Filler Episodes - Are they important? - Page 5

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: Filler Episodes - Are they important?

Default Re: Filler Episodes - Are they important?

Fillers are necessary so that writers can have time to make episodes that aren't crap.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Caseydia View Post
    Fillers are necessary so that writers can have time to make episodes that aren't crap.
    That doesn't stop other shows.

Because other shows either end up cancelled or finished. Pokemon is and will always be on if there are people like us who still buy the games and feed into the madness.
    Last edited by Caseydia; 20th November 2011 at 08:44 PM.

Blog Entries

@Caseydia so you're saying that they have to make bad episodes constantly to give them time to make good ones. That's just way too bleek for me to buy. The can fit some drama in where the fillers are I am sure of it.

@Alphaphlare Well, I don't know why else would they waist theirs and our time if they are just going to keep making crap. I have seen Pokemon fillers that were good. They can make them, it's just that they aren't doing so well right now.

Blog Entries

Follow Yato on Tumblr

They're not really fun.... but if they put Youngster Joey in one of the fillers, I'd think about it.

Blog Entries

They can add some substance to the story.

Princess of Sinnoh martianmister's Avatar

Fillers are the best part of BW.
    1. Satoshi/Ash Ketchum: 801 episodes
    2. Team Rocket: 736 episodes
    3. Takeshi/Brock: 633 episodes
    4. Kasumi/Misty: 282 episodes
    5. Hikari/Dawn: 201 episodes
    6. Haruka/May: 197 episodes
    7. Masato/Max: 192 episodes
    8. Iris: 141 episodes
    9. Dent/Cilan: 138 episodes
    10. Kenji/Tracey: 44 episodes

MEGA F'ING AMPHAROS!!! Ampharos King's Avatar
    Blog Entries

As a general rule, the anime staff has to produce enough episodes of a particular region until the next main series games are developed and released. In some of these series, the writers do not leave enough loose ends or plot twists to develop storylines out of them. This was perhaps the reason why Kanto, and even Johto, had a lot of episodes that did not affect the canon.

The timeline from Gen I anime to Gen II was 2.5 years, and the Kanto League was finished at least 9 months before the Gen II games would be released in Japan. This was why the Orange Islands saga was made, a Gen I saga that had an abundance of episodes that (because of its nature as a "filler arc") did not drastically affect the canon too much.

Even though AG and DP focused on secondary storylines and developed extraneous characters to their fullest, these series also had a lot of filler episodes. This was especially apparent in AG when Ash did not have a formal rival until Morrison was introduced a few episodes before May's Grand Festival was started. The timeline between AG and DP, and DP and BW were four years each. The writers needed to stretch out both sagas at least that much until the next generation of games were released. This was why both AG and DP had a lot of filler episodes near the end of their runs.

Filler episodes are important for extending the life of a series that could have very well go into hiatus until the next games were set for release, but even so, the majority of fans still dislike the presence of filler all together. In some anime series, such as Naruto and Bleach, the filler material is introduced and developed abruptly, often in the middle of canonical story arcs. Therefore, I can see why some people do not like filler episodes.

Pokemon, however, does not have a linear storyline and unlike the former two examples, it is very flexible in its storytelling. As long as Ash fights the gym leaders and wins his badges, it does not matter how the episodes are presented. It is for this reason that I do not dislike the filler episodes in Pokemon. The filler episodes and characters may not have any true relevance to the storyline in the anime, but they are still important for providing entertainment to an audience and extending the vitality of the series for at least one more week.
    Trainer Yusuf likes this.

Blog Entries

True but the fact of the matter is most filler episode are redundant and boring. True best wishes tried to mix things up but the style of best wishes in general is inferior to the series at the very least imo. If they made the episodes diverse from the gecko maybe. But the thing that makes newer filler worse than older filler is that it is not always about pokemon training. What does a ribbon show have to do with anything? Why is Satoshi postponing his journey to hang out with random people often doing work for them? He's not obligated. It is not interesting.

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

Well fillers are a necessity to give the developers more times to release their next core title, even if it means sitting through the usual "gang meets trainer having trouble with Pokemon x, and Team Rocket plans to kidnap Pokemon x but later foiled by gang, cutting to the moral of the lesson."

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ghetsis-Dennis View Post
    Well fillers are a necessity to give the developers more times to release their next core title, even if it means sitting through the usual "gang meets trainer having trouble with Pokemon x, and Team Rocket plans to kidnap Pokemon x but later foiled by gang, cutting to the moral of the lesson."
    That's WAY to bleak for me to accept! They should find someway to make fillers more interesting or add in more arcs to the story. Star Trek, Cowboy Bebop and other shows are able to tell good one shot stories and others shows like glee have a gazillian things at once. So chose one or a combo and do it nintendo >:(

Registered User The Fighting Misty's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Some filler eps tend to be very funny or have good battles in them, others can be a total bore. It really depends on the episode.

When handled properly, filler episodes are fantastic and add a lot to the overall story. Now, I would never expect Pokemon to come anywhere near this show's level of quality, but Breaking Bad had one filler episode I remember - "Fly", and it added a lot to the series. Filler can be a great tool for character development and some subtler, quieter moments, which I don't think the Pokemon writers fully understand. That they're forced to advertise so much hurts the episodes as well; instead of giving the main characters much, much needed character development, we get a group of Duckling that we'll never see again have misadventures. Filler episodes could be much more important than they are. It would be very easy to focus simply on traveling, or giving a rival like Trip the chance to be the main character, but the writers underestimate the audience's intelligence and give us the same (or virtually the same) tired Pokemon-of-the-Week dynamic every time. Look at a show with a similar audience and (I imagine), budget, Digimon, which has always had some fantastic filler episodes.

Blog Entries

Filler is very boring for thew most part and they can really add more story. The are wayss to get around it.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast