Do you think the show has improved since Kanto? - Page 8

View Poll Results: Do you think the show has improved since Kanto?

Voters
124. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, the new seasons are definitely better.

37 29.84%
  • No, the first season will always be the best season.

15 12.10%
  • It has improved in some ways but not in others.

72 58.06%
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Do you think the show has improved since Kanto?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Do you think the show has improved since Kanto?

Quote Originally Posted by Eifi View Post
    I don't like the Kanto season that much. I don't like many things about Kanto, actually. It's a rather boring region.

Maybe it's because Pokemon wasn't my childhood, and I've only liked Pokemon since the beginning of the Sinnoh region, Pokemon Pearl being my first game. I like the newer things better, same goes for the anime. *shrug*
    Wow. You're the only one that is brave here young Sir. I agree with you. After AG, I had miserably rewatched the old episodes and I mean all of them, plus the painfull sit through of Johto and the Chronicals and realized that the show did improve from way back then in alot of ways. Kanto was always boring for me because of Ash's stupidity. When Orange Islands came, the animation changed and I thought the characters were growing up. Hahahaha! And then in Johto I liked the super cute Pokemon that grabbed my attention.

Going on Youtube was not helping because they do alot abridges about Kanto, almost never about anything after that and I wasn't seeing how changing was a bad thing. The show was getting mature which made sense because I was growing up too. I was a kid when Kanto came out but I wasn't stupid. I like the show after Ash starting battling seriously starting in Johto. So yes, in some ways for me it had improved. I wouldn't want to go back just for a few characters not doing anything, bad animation and Ash acting so childish just to remain funny. This is why I didn't feel BW Ash s doing it for me. DP Ash was really spot on. For my age that is.

shsl music club member Catspring's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Add Catspring on Facebook
    Follow Catspring on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Caseydia View Post
    Wow. You're the only one that is brave here young Sir.
    But I'm a girl...

Anyways, thanks, and I agree with you. Surprisingly enough, I used to love the Kanto seasons and now I don't o.o Yeah, I love DP Ash the most, although Hoenn/BW Ash are all right.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gliscor'd View Post
    The DP trio was the dullest group to actually watch, that's why the show lost its humor. The 3 other groups have various antics between the main castmates interacting and that's what can make episodes funny. Even one line of dialogue or a character making a sarcastic remark to another makes it good. Nobody in the DP trio was sarcastic, they just all got along like 3 blank slates. Dawn was better as an individual character or just her and Ash, but that particular trio? I was bored out of my skull.

The funny thing is that's how I felt way back in 2006 when I heard they were bringing Brock back AGAIN and Dawn was just going to interact with him. The DP trio going on for 4 years didn't help matters either...
    There was a reason I started drifting away from the anime during the D/P era and you've pretty much summed it up right here. I just couldn't get into the majority of the episodes due to the dullness of the cast, both trio and rivals alike. (I actually despise characters like Barry with a passion. I cannot fathom how anyone would find him funny, but each to their own I guess. If I knew someone like that in real life, I'd probably clobber them.)

It may have been because I was so passionate about the AG group and the dynamic of the four main cast members. I could go on for hours about how well I thought the group interacted, but that's a story for another time.

I've not really got an opinion on Ash/Cilan/Iris as I've not seen a huge amount of BW. That should hopefully change soon.
    I stream Pokémon episodes and movies at least once a week, follow @PKMNProfessor on Twitter to receive updates on when I'm streaming! (I also tweet any interesting Pokemon based news stories, facts and what I'm currently doing in-game.)

Post Thanks / Like

The show is as good as ever, with a slight bump in the road called Sinnoh, that is when I stopped watching the show and now it is too late to start up again. I heard BW is good is that true?

White fc: 3010 4502 7876

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Add Azumarill39 on Facebook

Ok, this is long, so get ready: I really wish to get this point across, even if I’m somewhat late on the uptake:
    Look, I realize that BW is in one way or another trying to bring back the Kanto days, and I agree that this cannot be done. I however, being a genuine kanto season lover say that I don’t blame them for trying to do so, what with all these shit headed people going about saying “BRING BACK KANTO ASH!” I say this: You’ve been complaining that you want a more kanto like style to the anime for years, and when you get it, you hate on it. What is with this sea of contradictions. Contridictions make me mad, and they’re something I won’t stand! I say that every single season has its ups and its downs. I’ve said it in the threads about this 4kids vs pusa shit, though I am a 4kids fan, and I feel Veronica Taylor has been unfarely treated, I still say that Pusa has many good points as well. In the same way, as a fan of the first season and of the anime as a whole, I saythis: Kanto has its good points and its bad points. Orange Islands saga has its good points and its bad points. Johto Journeys has its good points and bad points. Johto League Champeons has its good points and bad points. Master Qest has its good points and bad points. Advanced has its good points and bad points. Advance challenge has its good points and bad points. Advanced Battle has its good points and bad points. Battle Frontier has its good points and bad points, even with the new voices. Diamond and Pearl has its good points and bad points, even with that lame DP rap done by Paul’s Voice Actor. Battle Dimention has its good points and bad points, including the return of Rachael Lillis, and the introduction of my favorite sinnoh pokemon, Drifblim. Galactic Battles has its good points and bad points, including that team Galactic arc, which was awesome and epic. Sinnoh League Victors has its good points and bad points, including that emotional episode at the end. Black and White has its good points and bad points. And Rival destanies has its good points and bad points too. And let’s not forget the movies and Chronicles, they have their good points and bad points too. Now I’m not trying to bor you to death with the season listings, but it emphacizes my point. I go on youtube and see this shit about how the anime sucks because it’s not like it was in the 90s, then I come here and keep on seeing how people dislike the johto series. To the point, there’s no definite answer to that question. It depends on which of the many aspects that you look at it. It doesn’t matter whether its nostalgia, or wishing to keep up with times. (even though I hate “genwunners”, they give a bad name to people like me, who genuinely have a good reason for liking the first two seasons the most, and it’s not nostalgia) I think that the right way to see it is like this: It has, yet it hasn’t. Meaning that it depends on your standards, and (stating obvious) not all people are going to have the same standards for the Pokemon Anime, or anything for that matter. And a side note, quit refreing to the Johto saga as the second season, the second season is the Orange Islands arc. Johto consists of seasons 3, 4, and 5 as well as their respective movies, Mewtwo Returns and The Legend of Thunder. Second gen doesn’t mean second season, and it may confuse newcomers to the pokemon franchise. Thanks, and sorry for boring you to death, but I hope and believe I got my point across. Thanks. Ps, spread my point around, I want it spread.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

brock in DP seemed more like an adult than ever. You could just see how much older and mature he looked in DP compared with OS. Him being BFFs especialy with a 10 year old girl would be more unrealistic than just being acquaintances. And it's not like people watch a series just to see how girlxbrock would carry out anyways. Its just complaining for the sake of complaining because dawn isnt liked much on here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Add Azumarill39 on Facebook

can't help but agree with the above post. also i've noticed that Dawn seems to get a lot of hate. NO granted, there have been times when i wished i could just smack her in the head and say "YOU IDIOT!" then again even Ash has had those moments too, but dispite those moments, i completely enjoyed the Diamond and Pearl series, and look forward to the English airing of the episode in which Dawn returns in.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by darthnatus View Post
    The show is as good as ever, with a slight bump in the road called Sinnoh, that is when I stopped watching the show and now it is too late to start up again. I heard BW is good is that true?
    It's good to a point. If you like comedy and pokemon interactions, then yes. But if you don't like bullcrap and a bunch of crappy battles and ass-pull evolutions, then no.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, it improved since Kanto.

And then it got worse.

Maybe it'll improve again.

Or maybe it won't.

Got dat Kalos swag Sir Fabulous's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

It's improved in several ways (battles, intensity, dynamism, etc.), but has been on a downward slope for some things since early DP (Brock was just, sort of, there, not doing much. Other than that, filler and Tobias showing up out of thin air, etc.) I like every saga (yes, including BW), but they each have their strengths and weaknesses. The original series had an excellent trio of protagonists, but the battles were usually mediocre. AG also had a good cast, as well as Pokemon with vivid personality, but some Pokemon got too much screentime while others didn't get enough. DP had outstanding battles and unique rivals, but again, the attention issue and the trio's chemistry. BW is the most mixed bag of all, with some all right rivals and battles, but the attention issue has gotten RIDICULOUS. All in all, the show has gotten better and worse at the same time, each series heralding new strategies for catching their audience, but having some sort of repulsive grimace at the same time.
    I have claimed: Staraptor (01/12/13), Shiny Stone (02/12/13), and Limber (02/12/13).

Proud Pokeservative! 97SaturnSL1's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

yes up intil sinnoh. after that it was a gradual decline. in BW season 1 it started to go down hill fast, there were a few episodes that were VERY good inb my thoughts thta would compare in greatness to some of the good season 1-4 episodes Such as Dancing with the Ducklett trio and Emolga and the volt switch. and BW season 2 was comparable to driving an SUV into a reinforced concrete wall. that was THE worst season i have ever watched and think the quality and improvements are gone

Registered User The Fighting Misty's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Best Wishes Season 2 was terrible, but the N arc looks decent so far and might redeem this series.

As for Best Wishes as a whole, its a shame that a saga that started off strong seeming like it would refresh the series wound up falling into the same old pitfalls as it progressed. DP went on too damn long, 4 years was too long to stay in a single region...that BW seemed so refreshing at the time, but now this saga has its own problems separate from what DP's problems were.

I'll say it again, with the exception of Cilan, Best Wishes largely comes across as forgettable. Makes me wish Cilan existed back in DP instead, he and Dawn could have had good chemistry together.

Super Moderator Hidden Mew's Avatar Forum Head
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Fighting Misty View Post
    Best Wishes Season 2 was terrible, but the N arc looks decent so far and might redeem this series.
    From what I've read, it does sound like a decent arc. I don't think it could redeem the series given how many problems I've had with BW, but I can see it possibly ending BW on a better note.

Quote Originally Posted by The Fighting Misty
    As for Best Wishes as a whole, its a shame that a saga that started off strong seeming like it would refresh the series wound up falling into the same old pitfalls as it progressed. DP went on too damn long, 4 years was too long to stay in a single region...that BW seemed so refreshing at the time, but now this saga has its own problems separate from what DP's problems were.

I'll say it again, with the exception of Cilan, Best Wishes largely comes across as forgettable. Makes me wish Cilan existed back in DP instead, he and Dawn could have had good chemistry together.
    I don't mind that DP stayed in the same region for four years. DP took advantage of its time much better than BW has and that led to a much better payoff for most of its subplots. While I liked that Brock was in DP and he did have decent chemistry with Dawn, the idea of Cilan being in the group during DP instead of BW does sound appealing to me.

Up until BW, each series improved over the last one in at least certain aspects, such as battles, more on-screen training, rivalries and female trainers having more development/focus. Aside from making a more entertaining secondary male character, I can't really think of any major improvements that BW has offered, which is a shame since it did have a promising start and ended up as a disappointment.

追放されたバカ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Fighting Misty View Post

I couldn't agree more with you. Lately I've felt like DP's problems are BW's strengths (main character chemistry, lack of believable humor for the most part, too long), whereas BW's problems are DP's strengths (maturation, growth of character, interesting rivalries, well-developed characters excluding Brock). Episode N definitely looks like it may be a decent arc (after the horrendous BWS2 arc) and it may end the series well-enough. I'm curious how the X and Y anime will be, actually, thinking of what's to come in the next arc.

Will Rip Titles 4 Money megastarmie's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Follow megastarmie On Twitter Add megastarmie on Facebook Add megastarmie on Google+ Add megastarmie on MySpace
    Add megastarmie on Linkedin Follow megastarmie on Tumblr Follow megastarmie on Flickr Visit megastarmie's Youtube Channel

Not really. OI wasn't as good as Kanto, but I still enjoyed it. Johto seemed like it would be an improvement, but questionable choices kept it from reaching its full potential. Like OI, I still enjoyed it. But from there, it only went downhill...

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast