Do you think the writers are doing enough with Iris? - Page 22

Page 22 of 40 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast
Like Tree1080Likes

Thread: Do you think the writers are doing enough with Iris?

I! AM NOT! A MORON! Sith Droideka's Avatar

Default Re: Do you think the writers are doing enough with Iris?

It's fanfic like, but no one ever said all fanfic is bad. It's better than Iris' current writing at least, but than again that's not hard to do.
    ALL Pokémon Are EQUAL, But SOME Pokémon Are MORE EQUAL Than Others

Oceania is at war with Eurasia Eastasia Eurasia Eastasia, and has always been at war with them!

WAR IS PEACE. FREEDOM IS SLAVERY. IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH. GOD IS POWER.

Next PolySci/Econ Test: November 8, 2016; Your crash-course will begin January 2013.

Galvantula ≥ Kyurem > Mewtwo > Arceus

Iris went from being a character I couldn't wait to find out more about, to being a character where I'm just like "Iris, if you don't sit your ass down already." I have no problem with the girl, I actually quite like her personality at times. I also think her team has a lot of potential, I just wish there was some realism. I appreciate her interactions with Ash and Cilan at times definitely, but I just wish Iris was....you know...not perfect, but had more substance. I wouldn't says she's horrible though, she's still on a likeable basis.

For me, I think there's something positive to take from each main character, but negative as well. They all have their pros and cons, but since we are currently in Best Wishes, I'm hoping her cons get fixed pretty soon, to help spare the season. Great animation and Bianca aren't the only things that can make it better.
    Caseydia likes this.

But Iris is not perfect, we've seen that. But the writers have alot they could do for her. She has a rival, so there is one thing, she liked to catch pokemon before but for some reason, she stopped the trend, not to mention her Pokemon haven't been shown too well in good episodes. And when I mean good, I mean battling. Other than the Don battle, I hope they can do more for her and her Pokemon.
    Last edited by Caseydia; 19th January 2012 at 10:21 AM.

Blog Entries

I know i've been over this already, but i just don't like Iris, i just have to keep saying it. And the worse thing of it is, she had much potential, she's athletic, she likes dragons and she appeals to both the female and "black" audience (forgive me if that sounded racist). But i just can't get over that "Little kid" attitude of her's, i just don't think Ash should have to take that from her!
    Caseydia likes this.

Suddenly I feel that Iris is being the back burner now that this series is moving fourth. Maybe it's because of her lack of episodes that is devoted to her. Or the lack of her Pokemon usage. There is alot more that can be done for Iris. But I'm not seeing it right now.

Registered User The Fighting Misty's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The only reason people feel she's not getting enough screentime is she followed directly after Dawn, who got tremendous screentime.

If Iris came directly after Misty instead, I doubt people would notice a difference. We're just used to more elevated roles for the female protagonists over the last 8 years.

Moderator Hidden Mew's Avatar Forum Head

Quote Originally Posted by Gliscor'd View Post
    The only reason people feel she's not getting enough screentime is she followed directly after Dawn, who got tremendous screentime.

If Iris came directly after Misty instead, I doubt people would notice a difference. We're just used to more elevated roles for the female protagonists over the last 8 years.
    While the amount of screentime Dawn did probably is a factor in that regard, I don't think that's the only reason. Iris clearly isn't doing as much as any of the other female characters, including Misty. Even if she had appeared directly after Misty, with the same amount of screentime and the same terrible writing, I think that there would still be a difference. At least the writers didn't try to make Misty look like a stronger trainer than she actual was like they have done with Iris at this point. I'm pretty indifferent towards Misty, but she did have flaws and was called out on at least some of those flaws. That hasn't happened with Iris. For a sidekick role, Iris has a decent amount of screentime, at best, but the writers aren't doing that much with that screentime to make her a more interesting/likable/developed character. I think that's the main problem rather than how much screentime she gets. A character could get a lot or little screentime, but that wouldn't matter if nothing was accomplished during that time to make them a better character in some fashion.

Blog Entries

If Iris came directly after Misty instead, I doubt people would notice a difference.
    I don't know about you, but I'd still feel the same. For a trainer whose goal requires active battling...she rarely does anything at all. In over 65 episodes, she's battled like 5-6 times? Not only that, but she just may as well be a regular trainer. Most of her accomplishments come from Excadrill anyway. Based on how little she battles, and contributes in general...I certainty hope they don't expect us to believe she'll be on Ash's or Drayden's level by the time they reach the final badge.

We're suppose to be rooting for this character, but the writers haven't written her in a way that makes me want to see her succeed.
    Last edited by Masurao; 30th January 2012 at 10:10 AM.

Blog Entries

The complaints about Iris now are very similar to the complaints of the Johto portion of Misty's character or DP era Brock.

The writers always tend to ignore a character rather than giving them proper development. I only think Iris has more potential because she's still new, and the writers hadn't given up on her like others.

Moderator Hidden Mew's Avatar Forum Head

The complaints about Iris now are very similar to the complaints of the Johto portion of Misty's character or DP era Brock.

The writers always tend to ignore a character rather than giving them proper development. I only think Iris has more potential because she's still new, and the writers hadn't given up on her like others.
    I honestly don't see much of a connection between the complaints about Iris and the complaints about Misty during Johto or Brock during DP. The only similarity between those complaints is just the lack of screentime they had, but that's certainly not enough to say that that they're very similar to each other, especially when I don't think that there are that many people complaining about the amount of screentime Iris gets compared to Misty and Brock. Besides that, I don't remember people complaining about how the writers were making Misty and Brock stronger trainers than they actually were like they're doing with Iris now. The bulk of the complaints about Iris are about the terrible writing around her character, her Pokemon and her overall goal. Misty's goal wasn't handle that well at all, but at least they didn't make her a complete Water Pokemon expert from the start of the series like they're doing with Iris with Dragon Pokemon in BW. Brock needed more screentime in DP, but he was still likable in my opinion and still had positive interactions with Ash and Dawn that made it clear that they were good friends, although they could have worked more on his interactions with Dawn, which is a lot more than I can say about Iris and her interactions with Ash and Cilan.

Personally, I think that the writers have already given up on Iris. They're clearly not doing much with her during this series and the fact that they've rushed through all of her problems, aside from Axew evolving of course, shows that they aren't that interested in what potential her character did have. Plus, she does seem to even less active than Misty was during her run of the series, so that doesn't make me think that the writers have given up on her. At this point, I think that all of the potential that she did have to be an interesting and likable character is pretty much gone. The writers would have to do an amazing job to even get me to like her again or to make me root for her to reach her goal. Even if they did something like that, and the chances of the writers suddenly putting effort into Iris's character are slim to none, it would kind of feel too little, too late for me since they should have put in that kind of effort from the start to make her a better and more likable character. The fact that she's still a new character compared to Misty and Brock doesn't change how poorly the writers have handled her character. If the writers were honestly more interested in her character, she would have shown some sign of development by this point, but instead, she's basically the same as she was at the start of the series.

Princess of Sinnoh martianmister's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zidane View Post
    I don't know about you, but I'd still feel the same. For a trainer whose goal requires active battling...she rarely does anything at all.
    Maybe her "goal" isn't really requires that much active battling? Maybe it's something like a dragon-type pokemon breeder and she just needs to evolve Kibago?
    1. Satoshi/Ash Ketchum: 801 episodes
    2. Team Rocket: 736 episodes
    3. Takeshi/Brock: 633 episodes
    4. Kasumi/Misty: 282 episodes
    5. Hikari/Dawn: 201 episodes
    6. Haruka/May: 197 episodes
    7. Masato/Max: 192 episodes
    8. Iris: 141 episodes
    9. Dent/Cilan: 138 episodes
    10. Kenji/Tracey: 44 episodes

Best squid ever Bouffalant Herdier's Avatar Forum Head
    Blog Entries
    Follow Bouffalant Herdier On Twitter
    Visit Bouffalant Herdier's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by martianmister View Post
    Maybe her "goal" isn't really requires that much active battling? Maybe it's something like a dragon-type pokemon breeder and she just needs to evolve Kibago?
    But Iris' goal is to evolve her Axew into a Haxorus, which would (and indeed should) only happen once it has earned a great deal of battle experience. If Axew suddenly evolved even once when he has only occasionally battled Ash's equally weak Scraggy, it won't be a believable achievement for Iris at all.

Who is this git?

Huh? You can still have any kind of goal you want and still do more to improve it. I don't think Iris's goal is any more better than Cilan's. So why isn't she being shown more of her potential? I don't think it's fair to blow her strength up at everyone and have on the show if she's too good to do anything. But because she is as strong as she is, she should be doing more than Cilan and Ash all together. It would have made sense to keep her as the surprised eigth gymleader so that it seems more believable. I don't want us to get to the gym and then they say that Iris is the one who is the leader. That would seem like it waisted alot of time when she could have been doing more to reach that point. She knows, Ash is going to try and challenge the eigth gym leader sooner or later, so she should be preparing for that if she will the gymleader.
    Last edited by Caseydia; 6th February 2012 at 05:32 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Zidane View Post
    I don't know about you, but I'd still feel the same. For a trainer whose goal requires active battling...she rarely does anything at all. In over 65 episodes, she's battled like 5-6 times? Not only that, but she just may as well be a regular trainer. Most of her accomplishments come from Excadrill anyway. Based on how little she battles, and contributes in general...I certainty hope they don't expect us to believe she'll be on Ash's or Drayden's level by the time they reach the final badge.

We're suppose to be rooting for this character, but the writers haven't written her in a way that makes me want to see her succeed.
    And yet with Misty after Kanto it was the same.

I repeat: The only reason Iris' screentime seems off is that she came directly after Dawn. People now expect the female protagonist to "do something," and the fact that she isn't has people very confused.

Yes she could get more screentime in general, but coming off of DP especially made it feel that way. I remember people saying how Iris only got 1 minute of screentime in the first BW episode while Dawn literally had the entire first ep of DP...the comparisons were made notable.

Blog Entries

And yet with Misty after Kanto it was the same.

I repeat: The only reason Iris' screentime seems off is that she came directly after Dawn. People now expect the female protagonist to "do something," and the fact that she isn't has people very confused.
    That's not the real problem with Iris though. Her portrayal in her screen-time is the issue. At least Misty wasn't glorified every time she got screen-time. It still felt she had a long way to go. Whereas with Iris, she rarely battles at all, is somehow on par with Ash, and accomplishes everything with her Excadrill/Emonga. The latter two aren't even Dragons. What was the point of even making Drilbur/Excadrill her stater...and not an actual Dragon type? It just seems they are fumbling sloppily all over the place with her character.

Expecting us to feel sorry/root for her in episodes like the Deino, when she acts like an a-hole from time to time, while being given everything on a silver platter is counter-productive to her development.
    Last edited by Masurao; 31st January 2012 at 01:41 AM.

Page 22 of 40 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast