What constitutes a filler? - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: What constitutes a filler?

Moderator Hidden Mew's Avatar Forum Head

Default Re: What constitutes a filler?

To me, a filler episode is where nothing significant happens to the story or the characters. It couldn't include things like Pokemon captures, evolutions, Pokemon learning new moves, important battles such as against main rivals, tournaments, Gyms, Contests, Leagues and Grand Festival, character development for the trainers or their Pokemon and information that advances a storyline and/or subplot. Basically, it's an episode that a person can skip and wouldn't be confused about future events of that series/saga later on.

RONALDO!!
    Blog Entries

This is a gold standard for making a filler..

COTD - check
    POTD(s) - check
    irrelevant plot eppy - check
    little to no on screen training - check
    No gym battles - check
    No captures/releases - check
    SammyW27 likes this.
    For the last time, BW is NOT a reboot.
    (Copy and paste this to your signature if you agree)

Trophies

I am so glad someone asked this, there has been so many times I have wanted to correct people when they say an episode is a filler...

For example, I was watching BW089 recently, and someone in the comment box commented in reply to someones comment "yeah, its because its a filler". I dont know who or what he was replying to, but I wanted to tell him it was not a filler.

Why? Because I class a filler as an episode created for no significant event to happen and to show what the main characters do in between earning badges. A good filler normally includes a character of the day in it. So that is why I thought BW089 was not a filler- Iris caught a dragonite.

Reading Hidden mew's post I agree with all of what he said but personally, I dont think that a pokemon revealing that is has a new move that significant, but of course thats just me :)
    Yankees4life likes this.

Huge thanks to Blue Dragon for my EPIC avatar & sig

Blog Entries

Follow Zexy on Tumblr Visit Zexy's Youtube Channel

I categorize fillers this way:

Fillers are episodes where there are no official battles (M10 Alamos Contest being the only exception) and no permament changes to the cast or their Pokemon (NOT the moves, aka BW087 was a filler!).
    I sometimes consider story arcs themselves being fillers towards the rest of the series, Pokemon Summer Academy/Whirl Cup (the tournament only, NOT Misty's Corsola) being the most prominent of them. These kinds of things can be skipped without any plot inconsistencies.
    There are also episodes where nothing important happens, yet they showcase a game location (most of the Season 6 Aqua/Magma episodes). I call those "semi-fillers", cuz they can be skipped without any inconsistency.

It's true that filler is difficult to define. It's up to any personal opinion to consider an episode filler or not.

I got a scum result on that bush! LYNCH IT LYNCH IT LYNCH IT!

pokemon fan 132 pokemon fan 132's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BlueWartortle View Post
    I sometimes consider story arcs themselves being fillers towards the rest of the series, Pokemon Summer Academy/Whirl Cup (the tournament only, NOT Misty's Corsola) being the most prominent of them. These kinds of things can be skipped without any plot inconsistencies.
    If you ask me Whirl Cup wasn't filler because it dealt with Misty water master goal. Foreshadowing happened in "Around the Whirlpool"when they met prof. Elm again explaining about format and how to qualify for it giving to Ash and co insight in competition history and connection between Alpha Omega title winner achieves and water heroes(convoluted form of water pokmon masters) in past.

Although i can see from where your coming due to such plots not being connected with rest of things happening in show. However by my definition of what can be considered plot or non plot related episodes i consider episodes which are diving into someone past, provide character development for them, pokemon or deal with their careers having connection with them to be non fillers. Regardless of how inconsistent such things end up treated since they're still part of someone story.

Blog Entries

Although i can see from where your coming due to such plots not being connected with rest of things happening in show.
    When I mean Whirl Cup, I mean from "Around the Whirlpool" to "A Promise is a Promise". If it weren't for that Corsola...
    Similar goes to the Larvitar plot. Johto pulled off lots of such things, it looks like.

pokemon fan 132 pokemon fan 132's Avatar
    Blog Entries

When I mean Whirl Cup, I mean from "Around the Whirlpool" to "A Promise is a Promise". If it weren't for that Corsola...
    Similar goes to the Larvitar plot. Johto pulled off lots of such things, it looks like.
    But i don't think they were fillers at all. Three part with Lugia which happened in Whirl islands was focused on Team Rocket organization and dr. Namba bringing back older character Ritchie from Kanto. As far as Whirl Cup goes i already explained why i don't agree with it being filler since it was concentrated on Misty development and water master career, and "Around the Whirlpool" foreshadowed whole thing bringing recurring character prof. Elm..
    Last edited by pokemon fan 132; 14th March 2013 at 11:33 AM.

Will Rip Titles 4 Money speedingbulletbill's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow speedingbulletbill On Twitter Add speedingbulletbill on Facebook Add speedingbulletbill on Google+ Add speedingbulletbill on MySpace
    Add speedingbulletbill on Linkedin Follow speedingbulletbill on Tumblr Follow speedingbulletbill on Flickr Visit speedingbulletbill's Youtube Channel

When NOTHING happens (and a few minutes of training doesn't make it NOT a filler!).

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pokemon fan 132 View Post
    But i don't think they were fillers at all. Three part with Lugia which happened in Whirl islands was focused on Team Rocket organization and dr. Namba bringing back older character Ritchie from Kanto. As far as Whirl Cup goes i already explained why i don't agree with it being filler since it was concentrated on Misty development and water master career, and "Around the Whirlpool" foreshadowed whole thing bringing recurring character prof. Elm..
    I dont disagree. I just say that all this arc did no change to the rest of the plot!

Add CliveKoopa on Facebook
    Visit CliveKoopa's Youtube Channel

See my post in the "Fillers - Are they important" thread for my definition on this, I have quite a lot of points for this. If you were to add all the episodes up by my definition, you would probably have very few fillers and a large number of episodes are actually non-filler.

I have also added a link to an old thread created by me in the "Filler percentages - saga by saga" for my own list.

Blog Entries

Watch it, and ask yourself these:

Did Ash get a badge? New recurring rival? Character development?
    Did his team change in any way (new catch/release/evolution)? These two also apply to his friends and enemies
    Is this a tournament or any other multi-episode subplot (one episode directly leads into the next)?
    Did we meet the series-wide villains?
    Do the events here ever get called back in other important episodes? (Added after the pointless Poké-stylist episode was referenced in the series finale)

If "yes" to any of them, then it's not filler.
    martianmister likes this.

The Deceiver Pokemon Team Gaara's Avatar
    Blog Entries

To me a filler is, generally, while on the way to whatever town/city, some distraction causing a side plot occurs usually with a COD and then at the end, we resume the quest to whatever city/town without any major changes or events occurring.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hidden Mew View Post
    To me, a filler episode is where nothing significant happens to the story or the characters. It couldn't include things like Pokemon captures, evolutions, Pokemon learning new moves, important battles such as against main rivals, tournaments, Gyms, Contests, Leagues and Grand Festival, character development for the trainers or their Pokemon and information that advances a storyline and/or subplot. Basically, it's an episode that a person can skip and wouldn't be confused about future events of that series/saga later on.
    I'd have to pretty much echo what you said really. The only thing I will say is, filler doesn't necessarily mean bad episode, that's what I wish people would remember sometimes. Many episodes are technically unecessary but they make you laugh or interest you at the time. Many filler episodes contain group bonding which in my opinion, is development in itself. If I had to make a list of what I consider filler:

No significant battles
    No captures/evolutions/releases
    One time characters that we never see again
    No new goals or outlooks
    No bonding between pokemon/people

Trophies

My checklist to see if it is a filler or not a filler:

Does Ash or his team gain anything? (Pokemon, Badges, Ribbons, Eggs, etc.)
    Does any reoccurring character return?
    Does the party of any of the team's team change? (Release, evolve, befriend)
    Does this episode star one of Ash's team members? (Character development)
    Does the episode contain some sort of tournament?
    Does a villainous team with a tedious/multi-step plan do something in the episode? (JJM does not count)
    Does the episode connect with another episode?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12