Do you think the show has improved since Kanto? - Page 2

View Poll Results: Do you think the show has improved since Kanto?

Voters
124. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, the new seasons are definitely better.

37 29.84%
  • No, the first season will always be the best season.

15 12.10%
  • It has improved in some ways but not in others.

72 58.06%
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you think the show has improved since Kanto?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Do you think the show has improved since Kanto?

Quote Originally Posted by pokemon fan 132 View Post
    Old series have their pros and cons giving lot of funny moments,smart and funny humor with original trio playing well as group overcoming their differences feeling like real group of friends with good personalities.
    Group of Ash,Misty and Brock played out very well having good dynamic and interaction.From Ash naive and stubborn attitude, Misty temper, sarcasm and smart alec jokes being wrapped up with wise and cool attitude from Brocks character having un drainable source of knowledge and helpful tips.
    They felt like family having excellent flamboyant dynamic and interactions between them being fun to see them starting to mature, over time opening more themselves to each other strengthening their friendship while providing lot of good comedy feeling like very close and genuine group(which transferred to OI and Johto in its better parts especially toward end).

Back than older series had different note to it with more focus being directed on development of characters and anime story in general than pokemon themselves like its case nowdays.
    I just want to point out that they were not the only ones to have this dynamic. The other female companions, while they did not fill the role of Id (the character driven by passions), they instead would come to have almost as much screentime as Ash, to even where it could be said the show had two stars instead of one. I liked this setup more because more focus was being put on one of Ash's companions, and it felt more equal. Now instead of the female companion, they decided to focus on Cilan, if merely for the matter that he is so flamboyant that it's impossible not to focus on him. I hold nothing against the people who enjoyed the more "fun" attitude of the original saga, but know that it is not everyone's cup of tea. As for that last statement, I must disagree. If anything, AG and DP had FAR more character development, both for human characters AND for pokemon. If you're referring to the matter that the first season had less filler, I will refer yet again to the matter that they didn't know if the anime would last that long. Right now, the anime is working at a faster pace, and while I appreciate the focus on getting the plot done, character development has been sacrificed to make it happen. If you're referring to what I just said, then never mind.
    Step into the Fairy circle

What do you mean improved? Of course it did. Minus the aweful pity badges and lame matches, it of course had to Improve. OS had changed the way the gyms were done. Johto had trainers who could actually battle. Hoenn had a not so dumb Ash, BF had badass battles, and DP had badass rivals. So yeah. In some way it has approved. Depending on which area.

Blog Entries

Follow Kyriaki on Tumblr

I'll try and draw a development line here

-----------------------------------------------/--------Sinnoh---------\
    Kanto--------\---------------/------Hoenn----/-------------------------\
    --------------\----Johto----/-------------------------------------------\------Unova---------

So yeah. Things got worse in Johto, got better in Hoenn and even better in Sinnoh, but worse in Unova.
    Last edited by Kyriaki; 5th February 2012 at 10:17 AM.

I feel like Unova probably had a chance to be the best series if:

- They kept DP's style of battling

- Made Giovanni/Plasma actually have regular appearances.

Shame, when BW first started I thought it was going to improve on some aspects of DP....but now I feel like the whole saga is a mixed bag. I don't hate the saga, but it almost feels as if there's not much reason to continue watching it other than Cilan and to see how Ash's Pokemon develop.

The only reason I accepted Johto is simply because back then we didn't know how long the series would go on for, and it could have been quite possible that Johto might have been the end of Ash's story.....AG could have always had Brendan and May as mains and restarted for example....

cheese! Insanish Danish's Avatar Forum Head
    Blog Entries

Follow Insanish Danish on Tumblr

As others have said, it's improved in some ways, but not in others. It's obviously gotten better in terms of writing and character development and such, but Kanto did have this fun, kind of magical air about it that hasn't quite been captured in seasons since. Of course, I'm one of the rare ones who loves every season/series/whatever of Pokemon to date, so I'm not complaining or saying KANTO WAS THE BEST EVERYTHING ELSE SUCKS (or vice versa).
    back to being a non-edible pastry

For me, every saga is better than the previous one (so yes, Kanto is the worst, though I love them all including Kanto... and I guess it does have the nostalgia going for it, though for me gens 1 and 2 are pretty equal in the "level" of nostalgia they make me feel)
    Kanto: free badges, Poké leave before we get to know them, most of Pokémon didn't have a real personality or development, etc...
    Orange: Gyms got better, was the most "creative" of all sagas in the different way Gyms and League worked and how they traveled mainly by the sea from island to island
    Johto: battles started to get good and most of the badges were won fairly, Pokémon had more personality/development and didn't leave after 2 seconds
    Hoenn: added the idea of a girl star and Contests which I really loved, improved character personality/development for both humans and Pokémon, battles improved a lot too
    BF: was pretty much Hoenn, but even better
    DP: was Pokémon at its best! they got right the equal heroine thing and Dawn was my favorite character, best battles the show ever had, best rival for Ash ever, most of Poké had good personality/development, lots of continuity both within the series and to previous series
    BW: the only series that destroyed the gradual improving of the show... don't like how older Poké don't appear at all (and how some BW Poké are totally overused as result) and don't like the new Joy/Jenny, hate how we're back to the girl being a sidekick and no Contests or anything new, worst group ever, bad battles compared to what AG/DP had, boring main rival, repeating Kanto's various mistakes (like Ash catching 235235 Poké and barely using them)

At least the BW trio has a dynamic which is what the DP trio lacked. DP's biggest flaw was the lack of
    cohesive chemistry of that particular trio.

It's like the writers didn't even try to have Brock or Dawn have any type of memorable interaction.

That's your opinion... for me, the DP group was the best and I think their interactions worked perfectly with each character's personality and relation to the others

There was no relation between Dawn and Brock. They were both just there.

Iris and Cilan act as counterparts.

Exaggerated biased opinion, yay! and I won't reply here again cause I'm not going to even try to argue about it, that's my opinion and it's not going to change *leaves thread*

Compared to Jouto, I think the animation in Kanto was a lot better. I'm not sure what it is, but even Takeda's horrendous animation is bearable in Kanto. I also think the Kanto BGM has yet to be matched, but that's probably just nostalgia speaking.

Crimson Fighter PhilosophyPhlare's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gliscor'd View Post
    There was no relation between Dawn and Brock. They were both just there.

Iris and Cilan act as counterparts.
    That's been brought up like 2-4 times and it wasn't interesting in any of them.

Blog Entries

In my opinion, the show has undoubtedly improved since Kanto in near enough every aspect. Storylines and character development are a lot better; we had characters other than Ash doing something in AG/DP, we had more rivals playing more active roles, better choreographed battles (in most cases, anyway) and the Pokemon teams were better developed not just in terms of battling, but also personality. The only thing I think the show could have improved on in AG and DP was to include more randomly fun and emotional episodes. Best Wishes seems to be trying to do this and is not only failing to accomplish it, but also lacking in everything else; though I do have to wonder how things would have played out if the Rocket vs Plasma episodes had aired.

Super Moderator Hidden Mew's Avatar Forum Head

Personally, I think that the show has improved quite a bit since Kanto. There has been much better characterization, the most of the Pokemon have more personality, Ash actually earns most of his badges and in at least AG/DP, there was better focus on other characters in the group, mainly May and Dawn, and the rivals in both series were generally handled better and were more interesting than Gary. While BW does unfortunately feel like a step-backwards instead of a step forward like the other sagas have been for the most part and I have mixed feelings about a lot of the decisions they've made, I would still say that it's better than Kanto. The characterization is still stronger, Cilan and Iris do have more focus than Brock and Misty did and they don't blend into the background nearly as much, there is more personality in the main cast's Pokemon than there was back in Kanto and Ash still earns his badges.

There are still problems with the other series and sagas, but I think that they've generally improved over Kanto in at least a few areas. I enjoy watching the Kanto saga every now and then for fun, but I don't think that was the highpoint of the anime or that none of the other series could top it.

pokemon fan 132 pokemon fan 132's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Samurott View Post
    I just want to point out that they were not the only ones to have this dynamic. The other female companions, while they did not fill the role of Id (the character driven by passions), they instead would come to have almost as much screentime as Ash, to even where it could be said the show had two stars instead of one. I liked this setup more because more focus was being put on one of Ash's companions, and it felt more equal. Now instead of the female companion, they decided to focus on Cilan, if merely for the matter that he is so flamboyant that it's impossible not to focus on him. I hold nothing against the people who enjoyed the more "fun" attitude of the original saga, but know that it is not everyone's cup of tea. As for that last statement, I must disagree. If anything, AG and DP had FAR more character development, both for human characters AND for pokemon. If you're referring to the matter that the first season had less filler, I will refer yet again to the matter that they didn't know if the anime would last that long. Right now, the anime is working at a faster pace, and while I appreciate the focus on getting the plot done, character development has been sacrificed to make it happen. If you're referring to what I just said, then never mind.
    I meant how in Kanto and original series in general anime was more focused on relationship between humans and less on pokemon themselves. They usually took backseat with writers dedicating more focus on development of interactions between main characters.

Thats one of main reasons why you could get impression how Ash,Misty and Brock trio played out so naturally between themselves feeling like real group of friends which had fun traveling together and exploring world.

Imo they also seemed to have closest bond with departure in Gotta Catch Ya Later showing how much attached to each other they became.

Back than, especially in Kanto anime was initially intended to be like family show written for all kind of generations according to Takeshi Shudo blogs. However since he wasnt allowed to do that, having to adjust to future games and marketing that style of writing started to gradually decline, just to end up disappearing completely somewhere around Hoenn.

Show has improved in many aspects since Kanto days, but imo back than pokemon used to have more humor, better dynamic within cast and many things which today would never manage to pass under radar like it was case before. Such exaggerated style and wacky plots original series used to had also resulted in this era of pokemon being known for highest number of banned episodes to this date. Simply because some scenes werent suitable for kids TV show.

What i liked abot Kanto,Oi and to lesser extent Johto is also fact how back than writers stick in much smaller amount to games straying away from it quite a few times including less game characters, with more anime exclusive things being incorporated. Nowadays we dont get anymore such unique mini arcs like it was case with Sabrina, St.Anne, Gengar and Alakazam bringing in danger whole world, having something like Whirl Islands arc which felt like mini season put in one bigger . Or Giovani gym which involved Mewtwo following movie canon closely. We dont get whole anime only seasons like it was case with Orange Islands having unique portrayal of gyms and place in which story was set in.

Nowadays pokemon handles main characters better, storyline is more consistent and battles, villains and treatment of pokemon themselves have better writing behind it. However imo Kanto had more comedy, better dialogue and dynamic, and wacky and out of place plots with writers seeming to have much more liberty back in day, to spread wings of creativity and use their own imagination.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast