Should Ash age or not ? - Page 12

View Poll Results: Should Ash age or not ?

Voters
200. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes,Ash should age by now

155 77.50%
  • No, Ash should remain a kid for rest of the series

45 22.50%
Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
Like Tree276Likes

Thread: Should Ash age or not ?

Default Re: Should Ash age or not ?

Let him age isnt suppose to be 15 by now

They should have let him age, but not in real time. It should have been 1 region = 1 year. If they'd done it like that, White/Touko would probably be with him instead of Iris and Dent. They probably only added Iris because White's older than Satoshi (not sure about that, just guessing).
    Blazing Charmander likes this.

Moderator Hidden Mew's Avatar Forum Head

Quote Originally Posted by ZetaZaku View Post
    They should have let him age, but not in real time. It should have been 1 region = 1 year. If they'd done it like that, White/Touko would probably be with him instead of Iris and Dent. They probably only added Iris because White's older than Satoshi (not sure about that, just guessing).
    I think not having the female trainer into the main cast had more to do with not having a sidequest she could participate in more so than Ash not aging. I'm pretty sure that the trainers in the B/W games are older than ten, but I don't know if they ever mentioned a specific age for them anywhere.

Anyway, I still don't really see much appeal in the idea of Ash aging. It sounds kind of nice, but I don't think that Ash would change dramatically if he was eleven instead of ten. I doubt that he would have a significant increase in maturity if he did age. I still wish that they had kept it vague enough in the show where people could speculate if he did age or not. It would satisfy people who thought that he did age, as I kind of did at least during AG and DP, as well as keep him ten for the kids watching the show. I don't really think he needs to be ten for kids to follow his journey, but that tends to be a reason for keeping main characters in anime aimed at children from aging.

lol@the pictures.

Him aging would probably make it easier for people who watched the show as kids to keep watching it, however keeping him at 10 allows them to attract the new generation of watchers who outweigh the old school viewers.

Quote Originally Posted by Hidden Mew View Post
    Anyway, I still don't really see much appeal in the idea of Ash aging. It sounds kind of nice, but I don't think that Ash would change dramatically if he was eleven instead of ten. I doubt that he would have a significant increase in maturity if he did age.
    However you look at it, at least two years must have passed in the whole series. All episodes are a different day for him (some even last longer than a day), so at least two or three years must have passed. It's kinda creepy that he's still 10 years old after two years. He doesn't have to be more mature, as age has nothing to do with it (more the experience during his travels). He could still be the same Ash he's now in BW even if he was 12. He's not Peter Pan.

Blog Entries

However you look at it
    Look at it without the assumption that a year in the Anime world is 365 days, because there's no evidence that it is.

However you look at it, at least two years must have passed in the whole series. All episodes are a different day for him (some even last longer than a day), so at least two or three years must have passed. It's kinda creepy that he's still 10 years old after two years. He doesn't have to be more mature, as age has nothing to do with it (more the experience during his travels). He could still be the same Ash he's now in BW even if he was 12. He's not Peter Pan.
    Time has passed in the series and i do think that he's been traveling for years, despite how Ash is still ten, but there's nothing that suggest any specific number of years have passed since the beginning of the series. I always thought that age does play a role in growing maturity, but the experiences during his travels would play a big part in that as well. The fact that he could still be the same person he is now in BW even if he was twelve makes me think that there isn't much of a point in Ash aging. If it doesn't lead to any significant changes in his character, I don't see the point of Ash aging.

Blog Entries

Honestly, the main reason people want Ash to age so bad is because of the misconception that if he gets older, the entire show will magically become more "mature".
    It won't. Whether he's 10 or 21, Ash will always be a naive, dense kid. That's the whole point of his character. If anything, letting him grow physically will just make his character less believable and a lot more awkward.

As for the whole 'years passing' thing...I subscribe to the theory of longer years in the Pokemon world. There's no reason to believe that in a world where the laws of physics are completely different, a year there would still be the exact same length as a year here.
    MizuTaipu and voicerocker like this.
    [avatar: pixiv]

Ash aging would present a few problems for the writers; expectations and marketability.

Ash, while improving his standing in each of his leagues (except Johto-Hoenn, but that's explained by his lack of reserves in Hoenn), has yet to win one. That's perfectly fine for a 10 year old kid who is seemingly only in his "first year" in training Pokemon. However, if he were to age up to 14 or 15 like what has been suggested you would assume expectations would be much higher for Ash, and his league losses would be deemed more unacceptable than they are now (imagine the writers having to pull a Tobias every league just to stall him for a major win). The past two League winners we've seen were older than Ash (Tyson and Tobias) as are the past two regional Champions (Cynthia and Alder). I think if Ash were to age the expectations would be that he would have to take the next step as a trainer and win a League/not reset.

The reset brings me to my second point. Ash is a proxy for every kid just starting out with Pokemon, the very kids the anime caters to in order to push sales of the games and merchandise. Think back to when you first started playing the games for the first time. I've sat back and had a good laugh at how much of a noob I was at training and how bad I am compared to what I am today. Ash reflects that 10 year old. He's going to make clown mistakes because he's young and doesn't know better, and while you can argue that he should because he's been through 4 leagues going on 5, he is still 10 and that makes his mistakes much more acceptable.

I would love for the writers to age Ash and watch him battle with more out of the box strategy and face greater challenges, but given the purpose of his character I just don't see it happening.
    Last edited by Red Inferno; 1st August 2012 at 10:15 PM.
    Pokemon White FC: 0648 4815 7165
    Pokemon White 2 FC: 3869 6438 9106

Blog Entries

Visit Sweenix's Youtube Channel

ash aging would hurt the anime more then it would gain, the show is specifcally for 10 year olds "anyone can watch but there main audience is that demographic" so a 15 year old trainer wouldn't make sence, ash has to be 10 FOREVER
    Proud Advance/Amour/Final Fantasy Shipper :)

Serebii | Youtube | Advancers | IGN | Ubiforums

Blog Entries
    Follow voicerocker On Twitter
    Visit voicerocker's Youtube Channel

No. He's been the same age for 15 years. No reason to change it.

I really don't see why people get so upset because a cartoon character doesn't age. It's just a cartoon, about magical battling creatures at that, so why question that a character hasn't aged? The show is for kids, we all need to accept that and deal with it. If you like it, watch. If not, change the channel. I don't follow the anime every time a new episode comes on like I did when I was a kid, but I know how the majority of the show is gonna work, so I just watch the episodes I find interesting, have a Pokemon I like in it, or a certain voice actor appearing in the episode.

Really though, what would aging do for him other than help get rid of him? Overall, it seems that people really just want Ash gone, whether it's from a Pokemon League victory, or by aging him again and again until he apparently dies. Are we really to the point where we wish to see such an important character to Pokemon as a whole just die because we want something else?

I think Ash being a kid is a good thing for the anime. Your days as a kid are your funnest and most carefree, and allowing Ash to remain a kid allows him to continue to enjoy those carefree youthful days, unlike adulthood which (let's face it) tends to suck compared to back in the day. So no, Ash should stay a kid for the entire series.
    PockyAddict likes this.
    "Believe in yourself and create your own destiny. Don't fear failure." - Only Toonami

I don't really see how Ash aging into a teenager, or even to an eleven year old, would really hurt the show that much. There are quite a few other series with protagonists older than the target audience, so I don't think that Ash aging would be a huge turn off for the kids watching it. Even so, I don't think that the show would really gain much out of Ash aging either. His personality would be pretty much the same and he was more mature in the last couple of series while still being ten, so it's not like they need him to age to make Ash more mature. I still would have preferred if they didn't confirm that Ash was ten in the premiere for BW, if only so that people could still speculate as to how old he is for the fun of it, but I don't really see much of a benefit for the show or for Ash's character if he was allowed to age.

I really never had a problem with Ash aging or not. If Ash were to age then the show would automatically be focused for preteens and teenagers. Look at how older the Pokemon special characters are from the show's. So much difference especially dealing with plots and maturity. But I think they want to grab attention to kids who are a certain age bracket more than anything. If older people have a problem with it then maybe it doen't appeal to their age group.

No. The show is for kids, if Ash grew up too much, the writers would probably replace him for a younger character because they'll say he can't connect with the audience anymore. Also, if he grows up, they can't just ignore his progress from time to time, so he'd soon become an expert and as a result, there would be no conflicts and the show would be really boring (unless you want the conflicts of an angsty teenager or something XD.)
    Red Inferno likes this.
    つまらないものはさっさと消去。

ricochet, take your aim Titanium's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow Titanium On Twitter Add Titanium on Facebook

I still think it's funny how parents let their 10 year old children travel the world, getting into trouble.

You know, back in my day, we had curfews, that we never followed but we were still given them. :P

Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast