Should Ash age or not ? - Page 7

View Poll Results: Should Ash age or not ?

Voters
200. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes,Ash should age by now

155 77.50%
  • No, Ash should remain a kid for rest of the series

45 22.50%
Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
Like Tree276Likes

Thread: Should Ash age or not ?

Somalian Anarchy Leader! Please Understand's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow Please Understand on Tumblr Visit Please Understand's Youtube Channel

Default Re: Should Ash age or not ?

Quote Originally Posted by Pokemon DP > Pokemon View Post
    everyone needs to get over themselves ash will be 10 forever plus shows like simpsons, southpark and family guy never age so move on

and the show would be less enjoyable if he was older
    Those are just cartoons. No one cares about them. Because if it is not anime, why bother with anyone's age? Besides, in a Spongebob episode, Spongebob's grandmother was having a birthday but claimed she turned "even older.", instead of revealing her actual age.

Anime, shows progress and stuff like that. Because does it make sense if Ash is still 10 yet went through all these regions and captured a lot of Pokémon? No.

Blog Entries

Okay, lets put it this way: If Ash did age, he would currently be the same age as Brock was. Ash would be more mature in battle, but would also have raging hormones like Brock and go nuts every time he saw a girl.

I think the reason Ash is still a kid is because if Ash did age, he would basically be Brock. And while we like Brock, he wasn't Ash.
    Also, if Ash started falling for girls, there would be some sort of drama involving Misty sometime around Johto.... Think about it: they would've became teenagers at the same time.......SOMETHING was sure to develop there! (and do we need that added drama?)

It's true that some Anime (and Manga) charaters do progress in age (take the Dragon Ball series for example), but Pokemon is different. Different, because it's for the kid in all of us.

With that, I still kind of like the idea of Ash growing up, but for the sake of the show, he shouldn't.

Team Rocket Grunt nikkissippi121's Avatar
    Follow nikkissippi121 On Twitter
    Visit nikkissippi121's Youtube Channel

Yes. It's been 5 regions, plus the Orange Islands. He should at least be 11 by now! Even the South Park boys have aged 2 years already (well, at least Stan).

Somalian Anarchy Leader! Please Understand's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow Please Understand on Tumblr Visit Please Understand's Youtube Channel

Okay, let me put it this way. If Ash did age, he would be more mature, and as people said, start hitting on girls. Ironically, he did hit on one during Kanto. But I wouldn't like Ash to hit on girls, so maybe he is focused on one of his traveling partners (Iris, Dawn, May, Misty) or someone else (Anabel, Angie), so yep. I got a little theory actually.

Ash was a 15-year old boy who was awesome. One time he was about to go to Prof. Oak's Lab but his head was hit by a hard stubstance and he thought he was 10 instead of 15. Basically he has amnesia. He thought he never met Misty, Brock, May, Max, CotD #665, Dawn, and Paul, or anyone else before he got Pikachu and went off on his journey. The only way to cure his amnesia is to be hit by a hard stubstance again. The End.

Basically, with Ash 10, it messes up the anime's continuity and that's just terrible. Terrible writing, for sure. Again, as people said before, the writers basically did an "Fuck YOU!!!" to the older watchers and it ends up bad. Whoop de doo.

EDIT: And do you know what's more ironic? If the people in the games and manga age, then the characters in the anime should age. Because, in the manga, Red was 12, then a timeskip happened, and he became 16 (or 15). And in the games, Red was 14, because GSCHGSS took place 3 years after RBGYFRLG and that happens. And if it makes sense if the people in the manga and games age, then it would make sense if Ash ages. Before you know it, in 20 years, Ash is gonna be a creepy man-child who wants to become the Pokémon Master, or plays video games with a child. (Oops, did I just mention 18-volt and 9-volt?) Anyways, the way this works is complete bullshit. Unbelieveable how he travels through 5 REGIONS plus a Battle Frontier in less than a YEAR. Can't they at least use good cash to hire great writers unlike those who want Ash 10 forever as a marketing ploy! Basically, in a century, the anime will still be going on and Ash still wants to become the Pokémon Master and is still 10. He's just a marketing ploy forever.
    Last edited by Please Understand; 2nd January 2012 at 02:37 PM.

President of everything. Headless Whoreman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow Headless Whoreman on Tumblr Visit Headless Whoreman's Youtube Channel

Perhaps a three year timeskip to age 13? Honestly, it's hard to believe that he's traversed five f*cking regions in less then a year. :/
    FANG-TAN likes this.

Blog Entries

I think it would deffinitly do the show some good, (just like how it was really good for shows like Ben 10 and Naruto)
    It can also pull in an older fan base.

Although I like young Ash I think a little older more mature but more rambunctious Ash would be awesome, Like a leap to about 16 or so...
    It's just time for someone to hit puberty already!
    Black FC: 1420 9561 6865
    Pearl FC:1506 8850 5973

Yeah it would have made sense to age him one year per series so that it would be more realistic than jumping him from age 10 to 15 or something. It would be a big gap plus a lot of things might be missed like the golden age of 13 or his first crush. You know, the basics.

Blog Entries

The best way to go about this is retconing Ash being ten in best wishes. Just ignore it like they ignored time passing. The Ben Ten sequel series are better than the original IMO and Dragon Ball Z is WAY more popular than Dragonball so why not.

Blog Entries

Follow Yato on Tumblr

If Ash isn't going to leave the show, then let him age. Like some of us said, I like the Ash-being-the-mentor-of-the-new-main-boy idea.

Gonna be a tl;dr Master! Shinneth's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Honestly, even at age 15 I don't think Ash would behave like the typical teenager. Remember how long it took Goku in Dragon Ball to just understand the concept of marriage? And even after he got married and had a kid, he was still painfully oblivious to a lot of things most adults would be aware of by now and the greatest irony of all was his son Gohan usually being depicted as more mature and serious than his own father most of the time. And despite all the aging Goku went through, he was received well by the fanbase the entire time, to the point where they threw a fit when Akira Toriyama tried to replace him with Gohan (or Goten) as the main protagonist.

That's not to say Ash is exactly the same as Goku (he grew up in civilization, at least) and I don't want him to marry and have kids or anything, but I really don't think Ash would suddenly become Brock if he became a teenager. He could easily remain just as likable and relatable as a teenager as he was in the beginning of the series. In the long run, allowing Ash to age wouldn't really change too much, but it does do one important thing: allow me to continue suspending disbelief of the rest of the stuff that happens on the show. There are a lot of wacky elements in the show, sure, but in a journey-based show where every episode follows after the previous one (which invalidates the whole "it's just like The Simpsons/South Park/Family Guy" - by the by, the latter two DID age the cast, if at an inconsistent basis), there is a passage of time and there's no sense in prohibiting the characters to age. Especially now that Ash has accomplished so many things and I still think the regional Leagues are the Pokemon world equivalent of the Super Bowl.

It may seem ridiculous to some people, but for all the disbelief I can suspend for Pokemon's sake, the lack of aging is something I cannot take in stride. It makes the cycle endless with no true resolution in sight and that's a terrible excuse to not age the main cast. At this point, even if they did a timeskip after BW, that wouldn't rectify the issue of accepting that everything from Kanto through Unova happened within a single year. It would take a major retcon to have everything make sense again.
    himanuts and FANG-TAN like this.

Chapter 19: Black Ice Battle!
    plurk | SPPF | dA | ff.net

Off-topic, but just to state: It is never confirmed that the B/W protagonists are 16. I don't think it states their ages at all actually. Yes, they look much older, and they probably are (definitely not denying that, because some dialogue in the games point to that) but it never directly states their ages. Anyway, moving on.
    I don't see why they even stated that Ash was 10. That was a very stupid move on their part.

El_
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Alphaphlare View Post
    The best way to go about this is retconing Ash being ten in best wishes. Just ignore it like they ignored time passing. The Ben Ten sequel series are better than the original IMO and Dragon Ball Z is WAY more popular than Dragonball so why not.
    Yet Best Wishes is already poorer than the original Kanto series and Orange Islands. Its just not realistic considering everything about Ash that we know about.

If they don't ever replace Ash, then expect for him to get retconned at every opportunity.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by El_ View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Alphaphlare View Post
    Yet Best Wishes is already poorer than the original Kanto series and Orange Islands. Its just not realistic considering everything about Ash that we know about.

If they don't ever replace Ash, then expect for him to get retconned at every opportunity.
    Your use of the word yet makes me wonder if you miss understood me. I want him to age. I don't like best wishes and I want him being ten at that point to be completely ignored. What they did can go both ways so it should go that way.

Yes, Ash should age a level or two but that won't make the series any better. Even if they were to say Ash is 12 and the show is still as crappy as it is, I wouldn't still be convince that aging him is all it takes for everyone to like him or the show.

黒い王様 Archaic's Avatar Webmaster
    Blog Entries
    Follow Archaic On Twitter

It's probably worth mentioning here, since someone brought up the Dragonball example....

Unlike western comics and animation, Japanese manga and animation has a long history of characters actually aging in shows targeted at children. There are some prominent exceptions to this, such as Doraemon, and arguably Detective Conan. You could put Sazae-san in here too, though I think that's more a show in the Simpsons vein rather than a title aimed at children. In any case though, there's many many more examples of where this wasn't the case. Granted, more than a few of these have had the aging happen in time skips between seasons (Digimon and Major, just to name a couple of examples off the top of my head), but I'm sure many of us would have seen at least a few anime where the characters talk about it being a new school year, or where they've moved from middle school to high school.

Pokémon has already had at least one occasion where the passage of time was acknowledged that I can recall, where it mentioned it'd been a year since Satoshi set out. A ret-ret-con to re-establish that and give him a bit more age progression wouldn't be all that difficult. Even aged, Satoshi would still be as dense as your typical shounen hero, so it's not even as if his characterization would change at a rate more than it has for the past few years (which I've always looked at as representing age myself) anyway.
    神出鬼没 - shin shutsu ki botsu

Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast