Should the dubbing companies of the Pokémon Anime replace BGM and songs? - Page 7

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
Results 91 to 105 of 122
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: Should the dubbing companies of the Pokémon Anime replace BGM and songs?

  1. #91
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    299
    Blog Entries
    18

    Default Re: Should the dubbing companies of the Pokémon Anime replace BGM and songs?

    Exactly. If they'd just leave the instrumental BGM in it's entirety, fans will enjoy it, and the other viewers won't care either way. When I was a kid, I watched Transformers Armada as well as Cybertron (technically I was a teenager when Cybertron aired, but whatever). Both those shows had the original BGM intact (silence included) with the only music that changed were the openings and endings. I didn't really pay much attention to the BGM for those shows. I enjoyed those shows because I liked Transformers. I still suggest to TPCi that they either keep every single BGM intact, or replace the entire score (instead of keeping parts of the score and combined it with their own). The Unicron Trilogy did the former, and I would like TPCi to stay away from the latter.

  2. #92
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    2,859
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: Should the dubbing companies of the Pokémon Anime replace BGM and songs?

    I don't get why 4kids and TPCi had use some JPN tracks but not all. I don't want them to discard the JPN score for their dub but why would they keep some if they could go all or nothing? It's like the music directors and scorers can't make up their minds.

  3. #93
    Melodies Of Life Sweenix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    australia
    Posts
    854
    Blog Entries
    1

    Visit Sweenix's Youtube Channel

    Default Re: Should the dubbing companies of the Pokémon Anime replace BGM and songs?

    I can understand people wanting the bgm kept, but the japanese score? tcpi isn't going to play a song that kids won't understand, english scores are a must in the anime and should be used as much as possible, now for the bgm itself i'm 50/50 on it, tcpi has some really good soundtracks but they have some bad ones, but that goes the same with the raw, but i'm all for the silent scenes being removed because the american audience is much different to the japanese audience and you need to have dramatic music for every scene.
    Proud Advance/Amour/Final Fantasy Shipper :)

    Serebii | Youtube | Advancers | IGN | Ubiforums

  4. #94
    Moderator Hidden Mew's Avatar Forum Head
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Somewhere dreaming forever
    Posts
    4,232

    Default Re: Should the dubbing companies of the Pokémon Anime replace BGM and songs?

    Quote Originally Posted by ❤Haruka❤ View Post
    I can understand people wanting the bgm kept, but the japanese score? tcpi isn't going to play a song that kids won't understand, english scores are a must in the anime and should be used as much as possible, now for the bgm itself i'm 50/50 on it, tcpi has some really good soundtracks but they have some bad ones, but that goes the same with the raw, but i'm all for the silent scenes being removed because the american audience is much different to the japanese audience and you need to have dramatic music for every scene.
    Well, for Japanese songs, they could translate them into English, but that's probably too expensive due to right issues and they might want to use their own music for it. Personally, I don't have too much of a problem with the latter, although translating some of the insert songs in English might be kind of cool. I'm not sure if an American audience needs to have dramatic music for every scene. There are times where a moment of silence during a scene can be even more intense than if there was music playing in the background. It can stand out more to get the audience's attention during an emotional or dramatic moment. Though, sometimes adding music there can work too, but it really depends on the situation and the music. I don't have too much of a problem with background music being replaced myself, but I can see why it would bother others.

  5. #95
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    299
    Blog Entries
    18

    Default Re: Should the dubbing companies of the Pokémon Anime replace BGM and songs?

    Quote Originally Posted by ❤Haruka❤ View Post
    I can understand people wanting the bgm kept, but the japanese score? tcpi isn't going to play a song that kids won't understand, english scores are a must in the anime and should be used as much as possible, now for the bgm itself i'm 50/50 on it, tcpi has some really good soundtracks but they have some bad ones, but that goes the same with the raw, but i'm all for the silent scenes being removed because the american audience is much different to the japanese audience and you need to have dramatic music for every scene.
    It is perfectly plausible for Western animation to have just as much silent moments as anime. I don't understand where you got that kind of logic from.

  6. #96
    Melodies Of Life Sweenix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    australia
    Posts
    854
    Blog Entries
    1

    Visit Sweenix's Youtube Channel

    Default Re: Should the dubbing companies of the Pokémon Anime replace BGM and songs?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hidden Mew View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ❤Haruka❤ View Post
    I can understand people wanting the bgm kept, but the japanese score? tcpi isn't going to play a song that kids won't understand, english scores are a must in the anime and should be used as much as possible, now for the bgm itself i'm 50/50 on it, tcpi has some really good soundtracks but they have some bad ones, but that goes the same with the raw, but i'm all for the silent scenes being removed because the american audience is much different to the japanese audience and you need to have dramatic music for every scene.
    Well, for Japanese songs, they could translate them into English, but that's probably too expensive due to right issues and they might want to use their own music for it. Personally, I don't have too much of a problem with the latter, although translating some of the insert songs in English might be kind of cool. I'm not sure if an American audience needs to have dramatic music for every scene. There are times where a moment of silence during a scene can be even more intense than if there was music playing in the background. It can stand out more to get the audience's attention during an emotional or dramatic moment. Though, sometimes adding music there can work too, but it really depends on the situation and the music. I don't have too much of a problem with background music being replaced myself, but I can see why it would bother others.
    Translated songs would be a nice touch to the anime, and i'm all for that, and i mean the usual silent scenes that is being played during a convo, those moments could do with a bit of music, but for moments such as ash losing a battle and it goes silent, then they should keep it silent.

    Quote Originally Posted by BladeLight52 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ❤Haruka❤ View Post
    I can understand people wanting the bgm kept, but the japanese score? tcpi isn't going to play a song that kids won't understand, english scores are a must in the anime and should be used as much as possible, now for the bgm itself i'm 50/50 on it, tcpi has some really good soundtracks but they have some bad ones, but that goes the same with the raw, but i'm all for the silent scenes being removed because the american audience is much different to the japanese audience and you need to have dramatic music for every scene.

    It is perfectly plausible for Western animation to have just as much silent moments as anime. I don't understand where you got that kind of logic from.
    Didn't john loeffler claim that tcpi needs to replace the silent scenes for dramatic sounds to appeal to the western audience?
    Proud Advance/Amour/Final Fantasy Shipper :)

    Serebii | Youtube | Advancers | IGN | Ubiforums

  7. #97
    Clap Clap Musashi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Isshu
    Posts
    16,983
    Blog Entries
    21

    Default Re: Should the dubbing companies of the Pokémon Anime replace BGM and songs?

    Quote Originally Posted by ❤Haruka❤ View Post
    ]Didn't john loeffler claim that tcpi needs to replace the silent scenes for dramatic sounds to appeal to the western audience?
    That's his opinion, but it doesn't make him right. I think it's ridiculous (and insulting) that they feel Americans are so ADD that they can't handle a little silence.

  8. #98
    Moderator Hidden Mew's Avatar Forum Head
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Somewhere dreaming forever
    Posts
    4,232

    Default Re: Should the dubbing companies of the Pokémon Anime replace BGM and songs?

    Quote Originally Posted by ❤Haruka❤ View Post
    Translated songs would be a nice touch to the anime, and i'm all for that, and i mean the usual silent scenes that is being played during a convo, those moments could do with a bit of music, but for moments such as ash losing a battle and it goes silent, then they should keep it silent.
    I think that silent moments during a conversation don't really need music. Like I mentioned earlier, silence can make a scene stand out more and make the drama more intense. Music during a conversation might help with that too, but that really would depend on the nature of the conversation and the music they use.

    Quote Originally Posted by ❤Haruka❤
    Didn't john loeffler claim that tcpi needs to replace the silent scenes for dramatic sounds to appeal to the western audience?
    I'm pretty sure that it was just his opinion rather than a requirement for TCPI to replace silent scenes. I think that they've kept silent moments in the dub since TPCI took over. I don't even know if western audience in general want background music all the time.

  9. #99
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    299
    Blog Entries
    18

    Default Re: Should the dubbing companies of the Pokémon Anime replace BGM and songs?

    Quote Originally Posted by Musashi View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ❤Haruka❤ View Post
    ]Didn't john loeffler claim that tcpi needs to replace the silent scenes for dramatic sounds to appeal to the western audience?
    That's his opinion, but it doesn't make him right. I think it's ridiculous (and insulting) that they feel Americans are so ADD that they can't handle a little silence.
    I thought that belief of "viewers not handling a little musical silence in an anime dub" died out a long time ago.

  10. #100
    So what's your wish? Yato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Anywhere
    Posts
    6,671
    Blog Entries
    435

    Follow Yato on Tumblr

    Default Re: Should the dubbing companies of the Pokémon Anime replace BGM and songs?

    The songs being translated are okay, but I want them to keep most of the BGMs because they are reprises and reorganized versions of the game BGMs.

    But anyways, I watched one of the earlier Don Tournament battles and they did keep the BGMs.

  11. #101
    Subete wo kagayakasu MizuTaipu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Purgatory
    Posts
    1,262
    Blog Entries
    61

    Default Re: Should the dubbing companies of the Pokémon Anime replace BGM and songs?

    Here's a question that's been bugging me since DuArt took over: why is the volume of the original Japanese music so low that it's barely audible while the dub-only music's volume is so high?

  12. #102
    Melodies Of Life Sweenix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    australia
    Posts
    854
    Blog Entries
    1

    Visit Sweenix's Youtube Channel

    Default Re: Should the dubbing companies of the Pokémon Anime replace BGM and songs?

    I know that replacing dub music isn't to high on you guys, but i actually like it, as long as atleast half of the original music is kept intact, it sets the dub apart from the raw and i get a different viewing experience from watching the dub as opposed to watching the raw.

    Plus, have you seen the ratings? the show is doing really well right now and that proves that the changes are not effecting the show what so ever.

    CARTOON NETWORK 1.5/9 Avg. (7a-1p)
    Johnny Test 1.2/17; Redakai: Conquer the Kairu 1.3/12; Beyblade: Metal Masters 1.3/12; Pokemon B&W: Rival Destinies 2.5/17; Ben 10: Ultimate Alien 1.5/9; Ninjago 1.8/9; The Green Lantern 1.3/6; Young Justice 1.1/5; Teen Titans: Trouble in Tokyo (1x90) 1.5/7; Johnny Test 2.3/11
    Proud Advance/Amour/Final Fantasy Shipper :)

    Serebii | Youtube | Advancers | IGN | Ubiforums

  13. #103
    Registered User ZetaZaku's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    8

    Default Re: Should the dubbing companies of the Pokémon Anime replace BGM and songs?

    Since Pokemon BGM is mostly arranges of the game songs, I see no reason for it to be changed in the dub. The intros should be translated and sung in English, just like the other countries do (ex. Germany almost always sings the original song in German).

    About the silence, I think that they should leave it as it was intended, or at least play some appropriate music. I hate hearing goofy music during dramatic scenes or god damn awful music (in case of DBZ).

  14. #104
    Moderator Hidden Mew's Avatar Forum Head
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Somewhere dreaming forever
    Posts
    4,232

    Default Re: Should the dubbing companies of the Pokémon Anime replace BGM and songs?

    Quote Originally Posted by ❤Haruka❤ View Post
    I know that replacing dub music isn't to high on you guys, but i actually like it, as long as atleast half of the original music is kept intact, it sets the dub apart from the raw and i get a different viewing experience from watching the dub as opposed to watching the raw.
    I think just having a different voice cast would be able to provide a different viewing experience when watching the dub, even if the original background music was kept. There have been a few episodes where they do keep the original background music in and those episodes don't feel drastically different from the episodes where the music is replaced. I think it's a nice touch, but it doesn't really make or break an episode of the dub for me.

    Quote Originally Posted by ❤Haruka❤
    Plus, have you seen the ratings? the show is doing really well right now and that proves that the changes are not effecting the show what so ever.

    CARTOON NETWORK 1.5/9 Avg. (7a-1p)
    Johnny Test 1.2/17; Redakai: Conquer the Kairu 1.3/12; Beyblade: Metal Masters 1.3/12; Pokemon B&W: Rival Destinies 2.5/17; Ben 10: Ultimate Alien 1.5/9; Ninjago 1.8/9; The Green Lantern 1.3/6; Young Justice 1.1/5; Teen Titans: Trouble in Tokyo (1x90) 1.5/7; Johnny Test 2.3/11
    I'm not sure if that argument really works here. I don't think that the majority of the kids in the dub's target audience watches the raws and are aware of any changes between the two versions like many people here are. So, they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the original and dub music. Plus, I don't know if kids really care that much about background music. I think most of them are more interested in seeing Ash and his friends battle and meet new Pokemon, as well as seeing Pokemon in an animated series, than the music.

  15. #105
    Melodies Of Life Sweenix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    australia
    Posts
    854
    Blog Entries
    1

    Visit Sweenix's Youtube Channel

    Default Re: Should the dubbing companies of the Pokémon Anime replace BGM and songs?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hidden Mew View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ❤Haruka❤ View Post
    I know that replacing dub music isn't to high on you guys, but i actually like it, as long as atleast half of the original music is kept intact, it sets the dub apart from the raw and i get a different viewing experience from watching the dub as opposed to watching the raw.
    I think just having a different voice cast would be able to provide a different viewing experience when watching the dub, even if the original background music was kept. There have been a few episodes where they do keep the original background music in and those episodes don't feel drastically different from the episodes where the music is replaced. I think it's a nice touch, but it doesn't really make or break an episode of the dub for me.

    Quote Originally Posted by ❤Haruka❤
    Plus, have you seen the ratings? the show is doing really well right now and that proves that the changes are not effecting the show what so ever.

    CARTOON NETWORK 1.5/9 Avg. (7a-1p)
    Johnny Test 1.2/17; Redakai: Conquer the Kairu 1.3/12; Beyblade: Metal Masters 1.3/12; Pokemon B&W: Rival Destinies 2.5/17; Ben 10: Ultimate Alien 1.5/9; Ninjago 1.8/9; The Green Lantern 1.3/6; Young Justice 1.1/5; Teen Titans: Trouble in Tokyo (1x90) 1.5/7; Johnny Test 2.3/11
    I'm not sure if that argument really works here. I don't think that the majority of the kids in the dub's target audience watches the raws and are aware of any changes between the two versions like many people here are. So, they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the original and dub music. Plus, I don't know if kids really care that much about background music. I think most of them are more interested in seeing Ash and his friends battle and meet new Pokemon, as well as seeing Pokemon in an animated series, than the music.
    Well the ratings are from the K6-11 Demo, so i doubt anyone even knows pokemon is japanese, rather then watching the raw lol, all i'm saying is that tpci believes that changing the music will appeal to the western audience, and it look's like it's working, so even though the original has great music, why would tpci actually spend more money on the licenced soundtrack when they can make there own, and it works!
    Proud Advance/Amour/Final Fantasy Shipper :)

    Serebii | Youtube | Advancers | IGN | Ubiforums

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •