What is your biggest complaint about the Pokemon series? - Page 13

View Poll Results: What is your biggest issue with the show?

Voters
352. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ash still being 10

    163 46.31%
  • TR's serious change

    51 14.49%
  • Changing the main characters each series

    42 11.93%
  • Voice Actors

    53 15.06%
  • Pikachu's power issues

    103 29.26%
  • Ash never winning a league (not count Orange League or BF)

    89 25.28%
  • A complaint not listed on this poll

    143 40.63%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 13 of 40 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
Results 181 to 195 of 596
Like Tree188Likes

Thread: What is your biggest complaint about the Pokemon series?

  1. #181
    Misunderstood... GhostofLavender's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Lavender Town, Kanto
    Posts
    53

    Default Re: What is your biggest complaint about the Pokemon series?

    Quote Originally Posted by Simon Alexander View Post
    MMKAY, saw ep. 5 of BW and all I have to say is this:

    BIGGEST COMPLAINT OF THE NEW ANIME IS OFFICER JENNY'S DESIGN. UM WHAT?
    Right? The old Officer Jenny's design was so epic. This one's is so...not.

  2. #182
    Princess of Sinnoh martianmister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    3,224

    Default Re: What is your biggest complaint about the Pokemon series?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zeta View Post
    Ash never aging didn't annoy me because the game characters were always 10
    What is your source? I didn't see anything about their being ten years old after all these years...
    1. Satoshi/Ash Ketchum: 801 episodes
    2. Team Rocket: 736 episodes
    3. Takeshi/Brock: 633 episodes
    4. Kasumi/Misty: 282 episodes
    5. Hikari/Dawn: 201 episodes
    6. Haruka/May: 197 episodes
    7. Masato/Max: 192 episodes
    8. Iris: 141 episodes
    9. Dent/Cilan: 138 episodes
    10. Kenji/Tracey: 44 episodes

  3. #183
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    460

    Default Re: What is your biggest complaint about the Pokemon series?

    I guess that some things from the game never make it to the show. Its understandable, since some of the events from the game would be boring or impossible in the anime, but its still there. Like having the Elite 4 and Champion. It works in the game because the point of view is only your character, and a rival or two. But in the anime, it shows many trainers. If they accepted challenges from everyone, they would be backed up and never get anywhere. Also, no getting proper battles between Ash and the evil leader. This is because people like the Elite 4, Champion, evil leaders, etc tend to be shown more realistically as being far ahead of normal trainers, a gap which can't be closed in a few months training.

    Edit: Adding to that is characters from the game, most notably the rivals. Why didn't Silver show up as a second rival in Johto? Why didn't Wally and Brandon show up as rivals in Hoenn? I think Sinnoh did it right with Barry as a newb who does as well against Ash as would be expected with the experience difference, but still has all the personality of the games; the made up rival Paul still provided the challenge to Ash given the experience. I'm still waiting to see how the rivals are handled this time as Trip, being both a made up character and new, seems pointless as a rival to me from what I could tell in his introduction.
    Last edited by Pikachufanboy; 16th March 2011 at 09:28 PM.

  4. #184
    It's Detective Time! Cilan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Straiton City
    Posts
    267

    Default Re: What is your biggest complaint about the Pokemon series?

    My biggest complaints was the writers using Lance for the Aqua/Magma finale instead of Wallace or Steven, characters who were actually in the R/S games, and not giving Steven a bigger role. Steven helps you out a lot in the games but in the show they just treated him like a character of the day.
    Yato and Sith Droideka like this.


    ~Claimer of Pansage in the Claim a Pokemon thread~
    ~Claimer of Cilan in the Claim a Character thread~

  5. #185
    Who's The Star Now? watts63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    171

    Default Re: What is your biggest complaint about the Pokemon series?

    My top three reasons:

    -Ash being 10.
    -Pikachu resetting.
    -Ash not training his other Pokemon (Gible, Totodile, Kingler & etc).

  6. #186
    Cohen the Great 63cohen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1,477

    Default Re: What is your biggest complaint about the Pokemon series?

    At one point it was the voice directing, but after watching an episode of BW, I think it has gotten better. Don't get me wrong though, I still don't like the Ash voice, but Iris sounds perfect. Tom Wayland picked the right actress.

  7. #187
    Crazed Writer Simon Alexander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    All the way across the sky
    Posts
    99

    Default Re: What is your biggest complaint about the Pokemon series?

    Quote Originally Posted by Pikachufanboy View Post
    Like having the Elite 4 and Champion. It works in the game because the point of view is only your character, and a rival or two. But in the anime, it shows many trainers. If they accepted challenges from everyone, they would be backed up and never get anywhere.
    Wasn't it established in the anime that the league is an event held annually?

  8. #188
    LOVED IchibanCon Trainer Lisa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Charleston, WV
    Posts
    4,779
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: What is your biggest complaint about the Pokemon series?

    For me, I only have one major gripe with the show, and that is the voice acting. Basically, it's just Sarah's Ash voice, because that's the only voice I CAN'T get used to, no matter how hard I try. =/

    You see, I grew up watching the Pokemon English dub with the original voice actors portraying the characters. And as a HUGE fan of the 4Kids dub, I'm simply more attached to the original voice cast overall. To me, Veronica Taylor is and always will be, Ash Ketchum. I believe that Veronica and the other original VAs added so much personality to the show and their characters. I love ALL of the 4Kids dubbed episodes. And in my opinion, the original voice cast is just one of the things that made those episodes awesome. =)

    However, don't get me wrong. I can tell that the new VAs has improved a lot over the years. Even Sarah Natochenny has gotten better in BW. Which is a good thing, because it allows me to enjoy the show more. That's right, in BW, I am actually enjoying the TPCi dub (unfortunately, I can't say the same for TPCi's previous seasons, which I didn't enjoy at all).

    I like Eileen Stevens as Iris, and Jason Griffith as Cilan. They're both great!! =D

    As for Sarah Natochenny, in general, I have nothing against her. Her Ash isn't bad exactly, he's just different. Basically, I see Sarah's Ash as a completely different Ash (different from the original Ash from the 4Kids dub).

    Also, Sarah is good with all her female roles and Pokemon roles on the show. And, I'll admit, she has definitely come a long way since she first started voicing Ash. At least she doesn't make me cringe anymore, like she did back in Battle Frontier and season 10. XD And for the BW series, I have actually seen a BIG improvement in Sarah. She's actually doing well enough to allow me to enjoy the TPCi dub (and that's saying a lot). =P

    However, I still think Sarah needs to use a higher pitch for Ash (Veronica Taylor used a higher pitch for Ash during seasons 2-5, and that voice fit Ash SO well, in my opinion). I simply think a higher pitch fits Ash's personality better, because he has a lot of energy and he's supposed to be a young boy. But the problem is, he doesn't SOUND like a young boy. Sarah's Ash, to me, sounds older and more like a teenager (this worked fine in the D/P series, but in BW, Ash looks younger with his new design).

    About the "Ash is 10 years old" thing, that used to bother me, but it doesn't anymore. Nowadays, I look at the age thing as something small and trivial (it does bother me, just not as much as before). Now, I'm much more concerned about Ash's voice and how he's being portrayed, which (in addition to the writing) is truly what makes Ash's character who he is.

    And speaking of how Ash is being portrayed, I feel that Sarah doesn't use enough emotion at times. For example, when watching D/P and BW, whenever Ash is talking to Pikachu, to me, I just don't feel the strong bond that Ash has with Pikachu. I don't know how, but their big connection seems to have been lost (which is sad if you ask me). So yeah, Sarah needs to try harder and actually BE Ash. I mean, she needs to work on sounding more natural, and care about Pikachu the same way that Ash does. And overall, this is pretty much the only problem I have with Sarah's portrayal of Ash (aside from her current pitch and her yelling lines).

    By the way, as for the main characters being changed every series, I admit, I think it's weird how the writers keep doing this. It's something that I'll never understand, as it doesn't really make sense. Personally, I thought the Pokemon series was just fine with the original trio. I don't see why it was necessary for them to change the group. However, while Misty leaving the show was sad (Misty had great chemistry with Ash and Brock), I quickly got over that because I liked May and Max in Hoenn. Yes, I really enjoyed the Hoenn series, and May and Max are both great characters, in my opinion. But, as for which girl I like better, to be honest, I liked May JUST as much as Misty. Basically, I see them as equals (but if I had to choose who I like better, it would be Misty cause of nostalgia XD).

    With Dawn, I thought she was a nice character. But at the same time, I didn't like her nearly as much as the previous girls either. She was just okay, and that was my problem with her. She just didn't have many redeeming qualities, in my opinion.

    I hate the fact that they wrote Brock off for good, though. He was a great character, and I enjoyed his flirting with Nurse Joy, Officer Jenny, and the girls-of-the-day. I will miss Brock... =[

    Overall, on one hand, the "changing the main characters" thing bothers me a little bit. I find it strange how they won't STICK with one main cast of characters (like they did with the original trio) and keep them for a long time. And, I can also sympathize with other fans, because I don't think it's necessary for the writers to replace the main characters with every new series.

    However, on the other hand, I feel this problem can be overlooked, if you like the new characters enough. I mean, personally, it's not a big deal to me, because I always like the new characters. And while I do feel this is a problem with the show, it's something I can easily overlook while watching Pokemon. So, I guess you can say I am neutral when it comes to the main characters leaving the show (I don't agree with the writers doing this, but I'm not bothered by the change much, and I can easily accept the new characters).
    Last edited by Trainer Lisa; 17th March 2011 at 01:46 AM.

  9. #189
    Registered User Paulisthebest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Veilstone City
    Posts
    1,090
    Blog Entries
    12

    Default Re: What is your biggest complaint about the Pokemon series?

    Quote Originally Posted by PokemonTrainerLisa View Post
    For me, I only have one major gripe with the show, and that is the voice acting. Basically, it's just Sarah's Ash voice, because that's the only voice I CAN'T get used to, no matter how hard I try. =/

    You see, I grew up watching the Pokemon English dub with the original voice actors portraying the characters. And as a HUGE fan of the 4Kids dub, I'm simply more attached to the original voice cast overall. To me, Veronica Taylor is and always will be, Ash Ketchum. I believe that Veronica and the other original VAs added so much personality to the show and their characters. I love ALL of the 4Kids dubbed episodes. And in my opinion, the original voice cast is just one of the things that made those episodes awesome. =)

    However, don't get me wrong. I can tell that the new VAs has improved a lot over the years. Even Sarah Natochenny has gotten better in BW. Which is a good thing, because it allows me to enjoy the show more. That's right, in BW, I am actually enjoying the TPCi dub (unfortunately, I can't say the same for TPCi's previous seasons, which I didn't enjoy at all).

    I like Eileen Stevens as Iris, and Jason Griffith as Cilan. They're both great!! =D

    As for Sarah Natochenny, in general, I have nothing against her. Her Ash isn't bad exactly, he's just different. Basically, I see Sarah's Ash as a completely different Ash (different from the original Ash from the 4Kids dub).

    Also, Sarah is good with all her female roles and Pokemon roles on the show. And, I'll admit, she has definitely come a long way since she first started voicing Ash. At least she doesn't make me cringe anymore, like she did back in Battle Frontier and season 10. XD And for the BW series, I have actually seen a BIG improvement in Sarah. She's actually doing well enough to allow me to enjoy the TPCi dub (and that's saying a lot). =P

    However, I still think Sarah needs to use a higher pitch for Ash (Veronica Taylor used a higher pitch for Ash during seasons 2-5, and that voice fit Ash SO well, in my opinion). I simply think a higher pitch fits Ash's personality better, because he has a lot of energy and he's supposed to be a young boy. But the problem is, he doesn't SOUND like a young boy. Sarah's Ash, to me, sounds older and more like a teenager (this worked fine in the D/P series, but in BW, Ash looks younger with his new design).

    About the "Ash is 10 years old" thing, that used to bother me, but it doesn't anymore. Nowadays, I look at the age thing as something small and trivial (it does bother me, just not as much as before). Now, I'm much more concerned about Ash's voice and how he's being portrayed, which (in addition to the writing) is truly what makes Ash's character who he is.

    And speaking of how Ash is being portrayed, I feel that Sarah doesn't use enough emotion at times. For example, when watching D/P and BW, whenever Ash is talking to Pikachu, to me, I just don't feel the strong bond that Ash has with Pikachu. I don't know how, but their big connection seems to have been lost (which is sad if you ask me). So yeah, Sarah needs to try harder and actually BE Ash. I mean, she needs to work on sounding more natural, and care about Pikachu the same way that Ash does. And overall, this is pretty much the only problem I have with Sarah's portrayal of Ash (aside from her current pitch and her yelling lines).

    By the way, as for the main characters being changed every series, I admit, I think it's weird how the writers keep doing this. It's something that I'll never understand, as it doesn't really make sense. Personally, I thought the Pokemon series was just fine with the original trio. I don't see why it was necessary for them to change the group. However, while Misty leaving the show was sad (Misty had great chemistry with Ash and Brock), I quickly got over that because I liked May and Max in Hoenn. Yes, I really enjoyed the Hoenn series, and May and Max are both great characters, in my opinion. But, as for which girl I like better, to be honest, I liked May JUST as much as Misty. Basically, I see them as equals (but if I had to choose who I like better, it would be Misty cause of nostalgia XD).

    With Dawn, I thought she was a nice character. But at the same time, I didn't like her nearly as much as the previous girls either. She was just okay, and that was my problem with her. She just didn't have many redeeming qualities, in my opinion.

    I hate the fact that they wrote Brock off for good, though. He was a great character, and I enjoyed his flirting with Nurse Joy, Officer Jenny, and the girls-of-the-day. I will miss Brock... =[

    Overall, on one hand, the "changing the main characters" thing bothers me a little bit. I find it strange how they won't STICK with one main cast of characters (like they did with the original trio) and keep them for a long time. And, I can also sympathize with other fans, because I don't think it's necessary for the writers to replace the main characters with every new series.

    However, on the other hand, I feel this problem can be overlooked, if you like the new characters enough. I mean, personally, it's not a big deal to me, because I always like the new characters. And while I do feel this is a problem with the show, it's something I can easily overlook while watching Pokemon. So, I guess you can say I am neutral when it comes to the main characters leaving the show (I don't agree with the writers doing this, but I'm not bothered by the change much, and I can easily accept the new characters).
    Thanks, someone that understands why I have a problem with Ash's voice it is worse than TR's zombie way of talking seriously if you want them to be serious let them be serious, but the way they talk is not matching up to their behavior.

    Brock...yeah it was sad to see him go and I liked May/Misty a lot as well. Dawn never grew on me like the other characters did that traveled with Ash she never did anything that "wow-ed" me you know?

  10. #190
    smooth criminal Muku.Bird's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    267

    Default Re: What is your biggest complaint about the Pokemon series?

    Well, the writer's inability to break away from some formulas. It's always one fire type, one grass type, one water, one flying and one wild card; it makes Ash's team really predictable. They've shaken it up a bit in BW by giving Ash two wildcards and make him rotate but it's a bit sad when there are plenty of more interesting pokemon out there for them to chose from and they always go for the basics. I love Ash's current team and all of his previous teams but honestly.

    Sigh.

    Another problem I have would be the disproportionate screentime distrubuted to all of Ash's pokemon. That's pretty much it. Ash's FOREVER TEN age doesn't bother me. If you write fic or anything, just bump it up to thirteen. Who cares.

    Third problem? That Ash is always the underdog. Sorry, coming right after the awesome of the Sinnoh League, Ash getting whooped by Trip breaks my suspension of disbelief. I also don't really understand what Ash and Trip are suppose to be rivals over either. Writers, FIX THIS. Or get rid of Trip and bring in N.

    and then there's Team Rocket suddenly becoming boring but I've pretty much gotten over that. Just waiting for the moment they're gone for good and holding onto my theory that before they got sent off to Unova, Giovanni brainwashed their personalities away, leaving them as boring "badasses". Then their pokemon will sneak their way into Unova, open their hearts with the powrer of friendship and the Team Rocket I adored in the past will return.

  11. #191
    Not even my final form GreatLiver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Straight Outta Africa
    Posts
    3,178

    Default Re: What is your biggest complaint about the Pokemon series?

    If you all quit complaining about Ash being 10, maybe you'd stop thinking about it and it wouldn't bother you. Sure he's 10, but you really don't have to picture him that old. You picture him however old you want to. It's not a series where age or time really has a huge impact or role, so it honestly doesn't matter.

    I remember watching Recess for years as a kid. From like 1st grad and probably watched it sporadically until like late middle school. Even though they were fourth graders, I always just kinda pictured them as my age. Watch the show the way you want to, and quit complaining about it.

  12. #192
    Gonna be a tl;dr Master! Shinneth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Kentucky. The boonies.
    Posts
    1,224
    Blog Entries
    29

    Default Re: What is your biggest complaint about the Pokemon series?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cilan View Post
    My biggest complaints was the writers using Lance for the Aqua/Magma finale instead of Wallace or Steven, characters who were actually in the R/S games, and not giving Steven a bigger role. Steven helps you out a lot in the games but in the show they just treated him like a character of the day.
    I think I totally forgot about that particular misstep of the series of missteps called "how AG handled Team Aqua & Magma". Geez, that was one of the biggest kicks in the nads to the games they were based on. Good thing they learned from that mistake; I'd probably ragequit to see Lance appear out of nowhere again in Sinnoh when Cyrus is about to create his new universe. I'm glad Wallace got some belated spotlight time, but poor Steven got screwed more than anyone else in AG.

    Quote Originally Posted by Muku.Bird
    Well, the writer's inability to break away from some formulas. It's always one fire type, one grass type, one water, one flying and one wild card; it makes Ash's team really predictable.
    Forgot about this, too. Mainly because in AG and DP it wasn't as obvious to me right up front because they didn't have Ash catching all of the starters of those regions. By all means they should have mixed it up a little then since there was an opportunity to be had there, but what's done is done. Ash rotating for BW is a weird new concept and it doesn't really fit his character IMO (leagues aside), but we'll see how that goes. But BW's pretty much turned me into an eternal pessimist, so naturally I think they'll screw it up. It doesn't help that they were completely phoning in Ash catching Unova's starters, either... or at least Tepig's. If they were going to be that half-assed with its backstory, why did they even bother?

    Quote Originally Posted by PokemonTrainerLisa
    You see, I grew up watching the Pokemon English dub with the original voice actors portraying the characters.
    As did the majority of us here. And going by the poll, a lot of us got over that, myself included. Hell, it took me 2 weeks to get used to the new voices. Not saying you can't not still hate the new voices or anything, but using a line like that to start with isn't doing much to justify your point, since... a line like that describes a lot of us here.

    Quote Originally Posted by GreatAiver
    If you all quit complaining about Ash being 10, maybe you'd stop thinking about it and it wouldn't bother you.
    If you had said this before Black & White/Best Wishes debuted, you'd be justified. But now that they went out of their way to openly state he's still 10 after over a decade of leaving the topic of his age ambiguous, added with Iris calling him a little kid multiple times each episode... it's a little hard to not think about it, wouldn't you think? Time IS (or SHOULD BE) a factor in this series as one episode is always a direct continuation after the other, and this is an ongoing series where past series are recognized. You really can't use a series like Recess to compare the two, because like the Simpsons, it's another apples and oranges thing. Recess isn't structured like Pokemon, so the lack of time/aging in that series isn't an issue at all.

    Really, it would've been better if they just went without mentioning his age completely in BW. Let people believe what they want to believe. But nope, it didn't happen that way. This isn't a good time to tell people to stop complaining about it, seriously.

    Chapter 19: Black Ice Battle!
    plurk | SPPF | dA | ff.net

  13. #193
    Registered User The Fighting Misty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    28,646
    Blog Entries
    49

    Default Re: What is your biggest complaint about the Pokemon series?

    There are people who don't understand why they replace characters? Is this a joke? Even a 7 year old can understand why the writers get rid of old characters.

    The original trio probably shouldn't have been reunIted for Johto either, it just wasn't treated as a new series the way the others are.

  14. #194
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    460

    Default Re: What is your biggest complaint about the Pokemon series?

    Quote Originally Posted by Simon Alexander View Post
    Wasn't it established in the anime that the league is an event held annually?
    Yeah, and that's what I meant about being realistic.

  15. #195
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    44

    Default Re: What is your biggest complaint about the Pokemon series?

    TR's going back to goofyness from seriousness change
    Thats it

Page 13 of 40 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •