Should Ash age or not ? - Page 18

View Poll Results: Should Ash age or not ?

Voters
200. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes,Ash should age by now

    155 77.50%
  • No, Ash should remain a kid for rest of the series

    45 22.50%
Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 LastLast
Results 256 to 270 of 295
Like Tree276Likes

Thread: Should Ash age or not ?

  1. #256
    SHSL Gambler CrackFox's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    England
    Posts
    4,342
    Blog Entries
    114

    Default Re: Should Ash age or not ?

    Should he age? There's no need for him too I suppose. Do I want him to age? Yes, i've been wanting that for a while. I just think it would open up the storyline so much. They could pretty much reinvent him if they wanted too. Ash being an eternal kid is beyond a joke now, of course younger viewers wont feel thay way because they wont have kept up with the show for 10+ years and mostly because they're kids themselves.

  2. #257
    So what's your wish? Yato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Anywhere
    Posts
    6,671
    Blog Entries
    435

    Follow Yato on Tumblr

    Default Re: Should Ash age or not ?

    Quote Originally Posted by 1rkhachatryan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hidden Mew View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 1rkhachatryan View Post
    Lol recently they said 3 months passed in the anime, and it was in the japanese version.
    I don't see how it's necessary to laugh at what I said. They do say that for how long it is until a new League starts, which is usually either two or three months, but that just shows that time does pass in the series. No one ages despite that though.
    I just say lol a lot, don't take it as anything.

    I don't see the point in bringing up time passing if no one is ever gonna age.
    That's a pretty nice point you got there, and I agree

  3. #258
    Registered User Gabo 2oo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Chile
    Posts
    314
    Follow Gabo 2oo On Twitter
    Follow Gabo 2oo on Tumblr Visit Gabo 2oo's Youtube Channel

    Default Re: Should Ash age or not ?

    I'm tired of people complaining about Ash's age, but if it were me, I would have left Ash's age unmentioned. It really doesn't affect the plot at all and that way people of different ages can bond better with the character. And if they were going to mention his age anyway, at least one single year per 5 generations won't hurt either.

  4. #259
    So what's your wish? Yato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Anywhere
    Posts
    6,671
    Blog Entries
    435

    Follow Yato on Tumblr

    Default Re: Should Ash age or not ?

    A lot of other shounen anime have the characters age up by two or three years over time. The characters from One-Piece, Naruto... Heck even Sailor Moon aged over time.

    The anime with characters NOT aging - Shin-chan, Maruko, Detective Conan, Doraemon... the shows are directly named after the main characters, indicating that this anime revolves around the character itself. Also, except for Detective Conan, they're all slice-of-life comedies and thus do not require the characters to grow up to fulfill the anime's needs. As for Conan... let's make him an exception.

    Pokemon isn't a slice-of-life comedy dealing with everyday life issues. It's about travelling - going on an adventure, meeting new people, and training to get stronger. It's only right that Ash matures mentally AND physically over time. Ash SHOULD age

  5. #260
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    8

    Default Re: Should Ash age or not ?

    If you think about it this entire debacle is stupid. theres several occurences where it clearly shows that its been a year since a certain event time and time again, and constatly tells us that they've been on so and so adventure for several months. theres a certain episode of pokemon only shown on one of the movies that clearly states its the 1 year anniversary of ash and Pikachu's first meeting and yet the show clearly states that ash is 10 years old in black and white? Bullcrap. I know you can argue that its an anime and it doesn't need to make sense. But even still, their constant re-integration of ash's idiocy is annoing. He NEEDS to age for his own sake.

  6. #261
    Moderator Hidden Mew's Avatar Forum Head
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Somewhere dreaming forever
    Posts
    4,232

    Default Re: Should Ash age or not ?

    Quote Originally Posted by ScatherScyth View Post
    If you think about it this entire debacle is stupid. theres several occurences where it clearly shows that its been a year since a certain event time and time again, and constatly tells us that they've been on so and so adventure for several months. theres a certain episode of pokemon only shown on one of the movies that clearly states its the 1 year anniversary of ash and Pikachu's first meeting and yet the show clearly states that ash is 10 years old in black and white? Bullcrap. I know you can argue that its an anime and it doesn't need to make sense. But even still, their constant re-integration of ash's idiocy is annoing. He NEEDS to age for his own sake.
    I don't really see how Ash aging would be good for his own shake. He would act the same most likely, so there's not much of a benefit for him or for the audience in my opinion. I still would have preferred if they kept his age ambiguous so that fans could speculate about how old he was. I remember doing that a lot during AG and DP, so it would have been nice to keep doing that through BW too.
    YamiiDenryuu likes this.

  7. #262
    █▄ █▄█ █▇ █ █▀█ KaiserLugia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Whirl Islands
    Posts
    188
    Trophies

    Default Re: Should Ash age or not ?

    There's a certain episode near the end of a league where Ash says to Misty or visa-versa "Wow, I can't believe it has been a year..." or somewhere along those lines and the leagues with 2-3 months wait time. I think Ash should at least tick one year or don't even state his age at all.
    No.

  8. #263
    Tsundere Alert! Naoto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Right behind you...
    Posts
    3,260
    Blog Entries
    34

    Default Re: Should Ash age or not ?

    I dunno, I've been watching the anime since I was 6, and I'm 17 now... I just think that it's a little weird that Ash hasn't aged a day...

    If they don't make him 13 years old at least, I think they should just create a new protagonist completely.

  9. #264
    Registered User Slkitzle's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    18

    Default Re: Should Ash age or not ?

    I don't know why some people make a huge deal about Ash never aging. Neither do any of the other characters. Besides, there are plenty of shows that do the exact same thing.
    However, I'll admit that it's a little strange that he is ten years old. I can see that they might have made him so to help the targeted audience identify with him, but his doesn't really look or act the part.

  10. #265
    So what's your wish? Yato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Anywhere
    Posts
    6,671
    Blog Entries
    435

    Follow Yato on Tumblr

    Default Re: Should Ash age or not ?

    Why are there even flashbacks in the show, if Ash hadn't aged? TECHNICALLY, HE HAS AGED. We've seen flashbacks of young Ash and Gary - most notably the one where they were at a theater. They let Ash age from a young kid to a ten-year-old. Why they didn't let Ash age beyond ten is the question, if they were fine with him aging at all

  11. #266
    With Lady Rainicorn too! Miss Mew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Gender
    Uncertain
    Location
    In some trainer's Pokeball
    Posts
    316

    Default Re: Should Ash age or not ?

    I want Ash to age... and to get a girlfriend.

    Somebody please check out my RP!!! Claimer of moody and present!

  12. #267
    Moderator Hidden Mew's Avatar Forum Head
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Somewhere dreaming forever
    Posts
    4,232

    Default Re: Should Ash age or not ?

    Quote Originally Posted by KaiserLugia View Post
    There's a certain episode near the end of a league where Ash says to Misty or visa-versa "Wow, I can't believe it has been a year..." or somewhere along those lines and the leagues with 2-3 months wait time. I think Ash should at least tick one year or don't even state his age at all.
    That was actually when they arrived back in Vridian City. I'm also pretty sure that it was a dub-only line. The Leagues do tend to take place two to three months time in-universe though. I still think that they shouldn't have stated his age in BW. At least it gave fans the fun in speculating how old he could be and saying that he hasn't aged during the course of the series is kind of strange. I don't have as much of a problem with it as other fans can, but it definitely doesn't seem like the best choice to confirm him as being a ten year old in retrospect.

  13. #268
    追放されたバカ
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,156
    Blog Entries
    5

    Default Re: Should Ash age or not ?

    Yes. It's been 16+ years of the anime with Ash traveling through a total of 5 regions already. There's no way he can be 10 after all of these events.

    Besides that, I haven't been able to believe he's 10 anymore since his English dub voice changed. He sounds much more like a late teen than a kid to me in the dub since Sarah took over the role. I would probably have less trouble accepting the change if they actually bothered to age the characters on this show.

  14. #269
    Moderator Hidden Mew's Avatar Forum Head
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Somewhere dreaming forever
    Posts
    4,232

    Default Re: Should Ash age or not ?

    Quote Originally Posted by EmotionalTensionPKMN View Post
    Yes. It's been 16+ years of the anime with Ash traveling through a total of 5 regions already. There's no way he can be 10 after all of these events.

    Besides that, I haven't been able to believe he's 10 anymore since his English dub voice changed. He sounds much more like a late teen than a kid to me in the dub since Sarah took over the role. I would probably have less trouble accepting the change if they actually bothered to age the characters on this show.
    I always thought that Veronica Taylor's voice for Ash made him sound older than a ten year old, especially in AG. His current voice doesn't really make me think of him as a teenager. If anything, he sounds younger to me. I still don't really mind that Ash doesn't age. It's weird and I still think that time still passes, but no one ages for whatever reason, as I prefer that over everything happening in less than a year, but I don't think it would benefit Ash's character. It would provide some comfort to the audience, but since I don't think Ash would act any differently if he was fifteen instead of ten, I don't see why he should age from a character perspective.

  15. #270
    追放されたバカ
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,156
    Blog Entries
    5

    Default Re: Should Ash age or not ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hidden Mew View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by EmotionalTensionPKMN View Post
    Yes. It's been 16+ years of the anime with Ash traveling through a total of 5 regions already. There's no way he can be 10 after all of these events.

    Besides that, I haven't been able to believe he's 10 anymore since his English dub voice changed. He sounds much more like a late teen than a kid to me in the dub since Sarah took over the role. I would probably have less trouble accepting the change if they actually bothered to age the characters on this show.
    I always thought that Veronica Taylor's voice for Ash made him sound older than a ten year old, especially in AG. His current voice doesn't really make me think of him as a teenager. If anything, he sounds younger to me. I still don't really mind that Ash doesn't age. It's weird and I still think that time still passes, but no one ages for whatever reason, as I prefer that over everything happening in less than a year, but I don't think it would benefit Ash's character. It would provide some comfort to the audience, but since I don't think Ash would act any differently if he was fifteen instead of ten, I don't see why he should age from a character perspective.
    Well, Veronica made him sound way older than 10 at first, like 20, in like early Kanto, but from Orange Islands onwards, he always sounded 10 to me. Even in Hoenn, he sounded 10, just that his voice's tone got a bit deeper.

    With Sarah, he sounded 10 at first in early BF, then like 25 in late BF, 17-20 in early DP, 14 in later DP, and now he sounds 12-13 in BW to me. I always thought Veronica sounded much younger and lighter-pitched than Sarah (just comparing Veronica's AG performance to Sarah's DP performance, Veronica sounds more like a kid to me). A big part of why I prefer Veronica's performance to Sarah's stems not only from the enthusiasm I feel she brought to the role, but how much more age-appropriate she was as well in the role.

    Ash sounds younger in Unova than in Sinnoh because Sarah finally learned to lighten his voice up after about 4 1/2 seasons of that really deep, grouchy voice he used to have, IMO. Honestly, that's why I disliked Sarah's performance so much...truthfully, it's never, ever sounded like a kid at all to me. *shrugs*
    Last edited by Pokémon Master Ash; 16th June 2013 at 08:05 AM.

Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •