Should the dubbing companies of the Pokémon Anime replace BGM and songs? - Page 7

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: Should the dubbing companies of the Pokémon Anime replace BGM and songs?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Should the dubbing companies of the Pokémon Anime replace BGM and songs?

Exactly. If they'd just leave the instrumental BGM in it's entirety, fans will enjoy it, and the other viewers won't care either way. When I was a kid, I watched Transformers Armada as well as Cybertron (technically I was a teenager when Cybertron aired, but whatever). Both those shows had the original BGM intact (silence included) with the only music that changed were the openings and endings. I didn't really pay much attention to the BGM for those shows. I enjoyed those shows because I liked Transformers. I still suggest to TPCi that they either keep every single BGM intact, or replace the entire score (instead of keeping parts of the score and combined it with their own). The Unicron Trilogy did the former, and I would like TPCi to stay away from the latter.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Should the dubbing companies of the Pokémon Anime replace BGM and songs?

I don't get why 4kids and TPCi had use some JPN tracks but not all. I don't want them to discard the JPN score for their dub but why would they keep some if they could go all or nothing? It's like the music directors and scorers can't make up their minds.

Blog Entries

Visit Sweenix's Youtube Channel

I can understand people wanting the bgm kept, but the japanese score? tcpi isn't going to play a song that kids won't understand, english scores are a must in the anime and should be used as much as possible, now for the bgm itself i'm 50/50 on it, tcpi has some really good soundtracks but they have some bad ones, but that goes the same with the raw, but i'm all for the silent scenes being removed because the american audience is much different to the japanese audience and you need to have dramatic music for every scene.
    Proud Advance/Amour/Final Fantasy Shipper :)

Serebii | Youtube | Advancers | IGN | Ubiforums

Moderator Hidden Mew's Avatar Forum Head

Quote Originally Posted by ❤Haruka❤ View Post
    I can understand people wanting the bgm kept, but the japanese score? tcpi isn't going to play a song that kids won't understand, english scores are a must in the anime and should be used as much as possible, now for the bgm itself i'm 50/50 on it, tcpi has some really good soundtracks but they have some bad ones, but that goes the same with the raw, but i'm all for the silent scenes being removed because the american audience is much different to the japanese audience and you need to have dramatic music for every scene.
    Well, for Japanese songs, they could translate them into English, but that's probably too expensive due to right issues and they might want to use their own music for it. Personally, I don't have too much of a problem with the latter, although translating some of the insert songs in English might be kind of cool. I'm not sure if an American audience needs to have dramatic music for every scene. There are times where a moment of silence during a scene can be even more intense than if there was music playing in the background. It can stand out more to get the audience's attention during an emotional or dramatic moment. Though, sometimes adding music there can work too, but it really depends on the situation and the music. I don't have too much of a problem with background music being replaced myself, but I can see why it would bother others.

Blog Entries

It is perfectly plausible for Western animation to have just as much silent moments as anime. I don't understand where you got that kind of logic from.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hidden Mew View Post
    Well, for Japanese songs, they could translate them into English, but that's probably too expensive due to right issues and they might want to use their own music for it. Personally, I don't have too much of a problem with the latter, although translating some of the insert songs in English might be kind of cool. I'm not sure if an American audience needs to have dramatic music for every scene. There are times where a moment of silence during a scene can be even more intense than if there was music playing in the background. It can stand out more to get the audience's attention during an emotional or dramatic moment. Though, sometimes adding music there can work too, but it really depends on the situation and the music. I don't have too much of a problem with background music being replaced myself, but I can see why it would bother others.
    Translated songs would be a nice touch to the anime, and i'm all for that, and i mean the usual silent scenes that is being played during a convo, those moments could do with a bit of music, but for moments such as ash losing a battle and it goes silent, then they should keep it silent.

Quote Originally Posted by BladeLight52 View Post

It is perfectly plausible for Western animation to have just as much silent moments as anime. I don't understand where you got that kind of logic from.
    Didn't john loeffler claim that tcpi needs to replace the silent scenes for dramatic sounds to appeal to the western audience?

Blog Entries

]Didn't john loeffler claim that tcpi needs to replace the silent scenes for dramatic sounds to appeal to the western audience?
    That's his opinion, but it doesn't make him right. I think it's ridiculous (and insulting) that they feel Americans are so ADD that they can't handle a little silence.

Translated songs would be a nice touch to the anime, and i'm all for that, and i mean the usual silent scenes that is being played during a convo, those moments could do with a bit of music, but for moments such as ash losing a battle and it goes silent, then they should keep it silent.
    I think that silent moments during a conversation don't really need music. Like I mentioned earlier, silence can make a scene stand out more and make the drama more intense. Music during a conversation might help with that too, but that really would depend on the nature of the conversation and the music they use.

Quote Originally Posted by ❤Haruka❤
    Didn't john loeffler claim that tcpi needs to replace the silent scenes for dramatic sounds to appeal to the western audience?
    I'm pretty sure that it was just his opinion rather than a requirement for TCPI to replace silent scenes. I think that they've kept silent moments in the dub since TPCI took over. I don't even know if western audience in general want background music all the time.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Musashi View Post
    ]Didn't john loeffler claim that tcpi needs to replace the silent scenes for dramatic sounds to appeal to the western audience?
    That's his opinion, but it doesn't make him right. I think it's ridiculous (and insulting) that they feel Americans are so ADD that they can't handle a little silence.
    I thought that belief of "viewers not handling a little musical silence in an anime dub" died out a long time ago.

Blog Entries

Follow Yato on Tumblr

The songs being translated are okay, but I want them to keep most of the BGMs because they are reprises and reorganized versions of the game BGMs.

But anyways, I watched one of the earlier Don Tournament battles and they did keep the BGMs.

Blog Entries

Here's a question that's been bugging me since DuArt took over: why is the volume of the original Japanese music so low that it's barely audible while the dub-only music's volume is so high?

Blog Entries

I know that replacing dub music isn't to high on you guys, but i actually like it, as long as atleast half of the original music is kept intact, it sets the dub apart from the raw and i get a different viewing experience from watching the dub as opposed to watching the raw.

Plus, have you seen the ratings? the show is doing really well right now and that proves that the changes are not effecting the show what so ever.

CARTOON NETWORK 1.5/9 Avg. (7a-1p)
    Johnny Test 1.2/17; Redakai: Conquer the Kairu 1.3/12; Beyblade: Metal Masters 1.3/12; Pokemon B&W: Rival Destinies 2.5/17; Ben 10: Ultimate Alien 1.5/9; Ninjago 1.8/9; The Green Lantern 1.3/6; Young Justice 1.1/5; Teen Titans: Trouble in Tokyo (1x90) 1.5/7; Johnny Test 2.3/11

Since Pokemon BGM is mostly arranges of the game songs, I see no reason for it to be changed in the dub. The intros should be translated and sung in English, just like the other countries do (ex. Germany almost always sings the original song in German).

About the silence, I think that they should leave it as it was intended, or at least play some appropriate music. I hate hearing goofy music during dramatic scenes or god damn awful music (in case of DBZ).

I know that replacing dub music isn't to high on you guys, but i actually like it, as long as atleast half of the original music is kept intact, it sets the dub apart from the raw and i get a different viewing experience from watching the dub as opposed to watching the raw.
    I think just having a different voice cast would be able to provide a different viewing experience when watching the dub, even if the original background music was kept. There have been a few episodes where they do keep the original background music in and those episodes don't feel drastically different from the episodes where the music is replaced. I think it's a nice touch, but it doesn't really make or break an episode of the dub for me.

Plus, have you seen the ratings? the show is doing really well right now and that proves that the changes are not effecting the show what so ever.

Johnny Test 1.2/17; Redakai: Conquer the Kairu 1.3/12; Beyblade: Metal Masters 1.3/12; Pokemon B&W: Rival Destinies 2.5/17; Ben 10: Ultimate Alien 1.5/9; Ninjago 1.8/9; The Green Lantern 1.3/6; Young Justice 1.1/5; Teen Titans: Trouble in Tokyo (1x90) 1.5/7; Johnny Test 2.3/11
    I'm not sure if that argument really works here. I don't think that the majority of the kids in the dub's target audience watches the raws and are aware of any changes between the two versions like many people here are. So, they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the original and dub music. Plus, I don't know if kids really care that much about background music. I think most of them are more interested in seeing Ash and his friends battle and meet new Pokemon, as well as seeing Pokemon in an animated series, than the music.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hidden Mew View Post
    I think just having a different voice cast would be able to provide a different viewing experience when watching the dub, even if the original background music was kept. There have been a few episodes where they do keep the original background music in and those episodes don't feel drastically different from the episodes where the music is replaced. I think it's a nice touch, but it doesn't really make or break an episode of the dub for me.

I'm not sure if that argument really works here. I don't think that the majority of the kids in the dub's target audience watches the raws and are aware of any changes between the two versions like many people here are. So, they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the original and dub music. Plus, I don't know if kids really care that much about background music. I think most of them are more interested in seeing Ash and his friends battle and meet new Pokemon, as well as seeing Pokemon in an animated series, than the music.
    Well the ratings are from the K6-11 Demo, so i doubt anyone even knows pokemon is japanese, rather then watching the raw lol, all i'm saying is that tpci believes that changing the music will appeal to the western audience, and it look's like it's working, so even though the original has great music, why would tpci actually spend more money on the licenced soundtrack when they can make there own, and it works!

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast