Do you think Ash/Satoshi should be replaced? - Page 8
Page 8 of 68 FirstFirst ... 6789101858 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you think Ash/Satoshi should be replaced?

Default Re: Do you think Satoshi should be replaced?

Quote Originally Posted by gotpika View Post
    Did you skip over my post? Ratings would drop because some would be turned off from the show, Satoshi and Pikachu have something called originality. People recognize him and his Pikachu older and new. When you throw in a new guy, your risking yourself and your franchises face.
    Because recognizable to old fans makes no difference if we're not the target audience and the writers don't intend any old fans to still be watching.

Little kids, again, will watch no matter who is the lead because they all just started watching the show for the first time.

Not A Piece of Cake Bubble Frog's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow Bubble Frog on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Gliscor'd View Post
    Because recognizable to old fans makes no difference if we're not the target audience and the writers don't intend any old fans to still be watching.
    Um? What are you talking about? The writers are for the here and now when it comes to the show. But, game wise Nintendo wants everyone to buy the games and other merchandise crap. So, they will often introduce there younger sibling to Pokemon and when they do that, BAM you got money. The majority of older fans don't watch the show anymore, but that doesn't mean Nintendo doesn't want them buying there crap and games. An older fan could decide to buy the game because they could be flipping through the channels and say "OH! THAT'S SATOSHI! Lol, I remember him. He's got one of those new Pokemon. I think I'll go out and buy the new game." Recognizableness is Power, being a household name means more exposure, and MORE MONEY. Pretty much every company wants to be recognizable. Mcdonalds is a recognizable brand, they wouldn't change there name to "McMarry's Burger Shack" because people will recognize there name and SPEND MONEY at there restaurant MEANING MORE MONEY.

Little kids, again, will watch no matter who is the lead because they all just started watching the show for the first time.
    But, again what's the point? Answer my question, why would they replace him? He's well known, and popular, the shows popular and it sales a lot.

BattleFanatic Eitarou's Avatar Archives StaffBulbapedia Editorial BoardModerator
    Blog Entries

Gotpika, you aren't a writer of this series, so stop acting like one.

I have to agree with Gliscor'd here...

I'm not seeing any argument there. New kids start watching every year. Ash isn't recognizable to them if they've never seen him before.

And old kids drift out. I very much doubt older fans make up even 10% of the shows total viewing population.

Not A Piece of Cake Bubble Frog's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow Bubble Frog on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Homu Homu... View Post
    Gotpika, you aren't a writer of this series, so stop acting like one.
    I never said, I was. Like Piplup said, Just because the show is still going at hyper speed and making a lot of money and it hasn't ended yet doesn't mean it should end for the sake of "Closure". It's nonsensical to expect the writers to shot themselves in the foot, just for the hell of making older anime fans online happy.

I'm not seeing any argument there. New kids start watching every year. Ash isn't recognizable to them if they've never seen him before.
    Satoshi is recognizable to older fans, thus more money for the writers. Older fans have familiarity with the show, and just like my example before with Mcdonalds. Who do you think takes the new kids there to eat? The older people who already eat there. There introducing a new chain of buyers and consumers, THUS MAKING MORE MONEY. The whole point of the show, so why would the writers give that up?
    And old kids drift out. I very much doubt older fans make up even 10% of the shows total viewing population.
    If they do that's good, if they choose not to then that's that. But, if a bunch of adults like the ones on these forums continue to buy crap from Nintedno and all the other merchandise, then that means more Money in Nintendo's, Game Freak's, and TPCi's Pockets. That's a sweet bonus for Nintendo, it's key. They want your money, that's that. Having a recognizable image is important for a company, the show is doing GREAT, one of Tv Tokyo's highest rated, High sales, and just a cut above all the rest of the Toyectic Anime, so if it's doing so great. What's the point of changing it? Please answer this.

Being old, and being tired of Satoshi and wanting "closure" isn't a good reason to want an ending.
    Last edited by Bubble Frog; 13th July 2011 at 01:27 AM.

Super Moderator Hidden Mew's Avatar Forum Head

Since we're not in the target audience, older fans most likely make up a small minority compared to the kids who and they don't intend any old fans to still be watching, I'm curious as to why you think the writers would want to give Ash's story closure. It would most likely appeal more to the people who have seen most of the other series, if not all of them, and it wouldn't really mean that much to kids, who haven't probably haven't seen all of Ash's previous journeys. The idea of replacing Ash and giving his story closure, at this point, sounds like something that could appeal more to older fans and since the writers care more about the opinions of their actual target audience, as well as money, I don't think that they'll get rid of Ash.

While I don't think that they'll ever replace Ash and I personally don't want them too, I actually don't think that it would affect the ratings for the show. At least, I don't think it would have a significant negative effect on the ratings. I'm not sure if kids are tuning into Pokemon just because Ash is still the main character. That might be attracting a lot of kids to watch the show, but I'd imagine that seeing all of the new Pokemon battling each other could appeal more to kids. I'm not even sure that changing the cast with each new Yu-Gi-Oh! and Digimon series is the reason behind their ratings getting lower over the years. Given how those series are structured, they aren't made in mind to have the same main character last anywhere near as long as Pokemon has with Ash. The ending to Digimon Adventure 02 pretty much closed the book on that universe being used for a series again, so they had to have a new cast in different universes for any future series and each series is set up for more or less 52 episodes anyway. I don't think that they could do that with Yu-Gi-Oh! either. I doubt that the original creator would want Yugi to still be the main character of every new series after the way he ended the story in the original manga and I don't think that the cast of GX could have been the faces of Yu-Gi-Oh! like Pikachu, and by extension Ash, are for Pokemon, anime wise at least for Ash. I understand why people do bring up those shows as examples, but the comparisons don't really make sense to me because of how different the structure for Pokemon is compared to those other series.

However, I still don't think that there's any financial motivation for the writers to take a risk. The merchandise, especially the games, still sell like hotcakes, the ratings still hold up and Ash has been the main character for well over a decade. Unless they have financial motivation to make a change as significant as replacing Ash, I think that he's going to stay the main character. I don't think that it's a good idea to change a main character after a over a decade anyway, especially in a marketing point of view. At least when Yu-Gi-Oh! does change their whole cast, it's around three to four years, which honestly does make more sense to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Kameinu View Post
    One day kids will get tired of this stretched for far to long "story".
    What are you talking about? When kids grow up and stop watching it, new kids "replace" them - it's what happened during the recent 14 years in case you didn't notice... and it can easily continue to happen again and again for the rest of our lives and even longer than that...

Its funny that people are trying to claim Pokemon is about Ash, when the Pokemon franchise is about the Pokemon themselves.
    On the other hand, you can't have Mario without Mario, because the series is about him. You can't have Simpsons without "The Simpsons" because the show is about the family.

Its not called, "The Ash and Pikachu show," its called Pokemon. Pokemon is about any and all trainers in the world of Pokemon.

The Pokémon anime IS about Ash, like it or not... there's a reason why the Japanese bother to tell us every ep again and again, that this is "Ash's story" (and "Ash and Dawn's story" for DP)
    Ash is the one the whole show revolves around and it's been this way for more than 14 years, 13 Movies, 700 episodes....
    Yes, Pokémon CAN exist without Ash and a brand new anime without Ash CAN be created... but that doesn't mean the writers have any intentions to do that - and most of the users here including me already explained why that's extremely unlikely to happen

Even his game counterpart Red,
    Ash is much more than "RGBY hero's anime counterpart"
    He's redesigned every gen and starts fresh with outfit that make him seem like the new games' hero (see DP outfit which was a mix of FRLG hero and DP hero, and now his BW outfit which is pretty much the same as BW games hero)
    So Ash is pretty much every gen's hero's representive in the anime (with the exception of Johto, where they series still counted as part of the original series and they didn't create a new design for him, which also happens to be the only gen that actually properly showed us the game hero... pretty much shows you how since AG and up they're totally willing to ignore the game heroes and use Ash in their place)

All the various Pokemon manga do not focus on Satoshi and Pikachu.
    The various manga who 99% of the target audience either isn't aware of or aren't interested in at all
    Pokémon is mainly a TV show and video game, third place goes to the TCG... everything else is more like "extras" for "real fans"

Little kids will watch WHOEVER is the main character! They watch for the Pokemon.
    Then again - why the Johto would the writers find it needed to change anything? They used the current main character and story for more than 14 years (and till BW's end it'll likely be 17-18 years) and everything is good...

Quote Originally Posted by Guardian of Johto View Post
    This would be like pokemon chronicles but an entire series and frankly, I really liked chronicles.
    Talking about Chronicles, I would like to remind everyone once again Richie's Chronicles eps... do we REALLY want the show to go this way? if that was a preview of what would happen in case of Ash being removed, then thanks but I'll pass... cheap boring Ash clones and TRio clones...

Why would 7 year old kids who either just started watching the anime or only been watching for like 1 year be turned off? These are new viewers. Most would have no attachment to Ash.
    With this kind of logic then, why are you suggesting replacing Ash? By your logic, Ash is a new character for the these kids, so there's no point in replacing a "new character" with a new character

Also known as Kameinu. himanuts's Avatar
    Follow himanuts On Twitter Add himanuts on Facebook Add himanuts on Google+
    Follow himanuts on Tumblr Visit himanuts's Youtube Channel

Pokemon is about any and all trainers in the world of Pokemon.
    Then where the heck are Leaf, Ethan, Brendan, Wally, Lucas, Hilbert, Hilda, Cheren, Will, Karen, Phoebe, Sydney, Glacia, Thorton, Argenta, Dahlia, Darach, Ingo and Emmet ? If they bothered to showcase other trainers, and not leave anyone behind, less people would have that assumption about Ash.

I talk to people who don't know about Pokemon. I explain to them about the games and anime. And they're like...wtf? Isn't Hilbert the main character in the new games? So..why is Ash still around? I'm like..>_> Pokemon is special..

Quote Originally Posted by Piplup View Post
    What are you talking about? When kids grow up and stop watching it, new kids "replace" them - it's what happened during the recent 14 years in case you didn't notice... and it can easily continue to happen again and again for the rest of our lives and even longer than that...
    Many kids search for what happened before. And many kids are somewhat up to date because of the reruns constatly played in Japan. Don't come at me with this crap that the kids don't care. I don't know how many of you guys actually talk to the current demographic watching this. But all kids I've met wonder, and sometimes even search for the show's past. One day they'll be so much material left behind they'll realize this show isn't worthit. That it'll go on an endless cycle since it's happened so many times in the past. Who knows when, but it's a likely possibility.

Quote Originally Posted by Piplup View Post
    Talking about Chronicles, I would like to remind everyone once again Richie's Chronicles eps... do we REALLY want the show to go this way? if that was a preview of what would happen in case of Ash being removed, then thanks but I'll pass... cheap boring Ash clones and TRio clones...
    Raikou Special and Metwo Returns. Both rather good for what this show tends to hand out. We don't need crap like the Ritchie episodes. But atleast ONCE in a generation something in the vein of Legend of Thunder would be appreciated, and would further lessen the assumption of Pokemon being about Ash. They had a nice shot in Gen 3 to promote BOTH FRLG AND Emerald, the TR kidnapped Rayquaza and both Leaf and Brendan being unused. If they played around with what they neglect or ignore in the main anime, they can come up with awesome materials for one shot specials.

Quote Originally Posted by Piplup
    With this kind of logic then, why are you suggesting replacing Ash? By your logic, Ash is a new character for the these kids, so there's no point in replacing a "new character" with a new character
    How is he a new character? Just about half the world knows who Ash is. It's like saying Spiderman is new to kids today. He's always been there. Just getting exposed to him is the new thing. And he isn't new if the Japanese kids are already exposed to older episodes.

You guys all act like the kiddies start watching come a new Gen and that's all they'll. God, it's common sense to seek out some older material if there is, specially if it's easily attained like by just changing the channel, and oh my! DP is on! o_O

For when I said chronicles, I meant more of the episodes with "Jimmy" those IMHO were good
    FCs: Heart Gold: 1892-8730-9569; White: 1549-4836-0020

Why do you keep bringing up ratings? LMAO, the show would do exactly the same in terms of ratings with any other main character.

Little kids will watch WHOEVER is the main character! They watch for the Pokemon.
    The show would do well with any main character? Not 100% sure, but let's just assume that it will.

New MC:
    - must find a decent way to suddenly (yes, doing it after 16-17 years, 4 series and 5 cast changes is sudden) bye-bye Ash after BW, ergo nothing less than than doing well in the Champion League and maybe even win. And that's only one series after DP, in which he was pretty much destroyed by every single Elite Four member
    - must create of one more new character design than necessary, which means that all footage must be created from scratch (see how a lot of Ash's poses and movements resemble templates provided by previous series)
    - must construct new background story, including thinking of a reason why the MC's main Pokémon is Pikachu, which is not native to region X
    - must think of new quirks/speech patterns
    - must hire new voice actors for MC & any family members, as they definitely won't reuse VAs for important characters

Ash:
    - can reuse plenty of footage, create new footage with minimal effort
    - can keep voice actor(s)
    - can keep background
    - can keep special character traits
    - can keep almost everything, basically

...with the SAME result in terms of ratings and freshness for the target audience (hint: no, not us). I don't know about you, but if I were the head writer, I'd know which option I'd pick.

In a place.... Where the Rent is Too Damn High
    Blog Entries

Even though Pokemon is about Pokemon themselves, Pikachu is still the centerpiece of the company itself, and with him comes Ash.

And the shows doing fine. No changes are necessary in the view of the company.
    I just ate my breakfastlunchndinner

I can afford a roof over my head

I do not pay rent
    And my Vote Belongs to Jimmy McMillan
    For PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES.

BECAUSE THE RENT IS TOO DAMN HIGH!
    AND THE WEATHER IS ALSO TOO DAMN COLD! RITDHP FTW!

Quote Originally Posted by Kameinu View Post
    I talk to people who don't know about Pokemon. I explain to them about the games and anime. And they're like...wtf? Isn't Hilbert the main character in the new games? So..why is Ash still around? I'm like..>_> Pokemon is special..
    What?... people who aren't interested in Pokémon talk about Hilbert? Most of these people will probably react like "oh, I remember Ash and Pikachu" to anyone mentioning Pokémon... a lot of them might not even be aware of the fact Pokémon started as video games and view it mainly as a cartoon

Many kids search for what happened before.
    So? It doesn't mean they'll somehow randomly decide to stop enjoying the current series and games just because they'll find out about the older ones... that makes no sense at all

One day they'll be so much material left behind they'll realize this show isn't worthit.
    Why? This is a random statement that makes no sense at all
    Most of the target audience will just enjoy the show for what it is, watch the eps that air on TV, won't think too much about stuff and that's it
    Some of the older ones might go deeper into it and search stuff on the internet and might find older eps/games/whatever, right... but so what? it won't change anything about them watching the current series or play the current games

That it'll go on an endless cycle since it's happened so many times in the past.
    And whoever decided that's a bad thing?... Pokémon is a never ending story - enjoy it for what it is or just don't watch it... fact is, new kids will always keep getting into the show, even if you think that for some crazy reason they'll stop enjoying it when they'll find out about its past

ONCE in a generation something in the vein of Legend of Thunder would be appreciated, and would further lessen the assumption of Pokemon being about Ash.
    How? A rare one-shot episode/movie won't change the fact Ash IS the Pokémon anime's main character

If they played around with what they neglect or ignore in the main anime, they can come up with awesome materials for one shot specials.
    Wether using these characters and ideas can be nice or not, have nothing to do with Ash being replaced... they could feature said characters/plots if they wanted to do so - it's not like Ash is preventing this stuff from happening... the only thing he "prevents" is the game hero to enter the cast, but as I said he's pretty much the representive of the new game hero of every gen, so stuff would hardly be any difference if, say, Lucas were the star of DP instead of Ash - most of the DP series would probably still play out exactly the same way it did...

How is he a new character?
    I said that to Scott who said new kids won't care about Ash being repalced by a new character because they don't know him and aren't attached to him - so with Scott's logic, Ash IS a "new character" for these kids and therefore it makes no sense at all to replace a "new character" with a new character

Just about half the world knows who Ash is.
    Which is one of many reasons why the writers aren't likely to do the ridiculous decision of removing him from the show

It's like saying Spiderman is new to kids today.
    Well, Spiderman IS a new thing for every kid who happens to watch it for the first time in his life and gets excited of the show despite of YOU viewing it as "same old character, same old story, isn't interesting" - to said kid it's fresh and exciting - and it DOES work similary with Pokémon too

it's common sense to seek out some older material if there is,
    Most kids younger than 10 would probably never even try to "seek older material"
    The older ones: some won't care (because no, not everyone who likes Pokémon is a crazy fan who goes on the internet and search stuff), some will care and search stuff and so will learn about Poké's past - something that isn't likely to cause them to randomly stop enjoying it like you seem will happen

I'm surprised that people haven't read the interview WPM from Pokebeach had with the director of the anime, Matsumoto Hidaka. WPM asked him if Satoshi will ever be replaced and he said "no. never". Also he clearly said that the last episode of pokemon will be with Satoshi becoming a pokemon master.

So the "think" in the title actually is just an opinion of something that already has an official answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Sushi View Post
    New MC:
    - must find a decent way to suddenly (yes, doing it after 16-17 years, 4 series and 5 cast changes is sudden) bye-bye Ash after BW, ergo nothing less than than doing well in the Champion League and maybe even win. And that's only one series after DP, in which he was pretty much destroyed by every single Elite Four member
    I don't see why this cannot be accomplished.

- must create of one more new character design than necessary, which means that all footage must be created from scratch (see how a lot of Ash's poses and movements resemble templates provided by previous series)
    What are they reusing? Almost all those old Ash/Pikachu stock footage isn't used anymore to begin with.

-
    must construct new background story, including thinking of a reason why the MC's main Pokémon is Pikachu, which is not native to region X
    - must think of new quirks/speech patterns
    - must hire new voice actors for MC & any family members, as they definitely won't reuse VAs for important characters
    LOL, as if they don't already do this for every new main character that comes every saga. By this logic why did they get rid of Brock? They had to do all this for Dento, my goodness, what work!

Ash:
    - can keep voice actor(s)
    The longer a VA stays, the more they have to pay them.

...with the SAME result in terms of ratings and freshness for the target audience (hint: no, not us). I don't know about you, but if I were the head writer, I'd know which option I'd pick.
    Its not fresh because no matter what, the writers still bring up events from past sagas from time to time. BW will probably do the same later on.

I don't see why this cannot be accomplished.
    The real question is - WHY would they want to do that?
    It CAN happen, yet it will NOT happen, because they have no reason to do it
    You're still repeating yourself and avoiding answering what me and others ask: WHY do it? You might want it to happen, but why would the writers do it? from their point of view, what reason they have to want to remove Ash after all these years?

The longer a VA stays, the more they have to pay them.
    You don't know that
    Usually, VAs are paid according to how long their session is or their amount of lines, not according to how long they did that role...

Its not fresh because no matter what, the writers still bring up events from past sagas from time to time. BW will probably do the same later on.
    So? It's still totally fresh even if they sometimes mention past events... and even if you'd replace Ash with Hilbert in BW, I honestly doubt ANYTHING would be different other than the face of Ash being now the face of Hilbert
    Also, funny to hear that from you, since you always insist on saying BW is a "reboot"

Page 8 of 68 FirstFirst ... 6789101858 ... LastLast