Who is the better Champion: Adeku (Alder) or Shirona (Cynthia)? - Page 2

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Who is the better Champion: Adeku (Alder) or Shirona (Cynthia)?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Who is the better Champion: Adeku (Alder) or Shirona (Cynthia)?

Personally I like Adeku more because I see him as more of a "real" person. I like Shirona as a whole but I feel as if she's portrayed too much as the all-knowing woman who is insanely powerful. I think that sort of character works in the games where tbqh, its much harder to give a character several attributes but in the Anime I feel that this can be done.

I've also never fully understood the appeal in the messages that Shirona tries to convey. The "something will be born" message doesn't say anything as I see it. In the Anime Pokéverse you almost seemingly become friends, rivals or enemies (where rivals can be slotted into either friends or enemies depending on who it is). While they make Satoshi and co ponder what she means its not something that really effects them; they just ponder for the sake of it. However with Adeku when he talks about what the gang want to do once they've acheieved their goals it actually seems like something to consider and something the audience would wonder as well. I doubt we'll ever see any character ultimately achieve their goal and I think that's what make the thinking part of his message even better - its something you can actually speculate about.
    Hidden Mew and Yato like this.

Shirona overall is better in my opinion. While I agree Adeku has a more realistic personality, Shirona is just plain badass.

Blog Entries

Though I really enjoyed Alder in the anime(one of the few things they did right in BW -_-), Cynthia takes the cake for me. She just feels so much like how a champion should feel to me. She has this cool and calm attitude to her and her battle skills are impressive, plus her team is far more interesting than Alder's. Plus while she's very into her research and such, she still handles her position very seriously and she just takes on this role model type vibe, really seeming like she wants to have this certain impact on trainers that helps them grow as we saw with Ash and Paul. She's a great champion and I really do enjoy her character so Cynthia it is!
    Gengarzilla likes this.
    Claimed Monferno on 12/8/13

After Lance I say that Cynthia has a much better record in my book. But I like Alder more because he's more down to earth and mellow. Cynthis seems like someone that you couldn't really relate with.

Personality-wise, I admit I like Adeku more because he's hilarious. But Shirona is just so badass! She also made me love Gaburias, which I kind of hated before. Maybe I'm a bit biased, as she was the first female champion, but still, she's awesome :P
    つまらないものはさっさと消去。

i kil u

I love Alder's personality.

It goes without saying whom I'm going to vote for ;)
    If Alder is darkness, Cynthia is the bright light of heaven, combining excellence and elegance in one wonderful, almost supernatural person. What's more, she's got the aura of an angel, no, she is an angel and wherever she appears, it seems that the world is touched and blessed by a heavenly creature in order for us to get a glimpse of paradise. An angel with her mighty dragon, wonderful! If Shakespeare was still alive, he would probably dedicate a poem to Cynthia (Shall I compare thee to a summer's day? ...)

Oh I could go one like this for ages, but if you're interested just visit our Cynthia Club.
    MonkeyBoy210 likes this.
    "When I was younger, I used to dream of nothing other than becoming powerful through being victorious in battle, and so I trained endlessly."

Please visit the CYNTHIA CLUB

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Queen Cynthia View Post
    It goes without saying whom I'm going to vote for ;)
    If Alder is darkness, Cynthia is the bright light of heaven, combining excellence and elegance in one wonderful, almost supernatural person. What's more, she's got the aura of an angel, no, she is an angel and wherever she appears, it seems that the world is touched and blessed by a heavenly creature in order for us to get a glimpse of paradise. An angel with her mighty dragon, wonderful! If Shakespeare was still alive, he would probably dedicate a poem to Cynthia (Shall I compare thee to a summer's day? ...)

Oh I could go one like this for ages, but if you're interested just visit our Cynthia Club.
    Show of hands, people...who didn't see this coming?

I thought so.

I'm not sure what you mean by Alder being "darkness," but he is an idiot. I'd expect a Pokemon Champion (esecially one as old as Alder seems to be) to have some measure of dignity and wisdom, or at least common sense. Alder displayed none in his first appearance, and it's still tainted my perception of him. At least Cynthia's ever made an ass of herself.
    Velvet likes this.
    You Might Be A Redneck If...

You think The Nutcracker is something you did off the high dive.
    You've ever smuggled food out of an all-you-can-eat buffet.
    The original color of your carpet is an unsolved mystery.
    You've had more court dates than second dates.
    The closest you've come to royalty is eating at Burger King.
    You've ever stared at a carton of orange juice because it said "concentrate."
    You think a quarterhorse is that ride in front of K-Mart.

Blog Entries

Follow Yato on Tumblr

I like Alder better because he's more realistic - more humane. He's just one of those guys you can see anywhere in your neighborhood. But he's also got his own way of living. Something like, wisdom that comes with age? I like that part of him.

I do have to say I was a teensy disappointed when he did not use a Volcarona - which is most likely his signature pokemon...

You Are (Not) Fine Winterdaze's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Follow Winterdaze on Tumblr

I like Alder best, to be honest he's the only Champion in the series so far to share anything that I would consider to be actual wisdom. For a series that focuses so much the character's "goals" and treating them like the be and all of their being, it's refreshing to see a character that teaches about looking beyond that to the bigger picture. Also he's hilarious and completely subverts the expectations of how a Champion "should" behave, which is awesome in itself. The fact he's made mistakes himself and learned his life lessons the hard way makes him a more relatable champion to me.

I never really understood the hype around Cynthia though. Her "one life meets another" spiel sounds like something from one of those cheap Engrish greeting cards from the 99¢ store, and she's always portrayed as too perfect which makes her pretty unrelatable. She also doesn't have much in the way of personality either.
    TeddiUrsa and Kaitou Kid like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Winterdaze View Post
    I like Alder best, to be honest he's the only Champion in the series so far to share anything that I would consider to be actual wisdom. For a series that focuses so much the character's "goals" and treating them like the be and all of their being, it's refreshing to see a character that teaches about looking beyond that to the bigger picture. Also he's hilarious and completely subverts the expectations of how a Champion "should" behave, which is awesome in itself. The fact he's made mistakes himself and learned his life lessons the hard way makes him a more relatable champion to me.

I never really understood the hype around Cynthia though. Her "one life meets another" spiel sounds like something from one of those cheap Engrish greeting cards from the 99¢ store, and she's always portrayed as too perfect which makes her pretty unrelatable. She also doesn't have much in the way of personality either.
    winterdaze, I saw this coming and I understand your point BUT nevertheless I totally have disagree:

Alder's "What comes after becoming strong?"-line simply sounds like a cheap excuse by somebody who's tired of training and becoming stronger himself. You may call it wisdom, I call it laziness! (After all, why did Trip say that the battle against Alder would be the end of his era? Probably because Alder is already known in the Pokemon world for not taking battles seriously anymore)
    For Alder there is obviously one point in life where you can't get stronger anymore (but I doubt that he's reached it already... ) So, if I got Alder's words correctly, you can relax and retire after you've reached said point. And that's supposed to be wisdom? No way!
    Cynthia's motto, however, recognizes the fact that your journey never ends, that you will always and for all your life make new experiences ("When one life meets another life"). But there's even more to her catchphrase than meets the eye: Just in this week's US episode she repeated once again that trust (and consequently love too) was the most important thing between trainer and Pokemon. Here she says something that is at the heart of the Christian religion as well, namely that God is love himself and that life, yes even human existence itself only make sense if there are relationships between people. And if you believe in the Christian doctrine of Trinity, meaning that God himself is a relationship between three divine "persons", than a relationship between two humans and consequently between people and Pokemon alike is the greatest thing there is.
    And that's exactly what Cynthia's philosophy is all about. By no means is Cynthia denying that having fun is important too (she herself enjoys ice-cream as you all know), but her wisdom goes far beyond that pseudo-wisdom of Alder because it's deeply profound and philosophical and gets to the core of our very existence.
    DracoMan and Gengarzilla like this.
    "When I was younger, I used to dream of nothing other than becoming powerful through being victorious in battle, and so I trained endlessly."

Please visit the CYNTHIA CLUB

Alder definitely gets my vote when talking about anime characters. No other champion has shown there is actually other things in life than just Pokémon and battling – e.g. women. :D

Moderator Hidden Mew's Avatar Forum Head

I think I prefer Alder over Cynthia. He definitely has a more fun personality in my opinion and generally a more entertaining character. While I do like Cynthia's "When one life meets another life, something will be born message," mainly for its connection to Ash's rivalry with Paul, Alder trying to make Ash and his friends think about what they'll do after they've accomplished their goals felt more refreshing. There is such a strong focus on the journey in the series that they don't really think about life beyond their journey and their goal, so thinking about that part of their future seems more interesting and unique. Cynthia is more impressive in terms of overall power, but Alder's fun personality and different message he gave to Ash and his friends makes me like him more.
    HumanDawn likes this.

Registered User Trainer Gabriel's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Honestly, I really don't have a preference. I enjoyed both characteristics and portrayals as champions equally well, both Cynthia's calm and cool personality, as well her portrayed skills in battles - which was a good way to showcase a first time Champion in the anime - and Alder's laid back and friendly character - and don't forget his Brock characteristics. :D Both have also taught valuable lessons to the main trainers and their rivals that have made impacts on them during their respective regions.
    Last edited by Trainer Gabriel; 29th December 2012 at 08:03 PM.
    martianmister likes this.

Blog Entries

Follow Zexy on Tumblr Visit Zexy's Youtube Channel

Cynthia, by far. She is the definition of unbeatable (DPs Elite Four battling showcase helped a lot with that). The battle she got with Paul (and the lesson she gave him) just can't be compared to the thing we got between Alder and Trip.
    We can say that both of them over-rely on one Pokemon, but let's just compare the two. Garchomp is a freakin' fully-evolved three-stage pseudo-legendary dragon type, while Bouffalant is a non-evolving non-important non-catchy Pokemon BW decided to introduce the last second.
    Alder was seen quite immature (sleeping in battle, dating everyone), while Cynthia is a perfect woman, save her love of ice-cream. We can even see how kind she is, by leaving Ash, Dawn, Iris and Cilan all stay in her villa for so long. (Well, she left an injured Meloetta to return and get her charge from Bearticone, but she still doesn't sleep or forget names.)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast