Is the Pokémon Anime a children's show, or is there more to it than that? - Page 6

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 76 to 90 of 175
Like Tree89Likes

Thread: Is the Pokémon Anime a children's show, or is there more to it than that?

  1. #76
    I'm Alive The Puppetmaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Broadway
    Posts
    2,086
    Blog Entries
    50

    Default Re: Is the Pokémon Anime a children's show, or is there more to it than that?

    Queen Cynthia, Piplup, cool it. Debate the posts, don't attack each other.

  2. #77
    Pokémon Trainer MageLeif's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    55

    Default Re: Is the Pokémon Anime a children's show, or is there more to it than that?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dogasu View Post
    ...I still don't understand how you can be misinterpreting my words so completely.
    Okay, I'll start from the beginning since it will be less confusing for us both.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dogasu View Post
    He said that it was the manga that most resembled the world he imagined in his mind. And given the fact that the only other Pocket Monsters manga out at that time was a gag manga about a talking Pippi, a loosely-based on the TV series manga drawn by a former porn artist, and a series of four-panel comic strips, that's not saying a whole hell of a lot.
    To me, the manga you are talking about is Pokémon Pocket Monsters because it is the one with Pippi in it. I am not sure if it was also the one done by a former porn artist, but the fact that it features nudity two times makes like that would be the case.

    However, now people are saying you are talking about Pokémon Special, not Pokémon Pocket Monsters which is what's confusing me.

  3. #78
    Load of Belloni
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    2,299
    Blog Entries
    14

    Default Re: Is the Pokémon Anime a children's show, or is there more to it than that?

    He means 'Pocket Monsters' as in the franchise overall, which 'Pokemon' is short for. Not the manga called 'Pocket Monsters'. That's where the confusion seems to stem from here.

  4. #79
    XY Piplup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    8,110

    Default Re: Is the Pokémon Anime a children's show, or is there more to it than that?

    Quote Originally Posted by MageLeif View Post
    To me, the manga you are talking about is Pokémon Pocket Monsters because it is the one with Pippi in it.
    Dogasu meant that Satoshi saying Special/Adventures is his favorite doesn't mean much when the only other Pokémon manga at the time where the Pippi and that other one
    Today there are lots of various different Pokémon manga series... so Satoshi might change his mind if he see one of the newer ones...

  5. #80
    Loving all things Eevee Eeveeanne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Usa/ missouri
    Posts
    275
    Blog Entries
    28

    Default Re: Is the Pokémon Anime a children's show, or is there more to it than that?

    I think Pokemon started as mostly a kids show. But as it's audience and players grew so did the storyline and some to the characters. Ash I think pretty much stayed the same for the kids but dawn's confidents issues, may not liking pokemon but wanting adventure, max who wanted to go too but was too young and the things he learned, brock changing to become a doctor and all the stories in between. And don't forget the bad guys plots. We've gone from taking over by owning the most powerful to separating trainer and pokemon. Now that i think about it, if you love the francise, there's a little something for everyone in the series. Though I will say that this series hasn't impressed me as much....

  6. #81
    Angelic Champion Queen Cynthia's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    together with Cynthia forever
    Posts
    1,169

    Default Re: Is the Pokémon Anime a children's show, or is there more to it than that?

    Quote Originally Posted by Piplup View Post
    By being a mature adult who doesn't care what others think and isn't ashamed of loving kids cartoons, which are one of the best things ever in our boring world!
    You know, this argument of yours could be interpreted in two ways. At first glance it looks like a reasonable repsonse to my post, but your "I don't care what people think of me"-line could be seen as a means of isolating yourself from the outside world. Do you know that picture with the three chimps that cover their eyes, mouth and ears so they don't have to care about what is going on in the world?

    I myself am sad about many terrible things in our doomed world, too, and I'm grateful for wonderful shows like Pokemon that make you forget all that mess but nevertheless, we mustn't completely hide away from the world out there either. Just saying.

    Which also leads me to the fact most of my loved anime are "mahou shoujo" - magical girls stories which clearly are aimed at young girls... so again with your logic, just because it isn't aimed at males or adults, I can't watch CardCaptor Sakura or Sailor Moon even though I really love them and think of them as some of the best shows ever? With your logic, I should ignore my own opinions and feelings and only do what some other people decided I should do?
    You have to decide for yourself, but especially the part with Sailor Moon and the other shows clearly aimed at girls kind of frightens me like hell. That's the curse of the internet: You never know what guys you're talking to. But as I more or less know that you're quite ok, let me give you the benefit of the doubt! :) But still, my criticism goes for all those crazy freaks out there on the internet!


    Quote Originally Posted by Dogasu
    ...and then you go on to say that adults who watch kids' cartoons are either retarded or perverts.
    um, and where exactly is the contradiction now?
    A children's show can indeed be very good and of high quality. I never denied that! But it doesn't change the fact that they're geared towards CHILDREN. (Again, I'm talking about what I'd like to call 'real children's shows', not Pokemon, which doesn't fall under this definition for me) And it's those very adults who watch such childish shows that I labeled as mentally ill. Just wanted to make that clear
    "When I was younger, I used to dream of nothing other than becoming powerful through being victorious in battle, and so I trained endlessly."


    Please visit the CYNTHIA CLUB

  7. #82
    XY Piplup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    8,110

    Default Re: Is the Pokémon Anime a children's show, or is there more to it than that?

    Quote Originally Posted by Queen Cynthia View Post
    your "I don't care what people think of me"-line could be seen as a means of isolating yourself from the outside world.
    What? So now not being ashamed in what you love somehow means you've "isolated yourself from the outside world"??? No, all it means is that you aren't letting others' opinions to control your life... you live your life the way you want, not the way others said you should... so if you want to watch a cartoon for kids (which you do) there's nothing wrong with it... stop being ashamed and trying to cover up the fact you enjoy a kids cartoon... if you're truly mature, you shouldn't have problems with admitting you're watching a kids cartoon and understanding that there's nothing wrong with that
    You're actually acting kind of childish in insisting it's somehow not aimed at kids when it clearly is...

    You have to decide for yourself, but especially the part with Sailor Moon and the other shows clearly aimed at girls kind of frightens me like hell.
    Why? Because males can't enjoy a show where the main star is a female? They aren't allowed to like stories involving romance?
    (and, just so you know, Sailor Moon is just as much as mature as Pokémon, if not even more...)

    But as I more or less know that you're quite ok, let me give you the benefit of the doubt! :) But still, my criticism goes for all those crazy freaks out there on the internet!
    Wait... so you're "approving" (lol) me watching magical girl anime? because "you know I'm ok"?...
    If so, why are you against others doing the same? If you say I'm "ok" despite watching these shows, why you're insisting "99%" of others who do the same are wrong?...

    And it's those very adults who watch such childish shows that I labeled as mentally ill.
    Why? Who are you to decide for others what they should or shouldn't enjoy?
    If you truly love something, you shouldn't hide it or force yourself to stop doing it just because you're afraid of what others will think of you...
    Last edited by Piplup; 23rd June 2011 at 05:29 PM.

  8. #83
    Ma-ho-ho-ho! TeddiUrsa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    877
    Blog Entries
    8

    Default Re: Is the Pokémon Anime a children's show, or is there more to it than that?

    Quote Originally Posted by Queen Cynthia View Post
    A children's show can indeed be very good and of high quality. I never denied that! But it doesn't change the fact that they're geared towards CHILDREN. (Again, I'm talking about what I'd like to call 'real children's shows', not Pokemon, which doesn't fall under this definition for me) And it's those very adults who watch such childish shows that I labeled as mentally ill. Just wanted to make that clear

    Accourding to you many people on earth are mentally ill or retarded because they aren't part of the target audience of some of those shows they like?
    You have to be blind or disillusioned not to realise that Pokémon is geared towards children.
    Sailor Moon isn't a totally deep or profound show but the plotlines of said show really aren't much more childish than Pokémon.

    Face it: You defend Pokémon simply because you like it while you have prejudices against other children's shows.
    Why the double standards?

  9. #84
    Clap Clap Musashi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Isshu
    Posts
    16,983
    Blog Entries
    21

    Default Re: Is the Pokémon Anime a children's show, or is there more to it than that?

    Let's stop saying people are mentally ill for watching kids shows.

  10. #85
    samurai in autumn garrison-san's Avatar Administrator
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Gender
    Genderless
    Location
    Lake Wobegon
    Posts
    4,551
    Blog Entries
    9
    Follow garrison-san On Twitter
    Follow garrison-san on Tumblr

    Default Re: Is the Pokémon Anime a children's show, or is there more to it than that?

    I'll reiterate what Puppetmaster just said - debate the contents of each other's arguments, but do NOT attack the user.

    Quote Originally Posted by Musashi View Post
    Let's stop saying people are mentally ill for watching kids shows.
    That too.

  11. #86
    You think you're bad, don't ya? Karamazov's Avatar Administrator
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    5,884
    Blog Entries
    780

    Follow Karamazov on Tumblr

    Default Re: Is the Pokémon Anime a children's show, or is there more to it than that?

    I'm starting to think that Pokemon is aiming to become more universal in terms of demographic, not just a kiddie show.

    "Playing around?" Wrong.

  12. #87
    Angelic Champion Queen Cynthia's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    together with Cynthia forever
    Posts
    1,169

    Default Re: Is the Pokémon Anime a children's show, or is there more to it than that?

    Quote Originally Posted by garrison-san View Post
    I'll reiterate what Puppetmaster just said - debate the contents of each other's arguments, but do NOT attack the user.
    Where did I attack somebody here? I 've always referred to the users' posts. Piplup started getting personal.

    Why? Because males can't enjoy a show where the main star is a female? They aren't allowed to like stories involving romance?
    (and, just so you know, Sailor Moon is just as much as mature as Pokémon, if not even more...)
    Please think about that again and you'll realize that this simply can't be true in the first place. I adore and admire Cynthia more than anybody else in the world, so you can easily see that I have no problems whatsoever with female protagonist or heroines.
    It's just that I find it strange that you like a series that, as a whole, is geared towards girls. That's as if I read a women's fashion magazine like Cosmopolitan or whatever they're called...

    Wait... so you're "approving" (lol) me watching magical girl anime? because "you know I'm ok"?...
    If so, why are you against others doing the same? If you say I'm "ok" despite watching these shows, why you're insisting "99%" of others who do the same are wrong?...
    Well, that's why I said 99%.
    You're an exception and belong to that 1% of normal people according to what I've learned about you. Why aren't you just glad that I didn't refer to you personally. Instead you're reproaching me for all kind of things I never said.

    What? So now not being ashamed in what you love somehow means you've "isolated yourself from the outside world"??? No, all it means is that you aren't letting others' opinions to control your life... you live your life the way you want, not the way others said you should...
    No, but not caring what others think of you AT ALL, can result in stubbornness and isolation. I didn't say that this goes for you, but there's always this inherent risk involved, and reading your posts made me want to warn you about it ;)
    Again, I bet you that most people out there who don't understand Pokemon and are no members of our community here would consider this as a way of isolating yourself from the uncomfortable "truth".
    (I won't argue about this, because I know exactly what I'm talking about. All the people who know about my fancy for Pokemon acted like I just described. If your friends didn't, maybe you're living in paradise and don't have to face such problems. I envy you then.)

    Guys, I thought you're all fans, so instead of indirectly supporting our "enemies" out there (the folks who think that adults watching Pokemon are silly etc.) by saying that Pokemon is indeed a kids' show, why don't we all work together in order to aggressively counter our enemies' attacks? Why don't we defend Pokemon, our common interest, by finding arguments and solutions together?
    If we don't fight, we'll lose the battle someday. And there's not going to be a happy end like in Pokemon
    "When I was younger, I used to dream of nothing other than becoming powerful through being victorious in battle, and so I trained endlessly."


    Please visit the CYNTHIA CLUB

  13. #88
    Ma-ho-ho-ho! TeddiUrsa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    877
    Blog Entries
    8

    Default Re: Is the Pokémon Anime a children's show, or is there more to it than that?

    Quote Originally Posted by Queen Cynthia View Post

    Guys, I thought you're all fans, so instead of indirectly supporting our "enemies" out there (the folks who think that adults watching Pokemon are silly etc.) by saying that Pokemon is indeed a kids' show, why don't we all work together in order to aggressively counter our enemies' attacks? Why don't we defend Pokemon, our common interest, by finding arguments and solutions together?
    If we don't fight, we'll lose the battle someday. And there's not going to be a happy end like in Pokemon
    To be honest where is the fight? To many ( most?) of us Pokémon is a children's show. There isn't really much to debate here.
    Currently I am happy by watching a children's anime and no one of my friends would make jokes about me because of that. If I was 16 again when being "cool" and "edgy" was the greatest thing to most people around me I probably would say something different, but today I am mature enough to accept that I like a show which is made for children.
    There isn't a fight. There isn't a problem. There isn't an enemy.
    Grave-E and Yamato-san like this.

  14. #89
    Le Choléra Jabberwocky's Avatar Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Silicon Hills, Texas
    Posts
    18,139
    Blog Entries
    687
    Add Jabberwocky on Facebook
    Follow Jabberwocky on Tumblr

    Default Re: Is the Pokémon Anime a children's show, or is there more to it than that?

    Quote Originally Posted by Queen Cynthia View Post
    But let us be honest, you can't deny that in 99% of all cases, adults who watch real (!) children's shows are either perverts or mentally ill.
    Yes, I can. Tons of people love shows like My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, quite emphatically a children's show, for its good writing, engaging characters, and beautiful, fluid animation style.

    Many people people still love old 90s cartoons like Dexter's Laboratory, The Powerpuff Girls, and Johnny Bravo because, quite frankly, those shows are still quite funny even today.

    The people who enjoy these shows on their own merits far outnumber those who allegedly watch it due to "pervertedness" or mental instability.

  15. #90
    XY Piplup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    8,110

    Default Re: Is the Pokémon Anime a children's show, or is there more to it than that?

    Quote Originally Posted by Queen Cynthia View Post
    Where did I attack somebody here? I 've always referred to the users' posts. Piplup started getting personal.
    I'm just replying to your posts with my honest opinions... there was no intention to "attack" you, it may look like this but well... this is a debate and people will argue... if mods don't want that, then they shouldn't let this thread stay open...

    I adore and admire Cynthia more than anybody else in the world,
    You know, being SO crazy about a cartoon character isn't really what most would consider "normal"... so if you're saying people who watch cartoons for kids or ones that are aimed at the opposite gender are "retarded", then can't the same be applied to you?... it's probably annoying to hear this, but I'm just showing you what others feel when you use words such as "retatded" to describe them and how you judge them just cause they like something that you don't or think differently than you do...

    It's just that I find it strange that you like a series that, as a whole, is geared towards girls.
    But why? "for kids", "for adults", "for boys", "for girls" - it's all ridiculous stereotypes made up by people... that doesn't mean you can't love something that stereotipically won't be expected of you to love...

    That's as if I read a women's fashion magazine like Cosmopolitan or whatever they're called...
    I hope you realize Sailor Moon and similar shows aren't a 20-minutes episodes of "fashion"... there's some stereotipcally "girly" elements like romance or cute things (two things I enjoy despite being a guy and I don't think it's wrong) but these shows also have their fair amount of "action" or "adventure" scenes that may sometimes even be similar to Pokémon, or even go deeper than Pokémon at times...

    Well, that's why I said 99%.
    You're an exception and belong to that 1% of normal people according to what I've learned about you. Why aren't you just glad that I didn't refer to you personally. Instead you're reproaching me for all kind of things I never said.
    I'm not glad if you're saying I'm "ok" but that 99% of the people who share my interests are "retarded"

    No, but not caring what others think of you AT ALL, can result in stubbornness and isolation. I didn't say that this goes for you, but there's always this inherent risk involved, and reading your posts made me want to warn you about it ;)
    Well, then I warn you too that you shouldn't give in to what society decided people should or shouldn't do... everyone can love whatever he wants, regardless of how others would view it... also, real friends will not stop being your friends or pick on you for things like that even if they won't understand why you like these things... people are different, everyone is unique and have his own opinions and interests... the world would be even more boring than it is if everyone were identical clones that are following the "rules" society wrote for them

    Guys, I thought you're all fans,
    We are fans of what we view as a good kids cartoon that we're enjoying for what it is

    so instead of indirectly supporting our "enemies" out there
    There are no "enemies", no need to exaggerate...

    (the folks who think that adults watching Pokemon are silly etc.)
    I couldn't careless what they think... and if these were people that I actually care about, then I'll explain them why I enjoy kids cartoons and why I think THEY are the ones who are missing a lot by not doing it too
    They might not understand, but they'll accept you as who you are if they truly love you... just like I'm sure you're accepting them even if their interests aren't always what you'd want them to be... which again brings me to that everyone is allowed and should have their own interests and there's nothing bad about it if they're different than what some ridiculous people decided they "should" be interested at...

    Why don't we defend Pokemon, our common interest, by finding arguments and solutions together?
    Here's my arguments: cartoons and video games, even if are aimed mainly at young kids, are a great thing that I love to spend my time on (well, more cartoons than games... and more anime than any cartoons...)
    I enjoy them a lot and I think whoever doesn't just misses one of the best things in this world, so it's their lose...
    Eeveeanne, kiwinyan and Gunaydin like this.

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •