Do you think the writers are handling Axew, and Scraggy's growth properly?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you think the writers are handling Axew, and Scraggy's growth properly?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Do you think the writers are handling Axew, and Scraggy's growth properly?

In this series we have two baby Pokemon growing alongside each other, there's been various talk about how each has been developed? Do you think they are doing a good job? What are the positives, and negative of both their progress.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Do you think the writers are handling Axew, and Scraggy's growth properly?

Moderator Note: Please remember that the topic of this thread is Kibago and Zuruggu specifically, this is not the thread to discuss their trainers and their growth or story. Please concentrate on Kibago and Zuruggu.

Thank you

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Do you think the writers are handling Axew, and Scraggy's growth properly?

As far as I'm concerned, scraggy is okay as a character, but, it's poor as a fighter and team member. It had a few decent battles, but it still needs more development of its power. I see scraggy more as a new phanpy: it have potential to be pretty good, it's active in the few battles it took part, however, I think a real challenge it's the only one thing left to it be truly strong pokemon and recognized as one, evolving or not.

Axew, on the other hand, it's a better generic version of togepi. I don't like the character and how it tries to be cute and likeable, but it just doesn't work (to me, at least). And the fact it is treated more like a pet than a battler doesn't help to change my perception of it. When I compare scraggy and axew, it looks like the former is heading to a chance of shine, meanwhile the chance it's given to axew out of the blue and for the sake of the plot, like tranquill/unfezant and roggenrola/boldore.
    Man, when you stop to think of it DP did have some crap in it. Its just that when people think about DP, they only remember Paul, Pokehunter J/Galactic and all the Gyms and Contests episodes....basically the good parts.
    And... there are actually a lot of BW episodes that have pissed me off. By this point it'd be easier to just list the ones that I can stand to watch. The more the series progresses, the more the writing of these episodes piss me off.

Now with capital letter Pseudonym's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

It was fine until they decided to overpower Kibago. I think it was right to give Zuruggu some trouble in handling the Focus Blast, because it shows that despite it's progress it's still a baby. Not like Kibago, who, aside from having his Dragon Rage, now has Outrage and Giga Impact. So now, imagine an sparring fight between the two. Hi Jump Kick clashes with Giga Impact and then Kibago uses Dragon Rage and Zuruggu faints. I think it's a little unbalanced there, taking into account that Zuruggu made a thousand more merits, being used in the Donamite and the 7th Gym.
    The path of a pseudo-champion.

SuBuWriMo total: 3588 words.

Super Moderator Hidden Mew's Avatar Forum Head
    Post Thanks / Like

Out of the two, Scraggy's growth is handled pretty decently. It isn't perfect since I think Scraggy should have been a bit stronger before even learning High Jump Kick and spending a couple of episodes working on mastering that attack would have been better than learning it in one episode. That's still better than how Axew has learned its moves and I was generally okay with how it learned High Jump Kick, but I think it could have been handled a bit better all the same. Even so, they seemed to be working more on Scraggy lately, which helps to make its increase in strength more believable.

Axew, on the other hand, has been handled downright horribly. The way it learned to control Dragon Rage was a bit cheap, mainly because there was little done to help get that attack under control other than using it over and over again expecting it would work each time. Still, it was the most basic Dragon type move, so I could kind of swallow it. But the moment they gave Axew Outrage, it was clear that the writers weren't going for any actual development with Axew's growth. There's no way Axew should have been able to learn Outrage so easily when it couldn't even master Dragon Rage in one shot. I don't even understand why they bother overpowering Axew when it rarely battles and when it does battle, it's usually pretty weak. The fact that they haven't made Axew use Outrage a second time makes me wonder if they've even forgotten about that move. And now Axew learned Giga Impact. That annoys me so much since Axew hasn't done anything to actually deserve a move, let alone a really powerful one. At least Scraggy trained and worked on Focus Blast beyond one episode. I can understand not letting Axew evolve due to being a secondary mascot Pokemon, but giving Axew these overpowered moves to compensate for Axew not evolving doesn't really work when both of them are cheap and undeserving deus ex machina to give the illusion that Axew has grown stronger since the start of the series when it really hasn't.
    Last edited by Hidden Mew; 7th July 2012 at 03:30 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Scraggy is coming along nicely. I don't want to touch the Axew topic just yet. I'm waiting for a few Iris fans to get their fill in here first.

The way I see it, Scraggy might get another battle soon. Hopefully evolving in the league. I don't want Axew to evolve when Scraggy does because it had lots of time to evolve but never did. I don't see how it would be fair if Scraggy has been trianing more than Axew and they both evolve together. That just doesn't seem to sit right with me. The understand the whole brothers/friends issue but that won't last forever. So I'm rooting for Scraggy to keep taking down opponents like it's been doing. But I love how much focus it has been getting.

I'll talk about Axew later.

Master of Ghosts......... Gengarzilla's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Follow Gengarzilla on Tumblr Visit Gengarzilla's Youtube Channel

Axew learned Outrage and Giga Impact with no problem at all while Scraggy is struggling with that Focus Blast. I personally think the writers are biased against poor little Scraggy.

Hoping for an evolution or Head Smash soon.
    I have claimed the Spell Tag and Kasib Berry, along with Adaptability and Shadow Ball. I have also claimed Gastly.

If you think Nintendo need to sue PETA up the ass for making Pokemon Black and Blue, copy and paste this into your sig.

Hypnodance FTW!

RONALDO!!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Does it really matter?? Either way, they're gonna evolve and they're gonna take A WHILE to evolve...
    For the last time, BW is NOT a reboot.
    (Copy and paste this to your signature if you agree)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Duque, who said above that Axew feels more like a pet a than battler, made a good point. I can't take Axew all that seriously as a tough opponent. With it's powerful moves, it seems the writers want us to regard Axew as a powerful battler and at the same time have it serve as a cute mascot/marketing whore. I know, preaching to the choir here, but I don't think it's really trained enough to get not one, but two powerful moves, both pulled off flawlessly. It does get to battle every now and then, which is good, but I do wish we could see it train more consistently. Pretty disappointing how we've seen it wanting to evolve but the writers seemingly having no desire to evolve it, but it's better than having another small walking Pokémon that has no desire to evolve.

Scraggy is a really nice baby Pokémon, since we Ash really stick with it and work it up, it has a nice collection of moves but none of them really seem undeserved. Even now, it has a goal to reach with the mastering of Focus Blast. I look forward to seeing it evolve, learn more powerful moves and kick some real ass.
    Last edited by Ambipom666; 11th August 2012 at 06:06 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

In a word "No."

I don't feel like their growths are going well at all. In terms of growth or actual development that can be considered "believable" I'll give that award to Scraggy. I mean the little guy is trying to hard so get stronger and for the most part we can see a lot of growth since it was first hatched in more than just its power but its personality, skill and its relationship with its trainer (ok, that's the only reference I'll make to Ash).

What I found interesting was in the episode when that wild Scrafty takes Axew to help it battle back for its home, (correct me if I'm wrong) it had the same moves as Ash's Scraggy; Leer, Headbutt, Hi Jump Kick and Focus Blast (which Scraggy would learn later on).

So, this could mean that it may not evolve due to its evolution being shown in the same episode along with it knowing the same moves (sadly it lost to a Tepig), I don't know just a thought.

I don't know if the writers will pull of "Snorunt" and let it evolve while it masters a move that it struggling with or what, but like Snorunt (who evolved and then master Ice Beam or Starly evolving and mastering Aerial Ace), the writers will evolve it or not probably based on Axew.

In terms of Axew, I have nothing to say that everyone else has already addressed so to cut it short (without bring up its trainer...) its just a shame.

I mean we learned that Axew is pretty much a "baby" Pokemon still learning basic moves and skills so when Scraggy was introduced that rivarly would be a good way for BOTH of them to grow together despite the fact that Axew is a little older. So, that sibling rivalry could grow as time went on.

Heck, I figured that the two would evolve together or something like that (with Axew having one more than Scraggy though), I got the idea considering Axew always seemed to be "one move ahead" of Scraggy. Like it learned Outrage right before Hi Jump Kick for Scraggy. Focus Blast gave Scraggy an edge, but being not able to control it gave Axew the lead (but Outrage leaves it confused not counting the fact that Scraggy could survive long enough to let those effects kick in), but with Giga Impact on the move-set (along with the fact that recharge time is all but extinct in BW) Axew is winning...

Not to mention the ridiculous endurance it has been shown to have *cough* Garchomp...yeah that's just about all I have to say on the matter.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees4life View Post
    Does it really matter?? Either way, they're gonna evolve and they're gonna take A WHILE to evolve...
    I think that Scraggy is the only one of the two who has even a chance of evolving at this point. I doubt that they'll have Axew evolve even at the end of the series since they seem more interested in making Axew more of the cute secondary mascot with overpowered moves than evolving it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Axew could evolve during Iris' re-appearance in the next series. I wouldn't rule out an end-of-series evolution, though.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ambipom666 View Post
    Axew could evolve during Iris' re-appearance in the next series. I wouldn't rule out an end-of-series evolution, though.
    I'm personally hoping that Iris doesn't have a cameo in the next series since I don't care about what she'll be doing after BW ends, but I know that the chances of the writers breaking that tradition is pretty small. Evolving in her reappearance could be possible, at least more so than Axew evolving in the the actual series, but I'm not sure if they would want to make the cute little secondary mascot Pokemon evolve. They only did that with Togepi and then it was released. I'm not sure if I even want Axew to evolve at all at this point given how it will most likely be cheap and undeserved based on how the writing has been for Iris up to this point.

Post Thanks / Like

Scraggy I don't have any major complaints about, but it's not like they've done a great job or anything.

Axew's been completely wasted.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Follow HumanDawn on Tumblr

@Moe; Moving it to here since it has nothing to do with the episode.

Scraggy who gets left looking weak because Axew gets to jump up a power level at random despite both of them training at a fairly even pace?
    I first have to confirm this - We are talking about the same show right? About the same Axew and Scraggy? Did you by any chance confuse their names? Okay.

Not counting their training matches, Scraggy, who is younger than Axew, has beaten three fully evolved Pokemon (one of which Scraggy OHKO with a Hi-Jump-Kick) and Brycen's(A Gym Leader's!) Vannilish. He has also lasted longer than Excadrill against Montgomery's Throh, while Axew has only beaten a Golett and destroyed Team Rocket's helicopter twice. So..... How is Scraggy looking weaker than Axew again? It comes off as no surprise since Ash is a better trainer than Iris.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast