When past main characters leave the anime, does it feel like their impact is lost?

View Poll Results: Does it feel like main characters significance is lost once they leave?

Voters
58. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, once a main character leaves, it almost feels like they never mattered in the next arc

31 53.45%
  • No, I still feel like said characters influence continues in the next arc they are not in

14 24.14%
  • I am undecided

13 22.41%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: When past main characters leave the anime, does it feel like their impact is lost?

Registered User The Fighting Misty's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default When past main characters leave the anime, does it feel like their impact is lost?

For example, no matter what a character contributed to the anime when they were around, once the next saga begins...it almost feels like they were never there, and any impact they had on Ash seems diminished.

Look at this for example, Misty and Gary motivated Ash in Kanto, but then in DP it was Dawn and Paul, and then in BW Iris and Trip.

Yet...once Misty left the anime, it felt like her significance to Ash and the show diminished. In all the sagas after Misty, she is very rarely mentioned and hardly ever shows up. Once Dawn left the anime, despite her being a co-star, it seems like her importance has now dropped.

Any impact Paul had on Ash, arguably his greatest rival, seems to not matter anymore in BW, as seen by Ash losing to Trip. While watching BW, you can arguably say the Gary and Paul rivalries feel like they no longer mattered.

Part of this, "fresh start" vibe makes it feel like everything the characters did in the previous series, or their impact on Ash, is essentially "undone" by the time the next saga starts.

Do you feel this way? Because when I'm watching BW, it honestly feels like Dawn, Paul, and the other DP characters no longer matter in terms of what Ash gained from them or their impact on the story. Much less ancient characters like Misty and Gary.

When a main character leaves the show, does it feel like their impact is totally gone in the next arc, due to their lack of mentions or influence on the show?

Discuss.
    Last edited by Musashi; 2nd September 2011 at 06:01 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: When past main characters leave the anime, does it feel like their impact is lost

No, everything they did still counts... they're simply not mentioned at all or rarely mentioned because they're not relevant to the current plot, but it doesn't erase their existence and everything they did...
    There's no reason to constantly mention past characters/events just to remind us they exist/happened... when past stuff needs to be mentioned - they're doing it

Not A Piece of Cake Bubble Frog's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Follow Bubble Frog on Tumblr

Default Re: When past main characters leave the anime, does it feel like their impact is lost

"Fresh Start" no, there impact is still here. Ash still traveled through Kanto with Misty and Brock. He still met May and Max in Hoenn. He still had a rivalry with Paul. He still traveled through Sinnoh with Dawn. He still had Barry for a rival. He still met Scott when he conquered the Battle Frontier. He still caught Chikorita, Totodile, Noctowl, Swellow, and all the other Pokemon.

Not a Power Ranger Ranger Jack Walker's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Visit Ranger Jack Walker's Youtube Channel

I'm undecided here. The characters still matter but they no longer have any significant on the next saga.

pokemon fan 132 pokemon fan 132's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Not really because everything they did for Ash and anime plot still counts not making it non existent or like it didnt happened.
    Each of them left impact on pokemon series from Brock helping to Ash growing in better trainer serving role as mentor,Misty who motivated him sharing rivalry at times setting up path for future females,May who introduced contests in this show being first additional co.star etc.

All past characters contributed to this shows popularity being important part of story at some point but considering how thy became less relevant to anime when they leave gives out impression how their significance to pokemon series as whole is diminished over the years.

If we are talking about impact which characters leave on fans going by their popularity which is going strong after years of absence as well some character departures(like Mists for example)causing backlash and lot of complaining show how characters are still considered as important part of this show even though thy are no longer relevant to current series plot being reason why they arent mentioned often.

Sadly unless writers change formula stopping with excessive character replacing things will stay that way with past characters continued to be treated like garbage which is put in trashcan so to speak.Adding new characters doesnt bring anything new on table(aside from new face in reality) causing consequence of many previous characters being left to rot in past with open stories(when much more could have been done with them)ending up forgotten just to end up in same boat after 4 years or so anyway being pointless.

It would be much better to reuse some of older characters developing them more being nice change strengthening connection to previous sagas but alas that probably wont happen.

cheese! Insanish Danish's Avatar Forum Head
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Follow Insanish Danish on Tumblr

I would say I'm undecided because on the one hand, when the characters leave there's nothing in the following arc that hints to them ever having been there (aside from cameos and such) but on the other, most of the characters who left have had a significant impact on the show in general, and they still have large fanbases. So I'm not really sure on this one.
    back to being a non-edible pastry

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

This is very debatable, but I know one thing for certain: Just because they're not in the show anymore doesn't mean they never existed.
    Step into the Fairy circle

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Samurott View Post
    This is very debatable, but I know one thing for certain: Just because they're not in the show anymore doesn't mean they never existed.
    Sure. But that being said, we don't see them in most episodes anymore besides the rare cameos they get, an older characters are very rarely mentioned out of the blue.

While watching Best Wishes, even though it takes place right after DP, it almost feels like Dawn and Paul were never there. Same for old characters like Misty and May.

Anyone remember that back when DP first started, it honestly felt like Dawn was the first coordinator of the show because neither Ash/Brock made any mention of May at all in the first 70 DP eps? I actually remember people being pretty angry that once Dawn said she was a coordinator back in DP3, neither Ash/Brock made any mention of having traveled with a previous coordinator, and May got no mention or reference at all until her cameo in the Wallace Cup.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Perhaps that is the ultimate intention of the writers. You must not dwell on the past. Does that make any of the characters' deeds less significant? I don't think so. The rest is more of an Ash reset debate, and I will not discuss that here.
    Last edited by Dragon Char; 19th June 2011 at 10:57 PM.
    Step into the Fairy circle

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Or perhaps they feel kids can only stay interested for about 4-5 years, they stop watching the anime, and new kids come in for the next arc.

I don't think the writers ever expected 20+ year old adults from the Kanto days to continue following the anime through each passing arc. I actually think the writers would be surprised how many older fans are still around.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gliscor'd View Post
    Or perhaps they feel kids can only stay interested for about 4-5 years, they stop watching the anime, and new kids come in for the next arc.

I don't think the writers ever expected 20+ year old adults from the Kanto days to continue following the anime through each passing arc. I actually think the writers would be surprised how many older fans are still around.
    Even if they did intend for the same viewers to continue on, the characters will probably get replaced anyway... it's refreshing, which is important in a long running show like this... so no, the characters weren't replaced simply due to "kids can only stay interested for 4 years"... it's refreshing + advertising

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

OR -

They felt that keeping something so repetitive would cause the show to become possibly dull with episodes that have a same plot-mechanism as an earlier one. Since Pokemon is a game and a series that has spread farther across the globe with a larger fan-base, I doubt writers will come to acknowledge that children only watch the show. In some cases, parents would be up early in the morning with their children watching Pokemon. That however is an assumption over in Japan. There are plenty of older Asians who are Pokemon Fans and the writers more than definitely would not think that a cartoon such as Pokemon will remain for children. Especially since the fan base keeps growing and I doubt that we're all children here on the forum or else...

WRITERs, YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG! D:<

Soulsilver

pokemon fan 132 pokemon fan 132's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gliscor'd View Post
    Quoted for truth,if pokemon forums like bulbagarden and other various sites are anything to go by as well all kind of petitions,youtube etc amount of older fans who are still sticking with this show is in least hand surprising with there existing thousands of them.

Some could say how people quickly lose interest in pokemon show moving on to other things not having anymore time for such things,but if online situation is anything to go by shows how good number of them despite everything continues to watch this show.Granted in area where i live pokemon hype is nowhere near like it used to be when pokmon was just starting but there is still some notable interest being present around here for it.

Its also intriguing how several people at one point stopped watching this show for one reason or another after few years picking up with this show starting to watch it again.

Quote Originally Posted by Piplup View Post
    Even if they did intend for the same viewers to continue on, the characters will probably get replaced anyway... it's refreshing, which is important in a long running show like this... so no, the characters weren't replaced simply due to "kids can only stay interested for 4 years"... it's refreshing + advertising
    Characters are being replaced for rather shallow reasons being combination of wanting to add new male or female eye candy for audience,because they dont care about characters they write for and of course advertizing plays certain part in whole thing as well.

Later part of reason applies more to May and Dawn but still current formula is just wrong in my opinion making it feel like any previous character who ever mattered in this show becomes as time goes on forgotten making it feel like he never left impact in first place.
    Maybe on fandom but on show its rather different story when its taken in account how references to previous regions and characters are with each passing region mitigated even more .

To me adding new characters doesnt bring anything new on table nor is refreshing causing consequence of many previous characters being left to rot in past forgotten just to end up in same boat after 4 years or so anyway being pointless.I know some will disagree but i dont see point in it.
    Instead of this repetitive cycle writers could instead refresh older characters who already has solid groundwork developing them further,updating their pokemon team along with opening new subplots and progressing unfinished ones definitely having potential bringing in end same entertainment value as new ones provide(sometimes even more)pleasing many fans and mantaining viewer interest.
    Similar to how other anime like Naruto or One Piece do.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

The only time I actually feel there is an impact is when they are mentioned in the next series onwards. Other than that I really dont.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

As outlined in the OP, this thread is about the impact on Ash being lost or not.

It is not about why the characters left, if they would leave anyway, if they should leave or if the writers think that people are still watching the show after 10 years.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast