What is your biggest complaint about the Pokemon series? - Page 25

View Poll Results: What is your biggest issue with the show?

Voters
352. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ash still being 10

163 46.31%
  • TR's serious change

51 14.49%
  • Changing the main characters each series

42 11.93%
  • Voice Actors

53 15.06%
  • Pikachu's power issues

103 29.26%
  • Ash never winning a league (not count Orange League or BF)

89 25.28%
  • A complaint not listed on this poll

143 40.63%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 25 of 40 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast
Like Tree188Likes

Thread: What is your biggest complaint about the Pokemon series?

Gonna be a tl;dr Master! Shinneth's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: What is your biggest complaint about the Pokemon series?

Quote Originally Posted by pokemon fan 132 View Post
    If you ask me i didnt even think Johto was worst saga in this show.,That title goes for Battle Frontier in my opinion being very disappointing and poorly planned.
    Well, good for you. And I wasn't asking you, for the record. I think Battle Frontier trumps Johto if only for the episode where Ash was possessed. To me, that trumps Ash becoming a Pikachu or whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by PokemonTrainerLisa
    Jasmine's return in D/P wasn't nostalgic for me either. But then again, how could it have been nostalgic for dub fans? Jasmine didn't even have the same voice that she had during Master Quest. :(

That's the same reason why I wasn't thrilled when May returned in D/P. To me, it just didn't feel the same as it did during Hoenn. You see, in my opinion, when old characters have a new voice, it makes the show feel less nostalgic. :/

I wish that TPCi would care more about voice consistency, like Japan does.
    You're entitled to your own opinion, but I felt the nostalgia just fine despite the change in VAs. Jasmine as character was barely memorable anyway, much less her voice. Weren't the majority of the female Johto Gym Leaders voiced by one person, anyway?

Anyway, for me the voice has little to no effect on my nostalgia trips, especially in the case of May. And I have a feeling getting VAs together to do a reunion sort of thing is a bit different from how they do in Japan. But I digress; voices are of no complaint to me. But my point of how Johto was royally fucked up in more ways than one still stands.

Chapter 19: Black Ice Battle!
    plurk | SPPF | dA | ff.net

Registered User The Fighting Misty's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Jasmine just had the usual bland adult woman voice. Most people here have no nostalgia for Jasmine since she didn't really do anything memorable in the first place

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gliscor'd View Post
    Jasmine just had the usual bland adult woman voice. Most people here have no nostalgia for Jasmine since she didn't really do anything memorable in the first place
    That's what I said when everyone was stoked about her cameo in DP. I like it when they bring aspects of the past back to the anime, but as far as character's go, I don't think they could have picked a blander one to make a come back. I know it was mostly game promotion but I didn't get why everyone was so excited about her return.

I mean, as far as Jasmine goes, she didn't have much going on in the personality department in the games, she was a bit shy and insecure...But in battle she'd be courageous...I don't think the anime strayed too far from that...And her apperance in the anime and in her specific clothes were traits that were faithful to the DPt/HGSS games.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shinneth View Post
    I think Battle Frontier trumps Johto if only for the episode where Ash was possessed. To me, that trumps Ash becoming a Pikachu or whatever.
    Haha, I didn't care much for Ash getting possessed. Don't get me wrong, it was a pretty good storyline. But Evil Ash creeped me out. O_O

And by the way, I LOVED it when Ash became a Pikachu. Ashachu was adorable. <3 I wish they'd bring him back (the writers missed a great opportunity to be creative).

Quote Originally Posted by Shinneth View Post
    You're entitled to your own opinion, but I felt the nostalgia just fine despite the change in VAs. Jasmine as character was barely memorable anyway, much less her voice. Weren't the majority of the female Johto Gym Leaders voiced by one person, anyway?

Anyway, for me the voice has little to no effect on my nostalgia trips, especially in the case of May. And I have a feeling getting VAs together to do a reunion sort of thing is a bit different from how they do in Japan. But I digress; voices are of no complaint to me. But my point of how Johto was royally fucked up in more ways than one still stands.
    Ah, I see. I guess you didn't get attached to the 4Kids voice cast the way that I did. That's okay. I understand. ^^

And hmm, I don't know about that. Actually, I think different people voiced the female gym leaders in Johto. I mean, I'm sure I would've noticed if Lisa Ortiz voiced half the Johto gym leaders. =P

cheese! Insanish Danish's Avatar Forum Head
    Blog Entries

Follow Insanish Danish on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by PokemonTrainerLisa View Post
    And hmm, I don't know about that. I think different people voiced the female Johto gym leaders. I mean, I'm sure I would've noticed if Lisa Ortiz voiced half the gym leaders. =P
    Didn't Megan Hollingshead voice most of them? I think Jasmine's the only one she didn't voice.
    back to being a non-edible pastry

Blog Entries

Oh yeah, you could be right about that. =O

Of course, I really don't know anything about this, because I didn't pay much attention to who was voicing the gym leaders back then, lol. I liked all the gym leaders' voices, but I never knew who voiced them. XD

Anyway, it wouldn't surprise me if Megan Hollingshead did voice most of the female gym leaders. Afterall, 4Kids liked having the same people voice multiple characters (although, this never bothered me, because I like ALL the 4Kids VAs).
    Last edited by Trainer Lisa; 8th May 2011 at 06:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PokemonTrainerLisa View Post
    Oh yeah, you could be right about that. =O

Of course, I really don't know anything about this, because I didn't pay much attention to who was voicing the gym leaders in Johto, lol. I liked all the gym leaders' voices, but I never looked up who voiced them. XD

Anyway, it wouldn't surprise me if Megan Hollingshead did voice most of the female gym leaders. Afterall, 4Kids liked having the same people voice multiple characters (although, this never bothered me, because I like ALL the 4Kids VAs).
    Well, for me Veronica Taylor's Ash it IT for me, I can only stand new Ash to a certain point.

Blog Entries

Aww, I'm really glad to hear you say that. That's exactly how I feel as well. =)

I couldn't enjoy the D/P series much, if any, because of Sarah's Ash voice. If her voice was closer to Veronica's, it wouldn't have bothered me as much. But in D/P, Sarah's Ash voice was completely different than Veronica's, which made it difficult for me to tolerate.

In B/W, Sarah has greatly improved. I can tell that she's much better. And as a result, I can tolerate Sarah's acting more than I ever could before. So, because of her improvement, I've been enjoying the B/W episodes more (which is a good thing).

But still, even though Sarah has improved in B/W, I'll always prefer Veronica Taylor for Ash. She's the Ash Ketchum that I know and love. And hands down, she was the best there ever was. <3

Registered User The Fighting Misty's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I think another reason is by the time Jasmine appeared originally, most people had stopped watching Johto due to being turned off by, "Johto league champions" fillers.

Kind of a shame, as Master Quest was the best Johto season where the writers finally started to reduce the filler and spend more time on mini-arcs and plot.

The writers reseting everything like nobody had backstories when thet could easily explain some things or change the main character.

Also, sometimes I get pissed because there are no levels or experience in the anime, so a recently catched pokemon can defeat an old pokemon. And pikachu should be level 1000000000 by the time.

---
    I hope the latin dub would make TR more interesting, because now they are boring ¬¬

I still have to say Ash's age even if every episode was one day. Which would be 1 year and like 9 months. He would at least be about 11 or 12 by now

Quote Originally Posted by Maya Oak View Post
    I still have to say Ash's age even if every episode was one day. Which would be 1 year and like 9 months. He would at least be about 11 or 12 by now
    Exactly. i've sait before if you count the episodes as days over 2 years could have passed.

"Strong Pokémon. Weak Pokémon. That is only the selfish perception of people. Truly skilled Trainers should try to win with the Pokémon they love best". -Karen

"For every pokemon there is a purpose and a time when it can shine under the sun." -Blue1225

Hi

I tried to read all the way through the forums to check for my own opinions, but there's so much so I'm going to just post, sorry if I'm repeating. Also, this is going to be a big one, so I've tried to indent it.

My biggest complaint of all time is that monotony of Ash's team. His Black/White team is possibly the worst offender.

1. Pikachu. Easily Ash's best Pokemon and the main face of the franchise. I have no problems here.

2. Scraggy. I like the type combination, but I just hate the Pokemon with a passion. The whole egg thing really doesn't appeal to me, after Ash's Phanpy, May's Eevee, Brock's Happiny and Dawn's Cyndaquil (plus off-screen Misty's Azurill). Its a little sook and weird looking to boot. It'd be fine if Ash's whole team weren't little nancies, he needs at least one bulked up fighter in there, and you'd think the Dark Fighting member would fit that category.

3. Tepig. Nice looking Pokemon, but ripping off the same storyline that they used with Charmander AND Chimchar, just makes you wonder if they're running low on ideas. I mention below how Ash's team lacks any senior battlers early in the season, I'd have loved to see Ash capture Heatmor.

4. Snivy. Brilliantly creative, unique and novel idea here. I have no problems.

5. Oshawott. Since when has Ash been eligible for a new starter Pokemon? He's been going for 15 years of anime. Also, this rounds off all three Gen 5 Starters in Ash's team, something we havent been subjected to since Johto (not something I've missed.)

6. Tranquil. This is the biggest problem I have. EVERY single season Ash captures default crummy Bird from Route 1. Pidgeotto was fine, it was a senior battler on Ash's youthful team and the only one who didn't follow Ash out of desire to. Its release justified capturing another one or two. Noctowl was the best successor to Pidgeotto, being a shiny pokemon with more psychic capabilities than plain old flying wing attacks. Swellow began to test my patience, its personality as a Taillow was nice enough to distinguish it, but I began finding Swellow more and more as a filler Pokemon and its victories had no real fun to them. Starly had a good start in its battles with Paul, and whilst Staraptor is a tank of a Pokemon, it doesn't stand out enough for me. I actually mistook Swellow and Staraptor for each other when watching the Lily of the Valley conference, I couldn't remember which had come from which generation. Now we have Tranquill, and I can't stand it anymore. Captured in an battle that is a hybrid of the anime's first Pidgey and Ash's Bulbasaur, it is a carbon copy of Trip's own Tranquill, and had one of the most lacklustre evolution stories since James' Victreebel. I was ecstatic when it got dumped for Swadloon, but then Ash brought it back and we returned to monotony.

Now that I've finished ranting about stupid birds, I'll lay out a few more of my problems with Ash's party:

- Ash's Torterra. Unlike his Infernape, which is arguably one of Ash's most personable pokemon, right up there with Pikachu, Charizard, Squirtle, Bayleef and Bulbasaur, Torterra lost all personality when it evolved from Grotle. It now exists only as a tank, but incredibly inferior to Paul's. Its role could have easily been filled by, say, Bastiodon.

- Giving Paul Gliscor when Ash was always going to get one. This makes two of Ash's main Pokemon appear to be wannabes when compared with Paul's team. It would have been best to just give Ash the Gligar and Paul the Gliscor, but not have Paul use Gliscor against Ash, it draws personality away from Ash's.

- Lack of senior battlers. I've noticed this especially in the episode with J, a monstrous woman who rampages with Salamence and Drapion at her disposal. Idiotic Ash takes her on with Turtwig and Aipom. If I were in his position, once Pikachu had been taken, I'd have been getting ahold of Charizard, Muk, Snorlax, Heracross and Tauros before I stormed her ship. Granted, the episode was well resolved (i.e. Turtwig didn't manage to knock out Drapion) but Ash has lacked powerhouses significantly in the start of any season. This has been a problem constantly arising. Kanto, Ash had Pidgeotto as a second-stage battler, the only one at his disposal (excluding Metapod) until Primeape and Charmeleon (both of whom subsequently ignored him). This makes Ash's only beyond Gen 1 Pokemon at his disposal Muk and Kingler, neither of whom earned a spot in his party! Orange Islands thankfully earned Snorlax, but he was quickly left behind. Johto had Heracross join a team already consisting of Charizard, but both were unfortunately written out and replaced with Noctowl. The problem exists that Ash always captures puny Pokemon and then raises all six, either losing tons of battles or pulling off unrealistic wins. Torkoal wasn't much of a battler, outshone easily by Gible in the battle with Tobias. Gen IV, as I've said, lacked enormously, and Gen V is just as bad. I'd have loved to see another Heracross or Snorlax, a constant stage Pokemon capable of losing and winning depending on the battle. Easy replacements could have been:

- Swapping Tepig for Heatmor.
    - Swapping Scraggy for Throh or Sawk.
    - Giving Ash Zangoose (imagine the battle with Seviper), Absol, Kangaskhan, or another non-evolver.

Thats it for my rant on Ash's party. I can only pray for no more birds. Sorry that it went for a while.
    Last edited by MBaxe; 15th May 2011 at 05:25 AM.
    Period pains? Try beating the Elite Four without healing your Pokemon.

OSHAWHAT?

Regarding age... although it's not my biggest complaint... I am glad that they actually went and said Ash's age is 10. But I do think in AG and kinda D&P he looked kinda older. His Japanese voice made him sound somewhat older. (Although his voice actor, and every living person, has been getting older, so... =P) It felt like, despite what was officially said, Ash was aging somewhat in 600+ episodes (no more than three years, though, but it would've been ambiguous how much he aged) but that he "got younger" in BW!. I am annoyed that he's still 10, but what can you do?

(I'm also annoyed with people saying Ash shouldn't age because they don't want to see a 30-year-old Ash.)

I'm sure I mentioned, though, that I think Pokemon originally was going to take place in real time, somewhat. Back when it was planned to last only a year and a half. By the end, Ash could've become 11, maybe. Not that every episode would take place in Ash's time one week after the next. But anyway. The Pokemon anime debuted in Japan in April 1997. Eventually...

• The bon festival episode ("The Ghost of Maiden's Peak") debuted in Japan around the time of Japan's actual Bon Festival of 1997.
    • There was a Christmas episode ("Holiday Hi-Jynx") scheduled to air around Christmas 1997.
    • Then there was a snow episode ("Snow Way Out") scheduled to air not too long after that. In January 1998.
    • There were two Tuesdays in 1998 where the Kids Day and Girls Day episodes could've aired, and those Tuesdays were both Kids Days.
    • Plus, if the series was only going to last a year and a half, I doubt Ash turning 11 would've been much harm. (Heck, I still don't.)

Although... I'm assuming that they didn't decide to make Pokemon longer than a year and a half until after the Porygon incident. And that by the time they were dealing with the four-month hiatus, one of the decisions they made about Pokemon was to keep the show going longer. If that isn't true, I'm pretty sure my theory's ruined.

Quote Originally Posted by Maya Oak View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue1225
    Exactly. i've sait before if you count the episodes as days over 2 years could have passed.
    You can't even use that exactly because of episodes where at least two days occur in the same episode or multiple episodes have the same day because it's a two-or-more-parter.
    Seasons =/= Regions

Page 25 of 40 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast