Do you think the writers are doing enough with Iris? - Page 33

Page 33 of 40 FirstFirst ... 233132333435 ... LastLast
Like Tree1080Likes

Thread: Do you think the writers are doing enough with Iris?

Default Re: Do you think the writers are doing enough with Iris?

I haven't watched Best Wishes in a while, so I can't really speak for how her development has been handled since...around the Battle Club tournament...However, with the revelations of Iris being the new Champion in BW2 as well as her interest in Cynthia with the most recent episode, I would say that the writers are stepping in the right direction.

I was honestly surprised...I don't think anyone expected that Iris would become a champion in the game's continuity...I don't know what that will do for Iris in the anime, but having her take over at Drayden's Gym would be a good start.

Moderator Hidden Mew's Avatar Forum Head

Quote Originally Posted by Afrojisiac-19 View Post
    I was honestly surprised...I don't think anyone expected that Iris would become a champion in the game's continuity...I don't know what that will do for Iris in the anime, but having her take over at Drayden's Gym would be a good start.
    Neither did I. I could have seen her becoming an official Gym Leader, as she was still the apprentice in White, but jumping from there to Elite 4 Champion in just two years sounds ridiculous. Though, I'm trying to avoid any more spoilers about the games, which will probably be kind of hard because this is the Internet and I go onto Pokemon forums all of the time. Anyway, I seriously doubt that this is going to affect Iris in the anime. She isn't that similar to her video game counterpart as it is, so I doubt that this is going to affect anything. Taking over Drayden's Gym really wouldn't make any sense for the anime anyway. Iris still can't get Axew to battle well, let alone evolve it into a Fraxure, and I don't think that she would qualify as a Gym Leader by the end of the series. It would feel extremely forced and pretty undeserving given how she hasn't really progressed in her goal during the course of the series thus far. I don't see why Drayden would entrust the future of his Gym to Iris. I could see her ending up as his apprentice at best, but taking over the Gym would be way too much.

I also don't know why she would want to be the Champion since that would involve getting Gym badges and winning the Unova League, neither of which Iris has shown any interest in doing so in the anime. Besides that, Gary's video game counterpart became a Gym Leader in G/S/C, but that didn't affect him during Johto and before that, he was technically the Elite 4 Champion in the original games as well. The anime has always been a pretty loose adaptation of the video games, so I really can't see something like this affecting Iris's anime counterpart. I wouldn't mind if they eventually had her wear her B2/W2 outfit since that does look a bit cooler than her current outfit.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hidden Mew View Post
    Neither did I. I could have seen her becoming an official Gym Leader, as she was still the apprentice in White, but jumping from there to Elite 4 Champion in just two years sounds ridiculous.
    To be fair, the player is pretty much doing the same thing in just like what, a couple of days?
    And to make it worse, the player also starts as a complete greenhorn, which Iris didn't as she was an apprentice. :P

Haha, just thought it had to be mentioned. (x
    ''A single thread in a tapestry though its color brightly shine, can never see its purpose, in the pattern of the grand design.''

Blog Entries

Follow Aestivate on Tumblr Visit Aestivate's Youtube Channel

While discussion of game!Iris in relation to anime!Iris is completely and utterly valid, please only talk about game!Iris in relation to anime!Iris. Thanks.

I wouldn't say that they would automatically make Iris a champion suddenly during her run on the show just because she becomes the champion in the games. That would indeed be too big of a stretch, and that's unrealistic. The passage of time for her to reach that level would be another issue, but that's another story...

I also wouldn't say that Iris in the anime is a direct adaptation of her game counterpart. However, they both share a similarity with the fact that certain people see a lot of potential in her. It began with Drayden after he beat her in that one tournament, and it came once again right before Cynthia battled her, she had a certain look in her eye regarding Iris. It's become clear to me that they think that she has the ability to become a very great trainer someday.

I like where this is going....I want the writers to focus more on her bringing out the potential in herself, of course with the help of others along the way...Maybe Iris will end up apprenticing under Drayded or Cynthia...who knows?
    Trainer Yusuf likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Afrojisiac-19 View Post
    I also wouldn't say that Iris in the anime is a direct adaptation of her game counterpart. However, they both share a similarity with the fact that certain people see a lot of potential in her. It began with Drayden after he beat her in that one tournament, and it came once again right before Cynthia battled her, she had a certain look in her eye regarding Iris. It's become clear to me that they think that she has the ability to become a very great trainer someday.

I like where this is going....I want the writers to focus more on her bringing out the potential in herself, of course with the help of others along the way...Maybe Iris will end up apprenticing under Drayded or Cynthia...who knows?
    Considering how inactive Iris is most of the time and whenever she does battle, the writers tend to glorify her skills, despite not doing much, if any training, I think it's kind of weird that people like Drayden and possibly even Cynthia see a lot of potential in her. Personally, I think it's far too late for the writers to focus more on Iris bringing out her potential. That's something they should have been working from the start of the series and not because her video game counterpart is the Champion in the new video games or they just want her to have all of the battle skills that could make her a great trainer without actually having her work on it. It just feels lazy for them to not do much of anything with Iris in the first season and if they do more in this season, then it's really going to feel too little, too late for me. I could see Iris becoming Drayden's apprentice, but really not Cynthia. Despite using her Garchomp so often, she isn't a trainer who specializes in Dragon types and Drayden is more connected to Iris than Cynthia, although I don't know how much at this point. Besides that, training under an Elite 4 Champion would be a huge stretch. I don't even know if Iris training under Drayden would be believable at this point when she hasn't been that interested in training during the series, so I don't see how that's going to change after she leaves at this point.

Blog Entries

This wasn't about the episode, so I'm responding here.

Quote Originally Posted by Gym Leader Byron View Post
    Let's completely ignore the whole Ice-type fear development
    What development? She's always been shown to be cool with Ice-Type Pokémon whom she knew were no threat to her, as Kumashun. It's not like she learned not to judge a book by its cover, because it's never something that she did.

understanding Dragon's hearts deal, back story
    Apparantly, she already knew how to read the hearts of Dragons and knew everything about Dragon Pokémon, so why is she on this journey?

as well as rivalry development
    What development? Neither has changed position or nuanced their outlook through this, neither has been changed by the rivalry, neither has learned anything or grown from it. Langley still wants to bust dragons, Iris still wants to be a Dragon Master despite never doing anything related to it. Langley's opinion doesn't affect her and Iris' opinion doesn't affect Iris. Both are exactly the same as if they had never been rivals.

the training Kibago has had
    The one that bears no fruit but that never matters cause Kibago magically learns moves and perfectly masters them out of thin air despite not being used in about a year.

as well as Doryuuzu's obedience story line
    The one where child prodigy Iris' only fault was not counting prescience in her long list of special abilities and not foresee that after 99 wins, there might be something wrong with Doryuuzu's battling style? The one that got resolved by Doryuuzu realizing that he had been unfair to Iris and that she really only wanted to be its friend even though she had never given him any reason to think otherwise? The one that saw no change whatsoever in Iris?

Again, she's on a journey to learn and grow according to the Village Elder, to get better, but there's never anything she needs to learn, never any reason for her to get better, never any struggle, or anything remotely resembling a flaw as far as Iris is concerned. Most of the time, she looks bored and uninterested in the journey itself. We're 85 episodes in, and I'm still looking for something that justifies Iris' existence on the show beyond token female and Satoshi needs someone to talk to, the latter part being overwhelmingly mishandled so far to boot.

Blog Entries

Iris is the champion in BW2?

Hahahaha!

It all makes sense now! No wonder she's so good with little to no development! She's the Takuto of BW, travelling with Ash.

Blog Entries

Follow Yato on Tumblr

Meh...... Well, I guess if they're planning to reveal her as the new champion, then her being so strong with such little training would be explainable. But then I'm wondering how they're actually going to introduce Iris as the Champion since Alder is still the Champion of Unova.

Quote Originally Posted by Form11ess 5hot View Post
    Meh...... Well, I guess if they're planning to reveal her as the new champion, then her being so strong with such little training would be explainable. But then I'm wondering how they're actually going to introduce Iris as the Champion since Alder is still the Champion of Unova.
    That wouldn't really make her strength believable or understandable. It would just be bad/inconsistent writing, especially when Iris clearly wasn't that good of a trainer at the start of the series and the writers made her stronger than she honestly should be by around the time Axew learned Dragon Rage. Considering that Axew still can't really battle that well, it would also make the idea that she's the new Champion in the anime pretty ridiculous. It really wouldn't make any sense for Iris to be the new Champion in the anime not only because Alder is still the Champion, but because Iris would have to win the Unova League and the Champion League in order to become the new Champion of the Unova Elite 4. She has shown no interest in Gym battles or the Unova League and her team, as it is right now, just isn't anywhere near good enough for her to become a successful trainer like that. Just because she's a Champion in the new games doesn't mean that it will affect the anime version of Iris. Gary's video game counterpart became a Gym Leader in G/S/C and that didn't affect Gary in the slightest during Johto. I imagine that it will be the same for Iris. Plus, Iris becomes the Champion during the two year time-skip and the anime definitely isn't going to do a time-skip.

Dude, they ARE the WRITERS, THEY can make Kibago evolve twice in 5 minutes and Iris catch a Dragonite, Garchomp, Hydreigon, Flygon and Lapras in a SINGLE EPISODE. All of them learns Draco Meteor in 3 minutes and beat Alder 6-0.
    (You can ignore this post, but I feel that they actually have the power to make these happen)

Best squid ever Bouffalant Herdier's Avatar Forum Head
    Blog Entries
    Follow Bouffalant Herdier On Twitter
    Visit Bouffalant Herdier's Youtube Channel

So, Iris enthusiastically cheered for Ash during his battle against Roxie. I suppose this is to prove how much she respects him now compared to the beginning of the series, but I'm not convinced at all. I bet my bottom dollar she'll be back to complaining about him and Cilan before long; it's not as if the writers seem to think there's any problem with the way she has spoke to them in the past. Even in the during the Roxie battle, she made a backhanded compliment about Ash's strategies.

And why does Ash have to earn her respect, anyway? Who the hell does she think she is? Isn't she supposed to be his friend, why couldn't she have been more supportive of him in the first place, like all his other friends are/were? I've seen her story and relationship with Ash a million times before with countless other "Tsundere" characters, (Ugh, I hate describing her as a Tsundere, I really, really do) and the progress has been exactly as predictable and uninteresting as I thought it would be from the very start. I'm not going to feel glad for Iris when she fully acknowledges Ash's skill, instead I'll want to laugh at her for taking three years to discover what the viewers knew all along, and then she'll probably be on her way, never to be on the main cast ever again.

At this point, I'm counting down the days now until her inevitable exit; far too much water (oceans) has gone under the bridge.

Who is this git?

RONALDO!!
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mareepy View Post
    Dude, they ARE the WRITERS, THEY can make Kibago evolve twice in 5 minutes and Iris catch a Dragonite, Garchomp, Hydreigon, Flygon and Lapras in a SINGLE EPISODE. All of them learns Draco Meteor in 3 minutes and beat Alder 6-0.
    (You can ignore this post, but I feel that they actually have the power to make these happen)
    I agree, these guys are crazy enough to do the above things you just mentioned...
    Mjolnir likes this.
    For the last time, BW is NOT a reboot.
    (Copy and paste this to your signature if you agree)

Quote Originally Posted by Mareepy View Post
    First off, I'm a girl. While the writers are capable of doing something like that, it would be beyond horrible. Not to mention it wouldn't make a lick of sense for Iris to that overpowered. Plus, Axew evolving like that would be meaningless, although at this point, I don't think I even want Axew to evolve just because I don't think Iris deserves to have a Fraxure. She really can't become the new Champion because of how she would have to win the Unova League and all of the other members of the Elite 4 in order to do so. Defeating Alder in an unofficial match wouldn't change anything, but it would be incredibly cheap for Iris to have all of those Pokemon when she's been so inactive. I'm still hoping that she doesn't get that Dragonite since she really doesn't deserve a fully evolved Dragon Pokemon.
    Bouffalant Herdier likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Hidden Mew View Post
    First off, I'm a girl. While the writers are capable of doing something like that, it would be beyond horrible. Not to mention it wouldn't make a lick of sense for Iris to that overpowered. Plus, Axew evolving like that would be meaningless, although at this point, I don't think I even want Axew to evolve just because I don't think Iris deserves to have a Fraxure. She really can't become the new Champion because of how she would have to win the Unova League and all of the other members of the Elite 4 in order to do so. Defeating Alder in an unofficial match wouldn't change anything, but it would be incredibly cheap for Iris to have all of those Pokemon when she's been so inactive. I'm still hoping that she doesn't get that Dragonite since she really doesn't deserve a fully evolved Dragon Pokemon.
    I never thought someone can't feel the amount of sarcasm in that post -_-

Page 33 of 40 FirstFirst ... 233132333435 ... LastLast