The ORAS Artwork Discussion Thread - Page 2
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The ORAS Artwork Discussion Thread

Master of all balls. Pocket Ace's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Do you guys think we'll get new Ken Sugimori art for the 135 Hoenn Pokémon and et

Even if I wanted it, I was a bit skeptical that all the Generation III Pokemon would receive an evolution at first considering that they're not TOO different from Sugimori's current style. And with Groudon and Kyogre featuring their old artwork, I'm kind of thinking that we won't have new Sugimori art for every single Gen III Pokemon, at least. I mean even if they had new mega evolutions, why wouldn't Sugimori draw new artwork of regular Kyogre and Groudon? I do think that the Starter Pokemon will get new artwork though, if only because they always seem to get new artwork for third versions/sequels/remakes.

Just compare this:

306aggron.png and 306aggron-mega.png

and that isn't as drastic as

207.png and 472gliscor.png

So while I'd wish for re-Sugimori of every Hoenn Pokemon, I don't think we'll be getting it. The Gym Leaders, Elite, and other important guys are definitely getting new artwork though. If only because they're probably all going to be redesigned. And like @The Guardian Sylveon said, the human designs are really different now, especially the eyes.

Credits to @Power of Aura :D

Default Re: Do you guys think we'll get new Ken Sugimori art for the 135 Hoenn Pokémon and et

I wonder if the drasticity of the change has anything to do with you comparing a full-on evo with a mega evo. -_-

Don't forget that it's not just Sugimori drawing the art anymore. Most of the BW character art was by Yusuke Ohmura, for example.

They had no problem revealing updated artwork for several Generation II Pokémon upon HGSS' announcement. The fact that Groudon and Kyogre are being showcased with their old artwork says a lot.
    Last edited by Silktree; 11th May 2014 at 10:25 AM.

I'd love it if we did, but if not, it's not a big ideal since they aren't that different. I do believe we'll get new trainer art though. The RS art style felt like a bridge between Gen II and Gen IV, with the new coloring style, but characteristics of the old style (thick legs, small eyes, etc). It'd be weird seeing the old portraits pop up before a battle.

Blog Entries

Well, if anything is getting new art, it's the base forms of the starters because they always do that. Even then, it will be new poses because Sugi's style has not changed since gen 3. If Ohmura took over for this, then I shudder as to what's going to happen. They plainly have different design philosophies and it will be very odd. The humans definitely will get a makeover, there is no avoiding that, but the new art we got for the World Tournament in BW2 will probably remain. Everyone's worried about the protags. I honestly don't know what to expect, but I honestly think May is too iconic for them to replace. We'll definitely have new Prof. Birch and new Wally. The dex will probably be redesigned, too. I'm unsure on the PokeNav, since the reason for it's existence can be subverted by newer items unless they want to make another page on the bottom screen. On that, I wonder what they're going to make of Devon Corp's research now that the Dream World has been realized (but has not been seen since the 5th gen). We still can't actually understand pokespeech, though, although the Amie allows us to bond with them in a way that's almost as good as communicating. (possible expansion? Who knows)
    Step into the Fairy circle

Master of all balls. Pocket Ace's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GoldStarz View Post
    I wonder if the drasticity of the change has anything to do with you comparing a full-on evo with a mega evo. -_-
    I was saying the art style was more drastic. Not the designs of the Pokemon themselves. And I used a mega evolution because Gen VI hardly has any regular evolutions.

But here:

600px-133eevee.png compared to 600px-700sylveon.png

Better? FRLG (Gen III) to XY (Gen IV). Still pretty similar when compared to Gligar and Gliscor.

And as for the trainers and such, it's true, I forgot that Ken Sugimori doesn't do a lot of the art anymore. It is Yusuke Ohmura. But in this case that shouldn't matter, since they are probably getting redesigns anyway. Sugimori still does the artwork for the actual Pokemon, though, I believe.

Credits to @Power of Aura :D

Quote Originally Posted by Pocket Ace View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldStarz View Post
    I was saying the art style was more drastic. Not the designs of the Pokemon themselves. And I used a mega evolution because Gen VI hardly has any regular evolutions.

But here:

600px-133eevee.png compared to 600px-700sylveon.png

Better? FRLG (Gen III) to XY (Gen IV). Still pretty similar when compared to Gligar and Gliscor.

And as for the trainers and such, it's true, I forgot that Ken Sugimori doesn't do a lot of the art anymore. It is Yusuke Ohmura. But in this case that shouldn't matter, since they are probably getting redesigns anyway. Sugimori still does the artwork for the actual Pokemon, though, I believe.
    And that's an Eevee, a Pokemon that's know for it's extreme changes...

600px-134vaporeon.png

Unless you think Eevee already looks amphibious.

Blog Entries

While I think Sugimori's current style was actually finalized starting with FRLG as opposed to RS (Colors and light sources in RS Pokémon are sort of diluted and subtle compared with anything from FRLG onwards, which are slightly more vibrant, and most Pokémon still looked less cartoonish), there's almost little noticeable difference for most people. Likewise, it's not as clashing as the 1st Gen and 2nd Gen artworks either.

As such, I highly doubt we'll see new artworks for Pokémon. I would like to see it so every Pokémon can look uniform, and as of now, 3rd Gen is the last one that doesn't look as uniform with the latter ones. However, as mentioned, the difference is really subtle. Only people with some grasp of art can notice it.

Humans will most likely get redesigns and new art to go with it, as was the case for the previous two remakes. Not sure if it will be Sugimori though (I think his last work with humans was HGSS?), but it's fine. I do like the new artist for humans, as well as the style Sugimori had for them in HGSS, so either will be good for me.

"I'm sure that we and Pokémon have helped each other and enriched the world since ancient times. These memories have been engraved in each Pokémon's heart! So, I want Pokémon and people to get closer and closer! As the Champion, I want to tell that to everybody!"

Blog Entries

I don't see any reason why the art wouldn't be updated. I expect NPCs, the PCs, Pokemon, locations, and the sort to get new Sugimori art. It has been for the past remakes, after all~ Besides that, there is a whole new art style now, specifically with the PCs having big-ass eyes, so they're going to have to update the art so that it's current~

Don't you worry, child... Fairy Ice Ricky's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow Fairy Ice Ricky On Twitter
    Follow Fairy Ice Ricky on Tumblr

I guess I'm in the minority here, but I would prefer that we don't get updated official artwork for Gen III/Hoenn Dex Pokémon. I just really like how the Gen III 'mon look in their official art work already, and if they change their artwork to something like what they did for the Gen V starters for B2W2, I would rather keep the artwork that they have now. (I personally thought the BW artwork for the Gen V starters looked much better than their B2W2 artwork.)

I definitely think the human characters should (and most likely will) get updated art work, but I would be very content with them leaving the artwork for Pokémon alone.
    ... See heaven's got a plan for you~
    3DS Friend Code: 5086-1398-3204
    3DS/Pokémon X Name: Ricky
    Friend Safari: Steel - Klefki, Ferroseed, Forretress
    (Message me if you add my code and would like me to add you back!)
    Claims: Lucario & Lucarionite ▪|▪ Teravolt ▪|▪ Fusion Bolt
    Red Orb ▪|▪ Boutique [Pokémon X/Y]

I'm ok with getting some new artwork, and not getting new artwork. It's not like we really need any, is it? Gen III art is fine as a visual medium and gives a very clear image of all the Pokemon's colours and details. I'm guessing the starter Pokemon will be exceptions, though. They often are.

On a human character note, I'd like to see all updated artworks for everyone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kayde View Post
    "OH HOT DAMN! LOOK AT THAT FUCKING BELL! IT'S SMALL AND CUTE AND HAS A FUCKING RIBBON ON IT'S FUCKING HEAD! BACK THIS PARTY VAN UP! I GOTTA CATCH THAT SHIT!!"

The only characters I expect getting updated artwork are the human characters (and that's if they redesign them). They showcased Groudon and Kyogre with their original art so I doubt they're planning to redraw Gen III Pokemon. Kind of hard to justify redrawing something like this when its still consistent with current art.

I'd rather Game Freak not waste time redrawing 135 Pokemon who's current art isn't even dated, and focus on making sure that all relevant characters in this game get artwork (e.g., Tabitha, Courtney, Shelly, Sean).

Blog Entries

Yeah, I'm hoping for redesigns as well, for the Elite Four, the PC, the Pokémon, the rivals (Wally and May/Brendan) and anything else. If they don't I'm gonna be sad and pissed at the same time.
    Touch not thy cat without a glove.
    Seriously, it's not a good idea.

...!

Blog Entries

Maybe he will make new artwork just because he enjoys it, does he need a good reason?
    Also I hope May and Brendan don't get such a drastic change like Red did, I'm not a fan of the new clothes for Red. (Though I wouldn't mind if Brendan lost that ugly hat.)

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast