Should the dubbing companies of the Pokémon Anime replace BGM and songs? - Page 2

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: Should the dubbing companies of the Pokémon Anime replace BGM and songs?

Relax and have fun. The Power of Pika's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Should the dubbing companies of the Pokémon Anime replace BGM and songs?

Quote Originally Posted by Dogasu View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by (P.O.K.E.M.O.N)
    Tcpi has to change the vocals, because no american kid can understand japanese
    Quick, who here can recite the lyrics to that "The Ultimate Challenge" song? Anyone?

Replacing a vocal song with another because of language barrier issues is kind of pointless when you can't even make out the lyrics of the replacement song.
    While I agree it could have been louder personally I could still sing to some of it.

It's one of my favourite songs and a reason I rewatch those scenes with it.

This whole thing of music is confusing to me in recent times.

There was a time I wanted everthing like the japanese version but after seeing other shows go this direction, Season 14 at least try to do that and even the loss of the italien theme songs (which were something I use to put over the english and japanese version) due to TPCI making everything like the english version. I honestly do not want to see that loss.

Maybe it's nostalgia talking but there's some magic that comes out of visiting different versions of the show.

At the moment I can watch and import from Japan and english countries and get different experiences.

I chose japanese if I want to experience a different culture. I chose english if I want something mroe towards what I can relate too.

I can't really say I dislike either so I can't say whether it's better to keep or change. It really depends if the children enjoy the style of music or not in the long run.

Personally I'm not against changes aslong as the story stays intact. So if I ever get to my dream of making a cartoon I actually don't actually mind if another country changes my works to match their culture aslong as it's good and keeps to the story. I have read of japanese companies who have felt the same way so this is not unheard of.

I don't know what the japanese company of Pokemon thinks about the changes. I mean if it really is a bad thing then I would suspect they'd crack down on TPCI eventually like many other japanese companies have done to dub companies. Only a matter of time if they truely care about the changes.

My name is Daffy Duck, I worked on a Merry-Go-Round, The job was swell,
    I did quite well,Till the Merry-go-round broke down.
    (Hoo-hoo! Hoo-hoo! Hoo! Hoo! Hoo-hoo!)

Blog Entries

Default Re: Should the dubbing companies of the Pokémon Anime replace BGM and songs?

At the very least, 4kids's dub music didn't (always) make me want to fall asleep and had good dialogue to back it up even in some of the worst of episodes. I hate the replacing but 4kids's music was at least tolerable for me whereas TPCi is NOT. I could at least grin and bear it fairly easily.

Relax and have fun. The Power of Pika's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by matt0044 View Post
    At the very least, 4kids's dub music didn't (always) make me want to fall asleep and had good dialogue to back it up even in some of the worst of episodes. I hate the replacing but 4kids's music was at least tolerable for me whereas TPCi is NOT. I could at least grin and bear it fairly easily.
    For me I actually like TPCI's DP dub music. I'm a rarity in some ways.^-^
    Yeah there were a couple of misses even with me but it wasn't any different to 4kids for me in that regard.

There are tunes that were in DP that were dub only I'd love to see on CD but it'll probably never happen. That's the only thing I'm not happy about.

Though just to be clear I have seen DP in japanese and it didn't change my liking of TPCI's music.

I have DP DVD's in english and Japanese and love them both and would never part with either.

I like both TPCI's music and the japanese music. So I can't really put one over the other.
    4kids were alright but I tend to like their movie music mainly.

All comes down to tastes in the end.=)
    Last edited by The Power of Pika; 24th April 2012 at 01:57 AM.

My name is Daffy Duck, I worked on a Merry-Go-Round, The job was swell,
    I did quite well,Till the Merry-go-round broke down.
    (Hoo-hoo! Hoo-hoo! Hoo! Hoo! Hoo-hoo!)

Blog Entries

Visit Sweenix's Youtube Channel

tcpi's dub music is created by the same person, so where's the logic?
    Proud Advance/Amour/Final Fantasy Shipper :)

Serebii | Youtube | Advancers | IGN | Ubiforums

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by (P.O.K.E.M.O.N) View Post
    Then I guess he really started to suck around DP.

Blog Entries

Then I guess he really started to suck around DP.
    That maybe so, but the original's quality has dropped signifficantly to, it's hard to believe that soundtrack for best wishes is done by the same person who did the one's in the earlier seasons, the quality has dropped from the dub and the raw, and so has the show itself

Blog Entries

i just don't like the best wishes bgm, it's very generic
    Please elaborate, explain, and back it up. I would like to read why you think that.

the original's quality has dropped significantly to(o)
    Again, please EXPLAIN. It's doesn't help if you don't explain your opinions.
    Last edited by BladeLight52; 24th April 2012 at 06:49 PM.

Blog Entries

Well personally, I'm not really picky on the music, I'm fine with English theme songs even though some of them are cheesy. I can understand why some people don't like replacing music, but I suppose its fine for episodes that need more, or are suffering from repetitive themes.

Blog Entries

Follow FinalArcadia on Tumblr Visit FinalArcadia's Youtube Channel

I think they should keep the original music. I mean, even kids probably know that the show is from Japan, so I don't think anybody would be outraged to see/hear the Japanese openings. And wouldn't it be less work for the dubbers?

The songs should all be changed. Pokémon is too "mainstream" / American to have any of it in Japanese (same thing for just about any American Saturday morning cartoon, including Yu-Gi-Oh and Dragon Ball Z Kai). And it isn't the type of anime to have an alternate version available for DVD release or anything.
    As much as I like the way Mezase Pokémon Master sounds, I'm glad they changed it like they did. As long as the new song is also good then it's not a problem... and it fits better for an American audience. And if they were to keep Pokémon Ierukana instead of the Pokérap that would definitely be a problem. Seeing all 151 Pokémon come up on screen but not being able to understand anything that's being said (except for the occassional few whose Japanese names are the same as the English names) would not make much sense and would probably just annoy me unless I specificaly want to see it in Japanese.
    As for background music / instrumental stuff with no words... that I'd say they should leave alone. I really don't see the point in changing it.
    Trainer Gabriel likes this.

I poke your snoot UnovaCastaway's Avatar
    Blog Entries

If I had a say, I'd keep the BGM. Dubbing is meant to change the language, but if there are no words in the music, why change it? Vocals are fair game. There have been some scenes where the dub AND the Japanese track were both awesome (Lugia's Song in the 2nd movie), but overall I think there's really no need for it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dannyjenn View Post
    The songs should all be changed. Pokémon is too "mainstream" / American to have any of it in Japanese (same thing for just about any American Saturday morning cartoon, including Yu-Gi-Oh and Dragon Ball Z Kai). And it isn't the type of anime to have an alternate version available for DVD release or anything.
    As much as I like the way Mezase Pokémon Master sounds, I'm glad they changed it like they did. As long as the new song is also good then it's not a problem... and it fits better for an American audience. And if they were to keep Pokémon Ierukana instead of the Pokérap that would definitely be a problem. Seeing all 151 Pokémon come up on screen but not being able to understand anything that's being said (except for the occassional few whose Japanese names are the same as the English names) would not make much sense and would probably just annoy me unless I specificaly want to see it in Japanese.
    As for background music / instrumental stuff with no words... that I'd say they should leave alone. I really don't see the point in changing it.
    If you ask me, they should keep the US music for CDs and such for gaining money and keep all of the JPN music including the vocal songs but dubbed into English for the show. Hell, I wish that the dub was done uncut and then edited for TV but not to the point where the story is changed for stupid, "creative" reasons.

Blog Entries

the raw mainly consist of 6 repeated tracks these days.
    I can say the same thing to the original BGM in the earlier seasons (I have heard Meeting and Parting, and Battle VS Wild Pokemon almost every other episode even in the original version). If that didn't bother you then, I don't know why it bothers you now.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BladeLight52 View Post
    I can say the same thing to the original BGM in the earlier seasons (I have heard Meeting and Parting, and Battle VS Wild Pokemon almost every other episode even in the original version). If that didn't bother you then, I don't know why it bothers you now.
    But they were good soundtracks though, meeting and parting should still be used, i don't know why the creators decided to only use bgm from the best wishes series it's a joke, plus the black and white video game has one of the greatest soundtrack ever but the anime has the worst. What's up with that?

OSHAWHAT?

Quote Originally Posted by BladeLight52 View Post
    But they were good soundtracks though, meeting and parting should still be used, i don't know why the creators decided to only use bgm from the best wishes series it's a joke,
    Well... and you acknowledged it already... they use some recent movie music too, but in any case... it's part of the "fresh start" sorta thing the anime was doing.

As for repeating BGM, BladeLight52, it really depends on how much replay value a piece of BGM music has and the rate it plays that determines when I get more tired of it (and that's all different with different songs for different people).
    Seasons =/= Regions

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast