Is Unova the New Kanto? - Page 3

View Poll Results: Is Unova the New Kanto?

Voters
60. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

20 33.33%
  • No

40 66.67%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree50Likes

Thread: Is Unova the New Kanto?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Is Unova the New Kanto?

No it isn't. BW is nothing like Kanto.
    Trainer Lisa likes this.

Princess of Sinnoh martianmister's Avatar

It's look like the new Johto.
    1. Satoshi/Ash Ketchum: 801 episodes
    2. Team Rocket: 736 episodes
    3. Takeshi/Brock: 633 episodes
    4. Kasumi/Misty: 282 episodes
    5. Hikari/Dawn: 201 episodes
    6. Haruka/May: 197 episodes
    7. Masato/Max: 192 episodes
    8. Iris: 141 episodes
    9. Dent/Cilan: 138 episodes
    10. Kenji/Tracey: 44 episodes

pokemon fan 132 pokemon fan 132's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bouffalant Herdier View Post
    No. They can make as many allusions to Kanto as they want, but it will never be the same, and regressing Ash certainly won't change that. It should create its own identity and stop relying so much on past glories.
    Seconded.
    Trying to mimic same humor and chemistry Kanto and Johto(in its better parts being early part and Master Quest with departure being culmination of their close bond)had was complete mistake because you cant recreate same dynamic Ash,Misty and Brock had with different characters.Not only they have different personalities,but they served different purpose too with story and characters being designed to work with Ash in different matter.

If writers intention was to mimic Kanto with Unova,i must say they are doing terrible job at it with new series being nothing like first series were.Not only that group dynamic operates on completely different level,Unova lacks that wacky plots and humor which we never had outside of first season,Jessie James and Meowth roles were completely changed becoming serious villains, but they also added insult to injury to Ash character by degrading him in terms of skill and maturity he used to had in Sinnoh.

In Kanto this was justified because Ash was just starting out and his stubborn and immature approach made him likable,but trying to replicate that with Unova was complete miss being slap to face to development he experienced nowdays being weird mixture of immature idiot,yet little more experienced trainer than he used to be in original series.
    I fail to see any connection between Kanto and Unova aside from two gym leaders traveling with him again.Better battles and more consistent plot(in some parts) compared to Kanto just makes whole thing feel even more forced and unrealistic.
    Writers should focus more on making Unova different from any past series with Dento and Iris playing of with Ash on different,more suitable level for which their characters are designed,because quite frankly trying to replicate past regions with different cast and place in which storyline is put isnt working.

I dont care if i get bad ratings for this but if going back with Unova to original series formula was truly writers aim,they should had rather reunite original trio instead.It would have made far more sense,better displaying intention of "anime going back to its roots".
    Trainer Yusuf likes this.

Blog Entries

I'm gonna say no. And I mean no!
    B/W is absolutely nothing like Kanto! =/

If anything, it's more similar to Sinnoh, if you ask me.

Quote Originally Posted by NfiNity View Post
    Yup, Ash really is stupid in Unova. Ash isn't really anything like how he was in Kanto.... Or anywhere else for that matter.
    That's exactly how I feel. I completely agree with you.
    And when I think about what they've done to Ash, it makes me really sad. I miss the Ash I know and love.
    Last edited by Trainer Lisa; 31st January 2012 at 03:03 AM.

~Love Is Hard To Define~ Midnight Blue's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'm also going to say no. It may have the feel of Kanto here and there and have those throwbacks but it is not. I hate it when people say Unova is Kanto done right. There was nothing wrong with it. The only reason why people say this is because many think the series is a so called "reboot". Which I do not think it is. I think the reason Best Wishes "started over" is because Pokémon is now 16 years old. They just wanted the kids that have just started playing or have been playing for the past few years to experience what the kids had back the series was just starting. I think someone at Game Freak even said something to that extent about Black and White. This is just my opinion though. If it even made sense.

Blog Entries

Visit Sweenix's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Trainer Lisa View Post
    I'm gonna say no. And I mean no!
    B/W is absolutely nothing like Kanto! =/

Quote Originally Posted by NfiNity View Post
    Yup, Ash really is stupid in Unova. Ash isn't really anything like how he was in Kanto.... Or anywhere else for that matter.
    That's exactly how I feel. I completely agree with you.
    And when I think about what they've done to Ash, it makes me really sad. I miss the Ash I know and love.
    bw is like sinnoh?
    AHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA AHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA AHAHAHAHAHAHAH

ohh please, for someone who has been here so long, that was a pretty nieve comment.

bw isn't kanto, but it's like kanto.

btw! i wasn't trying to be mean, but sinnoh and unova are nothing alike.
    Yankees4life likes this.
    Proud Advance/Amour/Final Fantasy Shipper :)

Serebii | Youtube | Advancers | IGN | Ubiforums

Registered User The Fighting Misty's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by martianmister View Post
    It's look like the new Johto.
    LOL, I wasn't going to say it, but Unova does feel similar to Johto. Although so far Unova is being handled much better in terms of the main cast and their pokemon...but sometimes it feels like nothing is happening again.

And BW Ash is probably the closest to Johto Ash in terms of personality

El_
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gliscor'd View Post
    Yeah, pretty much. Hes definitely far below AG & DP Ash, but hes not completely at Kanto/OI Ash. Johto Ash is definitely the most accurate.

Best Wishes as a series is basically what Johto would have been had it followed the same formula as Kanto.

Ahahaha Don't I wish it were like Sinnoh.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by (P.O.K.E.M.O.N) View Post
    ohh please, for someone who has been here so long, that was a pretty nieve comment.

Well, I was going by dub standards. =P

If I were to compare B/W to any other series, it would be the D/P series for obvious reasons (new region, new Pokemon, has 3 people in the group, etc). Honestly, I see each series as its own unique series. But if I was going to compare B/W to a previous series, it would have to D/P. That's just my opinion though.

I disagree with this.

Personality wise, during Johto, Ash was very energetic.

But in B/W, Ash seems to lack that energy... He's completely different. To me, B/W Ash can be described as "Unova Ash". He's brand new and I really don't know what to make of that.
    Last edited by Trainer Lisa; 1st February 2012 at 01:46 AM.

You Are (Not) Fine Winterdaze's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Follow Winterdaze on Tumblr

Is X the new Y? Chances are the answer is no.
    Kanto and Unova aren't exceptions.

Also known as Kameinu. himanuts's Avatar
    Follow himanuts On Twitter Add himanuts on Facebook Add himanuts on Google+
    Follow himanuts on Tumblr Visit himanuts's Youtube Channel

Is Unova the New Kanto?
    Lol, no.

Alot of Unova just feels forced. And I blame it on Ash. He really feels out of place here, and it's not because he is a foreigner. It's mainly because of how his character is being handled. The disrespect for continuity and the overfocus on him.

And one other thing. Unova lacks the charm Kanto had. Hell, Anime!Unova lacks the charm Game!Unova has.

Blog Entries

Visit Sweenix's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by (P.O.K.E.M.O.N) View Post

Well, I was going by dub standards. =P

If I were to compare B/W to any other series, it would be the D/P series for obvious reasons (new region, new Pokemon, has 3 people in the group, etc). Honestly, I see each series as its own unique series. But if I was going to compare B/W to a previous series, it would have to D/P. That's just my opinion though.

I disagree with this.

Personality wise, during Johto, Ash was very energetic.

But in B/W, Ash seems to lack that energy... He's completely different. To me, B/W Ash can be described as "Unova Ash". He's brand new and I really don't know what to make of that.
    dub wise? your still riding the 4 kids bandwagon? please! dub wise bw is 100000000000000000000x better then diamond and pearl, the difference between sinnoh league victors and black and white is the same as advanced battle and battle frontier, right now tcpi are dubbing far better then 4 kids ever did
    Proud Advance/Amour/Final Fantasy Shipper :)

Serebii | Youtube | Advancers | IGN | Ubiforums

Blog Entries

Good grief, I can't even post here without getting my head bitten off. Apparently, I'm not allowed to have an opinion. -_-

Anyway, you have your opinion and I have mine. So, let's just leave it at that. =P

Besides, you're just trying to start a fight. What you said obviously has nothing to do with this thread. The topic is about "comparing the B/W series to previous series", which is what I did in my post.

OSHAWHAT?

Basically listing what I said earlier but in an easier way. I think more people will see it that way.

- The games Best Wishes! has been based on have a far away region with the main story only having new Pokemon to capture (unless you trade from older games). Also there are a little over 150 Pokemon, just like Kanto. There are scenarios like Roggenrola and Woobat being the new Geodude and Zubat.

- The main protagonist we’re looking at is Ash- no main girl (like Dawn, and May kinda sorta became).

- His male and female friends are both gym leaders in the games, just like how Misty and Brock were. And doesn't Cilan cook and Iris mainly train with one type and is scared of ice types? I haven't watched much Unova, but if all that's true, it parallels to Misty except with different types.

- He started out with just Pikachu. (Hoenn did it to imitate Kanto in that sense too.)

- He got all three starters. (I believe he did that in Johto to imitate Kanto too.)

- They… sorta started over with a new score. Sorta. So it’s sorta a restart in that sense too.

- Wobbuffet's been gone. Although we first saw Jessie and James (and Meowth) with no Pokemon, unlike in Kanto.

- The pacing of the gyms so far, for the most part, has been faster than in Sinnoh and Hoenn.

- Heck, even the first B&W movie is similar to the Mewtwo movie because the main attaction (Mewtwo or Zekrom/Reshiram) isn't an event Pokemon, even though there's one in the movie (Mew or Victini). I don't know if this was intentional though. Maybe.

So I do believe it's the new Kanto. I think they've taken a lot of basic parallels from there but put things in different directions. But they've taken things in new directions. That's why I'm on the "new Kanto" side. Sure you can find various similarities between any two arcs, but I think the above parallels are (for the most part, anyway) significant enough and basic enough to really call Unova the new Kanto.

Quote Originally Posted by Winterdaze
    Is X the new Y? Chances are the answer is no.
    Kanto and Unova aren't exceptions.
    I... don't get the comparison...
    Trainer Yusuf likes this.
    Seasons =/= Regions

Registered User The Fighting Misty's Avatar
    Blog Entries

If you watch the Japanese version, its very similar to Johto.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast