Should Ash age or not ? - Page 13

View Poll Results: Should Ash age or not ?

Voters
200. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes,Ash should age by now

155 77.50%
  • No, Ash should remain a kid for rest of the series

45 22.50%
Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Should Ash age or not ?

Blog Entries
    Follow FinalSynFrey On Twitter
    Visit FinalSynFrey's Youtube Channel

Default Re: Should Ash age or not ?

Ash should have aged when they mentioned before that It was their one year anniversary since he began his journey with Pikachu. I thought that carried over with the past Seasons until BW first aired and hearing that he is still TEN. I can understand the writers are trying to appeal to newer generation kids, but they have this attitude when a new region is introduced, they think that their older viewers will not watch It and expects these newer kids to watch It. Therefore, instead of him aging, they still make him TEN. Here's what I have a problem with.

While you can keep him TEN for many years to come, eventually, you will come to the point where you can't do much with Ash's character anymore. Might as well throw him off the show and put a new protagonist in. By adjusting his age, maybe in his teen years (13+), they could open up to much more possibilities with Ash's character development. First, he needs to do the promises that he made with trainers he has met and that also includes Max. At the end of AG/BF, Max promised to Ash they would battle If he gets his first Pokemon. In order for that to happen, Max needs to age, so will Ash. It won't make sense If Max is 10 and Ash is 10. Second, It would open up to much more challenging battles. Maybe a much higher expectation than Gym battles? Why do I say this? Look at It this way, with him aging, he will become a much more experienced trainer. He will learn his mistakes and improve on that. Ash also wants to be a "Pokemon Master". How are you going to achieve this If you aren't going to age and not knowing what everyone was teaching him in the past? It seems like he goes to a new region and forgets everything of what he learned. So what's the point of becoming a Pokemon Master If you aren't going to look back on what those trainers/people have told you. This is why he constantly loses every Pokemon League Tournament. Because he is focused on winning that he doesn't want to come up with better strategies to help him win.

In all honestly, Pokemon has become a money grub franchise. These directors/writers/staff only care about making money and not caring about the story at all. Why bother? The Pokemon Anime storyline really needs fixing because Its a total mess right now. And the thing holding them back is Ash being TEN all the time.

Anyways, that's my opinion If Ash should age or not.

Follow PockyAddict On Twitter Add PockyAddict on Facebook
    Follow PockyAddict on Tumblr Visit PockyAddict's Youtube Channel

I don't think he should age at all, I just wished they never said his age ie keep it ambiguous. -_- Although ash still being 10 kills the chance of max ever coming back to the anime as a Pokemon trainer (even tho in the anime and games there are kids his age with pokemon).

Tracey's #1 fangirl Kenji-girl's Avatar Archives StaffBulbapedia Editorial Board

Follow Kenji-girl on Tumblr

I don't get why people are so insistent that he age. I mean no one complains that Bart Simpson has been 10 for over 20 years... I just see Pokemon the same as The Simpsons. It's evident that time passes by but they remain the same age. It's known as a floating timeline. And years actually do pass in The Simpsons. All mentioning of years passing in the anime are all dub added.

The Stray Veteran Pokemon Blazing Charmander's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kenji-girl View Post
    I don't get why people are so insistent that he age. I mean no one complains that Bart Simpson has been 10 for over 20 years... I just see Pokemon the same as The Simpsons. It's evident that time passes by but they remain the same age. It's known as a floating timeline. And years actually do pass in The Simpsons. All mentioning of years passing in the anime are all dub added.
    The difference is that in The Simpsons, the world pretty much stands still with each new episode merely introducing different quirks and storylines that don't insist on actual plot progression. There are admittedly episodes where we gain an insight into the past of characters or dream sequences showing how their lives may be in the future, but by and large these storylines are inconsequential. In Pokemon, Ash has been on a journey across various different regions in nearly 15 years of real time, in which time he was showing signs of maturity and developing into a truly competent Pokemon trainer. While there was no evidence that Ash or his fellow companions were aging, the ambiguity left by the writers by not mentioning it left fans with the blissful freedom of deciding whether time had actually passed in the Pokemon world. From episode 1 of Best Wishes, that creative freedom was completely taken away from us with the revelation that Ash is still 10 years old.

The way that I see it is that Bart Simpson is still the same juvenile kid that he was some 20 or so years ago, while Ash has (or had) clearly undertaken character development since starting out on his journey, with a maturity beyond that of a 10 year old. I was one who grew up with the original series, and while I revisit the series from time to time for nostalgia's sake and still enjoy it to this day, I have to say that I was enjoying the serious strides that Ash was taking towards becoming a reputable and recognised Pokemon trainer. As mentioned before, the ambiguity surrounding his age helped with this because it is difficult to imagine that a 10 year old (fictional character or not) could have achieved all that Ash has to date. Unfortunately that safety net was removed in Best Wishes and the harsh truth is that Ash will likely now remain 10 until the writers are done with him.

I loathe the fact that I am left with no choice but to agree with Iris' "You're such a kid" remarks, because that is what Ash is, or it is at least the fate that the writers decided to bestow on his character in this most recent saga. For the first time I feel that I cannot relate with a character that I previously always felt had grown up with me.
    "My Dream..."

追放されたバカ

Yes, and it doesn't even need to be a dramatic change. Before BW001 confirming he was still in fact 10, I assumed he was about 13 through Sinnoh and thought he would be (and he seems) like he could be 14 in Unova.

Quote Originally Posted by Therian View Post
    Yes, and it doesn't even need to be a dramatic change. Before BW001 confirming he was still in fact 10, I assumed he was about 13 through Sinnoh and thought he would be (and he seems) like he could be 14 in Unova.
    That's what I thought too. Let's see if I can count imaginatively:

OS/Johto: 10/11 years
    Hoenn/BF: 12 years
    Sinnoh/BW: 13 years

Since Ash looks even younger now than he was in Sinnoh, is it fair to say his 14 just yet? No. Not unless Hilda or Hilbert was a factor in this.

Team Rocket Agent KatsumiChris1991's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Therian View Post
    Yeah that's what I was thinking, the start of a new region could be one year, so Ash should be at least 14 years old by now.. It's kind of preposterous that going to ALL those regions and he's still 10

I really feel like them saying he was still 10 was one of the worst decisions on their part. the reason why many of us followed the story of Ash is because we were seeing this kid grow from a slightly cocky immature rookie into an experienced trainer that was getting closer to his goal. we grew up with him in our minds, we saw the hardships he had to endure, we saw the tough decisions he had to make, we saw him become abetter strategist, we saw him even become sort of a mentor for a while.they layed all the right pieces on the ground for him to finally obtain his goals and become a master. And in most rights,he pretty much was, as he better understood the bonds between humans and pokemon.

But then with BW they pulled a New 52 and pretty much retconned his knowledge and age to make him a rookie again, which really left a double edged taste for everyone, as it made the older fans feel like all the buildup was for nothing he is just a dog chasing a car(or in this case a Ho-Oh), notknowing what to do when he reaches it. the mindset that the main character has to never age has been disproven by many series out there-Naruto, One Piece, Ben 10, and many others have proven you can age a character and still maintain he same audience and success(in fact the only major failure I can think of is All Grown Up, the sequel to Rugrats.) I mean the main character of Dragonball grew into a man in his 20s and 30s, but that series STILL became hugely popular and managed to get a younger audience.

Although many people do overrate the B2W2 trailer, they do have a point in that the series should have a tone that has a feeling that the characters are growing up alongside us. Black & White has been praised for the fact that it had a very good side story alongside the whole "kid gets 8 badges and becomes champ" story. adding story elements like this alongside the main series showing the bonds of humans and Pokemon and showing the importance of the relationship would be a benefit and can help develop the overall story arc. this is why I was kind of disappointed at the lack of N in the series, as his ideals could make a great statement to the motives of Ash and would be a nice reverse of Paul's philosophy of battle from DP.

so the basic point I'm getting at is that YES, I feel Ash should age, because the evidence that suggests him getting older would lose the audience has been debunked by several other popular series this generation. and he doesn't even need to age fast or anything- Peter Parker was 16 when he sarted as Spider-man, and is currently around 29 now, so Ash aging a year or two wouldn't hurt at all.

Heres something that i think could make sence. its NOT what i want it to be but it could work.
    January = Kanto
    February = Kanto/Orange Islands
    March = Johto
    April = Johto
    May = Johto
    June = Hoenn
    July = Hoenn
    August = Hoenn
    September = Hoenn/Kanto
    October = Sinnoh
    November = Sinnoh
    December = Sinnoh

NEW YEAR
    January = Sinnoh
    February = Unova
    March = Unova (RIGHT NOW)

It would be based on the US seasons. This would make Ash 11 right now. Its not really possible (Traveling 4 1/2 regions in 1 year) but it works for the show.

Friend Codes
    Black - 5071-8752-3048
    Black 2 - 5372-8219-4417
    X/Y/Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire/3DS - 1891-1162-9584

What I would want is that Ash should age sometime, but like when the Anime almost ends.

Avatar and signature made by me.

Blog Entries
    Follow FinalSynFrey On Twitter
    Visit FinalSynFrey's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Porygon2 View Post
    What I would want is that Ash should age sometime, but like when the Anime almost ends.
    That doesn't make sense at all. The Anime still has a long way before It ends. The only reason why we need Ash to age is to make the damn Anime move forward. With him stuck at Age 10, there is no way he will achieve his goal to become a POKEMON MASTER.

Quote Originally Posted by FinalSynFrey View Post
    That doesn't make sense at all. The Anime still has a long way before It ends. The only reason why we need Ash to age is to make the damn Anime move forward. With him stuck at Age 10, there is no way he will achieve his goal to become a POKEMON MASTER.
    It does make sense, the anime will end sometime. Or it doesn't have to end and retire Ash from being the main character.

Avatar and signature made by me.

No, he should not age. Nobody wants to see him with wrinkles and a wheelchair. It's bad enough he already has the memory loss.

When was it confirmed in bw thAt ash/satoshi is still ten years old?

^ The narrator says so, first episode of BW!. Dub and original.

(Speaking of which, who else besides me is glad that they had that happen? I've seen a lot of "I wish they hadn't said his age" posts so I wasn't sure.)

Quote Originally Posted by U-missed-a-spot View Post
    No, he should not age. Nobody wants to see him with wrinkles and a wheelchair. It's bad enough he already has the memory loss.
    But why would he have to get even as high as, say, middle age if he were hypothetically going to age after all?
    Last edited by Rex Kamex; 15th September 2012 at 10:38 AM.
    Seasons =/= Regions

Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast