Do you think the show has improved since Kanto? - Page 7

View Poll Results: Do you think the show has improved since Kanto?

Voters
124. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, the new seasons are definitely better.

37 29.84%
  • No, the first season will always be the best season.

15 12.10%
  • It has improved in some ways but not in others.

72 58.06%
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Like Tree144Likes

Thread: Do you think the show has improved since Kanto?

Registered User Trainer Gabriel's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Do you think the show has improved since Kanto?

Quote Originally Posted by Gliscor'd View Post
    DP was a mixed bag. The show stopped being funny...
    You seriously didn't find Croagunk, Conway, or Barry funny? I am at a loss for words.

But seriously, you seem to get this impression that because DP seemed to go to this "darker" route that it lost all sense of humor it supposedly had so much of before, yet what I just pointed above, and perhaps other things, says otherwise.

Registered User The Fighting Misty's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I did find those things funny. But otherwise both Brock and TR died comedy wise, the DP trio wasn't funny itself in terms of interactions, and the rivalries were also fairly serious. Gary, Harley, Barry are examples of rivals that are funny and can be a threat, and most of the BW rivalries are comedic like Bianca, Burungly and Georgia.

DP only had Barry. Zoey and Kenny never had any humor moments, Nando wasn't, and Paul obviously not.

Registered User Trainer Gabriel's Avatar
    Blog Entries

It sounds like using your logic, however, AG lost a lot of its humor too since the only funny rival we had then was Harley (OK, I guess there was also Morrison, but he was short-lived and can't be contributed to the whole series), and you just said "DP only had Barry" yet earlier in your post, you admitted that "you did find those things funny" when one of "those things" I mentioned was Conway, who is also a rival. Did you or did you not find him funny?

Whatever the case, my point still stands as I did just show that DP does have humor when you claimed it had none - and you even retracted your statement about that in your last post. DP may not have had as much humor as Kanto but it made up for that in... almost everything else, really.

Also, do you really have a hard time spelling or typing Burgundy?
    Last edited by Trainer Gabriel; 24th June 2012 at 01:19 AM.

Registered User Giovanni Sakaki's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Madame Pika View Post
    This whole thread is making me wonder one thing: what is this 'Kanto feel' anyway?
    Freshness, life and unfolding imagination. The writers, over fifteen years, have gotten used to the characters, settings, and formulas, and so naturally the newer seasons are far more 'polished' products. But I think what it really is that people miss about Kanto (early Kanto in particular) is the unpolishedness of it. It is rough around the edges, but the creators were on terra incognita and having fun with something new, and that is where the energy and unusual spark of it comes from.
    It suddenly occurred to Domino that Team Rocket was a massive game of Telephone, using actual telephones, with real-life results that could be really damn scary (for other people, of course).
    Domino sprite in my avatar made by http://jaydeis.deviantart.com/

Registered User The Fighting Misty's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Trainer Gabriel View Post
    It sounds like using your logic, however, AG lost a lot of its humor too since the only funny rival we had then was Harley (OK, I guess there was also Morrison, but he was short-lived and can't be contributed to the whole series), and you just said "DP only had Barry" yet earlier in your post, you admitted that "you did find those things funny" when one of "those things" I mentioned was Conway, who is also a rival. Did you or did you not find him funny?

Whatever the case, my point still stands as I did just show that DP does have humor when you claimed it had none - and you even retracted your statement about that in your last post. DP may not have had as much humor as Kanto but it made up for that in... almost everything else, really.

The DP trio was the dullest group to actually watch, that's why the show lost its humor. The 3 other groups have various antics between the main castmates interacting and that's what can make episodes funny. Even one line of dialogue or a character making a sarcastic remark to another makes it good. Nobody in the DP trio was sarcastic, they just all got along like 3 blank slates. Dawn was better as an individual character or just her and Ash, but that particular trio? I was bored out of my skull.

The funny thing is that's how I felt way back in 2006 when I heard they were bringing Brock back AGAIN and Dawn was just going to interact with him. The DP trio going on for 4 years didn't help matters either...

Blog Entries

Follow Aestivate on Tumblr Visit Aestivate's Youtube Channel

@Trainer Gabriel; Please refrain from calling people out/mocking their spelling, mmkay?

Blog Entries

Honestly, the only groups I throughly enjoyed were the Kanto group (which became kinda shit in Johto), and the Hoenn group.

pokemon fan 132 pokemon fan 132's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Masurao View Post
    Honestly, the only groups I throughly enjoyed were the Kanto group (which became kinda shit in Johto), and the Hoenn group.
    Johto group still had that feeling of close group of friends which understood themselves creating balanced and dynamic interaction. Perhaps its not so apparent because of too many fillers which focused more on cotd rather than cast itself, but generally when they shined they usually came out as memorable and entertaining characters showing great deal of care when someone was in trouble with Misty and Ash still providing tension and comedy.
    By end of Johto you can tell how close they grew to each other, having very hard time to split.

That kind of impression and chemistry i never managed to receive from DP cast with Brock always being left out, with friendship seeming at least in my opinion incomplete.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pokemon fan 132 View Post
    Johto group still had that feeling of close group of friends which understood themselves creating balanced and dynamic interaction. Perhaps its not so apparent because of too many fillers which focused more on cotd rather than cast itself.
    The Johto group did have their moments, however if I go and look back at some random episodes form Kanto as compared to Johto...I'd probably find myself laughing alot more with the former. They still could have kept the dynamics amusing regardless of the amount of fillers.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Masurao View Post
    The Johto group did have their moments, however if I go and look back at some random episodes form Kanto as compared to Johto...I'd probably find myself laughing alot more with the former. They still could have kept the dynamics amusing regardless of the amount of fillers.
    Well i remember Ash being still naive idiot(in believable way), Misty matured starting to appreciate friendship more while still liking to tease having that spunky attitude, and Brock was rather quite eccentric with all three showing great deal of care for each other, while providing humor and tension.

I guess reason why this didn't came to expression more was because of good chunk of episodes focusing on character of the day and resolving his problems with Ash and co not having chance to interact much in such episodes. But when they did whi, i have to say they had plenty memorable moments, entertaining me more than DP and even BW cast did.

Boulder Trainer Mikuri's Avatar Bulbapedia Junior Administrator

This is not an easy question to answer. I mean, way back in 2010 I would say "yes, the show has improved greatly" but seeing BW it is as if the writers had forgotten all the lessons learned over the years.

The story told in DP is definitely better than what was told in the original series, and anyone who is not blindfolded by nostalgia can see that. Two basic examples are Paul and Dawn. Just compare the rivalry between Ash and Gary with the rivalry between Ash and Paul. Ash and Gary were rivals because...? I remember now, because Gary, a ten year old boy, was traveling in a convertible full of women! Like, seriously? And people forget that Gary barely appeared during Johto and believe that the phrase "Gary was here, Ash is a loser!" was brilliant and so Gary is the best rival of all. -_- I prefer the way the rivalry of Ash and Paul was handled; the clash of ideas, the different training methods, two people seeking the same thing but in completely different ways. I liked that. And Dawn, oh Dawn, how I loved your journey. It is unfair to compare Misty and Dawn because Misty has only put out fires, teased Ash, pulled Brock's ear and carried Togepi in her arms, while Dawn had a story! I just loved seeing the girl who took a good amount of time to catch her first Pokémon reach the final of the Grand Festival! All she faced to get there, the loss of two Contests without even going into the Battle Round, when she thought she needed to worry.

But right now, what we have? Trip and Iris. \=

I would say that from OS to DP the show did wonderful improvements, but BW is a huge step backwards.
    Shinneth and pharaohyami5000 like this.

Blog Entries

To Mikuri: To be fair Misty had story too. To become water master, wanting to learn as much as she can, having complex of inferiority caused by sisters etc. Its just it wasn't fleshed out and developed as much like Dawn story was which happened to be more on going.

Anyway i agree.
    When it comes to story and character development, DP probably did it in most detailed and believable way. I too liked way in which Dawn story was foiled out, having to deal with pressure imposed on her by mother and others, having to prove herself to everyone. She started out as fairly overconfident character with several loses making her realize what she was doing wrong becoming more humble and down to earth person . And it was nice to see her advancing goal step by step ending as runner up at DP Grand Festival.

Ash grew even more mature as character starting to incorporate different approach to battles not being so rash anymore, amd rivalry with Paul was definitely done in much better manner than Gary. I don't even need to say how DP also got some of best villains we ever had such as Hunter J or Team Galactic with writers doing quality job in development area.

Though i can understand people which prefer Kanto compared to newer sagas tending to have more comedy, unique plots and roughness with writers experimenting back than with various things at times going overboard. Which resulted in quite a few episodes being banned.

So ill say anime over the years when taking in account all sagas, both improved and declined in some aspects with things not being black and white in here.
    Azumarill39 likes this.

Kanto was the best in general, the entire series of the anime became retarded when Johto passed, They should've stayed in Johto or Kanto or atleast have an anime for Red in Kanto, Then he'd travel to all the regions with his Pikachu, then again he'd stay for a few extra episodes in Kanto due to Mt. Silver, then he'd battle Gold, Lose, and travel to Johto to become stronger and travel to more regions, as his Manga persona which is more fun, even though he was silly and stuff in the manga, he's not as dumb as Ash, So I'd prefer his Manga persona with the clothes and so on, Maybe they could have it where he has the power of two persona's, his serious one, and his childish one.

RONALDO!!
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gliscor'd View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainer Gabriel View Post

The DP trio was the dullest group to actually watch, that's why the show lost its humor. The 3 other groups have various antics between the main castmates interacting and that's what can make episodes funny. Even one line of dialogue or a character making a sarcastic remark to another makes it good. Nobody in the DP trio was sarcastic, they just all got along like 3 blank slates. Dawn was better as an individual character or just her and Ash, but that particular trio? I was bored out of my skull.

The funny thing is that's how I felt way back in 2006 when I heard they were bringing Brock back AGAIN and Dawn was just going to interact with him. The DP trio going on for 4 years didn't help matters either...
    yea, that group was boring as hell, had to quit watching...
    I fell asleep watching one of them eppys, I was surprised as hell Brock stayed...
    For the last time, BW is NOT a reboot.
    (Copy and paste this to your signature if you agree)

Proud Pokeservative! 97SaturnSL1's Avatar
    Blog Entries

the 90s animation style for kanto was the best in actuall animation. i HATE all of this Computer generated animation that all attacks use. Back in my day water gun actually looked like a stream of water. however the only thing i overly like about unova is that team rocket is actually serious now (however a hint of humor would be nice) and that a bit of comedy is still around such as the Ducklett trio, Bianca, ect. the show lost SLAPSTICK humor (which is a key in keeping certian audiences and younger kids entertained), but on the plus side has gained a few jokes older kids from kanto would get and laugh at such as the title cards and a few "scientifically placed" jokes like in other shows around the time kanto came out such as IM Weasel. but i think the overall competence has just stunk over the past 14yrs

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast