Do you think the writers are doing enough with Iris? - Page 26

Page 26 of 40 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast
Like Tree1080Likes

Thread: Do you think the writers are doing enough with Iris?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Do you think the writers are doing enough with Iris?

As I said on the capture thread, the fact that there is a Kibago figure coming out in August decreased my hopes of Kibago evolving for Iris to have an actual dragon to fight Shaga around that point... Unless of course I am whining for no good reason(definately) or they want to lag Shaga battle a bit further(really unlikely unless a subplot comes up). Though hopefully that will end up as a plot point like Iteru said.

...So, why there isn't a Madoka reference in this thread, even though we are into 25 pages already?
    Quote Originally Posted by Hellwarden View Post
    So....everyone is happy that a "Deux Ex Machina" is being taken down with another Deux Ex Machina....
    Quote Originally Posted by Iteru
    You know, it would be hilarious if Harley did get a sex change and became Langley.
    Youtube account, DA account, SerebiiForums account, Tinypic account, Imageshack account, Photobucket account,Smogon account, Blog, Pokémon Series Analysis Dropbox Folder, PO/PS Username: Yusuf Kaya 3.0

Princess of Sinnoh martianmister's Avatar

Kibago is already getting enough screentime from his "mascot" status, and Emonga hardly gets any.

Also, I still think Kibago will not evolve. Kibago's evolution is resolution for Iris' goal, which can't happen in this show.
    1. Satoshi/Ash Ketchum: 801 episodes
    2. Team Rocket: 736 episodes
    3. Takeshi/Brock: 633 episodes
    4. Kasumi/Misty: 282 episodes
    5. Hikari/Dawn: 201 episodes
    6. Haruka/May: 197 episodes
    7. Masato/Max: 192 episodes
    8. Iris: 141 episodes
    9. Dent/Cilan: 138 episodes
    10. Kenji/Tracey: 44 episodes

Blog Entries

Georgia asked Iris in the recent episode how long before she gets to battle a proper "Dragon Master Iris", and Iris said that she really wants to become a proper Dragon Master too...

Who is she training next episode? Emolga. Hilarious stuff.

RWB

That... is just hilarious.

Iris: "I really wanna be a dragon master, but it's hard!"

*trains other pokemon*

Georgia:

Quote Originally Posted by Zidane View Post
    Georgia asked Iris in the recent episode how long before she gets to battle a proper "Dragon Master Iris", and Iris said that she really wants to become a proper Dragon Master too...

Who is she training next episode? Emolga. Hilarious stuff.
    Again, it's the same problem:

Quote Originally Posted by martianmister View Post
    There is a problem with Iris' goal: Iris and Langley have different ideas and definitions for being a "Dragon Master".

Langley thinks Iris should use dragon-types to be a real dragon master.
    Iris thinks capturing and using non-dragon types (also?) like Choroneko would help her to be a dragon master.

That's the most problematic part of their rivalry. Iris will not avoid herself from using her first and most powerful pokemon (Doryuzu), and Langley will not give up her obsession with dragon-types.
    Also, I'm interested about one thing: what do you think about Emonga's career? If Iris doesn't train or care about her, what's the point of her capture?

Blog Entries

Also, I'm interested about one thing: what do you think about Emonga's career? If Iris doesn't train or care about her, what's the point of her capture?
    There's no point, because ultimately, there's no point to Iris' character as a whole; she's there to be there cause there needs to be a female character on the cast, but without a real story, a real reson to be there, a real role to play, a real connection with the rest of the characters or the overall story. Emonga is there to be a sellable pokémon and overall be just as hollow as her trainer.

At this point, it feels like almost every other character is moving towards something, so I've just given up on anything happening with Iris.

Registered User Trainer Gabriel's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Except Iris has done little to nothing to help Axew evolve, let alone grow stronger. Axew needs to do more than just train with Scraggy every now and then to show some signs of growth; he needs to actually participate in battles.

Therein lies the problem with Iris' character.

personally i think iris has been a good character throughout the best wishes series so far. she has shown herself to be pretty strong as well
    Pokemon is good and the Sky is the limit, all the more reason to like flying type pokemon. i like all types but flying type mostly

My Elite 6 Pokemon: Gliscor, Latias, Sableye, Probopass, Lilligant and Primape

Blog Entries

Follow Madame Pika on Tumblr

To look cute and make girls want to buy Emonga plushies. They even made her obedient just so that she could have a more generic personality and fit this purpoise.

I'd like to give a more in show reason but in honesty, is there one? She could have one where the writing better: being there so that Iris's Kabago could have a sparing partner would be an obvious one but there's no signs of that or anything else.
    Last edited by Madame Pika; 7th April 2012 at 04:19 AM. Reason: grammer mistakes though there probably still are a few

If Iris thinks training Emonga and Doryuuzu is part of her goal, I can't see any problem with her using them more. Kibago is already hogged most of Iris' screentime.

Quote Originally Posted by Hellion View Post
    Emonga is there to be a sellable pokémon and overall be just as hollow as her trainer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Madame Pika View Post
    To look cute and make girls want to buy Emonga plushies. They even made her obedient just so that she could have a more generic personality and fit this purpoise.
    Sorry but I don't get it. Iris shouldn't train Emonga because...because she should be an useless toy ad? And isn't "sellable" pokemons get most of screentime?
    Last edited by martianmister; 7th April 2012 at 01:24 PM.

Blog Entries

Iris shouldn't train Emonga
    I never said that, you asked what was the point behing Emonga's capture if Iris doesn't train or do anything with Emonga. There is none. Emonga isn't helping Iris with her goal, the challenge posed by Emonga was dropped and in the grand scheme of things, Emonga was given to Iris solely because it was a cute sellable Pokémon and she needed three Pokémon for the Don Battle. I have no problem with Iris training Emonga, other than she should be training Kibago instead and working towards her goal. There's nothing there much like there's really nothing going on with Iris. Both characters are pretty much just there to be there.

Ideally, there should be more, they should have strong storylines and be interesting. They don't. Oh well... *indifferent shrug*

Quote Originally Posted by Hellion View Post
    Emonga isn't helping Iris with her goal...she should be training Kibago instead and working towards her goal.
    And training Emonga is not helping Iris with her goal, because? I already said, from Iris' point of view, you can use non-Dragon types to be a "Dragon Master".
    Bubble Frog likes this.

Blog Entries

And training Emonga is not helping Iris with her goal, because? I already said, from Iris' point of view, you can use non-Dragon types to be a "Dragon Master".
    I remember that line (with the Choroneko right?) and while it seems to be the case, I do really question what the writers were going for with that. We haven't actually seen it be referenced since and quite frankly I can't see how they'd be able to explain that. All I can think of is Iris using Emonga as a training partner for Kibago, but then she might as well just normally battle with it or use Doryuzu, who she's already got, for that purpose.

Honestly I think it was a bad excuse from the writers for her to capture it. I think Emonga serves other purposes (comedy, merchandising) but I don't really see how it helps her to be a Dragon Master.
    Shinneth and Hidden Mew like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Iteru View Post
    We haven't actually seen it be referenced since and quite frankly I can't see how they'd be able to explain that.
    She also interested in capturing Mijumaru and Pokabu. Also, it was Doryuuzu (a non-Dragon type) who impressed Shaga and old woman in the village.
    Bubble Frog likes this.

Blog Entries

you can use non-Dragon types to be a "Dragon Master".
    1- It was stated that the reason she's on a journey is to raise and evolve Kibago
    2- It was stated in BW027 that Dragon Masters are very strong trainers that can synch with Dragon-type pokémon to make them stronger.
    3- The one Dragon Master we know of uses dragons.
    4- Langley paints a portrait of Dragon Master as Dragon users.

Iris, when she was a kid, befriended wild Pokémon regardless of type, that's how she got Doryuuzu. Befriending Pokémon of other types is a character trait rather than linked to her Dragon Master goal. One line in one episode doesn't invalidate everything else that was said regarding Dragon Masters.

Page 26 of 40 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast