To what degree was Johto flawed? - Page 8

Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
Like Tree114Likes

Thread: To what degree was Johto flawed?

Registered User The Fighting Misty's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: To what degree was Johto flawed?

Johto's length was a problem, but its really what actually happened (or didn't happen?) in it that was the real issue.
    Rex Kamex likes this.

Bonded Forever Misty Calls Masquerain's Avatar
    Blog Entries

It wasn't flawed at all, in fact, the only episode I really didn't like was Hoenn Alone (god that was terrible), but then, I almost can't consider it a Johto episode so much as a branch between advanced and Master quest. Things did happen in Johto, and even though it had fillers, they were all awesome! Illusion Confusion, The Poke Spokes Man, Sick Daze, etc. were all top episodes.

Moderator Hidden Mew's Avatar Forum Head

Quote Originally Posted by Misty Calls Masquerain View Post
    It wasn't flawed at all, in fact, the only episode I really didn't like was Hoenn Alone (god that was terrible), but then, I almost can't consider it a Johto episode so much as a branch between advanced and Master quest. Things did happen in Johto, and even though it had fillers, they were all awesome! Illusion Confusion, The Poke Spokes Man, Sick Daze, etc. were all top episodes.
    I liked Johto too and most of the filler episodes were entertaining, but I wouldn't say that it wasn't flawed at all. The pacing was pretty bad and they could have done a better job with his Johto Pokemon as a whole.

Blog Entries

The pacing wasn't the best but it doesn't have much to do with the quality itself

Blog Entries

The pacing wasn't the best but it doesn't have much to do with the quality itself
    Yes it does. So many of those tedious filler episodes were only created simply to extend Johto's length till the R/S games came out. Those episodes had absolutely no thought or effort put into them whatsoever, which is what made the saga suffer in quality.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Fighting Misty View Post
    Yes it does. So many of those tedious filler episodes were only created simply to extend Johto's length till the R/S games came out. Those episodes had absolutely no thought or effort put into them whatsoever, which is what made the saga suffer in quality.
    They did have effort put into them, I don't know about you, but I can see they really tried. And what do you mean there was no thought? Each one had something to offer.

I don't see why the pacing wouldn't have anything to do with the quality of the arc itself. While most of the filler episodes weren't that bad for me, it did make the pacing move at a pretty slow rate and that impacted the saga's overall quality.

Quote Originally Posted by The Fighting Misty
    I don't think that those episode had no thought or effort put into them. Regardless of the quality, it does take time and effort for writers to create an episode for a weekly long-running series.

Blog Entries

Follow Yato on Tumblr

The episodes could've been more relevant to the games, tbh. Youngster Joey anyone? Getting medicine for a sick Denryu all across the ocean? Curing a sick Miltank? Meeting Bill again?

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Blueberry View Post
    The episodes could've been more relevant to the games, tbh. Youngster Joey anyone? Getting medicine for a sick Denryu all across the ocean? Curing a sick Miltank? Meeting Bill again?
    I'm pretty sure that they did get medicine for the sick Ampharos. I think it was one of the trainers from Jasmine's Gym that got it instead of Ash and it was in the opening of where Ash battles Chuck. Incorporating more of the events from the games like that might have helped a bit, but not a lot of them sound like something that could full up a whole episode.

Blog Entries

Follow Yato on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Hidden Mew View Post
    I'm pretty sure that they did get medicine for the sick Ampharos. I think it was one of the trainers from Jasmine's Gym that got it instead of Ash and it was in the opening of where Ash battles Chuck. Incorporating more of the events from the games like that might have helped a bit, but not a lot of them sound like something that could full up a whole episode.
    Yeah. I meant, having Ash go all the way across the ocean to get the medicine, battle Chuck, get the badge, and then come back to Olivine and battle Jasmine.

If most of the episodes had been based more on the games, then it would've been less tedious to watch. People would've enjoyed the series better instead have the feeling they're enduring it. Fillers can be fun on their own, but including more details of the games in the episodes would've helped a lot. "Oh, yeah! I remember there was a place like that in the games!", "So that guy is actually the school boy on route 00?", "I knew the rocks in that town weren't there for no reason!".

Or, "What, so this place was actually in the games? I'd gotta check that out sometime!"

More positive reactions could be drawn from the viewers than negative ones.

The anime is based on the games anyways, so having more connection between the two would've given the anime a boost, since back then, we were all kids who actually played the games as well.

Yeah. I meant, having Ash go all the way across the ocean to get the medicine, battle Chuck, get the badge, and then come back to Olivine and battle Jasmine.
    Unless Ash was stuck there, I don't think he would battle Chuck before giving the medicine to Jasmine. Plus, they wouldn't have the Whirl Islands arc. Honestly, I wasn't a huge fan of that arc, although the episodes with Team Rocket trying to get Lugia were pretty good and there were a couple of decent fillers in there, and the Whirl Cup wasn't particularly good either, but I was okay with waiting awhile until Ash got back to Olivine to battle Jasmine.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Blueberry
    If most of the episodes had been based more on the games, then it would've been less tedious to watch. People would've enjoyed the series better instead have the feeling they're enduring it. Fillers can be fun on their own, but including more details of the games in the episodes would've helped a lot. "Oh, yeah! I remember there was a place like that in the games!", "So that guy is actually the school boy on route 00?", "I knew the rocks in that town weren't there for no reason!".

Or, "What, so this place was actually in the games? I'd gotta check that out sometime!"

More positive reactions could be drawn from the viewers than negative ones.

The anime is based on the games anyways, so having more connection between the two would've given the anime a boost, since back then, we were all kids who actually played the games as well.
    It wouldn't have hurt if they had been able to use some of the events from the games to create some episodes for the series. Given how long they needed Johto to be and there are some events from the games that probably couldn't have worked for a full episode, I can understand why they didn't go that route in a way.

Blog Entries

Follow Yato on Tumblr

@Hidden Mew; Yes, they couldn't have made every single episode based on the games - but likewise, the anime team didn't have to make up the majority of the episodes by themselves when the games provided more than enough events for them to use. I'm not saying everything had to be based on the games. The majority of the fillers had nothing to do with the games anyways, so instead of pointless fillers where people can't connect or sympathize with, incorporating some events from the games once in a while would've been refreshing.

Blog Entries

If you cut out a good 60 episodes out of Johto, you are left with a halfway decent arc otherwise. Still wouldn't change the way the Johto Pokemon were handled, or the lack of development though.

Add CliveKoopa on Facebook
    Visit CliveKoopa's Youtube Channel

Johto wasn't flawed at all in anyway more or less than any of the other sagas. I think that Johto had many great episodes and it showed the pokemon world for what it is and that it wasn't just about gym leaders.

Blog Entries

The Johto seasons were handled very badly to the point where it felt like the writers weren't sure what to do with Shudo being gone. I wonder if there was some behind the scenes rule that they couldn't develop Ash's Johto Pokemon or Misty/Brock in a way while Shudo was still more or less around, depending on what he would do.

Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast