Should the show appeal more to those that aren't within the target audience? - Page 2

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree53Likes

Thread: Should the show appeal more to those that aren't within the target audience?

Default Re: Should the show appeal more to those that aren't within the target audience?

If the show starts to appeal more outside of it's age range, then things would defintely change. It would be more violent in Naruto standards and some characters would fall in love more than we've been seeing. I like it the way it is now. I rather the characters to age slowly than to start showing the show with all sorts of terms stuff out of the blue like that. If some people don't like it then maybe they've grown up or maybe they are alittle too old to be comparing it to another more mature anime.

Default Re: Should the show appeal more to those that aren't within the target audience?

Making a show "just for kids" and using that as an excuse is extremely lazy, for both the people making the show and the fans who are content with its mediocrity.

As a show exclusively for children: it isn't very good, and honestly is insulting to the child. As a show that a mom or dad can watch with their kid and enjoy: it's terrible. There are shows "for kids" on right now that are genuinely good TV: Young Justice and Legend of Korra, just to name a couple. And there are shows "for adults" that are awful: Two and a Half Men, Whitney. The main audience demographic absolutely needs to be kept in mind with this show - there shouldn't be sex and gore every ten minutes - but pleasing a fringe demographic can be a really smart thing to do, because it gets people who wouldn't otherwise be interested talking about the show. I haven't seen it and don't really understand it, but just look at that My Little Pony show: the same kids who watch Pokemon probably watch that, but that show has a sizable fan base of college kids and adults who appreciate (from what I understand) the smart writing and the effort put into the animation. Look at a show like Spongebob, where anyone can watch it and laugh, or the previously mentioned Legend of Korra, where it's consistently ranking top ten in the cable ratings and gets glowing reviews from respected sites. Pixar movies are made for children, but the end results still bleeds love and effort, and the fantastic storytelling and humor doesn't go unnoticed by adults. If you want a show more similar to Pokemon, just look at Digimon - not as mature or clever as some of the other shows I've mentioned, but the various seasons have always had strong characters and actual plots. Kids aren't stupid. They appreciate quality TV, and even if they don't completely get it yet, can probably understand that Pokemon just isn't quality TV.

Asking if this show should appeal more to those outside the target audience, in my opinion, isn't really the issue. Compared to the competition that is doing some really innovative and risky stuff, this show is bad even considering the target audience. The fanbase and the team making this show really shouldn't be accepting that "it's just for kids" is just another way of saying "it's allowed to be bad". I fully understand that this show has to market the games and churn out a ton of episodes on what I'm assuming is a pretty low budget, but that's not an excuse. There are lazy shows and there are shows that the creators actually enjoy making, regardless of what the target audience is.

So no, I don't think the people running this show should be overly concerned with appealing to older fans, because quality speaks for itself. They should focus on making a show that gets kids thinking, and making characters and storylines that kids care about. Do that and then you've got a show that anyone can watch.

Blog Entries

Follow Yato on Tumblr

Pokemon anime runs on a long series, and the kids who watch it grow up as time flies. Keeping the show kiddy as it is will be a drawback because kids learn quickly and they mature enough to know that kiddy stuff is childish and that the once beloved pokemon anime is 'for babies'.

If they actually developed the characters to age and mature as well, then I guess that would've been fine. Villains were also good. DP had been great when they had a mature Ash, Hunter J who tried to kill Ash, and everything else that was more suited for early teens rather than just kids that are barely 10.

Blog Entries

Follow Madame Pika on Tumblr

I think that there are a group of people that's even more important than kids when it comes to who the writer's should be aiming towards: themselves. I think that a lot of things that we tend to assume comes for the older audience, actually is there because the creators want to make things more fun and interesting for themselves then writing samey samey episodes all the time. I believe that by doing that a show instantly becomes better for any audience. With more effort being put in, the more likely the show is to be a 'favourite show' rather then 'hey, that happens to be on. May as well watch it.'

With the current series there aren't many places were it feels like they're putting any effort in. With Kanto, there was plenty of funny and unusual stories (that yes, may have started from drunkenness [or so I think I once heard] but still...) mixed in with some really awesome characters, especially TRrio. With DP, the show was all about it's characters and was willing to look at itself from a more realistic perspective. Both of which seem really fun to write. I could go on but I think that that makes my point clear enough.

The appeal to adults though doesn't really have much to do with the overall quality of a kid's show.

Blog Entries

Visit Sweenix's Youtube Channel

I like the idea, but how would this be done? anyways for me i prefer the show to be aimed towards a younger fanbase, only due to how cute the show is, and my imagination of the pokemon world is a great one, and a mature version of the show might ruin that :|
    Proud Advance/Amour/Final Fantasy Shipper :)

Serebii | Youtube | Advancers | IGN | Ubiforums

It looks like it's doing fine the way it is. There's no need to appeal to a wider base. If you watch the show now, it's because you understand that the show is the way it is and accept it to be that. If you didn't, you could always stop watching it if you feel like it's insulting your intelligence. That's what I did and it's been working out for me.
    PockyAddict and YamiiDenryuu like this.

Blog Entries

I feel they should bring the team from the games into the staff of the show, since they seem to know how to make the series appeal to a larger demographic then just kids.

really,at the end of the day them abandoning Satoshi Tajiri's plans he had for Ash-in that he was to grow to become a wizened experienced trainer/hero- is what led to this debacle.

Follow PockyAddict On Twitter Add PockyAddict on Facebook
    Follow PockyAddict on Tumblr Visit PockyAddict's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Poyo View Post
    It looks like it's doing fine the way it is. There's no need to appeal to a wider base. If you watch the show now, it's because you understand that the show is the way it is and accept it to be that. If you didn't, you could always stop watching it if you feel like it's insulting your intelligence. That's what I did and it's been working out for me.
    I tottaly agree, I use to share the same opinion some time ago when I first joined here but I stoped taking the show seriously and started liking it the way it is. No violance (although a bit of fantasy and comedic does sometimes appear), no romance, no shoe-horn grown up things. :)

Besides there are other anime that I can get that from. And to answer the op, Nope I mean if the Japanese kids don't mind it, than I don't either.
    YamiiDenryuu and Caseydia like this.

Blog Entries

Nah, a lot of the appeal the show has for me is the kind of innocent, lighthearted take on the fantasyland that is the Pokemon world. While I wouldn't mind the occasional more serious plot that still encompasses this (like what the movies tend to do), I don't think the show needs to change what it's doing.

Besides that, most of the time someone starts saying the anime should be more "mature", it's all about tacking on more violence and death and ship-tease. Yeah, no thanks.

pokemon fan 132 pokemon fan 132's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I don't see why don't have both?
    Continuing to appeal to target audience but also trying to reach another group demographic(older fans) pleasing both groups of fans, making pokemon more liked and recognized worldwide increasing ratings.

That would make this show more popular and worldwide recognized, increasing its ratings , sales and credibility.
    I knows Internet isn't good indication to go by, but judging by population pokemon forums, sites, youtube and demand for older characters return(biggest one is present for Misty, no pun intended), Ash older pokemon return or his character in general moving forward there exists respectably big fandom which would be willing to start watching pokemon again if writers made this show little more directed toward them.And from my personal experience in real life, many people feel same way too, feeling ignored and abandoned .

Nothing drastic like extremists propose; such as blood, violence, sexual themes and who knows what other ridicule ideas. But something which writers could do without drastically changing formula is paying little more attention toward older characters previous generations grew up with and previous sagas increasing continuity. Which would be like some sort of reward to all those veterans and teenagers which helped make this show popular in first place while also giving something unexpected and new to younger generations to better understand Ash past and older friends, sparking their interest toward them and older sagas.

I think good idea would be in trying out concept of character rotation.
    That way we would still get new characters ,but older fans would also have opportunity to see their favorite characters from past in action again,being updated,refreshed and developed more taking them in new/undiscovered directions.

Many other shows do mix of both, bringing older characters by expanding on their roles influencing current storyline and characters.

Or seeing Ash making actual progress as character not going through resets which would provide a whole new angle for younger generations, making them potentially more interested in seeing how will this pan out. Winning one regional tournament wont make him pokemon master, so its not like writers couldn't go forward with him diving deeper into his goal going through more meaningful development.

There are several ideas imo which wouldn't necessarily involve risk of losing target demographic, while having chance to attract those outside of it.

Proud Pokeservative! 97SaturnSL1's Avatar
    Blog Entries

yes and no. i thinkt that the young target audience will alway be the target audience.watching since 1998, this has been the best way that pokemon has been able to keep both demographics without falling off the edge. they should still keep the little kid features while hiding some more adult jokes in the series (like the first episode with byron). to appeal to older audiences the show should have all of the hidden jokes that the Cartoon network and Nick toons had in the 90s and maybe a bit more slapstick humor. but i dont think the show should be more appealing to the non target audience by making the show more "mature". things like Extreame violence, blood, drugs, sex/relationships and other refences that make the more mature animes popular with young adults. To me pokemon was geared as a kids show. for 15 years they havent overly messed with the formula. if they were to make it more appealing to an older demograpic by adding the mature content, parents would freak if they saw something to a tv-16 rated anime in pokemon ((which has been known to be pretty child friendly). by having a spin off that is more mature interms of content, yoou will ahve the idiot parent let their kids watch it and go ballistic on the pokemon company because even though it was rated tv14, they saw it was pokemon so they assumed the their little honney boo boo could watch it. that would be a disater for the pokemon company because that would be ahuge blow to their main target audience and income. overall, i do wish some of the relive moments such with dawn were made a bit better but overall i think the show should stay close to the target audience
    PockyAddict likes this.

Blog Entries

The way I see it is that while the older fans may have an "entitlement complex" particularly those who wax endlessly about Misty and not even give the new episodes a chance, I think the writers also assume that the little kids doesn't want too see some action and a semi deep plotline. I'm sure there are actual animes in Japan that target the same audience, but is less marketing focused and more plot driven. So I think they should release a teaser episode in the same vein as the trailer and if the kids like it, gradually shift the actual anime in that direction. Of course people will still complain, and demand stuff like BRING MISTY BACK!! at least they tried.

Blog Entries

Follow Madame Pika on Tumblr

Okay, whilst I still feel what I said a few posts up, I just want to add this:

I don't see why people are assuming that being enjoyed by the older audience equals not for the younger audience. A common example being the 'darker' side of DP which kids could easily enjoy. For example Hunter J: the villian who tried to kill Satoshi, can turn things to stone, flies around in a giant ship, has some pretty neat pokemon, has a nice evil villainess design, ect. I don't see the only appeals to adults part. It's not like she succeeded in killing Satoshi. Kids like action. Also, Shinji: the jerk rival, with unusual yet strong pokemon, a willingness to do anything to become more powerful and being allowed to hate him by the writers without being forced to either. I actually think that kids understand him better than older fans thanks to being closer to his age: they can act like that for such a small reason. Kids are more likely to ask for pure entertainment than adults (who can want reasons to the level that reasons take over the entertainment.) Finally having arcs and stuff: greater variety. Kids don't want to watch the same episodes again and again just like we don't.

It's been said on here a few times that being for kids doesn't mean bad writing so why is it that people are assuming that any good writing can't be for them?

Has converted to Helixism Miles101's Avatar
    Blog Entries

It already has a huge horde of fans in the periphery demographic. Just look at our forums. Though I agree that it could get a bit edgier, there has to something about that keeps people coming back. Don't fix it if it isn't broken.

The question is asking about should show appeal to others than it's targer audience. If they're are people who are twenty and above in here talking about Pokemon itslef than the target audience has been out of range a long time ago. It appeals to all ages. Especially those who are otakus and anime nerds. (myself)
    Hoopa likes this.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast