Do you think the writers are doing enough with Iris? - Page 12

Page 12 of 40 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
Like Tree1080Likes

Thread: Do you think the writers are doing enough with Iris?

Default Re: Do you think the writers are doing enough with Iris?

I dislike Iris. Very much. "Your such a kid" is the most annoying catchphrase ever and she isn't achieving anything but really putting down Ash. What happened to the Ash I knew before? The one who knew how to battle?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pokemonada View Post
    I dislike Iris. Very much. "Your such a kid" is the most annoying catchphrase ever and she isn't achieving anything but really putting down Ash. What happened to the Ash I knew before? The one who knew how to battle?
    She calls everyone a "kid" nowdays. Ash, Cilan, Bianca, Georgia, Luke, and Trip. She hasn't called Ash one in about 8 episodes, though she started calling Cilan one. I swear the episode where she cries, when coming to the realization that she's the kid can't come soon enough.
    Bouffalant Herdier and Duque like this.

I! AM NOT! A MORON! Sith Droideka's Avatar

Actually, that would partially redeem Iris in my eyes. If she had an episode where she realizes that she's the immature kid, and nearly runs away after her realization and after Ash snaps at her after taking her abuse for so long. And then never uses that phrase, but someone using it on her makes her feel like crap or something.

But then that would lead to angst and angst breeds fangirls/boys and fangirls/boys lead to the Dark Side and whatever else Yoda was talking about, so maybe that's a bad idea.
    Pokemonada and Trainer Yusuf like this.
    ALL Pokémon Are EQUAL, But SOME Pokémon Are MORE EQUAL Than Others

Oceania is at war with Eurasia Eastasia Eurasia Eastasia, and has always been at war with them!

WAR IS PEACE. FREEDOM IS SLAVERY. IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH. GOD IS POWER.

Next PolySci/Econ Test: November 8, 2016; Your crash-course will begin January 2013.

Galvantula ≥ Kyurem > Mewtwo > Arceus

^^^But why does Ash have to be the one to chastise her?? After all this time of Iris calling Ash a kid, having him react bitterly to her now after all this time wouldn't make sense...He hasn't been bothered to give it any kind of response, so it would have to be something big enough to disrespect Ash's character or discredit his ability as a trainer IMO...and honestly, even with the repetitive usage of her "you're such a kid" catchphrase (which isn't even used exclusively for Ash) it seems to me that Iris isn't really dead-set on trying to make herself look better than Ash by comparison...but that's just me...

If anyone is to knock down Iris from her "pedestal" I just don't think it should be Ash...It should be someone related to Dragons, something that will help Iris develop, fight, struggle, learn...etc...Ash IMO should play the role as the supportive safety net for Iris from the one who will supposedly "teach her a lesson".

Blog Entries

Iris supposedly already got knocked off her "pedestal" when she lost to Drayden. She also mentioned to Langley that winning the tournament didn't make her overconfident. Now, how long that last remains to be seen. It still really hasn't stopped the "kid" stuff she targeting towards people.

However, I do not know why the writers are treating Iris with so much favoritism when compared to Ash, who is the MAIN CHARACTER. Cilan hasn't really overshadowed him. There's no reason Iris should too. She's merely a sidekick. Unless that just has to an aspect of their relationship for w/e lame reasoning.

The way they are handling her does not work for a traveling companion.
    Last edited by Masurao; 24th October 2011 at 05:02 PM.

There's just this thing that irks me off whenever I see Iris. It's like she's trying to copy Misty by being Master. She will probably fail and instead, tend the gym in the end I guess.

Blog Entries

Follow Bubble Frog on Tumblr

Iris got those 99 wins off of wild Pokemon and trainers in her isolated village *_* Christ.......

Iris isn't some hick off the streets, she knows what she's doing. She trained herself as a child, and is a wild child herself. She started raising Drilbur as a young Pokemon, and plus I think all those years Excadrill wasn't listening made him a bit soft. Plus there's no freaking telling how many people Cilan has beaten off screen. Cilan was beaten to move the storyline and add him to the group that was it. There was no way in hell Pansage the Pansage we've seen thus far and seen battled thus far should have been subdued by a newly gotten starter Pokemon with no training, but it was written for the sake of the story. Iris met Drayden as a young girl, as well as trained hard. It's not the idea HER EXCADRILL could beat ASH'S PIKACHU isn't too far'fetch'd at all and honestly I couldn't give a ratass Iris won fair and square, and Ash pulling another asshole undeserved victory would have been even more jarring as hell then his team so far. I could seen him winning with Sni or Palpi but, he used Pikachu and lost.

Quote Originally Posted by Pokemonada View Post
    There's just this thing that irks me off whenever I see Iris. It's like she's trying to copy Misty by being Master. She will probably fail and instead, tend the gym in the end I guess.
    No she's not. What would you have her do, Contest again? Please, let us have a break on that. It's good to know that there are other trainers who want to be masters in their own way.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gotpika View Post
    Iris isn't some hick off the streets, she knows what she's doing.
    So does Trip, Cilan, Langley, Stephen, Ash, and several other trainers on this show. Yet you don't see them getting the same kind of excessive hype that Iris is getting now do you? No.

Plus there's no freaking telling how many people Cilan has beaten off screen.
    Get back to me when Cilan has said to have been undefeated in the past, with an excessive amount of wins. K?

As well as trained hard.
    Excadrill? Yes. Emonga, and Axew..not really. Again just because she trained "hard" is not an excuse for why the writers are worshiping the ground Iris walks on, while expecting us to feel happy for her when she is just given things on a silver platter.
    Last edited by Masurao; 24th October 2011 at 05:56 PM.

Moderator Hidden Mew's Avatar Forum Head

Quote Originally Posted by Caseydia View Post
    No she's not. What would you have her do, Contest again? Please, let us have a break on that. It's good to know that there are other trainers who want to be masters in their own way.
    I honestly would have preferred seeing another Contest arc over whatever they're doing with Iris. That obviously couldn't have happened due to Contests not being in the actual video games, but I would have been up for a third Contest arc. Though, it would probably work better if it was with Hilda instead of Iris due to her Gym Leader role. I never had a problem with the idea of a third Contest arc considering this is Ash's fifth Gym badge quest. Besides that, it would have been a better way to show off a character's development/growth in strength and it would serve as a nice breather from Ash's Gym battles. I don't think that Iris' goal to be a Dragon Master is like either Misty's goal or Ash's. It sounds more like she just needs to have some kind of emotional connection to Dragon Pokemon, or perhaps just Axew and evolve it. She doesn't have to win a lot of battles or go through tournaments like Ash and Misty would have to in order to achieve their goals. I kind of wish that they could make Iris actually struggle and work for that goal instead of handing everything over to her, which still makes me think that the writers need to put their main characters in battle active goals like Contests and Gyms in order to develop them. Even then they still make mistakes, but at least characters like May and Dawn who were in more battle active goals were more consistent with their development and writing than Iris has been.

Blog Entries

Follow Bubble Frog on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Zidane View Post
    So does Trip, Cilan, Langley, Stephen, Ash, and several other trainers on this show. Yet you don't see them getting the same kind of excessive hype that Iris is getting now do you? No.
    Hype???????? She was barely doing anything before at all. I see a crap load of hype behind Cilan,

Get back to me when Cilan has said to have been undefeated in the past, with an excessive amount of wins. K?
    Undefeated with Excadrill, not undefeated everything. Hell, they were most battling wild Pokemon anyway, plus Drilbur was a bully and strong.
    Excadrill? Yes. Emonga, and Axew..not really. Again just because she trained "hard" is not an excuse for why the writers are worshiping the ground Iris walks on, while expecting us to feel happy for her when she is just given things on a silver platter.
    [/QUOTE]The writers aren't worshipping the ground Iris walks on, heck winning the Don Battle Tournament, and Georgia showing up are the best things that have happened for her character thus far anyway. That's not saying much, considering she got the middle finger at the beginning of the series.

Moderator Hidden Mew's Avatar Forum Head

Hype???????? She was barely doing anything before at all. I see a crap load of hype behind Cilan,
    I think that Zidane was talking about the hype Iris is getting in the series as being from the Village of Dragons, thus automatically being more special just because she comes from there, and winning so many battles in a row and not the hype people on forums have.

Quote Originally Posted by gotpika
    Undefeated with Excadrill, not undefeated everything. Hell, they were most battling wild Pokemon anyway, plus Drilbur was a bully and strong.
    Even Cilan hasn't been undefeated in everything since he lost a couple of battles in the series. Even with most of the battles being against wild Pokemon, it still makes it really hard to swallow the idea that Iris could have defeated that many Pokemon in a row and was that strong before she officially became a trainer. Not to mention it completely contradicts with her behavior for the first part of the series.

Quote Originally Posted by gotpika
    The writers aren't worshipping the ground Iris walks on, heck winning the Don Battle Tournament, and Georgia showing up are the best things that have happened for her character thus far anyway. That's not saying much, considering she got the middle finger at the beginning of the series.
    They may not be worshipping the ground she walks on, but the writers clearly seem to favor Iris with just handing her solutions to her problems without any real effort, giving her a backstory that makes her look like a child prodigy, despite how that makes no sense with how she was depicted at the beginning of the series, and overpowering Axew without much of any training to make it believable. The fact that she really didn't get much attention at the beginning of the series is a major part of her problem as well. The writers can't go from having a character being completely inactive and pretty useless to the plot as a whole into saying that said character is now a super special awesome trainer with enough skills and training experience to be a great trainer. It's just jarring, terribly inconsistent with her character and just overall bad writing.

Blog Entries

There's no reason for Iris to be protrayed as superior to both Ash, and Dento. The writers are clearly favoring her over anyone in the group right now. Cilan lost in the Don Battle, and he's not written out to be some super special trainer. Ash, the main goddamn character, lost in the Don Battle....because why?

They probably knew Iris had no business winning the whole damn shebang, so they gave him the biggest disadvantage ever. They put Pikachu against a type it's never been able to beat before if Pikachu's miserable failures against past Steelix are any indication. Ash is all over the place, but in this series he's clearly not written to be super special either. So why is Iris, a sidekick, so special? Why are they giving her so many perks, plot conveniences, and hype? What the hell are they doing?

As I said, so far when the writers want someone to lose Ash or to a lesser extent Cilan are usually the pick, as was the case with the Don Battle. They lost, while she won. Yet we're suppose to feel elated for her? You're doing it wrong writers. The same can be said about the Subway Masters episode. Ash, and Cilan battled....and lost. What was Iris doing? Sitting pretty on the sidelines.

Being totally honest here, I really want to like Iris character...but the writers are making that impossible.
    Last edited by Masurao; 25th October 2011 at 06:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hidden Mew View Post
    I honestly would have preferred seeing another Contest arc over whatever they're doing with Iris. That obviously couldn't have happened due to Contests not being in the actual video games, but I would have been up for a third Contest arc. Though, it would probably work better if it was with Hilda instead of Iris due to her Gym Leader role. I never had a problem with the idea of a third Contest arc considering this is Ash's fifth Gym badge quest. Besides that, it would have been a better way to show off a character's development/growth in strength and it would serve as a nice breather from Ash's Gym battles. I don't think that Iris' goal to be a Dragon Master is like either Misty's goal or Ash's. It sounds more like she just needs to have some kind of emotional connection to Dragon Pokemon, or perhaps just Axew and evolve it. She doesn't have to win a lot of battles or go through tournaments like Ash and Misty would have to in order to achieve their goals. I kind of wish that they could make Iris actually struggle and work for that goal instead of handing everything over to her, which still makes me think that the writers need to put their main characters in battle active goals like Contests and Gyms in order to develop them. Even then they still make mistakes, but at least characters like May and Dawn who were in more battle active goals were more consistent with their development and writing than Iris has been.
    I was just trying to say that Iris is being handled in the amount she should. The other girls were over done and Brock was under done. So this balances it out for her. And please don't bring Misty into this, I'm not trying to start trouble in here.
    Bubble Frog likes this.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Caseydia View Post
    I was just trying to say that Iris is being handled in the amount she should.
    Again, her screen-time is fine, but it's being used very poorly. Her writing has been quite atrocious compared to the past few girls. I like her character in the beginning. I thought she was cute, and thought she had alot of potential. As time went on however, things just got increasingly worse. My opinion of her right now wouldn't be as extreme if she hadn't won the tournament. Given the fact she did, well...here we are.

It's been almost 60 episodes, and the writers have not written Iris into a character I care about, or can relate to.
    Last edited by Masurao; 25th October 2011 at 01:17 PM.

Page 12 of 40 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast