SPOILERS: Character Redesigns: Yay or Nay? - Page 2

View Poll Results: Do you prefer the new redesigns?

Voters
204. You may not vote on this poll
  • I love them!

60 29.41%
  • I like the old ones better.

23 11.27%
  • I like some of them, but like some of the old ones as well.

89 43.63%
  • I'm really indifferent to this all.

10 4.90%
  • They just should have updated the old art rather than do redesigns.

22 10.78%
Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Character Redesigns: Yay or Nay?

Crimson Fighter PhilosophyPhlare's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Character Redesigns: Yay or Nay?

Aqua Courtney and Steven are great otherwise the new designs are awful. Freaking turning the coolest enforcer Tabitha into a fat dweeb sorry but that completely recontextulizes the character for me in a negative. The duller red with the vertical stripes doesn't work well which is why the female grunt is better cause she has less of that.

Not liking the shape of Brenden'as face it's the xy derp trio in PC form. And the outfits way too dull and simple. I thought they get more complex. The viral fan art was way better all the frills and colors. Also cause it's anime style appearance = traits they look weak as hell with out any longer sleeves or scarves or even a poofyer hat.

No it's Dr. Strange, love Joshawott's Avatar Forum Head
    Blog Entries
    Follow Joshawott On Twitter
    Add Joshawott on Linkedin Follow Joshawott on Tumblr Visit Joshawott's Youtube Channel

No knees, but bloody huge calves. Or maybe, her knees have dislodged?!

Jacen the Robot Floatzel Robo-Floatzel's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow Robo-Floatzel On Twitter Add Robo-Floatzel on Google+
    Visit Robo-Floatzel's Youtube Channel

My thoughts on the new character designs are kinda... mixed. Granted these are remakes of older games like HG/SS were, but these ones I find to be a bit odd, especially since I grew up with the original games.

Brendan and May are still the main characters, which brings back a lot of memories. The new designs are a bit of a fusion between the R/S designs and the Emerald designs, interestingly with the same poses as the original R/S artwork. I do notice that Brendan has a somewhat darker skin tone than he did before, though Hoenn does have a warmer, tropical climate than Kalos, so it's understandable if they are trying to make the locations more realistic.

No offense to anyone who likes them, but the only ones I am not too fond of are the Team Magma redesigns, such as Tabitha, one of the admins, being turned into a short, fat guy when he was a more slim person in the anime and the original games, although doing some research he was a bulky man in the Manga, though here he looks like a portly comic-relief minion you would see in a cartoon, while Team Magma's leader Maxie looks like a hipster version of Lysandre (well, they both lead terrorist organizations with a fire theme), maybe he's trying to tell Team Flare that "I was the fire-head before it was cool". Team Aqua, on the other hand, looks awesome and threatening, looking like an actual band of pirates, with Archie looking like a menacing pirate captain and his grunts and admins looking like scourges on the seven seas. Like Brendan they seem to have a darker skin tone.

Finally, we have Steven, the champion of Hoenn, who looks not much different other than his outfit, which seems a lot more formal and regal. He seems to be researching on Mega Evolutions, which he will likely have a Mega Aggron when we battle him, and it's kind of understandable since Steven collects rare rocks and minerals, and Mega Stones are no exception.
    Avatar made by MelNathea on DeviantART
    SEA WEASELS: The group for Buizel and Floatzel fans!

CLICK MY ROBOT POKEMON ARMY OR ELSE!!!!!!
    My DA account

Brandon's look just doesn't sit well with me. His Jacket (I assume that's what that is) looks more like a skin tight t-shirt. May's design doesn't seem to affect me that much. Hopefully Hidenori-sensei can make the clothes look a bit cooler when he get to the Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire story arc.

The Magma and Aqua admins looks kind of weird to me. The Aqua guy looks more bulky than he should.

sexy super cactus salad Rainbow's Avatar

I'm indifferent right now. Brendan and May didn't get changed to drastically so they look okay, although something is off about Brendan. They look better in-game though, and I like how their outfits show that Hoenn is a warmer region.

Steven didn't get too drastic of a change, so I like how he looks still.

Aqua and Magma...I don't even know. Once again, I hope bigger art or in game screenshots will change my mind, but they were near unidentifiable to me. I do like the grunts, but I really don't like how the admins turned out, especially overly-beefy Matt and fat Tabitha. I though Archie and Maxie were new people until I saw their names :/

Blog Entries

May's pretty hot.

make me worse Ivysaur's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Never expected the redesigns to be so radical. Honestly, I'd need clearer pics of the Magma/Aqua members before making up my mind, but I can say I'm not a big fan of the PCs. Steven is okay.
    And when he left us he said, "It's not so bad"
    That motherfucker, he took everything we had
    And when I'm thinking back, I'm counting all the ways
    Nobody helped us, so we dreamt of better days
    And we sang, "That's just the way that it goes"

Blog Entries

Personally I like these quite a bit. Brendan looks pretty cool in my opinion, and May is much cuter now. Steven is basically the same, but that's also good. He was always cool.

In the Teams I am kinda divided. I don't mind the redesigns too much in the vein that the original ones were barely recognizable or outstanding. In fact they were pretty damn generic besides Shelly and the bosses. And that's probably why I don't sit well with Shelly's redesign. I am still more fond of the original costumes however. Also, while the previously generic Admins stand out better now, they're certainly... cartoonish and exaggerated. Maxie looks way too much like Lysandre in the final battle as well. Archie looks kind of flashy too. Looks like all these guys took tips from Team Flare, which is... a mixed bag. It will take some getting used to, especially Shelly and the Bosses, but it'll probably be a bit better after getting clearer artwork.

Overall pretty solid and also very befitting the original games as well. I am pretty pleased overall.

"I'm sure that we and Pokémon have helped each other and enriched the world since ancient times. These memories have been engraved in each Pokémon's heart! So, I want Pokémon and people to get closer and closer! As the Champion, I want to tell that to everybody!"

No it's Dr. Strange, love Joshawott's Avatar Forum Head
    Blog Entries
    Follow Joshawott On Twitter
    Add Joshawott on Linkedin Follow Joshawott on Tumblr Visit Joshawott's Youtube Channel

Courtney got the best redesign to be honest. Maxie looks like Colress in sunglasses.

Visit Rocky505's Youtube Channel

The only thing I don't like about Brendan is his bushy sideburns.

"I'm just a passing through Pokemon Trainer,"

Imma drink my tears & cry Fairy Ice Ricky's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow Fairy Ice Ricky On Twitter
    Follow Fairy Ice Ricky on Tumblr

Overall I really like the redesigns!

I really like that Brendan and May's designs have that Emerald feel to them--I appreciated the splash of green they gave them back in '05, and I like it just as much now. I'm actually really ambivalent about Brendan's hair being longer--I thought it was cool how his original design made it difficult to tell if the white stuff was a hat or his hair, and that mystery is pretty much dead with the redesigns. But I also like how they're addressing the issue, so there's that.

The only thing I find weird about Steven's design is his skin-tight pants, considering he's wearing a suit outfit and not jeans. I don't think I've ever seen slim-fitting suit pants like that before, so it's throwing me off. But I really like how they took his bicep rings from before and lowered them to make them his (presumably) Mega Bangles. Also, why does he have two, while the player characters have one? Interesting...

Overall I LOVE the new redesigns for Team Magma. I especially appreciate how the new outfits focus more on its team color and less on the black that was in their original design--it stands out more to me in a good way for some reason. I don't really have any problems with the redesigns at all... well except for Tabitha's redesign, if only because he doesn't look like his original design in the slightest. I also really hope Maxie's glasses are somehow fog-proof, 'cause I feel that being around heat/magma so often would be annoying for him otherwise.

Team Aqua--I have questions. The grunts look great, but honestly the more I look at them the more I prefer their older designs better. I think I'm just really thrown off by how different they look compared to their admins/leader, since the grunts' color scheme is more focused on light blue & gray while the higher-uppers have dark blue-based outfits. And speaking of admins, why are their shoes connected to their pants?! That just seems like such a weird design! Is it to keep the water out their shoes? But then why don't they just wear really high boots instead?! I really like Archie's design, though, albeit it reminds me too much of Marlon with the skin-tightness, and I don't really understand the butt-cape. But I'm too distracted by his fit body to really care. :P

3DS Friend Code: 5086-1398-3204 ▪|▪ 3DS/Pokémon X Name: Ricky
    Friend Safari: Steel - Klefki, Ferroseed, Forretress
    Claims: Lucario & Lucarionite ▪|▪ Teravolt ▪|▪ Fusion Bolt ▪|▪ Red Orb ▪|▪ Boutique [Pokémon X/Y]

Until all changes are revealed I can't make a sound assessment, but from what we've seen the main and supporting cast received a moderate redesign. Team Aqua got some sun on their skin while Team Magma have sharpened their wardrobe. Brendan, May, and Steven retain some of their original attire with slight changes.

I am very pleased that GF didn't bite more than they can chew otherwise they would be chewed-out themselves.
    GPX+: | VDP:

I'm very happy with May's design, so I don't really care if customization comes back as I'll probably leave her on default. Brandon however I'm kind of neutral on. I like his new hair, but his face seems a little off even if he is no longer cross-eyed.

As someone who has always greatly preferred Team Magma in every way, I will concede that Aqua looks a bit better. They really went all out. Then again, there wasn't a whole lot to add onto Magma, so I'm kind of happy with their current designs. That being said, Maxie looks a bit more generic than he did before but he doesn't look bad. I also see nothing wrong with making Tabitha bigger seeing as everyone in the Pokemon universe is so tiny, it's nice to see a little variety.

Steven looks cool but I'm bothered by his metal sleeves. Why would you have metal sleeves?

Some days it's a good day to die. Other times it's just a good day to have breakfast.

Blog Entries

Well, I actually quite like most of these re-designs!

First of all, May looks great! I'm actually quite pleased with her re-design surprisingly enough as I was a huge fan of her bandana, but I feel as though her new design reflects the region's climate way better, just further emphasizing how Hoenn has a more warm climate compared to other regions (no snow area, a volcano, AND a lot of sea :P). And unff, the shoes match her outfit perfectly!
    As for Brendan, ugh... His hair is what mostly ruins him for me as I was a fan of his hat previously concealed almost all of hair. It gave him somewhat of a unique look, especially as the hat resembled hair too. His outfit isn't working for me either, it looks rather sloppy. I wish they'd gone further out with emphazising the tropical climate with his clothes, at least with the shirt. The goofy face his making isn't really helping him either.

Steven looks spectacular! Those cuff-like things look great on him, not to mention that it also further helps his image of using a lot of Steel-types. He overall looks a lot more smoother now, I feel as though he finally exudes an aura of being a Champion, so I'm very pleased with him.

Team Magma are very mediocre. The glasses and the overall pose Maxie's making sort of reduces his seriousness in my eyes and also makes it seem as though he's gotten a new personality. Tabitha looks like a completely different person that other that in looks also seem to clearly contradict his previous ''serious'' personality. He looks like he might be fun though, so other that he differs a great deal from his original design I'm actually a fan of his design. Courtney looks boring as her appearance gives off no personality whatsoever, and the same goes for the generic Magma grunts.

As for Team Aqua... asfasdgsadgdsagasamazing!!! I have always preferred Aqua over Magma merely because of their pirate-ish style, and these re-designs they've received does, to me at least, only further strengthen that vibe. The grunts looks great and I'm glad they kept their bandanas and their striped shirts (and now also pants!), the admins and Archie are those who truly caught my interest however! Archie looks amazing, I much more prefer this design over his old as now actually looks like a real pirate captain with that awesome suit. Matt's hands are crazy big, but I really like his bulky design and how he seems so confident, and I LOVE Shelly's hair! They both look really great and seemingly shine with personality, so I'm kinda sad that I've already decided to go with Omega Ruby as I'd love to encounter them in the game.

Blog Entries
    Follow Mijzelffan On Twitter
    Follow Mijzelffan on Tumblr

Only Maxie and Tabitha got worse, though Maxie could easily be fixed by removing the glasses. Shelly's new design is good but I also really loved her old design so I'm torn on that one.

Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast