Ever since it was announced that there would be a Mass Effect Movie, the question has often been raised as to why all movies based on video games lack merit. Part of the answer is illogical, poorly written plots. To illustrate this I have written as many plot holes in another example of such a movie, Pokémon: First Movie as I could find. Feel free to post more, or disprove one I posted.
*Warning, wall of text ahead.*
1. When Mewtwo is first born, how is it that he already knows how to speak?
2. To most inhabitants of the world of Pokémon, it is apparent that the safest way to deal with a rampaging pokémon is to put it in a Pokéball. Why is it that leading pokémon experts such as the researchers that created Mewtwo do not seem to understand this? Why didn’t they have an experienced pokémon trainer on hand to capture Mewtwo in the event that he gets out of control?
3. In Pikachu’s vacation, the flying pokédex stated that pokémon are friendly by nature and prefer cooperation to confrontation. If this is true, why did Mewtwo murder his creators? Shouldn’t he have cooperated with them in
4. After the destruction of the lab, Giovanni is shown smirking in his helicopter. What is he so pleased about? Is
it that his billion pokédollar lab has been destroyed, his employees are dead, or is it that the world’s most powerful pokémon has escaped?
5.When Giovanni meets Mewtwo, he says “Those fools thought you were a science experiment … but I see you as a valuable partner.” Why is Giovanni criticizing his dead employees for conducting the experiments he paid them to conduct? This seems illogical, if not distasteful.
6.Why does Giovanni tell Mewtwo that he needs power armor to focus his power?
7. Later on, a cloned Dragonite carries a message from Mewtwo’s personal assistant inviting them to Mewtwo’s palace. Why is Mewtwo’s personal assistant imitating Princess Leia?
8.When Ash and his friends arrive at the marina to take a ferry to Mewtwo’s Island, they discover that the ferry has been cancelled by Officer Jenny and a hippie.
Officer Jenny: It’s more than just a little rain. The Harbor manager thinks this could be the worst storm ever.
Hippie: Listen to me. The prophets have predicted the return of the Winds of Water. For years I prayed that mankind would never witness that deadly storm ever again.
Officer Jenny: Isn’t that just a legend?
Hippie: Ancient writings tell of the storm wiping out all but a few Pokémon. In their sorrow, the water of their
tears restored the lives lost in the storm. But there are no Pokémon tears today, just waters which no one can survive.
Officer Jenny: And that’s why the ferry has been canceled.
Who is this hippie? Why is Officer Jenny cancelling the ferry if the winds of water are just a legend?
9. Fergus states that he can make it through the storm because all of his Pokémon are water type, but later it is
revealed that he has a Nidoqueen, a Poison/Ground type Pokémon.
10. Ash and his friend later hitch a ride with some Vikings in a rowboat, but when the rowboat is struck by a giant wave, the Vikings’ costumes dissolve revealing that they are actually team rocket. Why did Team Rocket purchase costumes that dissolve on contact with water, for a mission that involves crossing the ocean in a rowboat?
11. On new Island, there are six wind turbines. It seems that Mewtwo has made asubstantial investment in green energy, but how will he pay for them? Once he has eradicated the human race, who will he sell power to?
12. During the time between Team Rocket’s arrival on New Island and Mew’s confrontation with Mewtwo, why does Mew spend all his time stalking Team Rocket?
13. When Team Rocket enters Mewtwo’s cloning lab, a large number of bionic arms grab Meowth, anddrag him through the cloning machine. Most Pokémon are brought to it with flying Poké balls,so why does the cloning machine have these arms?
14. Mewtwo hasmanaged to create “Super Clones” of Charizard, Blastoise, and Venusaur. These Pokémon are far stronger than their genetic “parents”. However, normal clones are usually less healthy than their
genetic “parents”, how did Mewtwo manage to achieve this?
15. Mewtwo later reveals that Princess Leia is actually Nurse Joy, whom he kidnapped because he needed her knowledge of Pokémon physiology in order to create his cloning machine. If Nurse Joy has the skills to build
cloning machine, why does she work in a Pokémon center? Can’t she get a better paying job?
16. Charizard states that he intends to murderall Pokémonwho obey human’s because they have disgraced themselves by doing so. However, when Charizard attacks Mewtwo without being told to do so by Ash, Mewtwo criticizes him for being poorly trained. It seems that Mewtwo is hard to please.
17. Mewtwo later sends a swarm of flying Poké balls tocapture all of the Pokémon with the exception of most of Brock and Misty’s Pokémon. Why spare theirs?
18. Mewtwo states that he will use the DNA of the Pokémon he has captured to createclones. However,he already has clones of Venusaur, Charizard and Blastoise, so why does he bother capturing them?
19. It is common knowledge that a basic Pokémon and its evolved stages share the same DNA, as when two evolved Pokémon reproduce, their offspring is born at its lowest evolutionary stage. So why are the clones already at the evolutionary stage of their genetic parents?
20. In Mewtwo’s cloning lab, Team Rocket sees the silhouette of Scyther, and misidentify it as an Alakazam. Their is not one Alakazam on the entire island.
21. Mewtwo’s cloning lab seems to have impotent security . The only thing in the lab protecting the machine from having it’s Pokémon stolen is a few bionic arms which are too weak to keep out a ten year old boy.
22.Why does the cloning Machine explode when Ash tears it's arms?
23.Whydoes Ash try to punch Mewtwo? Was he not watching when Mewtwo deflected Gyrados’s hyper beam attack?
24. Mewtwo later uses his power to suppress the special abilities of all the Pokémon, and forces them to fight hand to hand. This horrifies their trainers. Why do theyfind that it is morally intolerable to make Pokémon fight hand to hand, but okay to fight using powers like spitting fireballs?
25. WhenAsh is hit by Mew and Mewtwo’s energy blasts he turns to stone. Normalpeople disintegrate when struck by energy blasts, why does Ash turn to stone?
26. Ash is than revived by the tears of the Pokémon. Apparently Pokémon tears have the power to bring statues to life. Now there are many Rhydon statues at Indigo Plateau, a hellish place in which the dreams of countless trainers and their Pokémon are shattered. Whatis there to stop the Rhydon statues from being brought to life by the tears of the defeated Pokémon and raising hell?
27. After witnessing Ash’s miraculous resurrection, Mewtwo realizes that his cloned Pokémon and the normal Pokémon are all really the same. He then uses his telekinesis to launch his clones into orbit. Why does he feel
the need to do this, now that he has learned that his cloned Pokémon cancoexist with regular Pokémon?
28. Mewtwo then sends all of the trainers back to the mainland and erases their memory of the events thattook place on his island. Does this mean that their entire adventure was for nothing? All of the trainers will have forgotten everything hey learned about friendship and tolerance that they learned on New Island.
29. Mewtwo warps everyone back to the Marina and makes them forget everything. It is like the whole thing had never happened. However, Nurse Joy and previously stated that not all trainers managed to reach New Island, and only the worthy had come. How did Mewtwo bring back the Pokémon trainers who drowned on the way to his Island?
30. How is it that Nurse Joy knows how to build a cloning machine? Is it because she is a clone herself?