Do you think Ash/Satoshi should be replaced? - Page 9

Page 9 of 68 FirstFirst ... 78910111959 ... LastLast
Like Tree359Likes

Thread: Do you think Ash/Satoshi should be replaced?

Registered User The Fighting Misty's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Do you think Satoshi should be replaced?

Quote Originally Posted by Piplup View Post
    Usually, VAs are paid according to how long their session is or their amount of lines, not according to how long they did that role...
    In Japan, the longer a VA does the same role the more they are paid. They must be paying Satoshi's VA a fortune. Its the same reason Dragonball Kai had to recast some of their actors, the ones from 20 years ago were too expensive.

So? It's still totally fresh even if they sometimes mention past events... and even if you'd replace Ash with Hilbert in BW, I honestly doubt ANYTHING would be different other than the face of Ash being now the face of Hilbert
    Also, funny to hear that from you, since you always insist on saying BW is a "reboot"
    If TR leaves at the end of this gen, Ash will be the only character left. With everyone else gone, you might as well do a REAL reboot for next gen.

That's not to say Ash can't appear at all. I could see him being something of a recurring champion like Cynthia who only appears every 25-30 episodes or so to challenge the next protagonist.

pokemon fan 132 pokemon fan 132's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kameinu View Post
    YES! YES! YES!
    I want Ash gone. I loved him up till DP. But the way BW is handling him is dumb! God. It really makes one feel like they wasted their time caring about the character. The writers really don't care. Up until DP the show had some sense of reality (empashis on SOME). The growth he went through as a trainer till then was what I'd call realistic. You become great over time. But dumbing him down and throwing all that away, to me atleast, is disrespectful not only to the viewers, but to the character.
    To be honest this happens at start of every new region to make easier for new kids to follow pokemon series and Ash journey.Reason why this doesnt happen with his companions like Brock case for example is because Ash traveling companions arent intended to stay in this show forever not being needed to stretch out their stories as much as possible with writers having more liberty in developing them faster.Like Dawn making much bigger improvement toward her goal in one regiopn compared to all this years it took Ash to come top 4 in league for example.
    Ash being toned down along with Pikachu strength being reset happens at start at every new region with same scenario already happening in Hoenn and at start of Sinnoh.Also it has always been part of his character to make rookie mistakes acting immature and naively tending to forget things he learned which can be annotated as part of him being excited about new region and pokemon always being prone to make at times stupid misplays.

As series went on Ash usually picks himself up quickly going back to mode of mature and experienced trainer as we get to see in Sinnoh doing step forward as trainer showing all his knowledge he gathered in previous sagas and strategies he developed.
    Granted he was toned down little more in BW compared to Sinnoh but he also isnt acting like total rookie either keeoing some knowledge he obtained in past. He is still immature and reckless making some common and obvious mistakes like he used to do in early days but he also use some strategy in Unova battling smarter with his pokemon like Oshawott,Swadloon or Pikachu not using approach "with head through wall",at least not very often.He was also showed being capable enough on his own not needing so much mentoring from Cilan or Iris knowing already basic things acting more mature.

Quote Originally Posted by Gliscor'd View Post
    Its funny that people are trying to claim Pokemon is about Ash, when the Pokemon franchise is about the Pokemon themselves.
    It has been established how pokemon is show about Ash journey as character with whole plot revolving around him.Title for pokemon series have stated times and times how this series are about Ash story.

For some anime to be considered as TV show for certain character it doesnt need to contain main character nam in it like Mario or Naruto does.
    For example One Piece is show revolving around Luffy and his crew of pirates traveling around the world to find hidden treasure.Dragon ball was always pretty much mainly centered around Goku.

Same for Pokemon,this anime has stated countless times in past how it is about journey of 10 year old from Pallet town who strives to become pokemon master.

Once again, Ash is not in any of the games. Even his game counterpart Red, has never made a re-appearance since GS. (aside from HGSS which doesn't count). All the various Pokemon manga do not focus on Satoshi and Pikachu.
    He isnt in any games because he is based of from Red.Also Red has never achieved such popularity and iconic status like Ash character did proving to be cash cow through which poikemon company makes money having strong marketing value.

Ash and Pikachu are most recognized and popular characters in TV show attracting younger audience toward this show and products from pokemon franchise.
    Writers and producers already have someone who is proven success explaining reason why Ash is being kept in show despite being ancient old character.

Besides like Gotpika already pointed out it has been officially confirmed in interview with ex pokemon director Masamitsu Hidaka how Ash will never be replaced staying in Pokemon until it ends.

Why do you keep bringing up ratings? LMAO, the show would do exactly the same in terms of ratings with any other main character.

Little kids will watch WHOEVER is the main character! They watch for the Pokemon.
    Problem with Ash being replaced lies in fact that he became so much integrated in this show being face of pokemon show that having him removed involves too much risk for writers and producers to take.
    After someone is being part of show for almost 15 years with people being too used to him reaching huge popularity any attempt of replacing it would more than likely end up with many people becoming too disappointed quitting with show in process.

People forget how negatively it reflected on show and its popularity some characters being replaced.
    When Brock was ditched for first time during Orange Islands that move lifted up quite alot of dust among fanbase,and Mistys departure at end of Johto was ten times worse received causing big backlash from fans with good chunk quitting with anime only because of this with show to them losing its value and sense of identity.This canb be noticed by sudden drop of TV ratings in USA at that time with complaints for her return being anything but small not dsiminishing even after all this years.

In Ash case complaints would be 100 times bigger.

Because recognizable to old fans makes no difference if we're not the target audience and the writers don't intend any old fans to still be watching.
    There is one big flaw within this argument.
    If older fans doesnt matter anymore and if Ash is doing great among target demographic being successful in promoting new games what is point of writers replacing him?

Why they would take risk of people losing interest in new Pokemon anime with new protagonist being made with ratings dropping down by replacing Ash when he is already doing his job just fine for them?

Also i wouldnt say how writers dont care about older fans at all.References to past and appearances of older characters like Gary,May,Jessibelle,Misty etc in past shows how they are aware of older fans existence who watch this show contributing to TV ratings and buying pokemon products.

Last time i checked older fandom can be counted in hundreds of thousands of fans which while isnt important compared to target audience is respectable number by itself.

Talking about Chronicles, I would like to remind everyone once again Richie's Chronicles eps... do we REALLY want the show to go this way? if that was a preview of what would happen in case of Ash being removed, then thanks but I'll pass... cheap boring Ash clones and TRio clones...
    I agree about no chronicles being made instead of main series,though personally i would like to see another set of them as side series being made.

Many forgotten older characters like May,Misty,Brock etc are highly popular having potential to offer more and seeing new adventures of them being made developing their stories more and giving update could only bring benefit attracting more fans possibly beyond just target demographic by increasing ratings and bringing more money.

Its not fresh because no matter what, the writers still bring up events from past sagas from time to time. BW will probably do the same later on.
    Since when bringing up past was negative thing?
    Mentioning things from past,bringing back Ash older pokemon or his previous companions is always welcomed and refreshing change of pace to get some update and bring something unexpected on table.

In all honestly majority likes when such things happen and would obviously disagree with this.

EDIT:Also do people really believe how young kids who start watching this show dont do any research about previous sagas Ash traveled through getting to know older characters and achievements he made?,
    Its naive to assume how they just start following show without bothering to inform themselves about events which took place before.

People seriously underestimate small kids when pretending like they dont know anything about Ash previous adventures and older characters.Which is wrong thing to say because many of them thanks to various pokemon books,reruns of older episodes on TV networks,internet or older relatives know more than we are willing to give them credit for.

Thanks to this people who make target audience become attached to Ash character before new series even start pout viewing him as icon for this show which with itself pulls reason why Ash being replaced wouldnt be accepted well by younger fans either causing consequence of people starting to lose interest for this show..

I think that fact how many of older fans who were small kids among target audience back than reacted abruptly on some characters being replaced(Like Kasumi or Takeshi during OI) should tell us how Ash departure would cause repercussions toward this show among today kids too.
    Only in Ash case they would be much bigger.

Moderator Hidden Mew's Avatar Forum Head

In Japan, the longer a VA does the same role the more they are paid. They must be paying Satoshi's VA a fortune. Its the same reason Dragonball Kai had to recast some of their actors, the ones from 20 years ago were too expensive.
    I thought that some of the voice actors weren't able to provide their voices for DB Kai due to their health. I'm not that familiar with the Japanese cast of DB Kai, but I'm pretty sure that was the case for at least a few of the voice actors that they had to replace.

Quote Originally Posted by Gliscor'd
    If TR leaves at the end of this gen, Ash will be the only character left. With everyone else gone, you might as well do a REAL reboot for next gen.

That's not to say Ash can't appear at all. I could see him being something of a recurring champion like Cynthia who only appears every 25-30 episodes or so to challenge the next protagonist.
    Technically speaking, a real reboot would take place in a different continuity from the previous Pokemon series and Ash wouldn't appear at all. That's how the term is usually used for new movies or series of a franchise. That's also why I said that the BW games are almost like a reboot since it still takes place within the same universe as the other games due to some of the references here and there. By the time the series for generation six rolls around, Ash will be the main character for about seventeen or eighteen years. I think that we're long since past the point where Ash can be replaced. He's been the main character for fourteen years and he's currently in his fourth series. He's going to stay. There have been quite a few chances for them to replace Ash in the past. They could have replaced him before AG since that was the first new series, they could have made him accept that Frontier Brian position and they could have had Ash just travel around some unnamed region at the end of DP so that they could focus on a new trainer from the Unova region, although they would have to find a reason for him to get a Pikachu as his first Pokemon too. They still kept Ash after all of those events and I don't think that it would be a good idea, at least marketing wise, to replace the main character after nearly twenty years.

Blog Entries

Let's not call people naive just because they have a certain view.

Blazaking's Avatar Staff ArtistModerator
    Blog Entries
    Follow Blazaking On Twitter Add Blazaking on Google+
    Follow Blazaking on Tumblr Visit Blazaking's Youtube Channel

So I just read quite a few pages of Gliscor'd going back and forth with several users. Let me just say this...

What's the topic of this thread? "Do you think Satoshi should be replaced?" Yeah, I think that's it. "Should he be replaced". Not "can he be replaced" and not "will he be replaced". What's the answer?

No. Why? Because he doesn't need to. As many have said previously, the show is currently doing top-notch and doesn't require a change in its formula.

What's that? Ash has been on the show for too long and needs proper closure? As Gliscor'd himself pointed out, the audience is constantly switched out with new kids. They don't care if Ash has been on the show for 15 years because they have virtually no attachment with him at that point. The only people who think that Ash needs to go are the older audience who have been watching this show since they were the target audience.

As many have also pointed out, taking Ash out is also risky move. It's not as simple as taking out Misty, May, Dawn or Brock. The Ash and Pikachu Duo is what the anime is known for. If they decide to take them out then it could negatively affect the anime, and by extension, the franchise itself.

Also: The Pokémon main series games are about Pokémon. The Pokémon anime is about Ash and Pikachu journeying through regions so Ash can become a Pokémon Master. They are not the same thing.
    martianmister likes this.

Also known as Kameinu. himanuts's Avatar
    Follow himanuts On Twitter Add himanuts on Facebook Add himanuts on Google+
    Follow himanuts on Tumblr Visit himanuts's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by pokemon fan 132 View Post
    To be honest this happens at start of every new region to make easier for new kids to follow pokemon series and Ash journey.Reason why this doesnt happen with his companions like Brock case for example is because Ash traveling companions arent intended to stay in this show forever not being needed to stretch out their stories as much as possible with writers having more liberty in developing them faster.Like Dawn making much bigger improvement toward her goal in one regiopn compared to all this years it took Ash to come top 4 in league for example.
    Ash being toned down along with Pikachu strength being reset happens at start at every new region with same scenario already happening in Hoenn and at start of Sinnoh.Also it has always been part of his character to make rookie mistakes acting immature and naively tending to forget things he learned which can be annotated as part of him being excited about new region and pokemon always being prone to make at times stupid misplays.
    I got over and accepted it for AG and DP. And found both cases to make sense. Hell, even Pikachu loosing to Tsutarja made SOME sense with the Zekrom thing. But it's the way it's being kept and handled in BW that annoys me. And the fact that he hasn't aged adds to that annoyance. When you add all that up, it shows the character hasn't progressed/ Whatever progress he had has been thrown out.

Ash being stupid and ignorant in BW could've worked, if they didn't pull the "10 year old from pallet town" card. People forget things over TIME (see writers, hang out with Dialga and Celebi so you can grasp the concept), maybe if he had aged during the time between DP and BW and during that time he hadn't stayed up with his training people would openly accept his ignorance come BW. The guy hasn't trained in a while and is in a new land! THAT makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by pokemon fan
    As series went on Ash usually picks himself up quickly going back to mode of mature and experienced trainer as we get to see in Sinnoh doing step forward as trainer showing all his knowledge he gathered in previous sagas and strategies he developed.
    Granted he was toned down little more in BW compared to Sinnoh but he also isnt acting like total rookie either keeoing some knowledge he obtained in past. He is still immature and reckless making some common and obvious mistakes like he used to do in early days but he also use some strategy in Unova battling smarter with his pokemon like Oshawott,Swadloon or Pikachu not using approach "with head through wall",at least not very often.He was also showed being capable enough on his own not needing so much mentoring from Cilan or Iris knowing already basic things acting more mature.
    Yeah, but it's the fact that he has been "reseted" more than ever before, without any real explanation or excuse that annoys me. That's what annoys me about everything I dislike about this show. They just don't put as much effort and thought into it and just expect the viewers to accept it. They simply don't care about anything. So what if I'm not in the target audience? So what if the kids watching today won't be the target audience in 10 years? Atleast show some sense of respect to the story you're telling!

What?... people who aren't interested in Pokémon talk about Hilbert? Most of these people will probably react like "oh, I remember Ash and Pikachu" to anyone mentioning Pokémon... a lot of them might not even be aware of the fact Pokémon started as video games and view it mainly as a cartoon
    Yes, yes they do. It's common sense to think that the protagonist of the current game in whatever would star in the show based on that video game. And I beg to differ, the more money those games have made come each generation, has brought in more people to play them. And now more people have realized wich actually came first.

So? It doesn't mean they'll somehow randomly decide to stop enjoying the current series and games just because they'll find out about the older ones... that makes no sense at all
    How doesn't it make sense? All of this kids start enjoying the show because they can relate to what's happening, beause they went through it if they played the games. When they realize it's going nowhere they will be dissapointed, and eventually will find enjoying the show hard.

Why? This is a random statement that makes no sense at all
    Most of the target audience will just enjoy the show for what it is, watch the eps that air on TV, won't think too much about stuff and that's it
    Some of the older ones might go deeper into it and search stuff on the internet and might find older eps/games/whatever, right... but so what? it won't change anything about them watching the current series or play the current games
    For what it is? You mean an endless cycle of rinsed and repeated storylines that will lead nowhere? The moment kids realize that, as I said, they'll be dissapointed. Realizing the truth ealier by looking into the past just speeds up the realization a little bit.

And whoever decided that's a bad thing?... Pokémon is a never ending story - enjoy it for what it is or just don't watch it... fact is, new kids will always keep getting into the show, even if you think that for some crazy reason they'll stop enjoying it when they'll find out about its past
    Anyone and everyone that has followed or will follow this show because they wanted to see Ash's character grow and develope. Seeing him be stuck in repetitive limbo with no direct admission of it is just sad and dissapointing.

How? A rare one-shot episode/movie won't change the fact Ash IS the Pokémon anime's main character
    I said lessen the idea of Ash being the main character of the POKEMON FRANCHISE, I did not say anime.. Chronicles is always brought up, and when people who didn't know of their existence learn about it, they wish to see it. No matter what the age. It's natural as a fan of Pokemon to be curious about adventures with other protagonists, specially the ones from the games. And seeing them being used somehow will show people it isn't all about Ash.

Wether using these characters and ideas can be nice or not, have nothing to do with Ash being replaced... they could feature said characters/plots if they wanted to do so - it's not like Ash is preventing this stuff from happening... the only thing he "prevents" is the game hero to enter the cast, but as I said he's pretty much the representive of the new game hero of every gen, so stuff would hardly be any difference if, say, Lucas were the star of DP instead of Ash - most of the DP series would probably still play out exactly the same way it did...
    Not using this characters just adds to the fact that the writers don't care, which is probly the reason why they handle Ash the way they do. He's amazing growth up to DP flushed down come Best Wishes, because they probly don't give a damn.

I said that to Scott who said new kids won't care about Ash being repalced by a new character because they don't know him and aren't attached to him - so with Scott's logic, Ash IS a "new character" for these kids and therefore it makes no sense at all to replace a "new character" with a new character

Which is one of many reasons why the writers aren't likely to do the ridiculous decision of removing him from the show
    If you read my other posts you'll I'm open to the possibility of Ash being concluded, and a new continuity with a "new him" being made. It's about actually giving a damn and caring about quality when building and telling a character and his story.

Well, Spiderman IS a new thing for every kid who happens to watch it for the first time in his life and gets excited of the show despite of YOU viewing it as "same old character, same old story, isn't interesting" - to said kid it's fresh and exciting - and it DOES work similary with Pokémon too
    Yeah, but Spiderman gets rebooted, so in THAT sense he is a new character every generation. This is the same Ash, his past has been reffered to, the existence of some continuity has been noted, despite being spitted at.

Most kids younger than 10 would probably never even try to "seek older material"
    The older ones: some won't care (because no, not everyone who likes Pokémon is a crazy fan who goes on the internet and search stuff), some will care and search stuff and so will learn about Poké's past - something that isn't likely to cause them to randomly stop enjoying it like you seem will happen
    Most kids younger than 10, specially those in Japan, have a little thing called a remote. They can change their channels with it. The most basic form of seeking material from Pokemon is by changing the channel and stumbling accross episodes, which in turn trigger curiosity on the children.

And them stop likeing the show because they just saw AG or the OS won't make them inmediately stop watching, it's the moment they realize how much there is and notice it's going nowhere when they'll start doubting. That takes time, however long. It took me up till BW to accept it.

If the show keeps going the route it is, one day, ben it Gen 6 or Gen 16, it will happen. They can only go for so long with the same crap. =/

In Japan, the longer a VA does the same role the more they are paid.
    You don't know that, not to mention different studios might have different "rules" about stuff like this, so throwing a general "in Japan" without any specific information is just wrong...

They must be paying Satoshi's VA a fortune.
    I seriously doubt her payment grows every year... seriously, until you prove me otherwise with some official information, I'll stick to what I said before: VAs are paid either by time of each session they record, or by the amount of lines they had that session... there's absolutely no reason someone voicing the main character in a 13 eps show will get paid less for each session than what someone voicing the main character in a show with over 100 eps gets

Also, even assuming you're right about this - the fact Rica Matsumoto voiced Ash for more than 14 years seems to hint they have no problem with that...

That means nothing, Ash and Pikachu are the only ones who really matter... the others can leave, these two can't... well, everything is possible, but so far it doesn't seem likely and you're yet to provide us reasons why the writers would want to remove Ash from the show
    Last edited by Piplup; 13th July 2011 at 01:53 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pokemon_master2 View Post
    I'm surprised that people haven't read the interview WPM from Pokebeach had with the director of the anime, Matsumoto Hidaka. WPM asked him if Satoshi will ever be replaced and he said "no. never". Also he clearly said that the last episode of pokemon will be with Satoshi becoming a pokemon master.

So the "think" in the title actually is just an opinion of something that already has an official answer.
    He's just one of many directors on the show. His word shouldn't be taken as gospel. Just because WPM interviewed him doesn't mean he's special or has more influence than any other person.

it shows the character hasn't progressed/ Whatever progress he had has been thrown out.
    I don't agree with that at all
    Ash was constantly developed and it didn't stop in BW - BW's Ash's friends just pull out different sides of Ash from what his AG-DP friends did... Ash is the same Ash and he didn't lose any of his development
    People are overexaggerating this... seriously... he was excited in the first two eps due to being in a brand new region with ONLY new Poké (not to mention he first arrived there as vacation and not a journey) and after that he's the same as always... what's so different/bad about the way Ash is now in BW? he's seriously the same as always... people just exaggerate things

Ash being stupid and ignorant in BW
    Except he's not

Yes, yes they do. It's common sense to think that the protagonist of the current game in whatever would star in the show based on that video game.
    It's not a common sense at all to randomly believe a long running show's hero was replaced just because a new game is released, especially since Pokémon never did that before... gen 2 - Ash stay, 3 - stay, 4 - stay, 5 - he's still here
    When people will finally stop expecting him to be replaced?

And I beg to differ, the more money those games have made come each generation, has brought in more people to play them. And now more people have realized wich actually came first.
    You seem to talk about fans, I talk about people in general...

All of this kids start enjoying the show because they can relate to what's happening, beause they went through it if they played the games.
    A lot of the viewers don't even play the games... it's pretty ridiculous to say that's the reason people watch it
    Kids watch the show cause they enjoy it, that's all there's to it...

When they realize it's going nowhere they will be dissapointed, and eventually will find enjoying the show hard.
    That's your own personal conclusion - a conclusion that the 20 years old myself disagree with, because I enjoy this never ending story for what it is, and your conclusion is certainly not one that I expect little kids to share with you

For what it is? You mean an endless cycle of rinsed and repeated storylines that will lead nowhere? The moment kids realize that, as I said, they'll be dissapointed. Realizing the truth ealier by looking into the past just speeds up the realization a little bit.
    Or you know - the kids will watch this cartoon cause they enjoy it, later some will stick to it like us and some will stop caring about it, while new kids will come in their place

Anyone and everyone that has followed or will follow this show because they wanted to see Ash's character grow and develope.
    Or... you know... some watched because they just found this cartoon entertaining and don't overanalyze stuff

This is the same Ash, his past has been reffered to, the existence of some continuity has been noted, despite being spitted at.
    No one really have to know said past continuity in order to enjoy the show, so it doesn't really matter... you can start with BW and enjoy it even without ever watching older eps

Most kids younger than 10, specially those in Japan, have a little thing called a remote. They can change their channels with it. The most basic form of seeking material from Pokemon is by changing the channel and stumbling accross episodes, which in turn trigger curiosity on the children.
    So they'll see some older eps and get excited to see Ash with different Pokémon and friends, that certainly won't cause them to go with your way of thinking of: "...wait, this is an endless story... ew don't want to watch it!"

If the show keeps going the route it is, one day, ben it Gen 6 or Gen 16, it will happen. They can only go for so long with the same crap. =/
    That's your personal opinion, cartoons can last long without really changing too much and still be successfull - see Sazae-san and others - Pokémon is similar to these

Blog Entries

You don't know that, not to mention different studios might have different "rules" about stuff like this, so throwing a general "in Japan" without any specific information is just wrong...
    Actually that is a fact. Go ask Dogasu or anyone else who follows the anime industry. In Japan, VA's who stay in the same role for years get paid much more than other actors. For example, Ash's Japanese VA right now is paid much more than either Iris or Cilan's Japanese VA's are. Team Rocket are also probably paid the same Ash is, aside from the eps they're not in now.

Actually that is a fact. Go ask Dogasu or anyone else who follows the anime industry. In Japan, VA's who stay in the same role for years get paid much more than other actors. For example, Ash's Japanese VA right now is paid much more than either Iris or Cilan's Japanese VA's are. Team Rocket are also probably paid the same Ash is, aside from the eps they're not in now.
    Maybe whoever told you that meant that, generally, actors who work for years and are very experienced, get paid more than beginner ones - that makes sense, but not your indication that every year they suddenly gets paid more for every session than the previous year
    Meh, whatever, as I said, even if you're right, that wouldn't be a reason for them to remove Ash from the show... if that wasn't a problem for the last 14 years, it shouldn't be a problem in the next 14 years either

I still wait for you or anyone else to provide a reason that may cause the writers to remove Ash from the show...

Blog Entries

Of course its true. You think Satoshi's VA is paid the same now as she was back in 1997? Of course not.

Blog Entries

Follow Bubble Frog on Tumblr

Of course its true. You think Satoshi's VA is paid the same now as she was back in 1997? Of course not.
    Why should they take the risk? What's the point of possibly shooting yourself in the foot? What reason would they want to replace Satoshi for?

pokemon fan 132 pokemon fan 132's Avatar
    Blog Entries

And the fact that he hasn't aged adds to that annoyance. When you add all that up, it shows the character hasn't progressed/ Whatever progress he had has been thrown out.

Ash being stupid and ignorant in BW could've worked, if they didn't pull the "10 year old from pallet town" card. People forget things over TIME (see writers, hang out with Dialga and Celebi so you can grasp the concept), maybe if he had aged during the time between DP and BW and during that time he hadn't stayed up with his training people would openly accept his ignorance come BW. The guy hasn't trained in a while and is in a new land! THAT makes sense.
    While it would be nice if characters could age it has been already officially confirmed in interview with ex director mr.Hidaka how Ash and other characters will never age in this show staying 10 year old forever.

References to time passing happens in pokemon anime but characters are being stuck you could say in some sort of limb not aging.

Yeah, but it's the fact that he has been "reseted" more than ever before, without any real explanation or excuse that annoys me. That's what annoys me about everything I dislike about this show. They just don't put as much effort and thought into it and just expect the viewers to accept it.
    Its more writers way of trying to mirror changes in BW games with anime than anything else being probably reason why Brock left after so much time as well.Personally im not too bothered with this and in my opinion aside from his usual rookie misplays at start of BW Ash doesnt seem nothing like rookie in his starting days being more experienced.In other words his character was toned down a bit but certainly not reset to starting point.

I suppose his tendency of forgetting things at start acting naive and immature can be applied to his eagerness being excited by traveling through new region discovering new pokemon.

By time Best Wishes passes middle of their run Ash will as usual go back to his old and experienced itself and to be honest he stopped doing some basic mistakes he did in start already showing more of his mature side.

They simply don't care about anything. So what if I'm not in the target audience? So what if the kids watching today won't be the target audience in 10 years? Atleast show some sense of respect to the story you're telling!
    With this i agree,being one oi reasons why im disappointed with disrespect and ignorance coming from writers side when it comes to previous traveling companions who got replaced acting like they didnt left any mark on Ash story and never existed in first place.

Its like all those years of Ash learning basics about pokemon,battling and strategies never happened not being given credit to his friends who helped him to grow in trainer he became over the years.
    That and tendency to activate reset button not giving more substance to his story can be frustrating too.

Like i said i dont support Ash being replaced but writers should make some more notable progress with his character(Like wining league for a change)with more connections with past being made.

Yes, yes they do. It's common sense to think that the protagonist of the current game in whatever would star in the show based on that video game. And I beg to differ, the more money those games have made come each generation, has brought in more people to play them. And now more people have realized wich actually came first.
    At the end of the day does it really matter?
    Most people who watch anime actually support Ash staying in anime not seeing need for new protagonists.Infact judging by complaints i encounter demanding return of older characters like Misty instead of series doing clean slate and complete reboot they want the opposite:more connections to past being made and references to strengthen continuity and allow all time favorites from past to shine as well.

Additionally benefit from keeping Ash lies in fact of not having to watch basically his clone starting all over again having already somewhat experienced trainer who isnt limited by lack of experienced pokemon or knowledge to have big achievements and significant gradual development which wouldnt be possible to create with rookie without making everything unbelievable and poorly written.

So they'll see some older eps and get excited to see Ash with different Pokémon and friends, that certainly won't cause them to go with your way of thinking of: "...wait, this is an endless story... ew don't want to watch it!"
    Actually Kameinu brings a really good point.Many of today kids or those who were target audience by time Sinnoh started growing out of those who matter who watched previous series are if not disappointed with way Ash character is being handled with fact how many previous traveling companions are forgotten finding unfair that they are ignored by writers side appreciating if more references to past could be provided considering how this anime is still being treated as one big continuity.

That aside its not like writers have any real reason to replace Ash still doing good being too for lack of better word essential for this show.
    In reality aside from some things being fixed about development Ash should never leave pokemon anime.HE became too iconic and marketable for this show being extremely popular and most recognized character of pokemon series.Not to mention new kids dont have problems with him as well big majority pf older fans supporting his stay so writers dont have any valid reason to replace Ash.

Replacing main character wont fix anything,and only way to change things for better is by starting fixing problems with current character with who they created them who happens to be Ash.
    What im trying to say is how its better to use someone who already has solid groundwork and backstory to work with having potential to develop more and offer new things on table than ditch halfway developed character(God knows pokemon does that quite often)just to replace him with another clone starting all over again same all story with nothing changing.
    First option also makes things easier for writers since they already have some material behind Ash character having guidelines in what direction to take him making his compared to new one with who they would have to start from scratch recreating everything.

Additionally benefit from keeping Ash lies in fact of having already somewhat experienced trainer who isnt limited by lack of experienced pokemon or knowledge to have big achievements and significant gradual development which wouldnt be possible to create with rookie without making everything unbelievable and poorly written.

Quote Originally Posted by Hidden Mew View Post
    I thought that some of the voice actors weren't able to provide their voices for DB Kai due to their health. I'm not that familiar with the Japanese cast of DB Kai, but I'm pretty sure that was the case for at least a few of the voice actors that they had to replace.
    There was some talk about possibly not being able to afford Yuji Mitsuya reprising his role as Kaioshin because he's a very expensive voice actor, but the series got canceled before getting to his introduction anyway, so it didn't matter much.

Either way, the issue was not about actors getting paid more the longer they do a role, but that big name actors cost more to hire than lesser ones. And that's hardly unique to Japan.

Yeah, but Spiderman gets rebooted, so in THAT sense he is a new character every generation.
    No, he doesn't. Stop making shit up to support your claims.
    Last edited by Adamant; 13th July 2011 at 03:48 PM.
    Bubble Frog likes this.
    So.

Page 9 of 68 FirstFirst ... 78910111959 ... LastLast