Do you think Ash/Satoshi should be replaced? - Page 62

Page 62 of 68 FirstFirst ... 12526061626364 ... LastLast
Like Tree359Likes

Thread: Do you think Ash/Satoshi should be replaced?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Do you think Ash/Satoshi should be replaced?

How do you think that Satoshi and Pikachu is now replaceable when NOW the merchandise producers to obtain money need Pochama!!!! toys to help the franchise? Yes, I said Pochama because the toys companies want to find a place in the marketing listings for Pochama to appear in the toys since older pokemon were allowed again in merch.

This is a pokemon whose owner (considering that they are promoting Hikari's Pochama) and the pokemon itself only appeared in 9 of the 50+ episodes of the BW 2 Series. And this is from a pokemon that debuted in 2006, with a Gen IV starter and whose trainer is exactly the female protagonist of the DP games!!!!

And there's the issue that each time is more likely that the members of Team Rocket, Musashi, Kojirou and Nyasu are returning to have the ... OS/AG/DP perosnalities!!!!

If you think that Satoshi, after 16 years, is replaceable for another character, I don't know what I think of you.

It's obvious that the writers will prefer to reset Satoshi (calm, probably not in XY) than to leave him. The maximum that I see is sightly aging Ash but there's very unlikely.

And I have a very clear opinion about Ash and you (the users):
    -If you hate Ash/Satoshi and/or Pikachu*, you should quit the Pokemon show off and not post in serious forums like here, Serebii and other serious sites. Specially the subforums that deals with the Pokemon show. I understand the hating of some rival but I can't accept a clear hate in the Pokemon anime forums to the main star of the show.

I think that this place is for discuss things witht the fans of the show, not with the haters of the show.

*And in the time of DP that also applied if you hated Hikari/Dawn.
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> GO, GO, GO, <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

I want to start with XY as soon as is possible.

I have unpopular opinions: I prefer an older character returning but it isn't from the original trio. I was one of the few who liked both DP and BW. And I think that TR shouldn't leave in the anime.

Blog Entries

Follow Yato on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Hidden Mew View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Blueberry View Post
    But I don't see why they should keep Ash when they're practically downgrading him to the point of hurting the show. Nothing's too late, and trying out new things are more than welcome. Episode N was a new arc concept to the series - the show had never dedicated a full saga to a single character that's not Ash, and the villains around him. That was also a new thing they were trying out - and they were willing to risk it. People had thought that it would be impossible to bring in a Team Plasma story ever since the earthquake happened as there would be 'no point' in doing that - moreover, doing it after the league felt much too late, as people assumed there would be no story to cover, and nothing to do. This was before B2W2 was announced, and a lot of people had been negative on TP's appearance. Yet, the show did it, regardless of the outcome.
    While they are trying something new with Episode N, I don't think that makes the idea of replacing Ash more of a possibility. Episode N is something new, but Ash is still focused on in the saga and in all of the promotional material for the saga. Replacing Ash and having a saga focused on the evil team doesn't really feel like it's on the same level.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Blueberry
    There's no telling what might happen. If the show is willing to take a chance - to completely reboot the show and create an entirely new atmosphere by replacing Ash with a new character, I don't see why they shouldn't do that. The show will always focus on the new kids, and the new kids don't exactly need Ash to enjoy the show. New tries are never too late, and the new character could be easily popular as Ash in a different way. If the writers are creative enough, they can make a character that's different from Ash with a different quest - there can be many different ways to write the show while bringing traits from the game. The new character can be iconic - or even more popular than Ash some 10 years later as well. There's no telling what might happen. The results could be negative, but they could also be more than positive. All possibilities should be considered.
    I still don't see any reason for them to take that risk. Technically, they could do that since they're the writers, but why would they want to take the risk of replacing the main character who has been promoted with the anime for the last sixteen years? It could turn out fine, but it could also blow up right in their faces, so I don't see why they would take a risk that huge. There's no guarantee that the new character would be as popular as Ash or even more popular and while each series does try out new things, I just don't think that's a possibility at this point at all. I can completely understand why people want Ash to be replaced, but from a marketing and financial standpoint, I see no reason why the writers would do that. They've had plenty of opportunities to do so over the years, but they never showed any interest in replacing him and after keeping him around for well over a decade, they aren't going to replace him.
    Likewise, keeping Ash could only hurt the show further. I'm pretty sure no one will say that Best Wishes Ash was so epic, so awesome, a role model, and the children's hero? Even a young kid can tell how ruined he ended up.

The question is: Do they really want to keep Ash, insulting the iconic boy with horrible writing, with no major wins, poor development, and permanent "loser"? Is that what they want - feeding the children images of Ash gettong worse? We can't expect them to pull a DP-or-AG-developing Ash anymore because they shown every good thing about him already. I wouldn't be surprised if Ash gets only worse than now. Episode N is helping due to N and Charizard's popularity and the good plot - but this won't hold up once this is over.

Giving the iconic boy a heroic sendoff aeems to be the right thing to do without tarnishing his reputation any further. He doesn't need to be sacrificed to bad writing of recycling anymore.

Just because it seems too late to do it now doesn't mean they can't do it. Gen 6 could be the new start of everything. Completely sever ties with all the past and start new - focusing on the new generation of children. The new kids don't need Ash in the show anyways.

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

But I don't see why they should keep Ash when they're practically downgrading him to the point of hurting the show. Nothing's too late, and trying out new things are more than welcome. Episode N was a new arc concept to the series - the show had never dedicated a full saga to a single character that's not Ash, and the villains around him. That was also a new thing they were trying out - and they were willing to risk it. People had thought that it would be impossible to bring in a Team Plasma story ever since the earthquake happened as there would be 'no point' in doing that - moreover, doing it after the league felt much too late, as people assumed there would be no story to cover, and nothing to do. This was before B2W2 was announced, and a lot of people had been negative on TP's appearance. Yet, the show did it, regardless of the outcome.
    While they are trying something new with Episode N, I don't think that makes the idea of replacing Ash more of a possibility. Episode N is something new, but Ash is still focused on in the saga and in all of the promotional material for the saga. Replacing Ash and having a saga focused on the evil team doesn't really feel like it's on the same level.

There's no telling what might happen. If the show is willing to take a chance - to completely reboot the show and create an entirely new atmosphere by replacing Ash with a new character, I don't see why they shouldn't do that. The show will always focus on the new kids, and the new kids don't exactly need Ash to enjoy the show. New tries are never too late, and the new character could be easily popular as Ash in a different way. If the writers are creative enough, they can make a character that's different from Ash with a different quest - there can be many different ways to write the show while bringing traits from the game. The new character can be iconic - or even more popular than Ash some 10 years later as well. There's no telling what might happen. The results could be negative, but they could also be more than positive. All possibilities should be considered.
    I still don't see any reason for them to take that risk. Technically, they could do that since they're the writers, but why would they want to take the risk of replacing the main character who has been promoted with the anime for the last sixteen years? It could turn out fine, but it could also blow up right in their faces, so I don't see why they would take a risk that huge. There's no guarantee that the new character would be as popular as Ash or even more popular and while each series does try out new things, I just don't think that's a possibility at this point at all. I can completely understand why people want Ash to be replaced, but from a marketing and financial standpoint, I see no reason why the writers would do that. They've had plenty of opportunities to do so over the years, but they never showed any interest in replacing him and after keeping him around for well over a decade, they aren't going to replace him.
    Likewise, keeping Ash could only hurt the show further. I'm pretty sure no one will say that Best Wishes Ash was so epic, so awesome, a role model, and the children's hero? Even a young kid can tell how ruined he ended up.

The question is: Do they really want to keep Ash, insulting the iconic boy with horrible writing, with no major wins, poor development, and permanent "loser"? Is that what they want - feeding the children images of Ash gettong worse? We can't expect them to pull a DP-or-AG-developing Ash anymore because they shown every good thing about him already. I wouldn't be surprised if Ash gets only worse than now. Episode N is helping due to N and Charizard's popularity and the good plot - but this won't hold up once this is over.

Giving the iconic boy a heroic sendoff aeems to be the right thing to do without tarnishing his reputation any further. He doesn't need to be sacrificed to bad writing of recycling anymore.

Just because it seems too late to do it now doesn't mean they can't do it. Gen 6 could be the new start of everything. Completely sever ties with all the past and start new - focusing on the new generation of children. The new kids don't need Ash in the show anyways.
    I feel they've kept Ash along for too long myself. To me, he's not even the same character anymore. He just comes as really flat and 1D sometimes, always cheerful with a smile on his face: almost like he faces no real struggles to overcome, or challenges to face with the strength of his friends (until Episode N, anyway, which turned things around nicely in that regard). In the dub, neither him nor Team Rocket have the same appeal they used to in my eyes, either. They just feel dragged out, worn out, and boring more than half the time they're there.

Honestly, I think Ash/Satoshi should be replaced. It's never going to happen, but I wish he would be replaced. He never gets anywhere, he does the same thing over and over again, and as of BW, he's even managed to regress from where he was in the prior league. That's just sad in a way. Considering how poorly developed his team has been in BW in terms of strength, it's not a surprise, but I don't like what occurred either myself. Very frustrating character to deal with these days. I mean, he's hilarious in BW, I crack smiles with his mannerisms...however, it feels like he's just there to BE there now.
    Sakuraa, FANG-TAN and Yato like this.

Moderator Hidden Mew's Avatar Forum Head

Is there any guarantee that they would handle a new lead character any better in terms of writing? Whose to say that they wouldn't handle him in the same way they're handling Ash now. A clean slate doesn't necessarily mean that the writing would improve.

It is too late. Sixteen years is a long time. What other shows that have had the same main character around for that long have replaced their main lead? They had that same excuse with the fifth generation considering how they hyped Unova as being far away from all of the other regions, it only had new Pokemon and the games themselves were almost like a reboot to the video games in the sense of going back to basics. They didn't take it then and I doubt that the sixth generation will be any different in that regard. The kids may not need Ash in the show, but he is an iconic lead, used in ads for the show and he's just been around far too long for the idea of being replaced actually being possible. The writers have no reason to take this risk.

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

Is there any guarantee that they would handle a new lead character any better in terms of writing? Whose to say that they wouldn't handle him in the same way they're handling Ash now. A clean slate doesn't necessarily mean that the writing would improve.

It is too late. Sixteen years is a long time. What other shows that have had the same main character around for that long have replaced their main lead? They had that same excuse with the fifth generation considering how they hyped Unova as being far away from all of the other regions, it only had new Pokemon and the games themselves were almost like a reboot to the video games in the sense of going back to basics. They didn't take it then and I doubt that the sixth generation will be any different in that regard. The kids may not need Ash in the show, but he is an iconic lead, used in ads for the show and he's just been around far too long for the idea of being replaced actually being possible. The writers have no reason to take this risk.
    The thing is, you're completely right. Satoshi is too well-established character after 16 years to replace him in JPN. Even in the US, that's the case for Ash Ketchum as well. I myself strongly wish he was not on the series anymore, but I can definitely understand why they'd want to keep him. He's an iconic character, and replacing him could spell doom for the creators of the anime series. I wish they would try to go outside their shell and experiment with an alternative, but the repercussions could be deadly if so. The anime's targeted towards children as it always has been, so he's not going anywhere. *sigh*

Will Rip Titles 4 Money speedingbulletbill's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow speedingbulletbill On Twitter Add speedingbulletbill on Facebook Add speedingbulletbill on Google+ Add speedingbulletbill on MySpace
    Add speedingbulletbill on Linkedin Follow speedingbulletbill on Tumblr Follow speedingbulletbill on Flickr Visit speedingbulletbill's Youtube Channel

I agree with Pokemon fan 132.

I've also lost all faith in the writers.

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by stickerstaryoshi View Post
    I agree with Pokemon fan 132.

I've also lost all faith in the writers.
    Me too. That's the only reason why I want Ash and TRio to leave the show. I've lost all faith in the writers as well.
    GurahkWeavile likes this.

Blog Entries

Follow Yato on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by SonGoku View Post

The thing is, you're completely right. Satoshi is too well-established character after 16 years to replace him in JPN. Even in the US, that's the case for Ash Ketchum as well. I myself strongly wish he was not on the series anymore, but I can definitely understand why they'd want to keep him. He's an iconic character, and replacing him could spell doom for the creators of the anime series. I wish they would try to go outside their shell and experiment with an alternative, but the repercussions could be deadly if so. The anime's targeted towards children as it always has been, so he's not going anywhere. *sigh*
    Keeping him could spell doom for the writers as well.

Another question is: Is there any guarantee that they would NOT mess up Ash like they did in Best Wishes if they kept him? Is there any guarantee that the kids will still love Ash?

Ash being iconic here isn't the problem - I admit, it's the writers that need replacing. But just as Hidden Mew said there's no guarantee that the new character would be any better, there's no guarantee that Ash won't get any worse.

They've kept him around for sixteen years and they haven't really suffered financially, which is going to count more than the quality of writing for a show like Pokemon. So, I don't see how keeping Ash around is going to spell doom for the writers.

Another question is: Is there any guarantee that they would NOT mess up Ash like they did in Best Wishes if they kept him? Is there any guarantee that the kids will still love Ash?

Ash being iconic here isn't the problem - I admit, it's the writers that need replacing. But just as Hidden Mew said there's no guarantee that the new character would be any better, there's no guarantee that Ash won't get any worse.
    There's no guarantee that they wouldn't mess up with Ash's character like they did in BW, but I don't think that's ground enough for the writers to replace him. That does add into another reason why I understand why some fans want to replace him, but that's not really enough for the writers. There would need to be a more financial reason for them to even consider doing that at this point, which I highly doubt they're going to get. I don't think that replacing the writers would be a solution, at least necessary. That would probably just lead to new problems with people just trying to get used to the characters and the show in general.

Blog Entries

Follow Yato on Tumblr

They've kept him around for sixteen years and they haven't really suffered financially, which is going to count more than the quality of writing for a show like Pokemon. So, I don't see how keeping Ash around is going to spell doom for the writers.

There's no guarantee that they wouldn't mess up with Ash's character like they did in BW, but I don't think that's ground enough for the writers to replace him. That does add into another reason why I understand why some fans want to replace him, but that's not really enough for the writers. There would need to be a more financial reason for them to even consider doing that at this point, which I highly doubt they're going to get. I don't think that replacing the writers would be a solution, at least necessary. That would probably just lead to new problems with people just trying to get used to the characters and the show in general.
    Everybody was surprised when the writers announced the debut of N - when people thought it was impossible by then. People doubted Cheren would ever appear - but he appeared anyways to everyone's surprise. There's no telling what they might ACTUALLY be planning. It's not as if we're the writers themselves. Who knows what might happen...unless you personally work for the anime and you know they already decided for good that Ash is never going to leave the show for a million years? XDD

Blog Entries

Tbh they should have had a girl trainer who did the normal gym battles, while Ash having won a normal league did some master league competitions. Having Ash reboot to nub status was kind of a fail.

Everybody was surprised when the writers announced the debut of N - when people thought it was impossible by then. People doubted Cheren would ever appear - but he appeared anyways to everyone's surprise. There's no telling what they might ACTUALLY be planning. It's not as if we're the writers themselves. Who knows what might happen...unless you personally work for the anime and you know they already decided for good that Ash is never going to leave the show for a million years? XDD
    Again, the debut of N and Cheren in the anime isn't really on par with the idea of replacing Ash. Throwing in characters from the video games near the end of the series is one thing, but replacing the main character whose been the main focus of every series for well over a decade is something else entirely. I'm fully aware that we're not the writers and no, I obviously don't work for the anime. However, I still don't see any reason as to why they would want to replace Ash. Just saying its possible because of the writers have done some unexpected stuff isn't really enough since they tend to try out a lot of new things with each series and that's a weak argument at best to me anyway. Saying that there's no telling what they might actually be planning doesn't work either when they've showed no interest in replacing Ash for ages when they had a ton of chances to do so.

Replacing Ash would be something I highly doubt that they would be interested in doing because it doesn't make any sense from a marketing or financial stand point. Why get rid of an iconic lead character who has been the main focus of each series for sixteen years? The new main character might not be well received well and could easily suffer from poor writing like Ash has anyway, which would make the change pointless in a sense. Ash is still used for marketing purposes for the anime and most importantly, the merchandise is still selling. There's no reason for the writers to take a risk that huge. Plus, how many other shows have replaced their main leads after using them for over a decade and have still been generally successful afterwards? Ash is going to stick around for every series because it has been about his journey with Pikachu, their Pokemon and the friends they meet along the way from day one. There isn't any reason for me to believe that Ash being replaced is an actual possibility. I still understand why fans would want him to leave and personally, I wouldn't lose sleep if they did replace Ash, but there's just no chance of Ash being replaced after being around for sixteen years.

Blog Entries

Follow Yato on Tumblr

Again, the debut of N and Cheren in the anime isn't really on par with the idea of replacing Ash. Throwing in characters from the video games near the end of the series is one thing, but replacing the main character whose been the main focus of every series for well over a decade is something else entirely. I'm fully aware that we're not the writers and no, I obviously don't work for the anime. However, I still don't see any reason as to why they would want to replace Ash. Just saying its possible because of the writers have done some unexpected stuff isn't really enough since they tend to try out a lot of new things with each series and that's a weak argument at best to me anyway. Saying that there's no telling what they might actually be planning doesn't work either when they've showed no interest in replacing Ash for ages when they had a ton of chances to do so.

Replacing Ash would be something I highly doubt that they would be interested in doing because it doesn't make any sense from a marketing or financial stand point. Why get rid of an iconic lead character who has been the main focus of each series for sixteen years? The new main character might not be well received well and could easily suffer from poor writing like Ash has anyway, which would make the change pointless in a sense. Ash is still used for marketing purposes for the anime and most importantly, the merchandise is still selling. There's no reason for the writers to take a risk that huge. Plus, how many other shows have replaced their main leads after using them for over a decade and have still been generally successful afterwards? Ash is going to stick around for every series because it has been about his journey with Pikachu, their Pokemon and the friends they meet along the way from day one. There isn't any reason for me to believe that Ash being replaced is an actual possibility. I still understand why fans would want him to leave and personally, I wouldn't lose sleep if they did replace Ash, but there's just no chance of Ash being replaced after being around for sixteen years.
    How can you be so sure? You obviously said yourself you don't work for the anime. Are you 100% sure that there will be absolutely no chance that Ash will never leave the show? Did the director or heck whoever's in charge of the anime actually said that in an official interview? Because we can't be sure of anything at this point, and all possibilities can be considered valid. Ash could stay - but Ash could leave. Either of them can happen - unless you really really have something you want to tell us some classified information directly from the Pokemon Anime Co. ?

How can you be so sure? You obviously said yourself you don't work for the anime. Are you 100% sure that there will be absolutely no chance that Ash will never leave the show? Did the director or heck whoever's in charge of the anime actually said that in an official interview? Because we can't be sure of anything at this point, and all possibilities can be considered valid. Ash could stay - but Ash could leave. Either of them can happen - unless you really really have something you want to tell us some classified information directly from the Pokemon Anime Co. ?
    I'm so sure that Ash won't be replaced because it wouldn't make any sense to replace a main character after sixteen years. I don't need to be involved with the anime to be so sure that they wouldn't take a risk this huge. Why would they replace an iconic lead after using him for well over a decade with a new character that may not be received well? I don't see how Ash leaving is even an actual possibility at this point. There is no evidence that could be used for that other than just saying it's a possibility and that anything can happen, both of which aren't good enough for me when from a marketing and financial standpoint, it doesn't sound possible at all. I don't think that you need to have inside information from the anime staff to be one hundred percent sure that Ash will never leave. Each series has been his story, he is an iconic lead, he is used for marketing the anime and the merchandise is still selling well. There's nothing there that indicates that Ash leaving is a possibility.

Though, there was an interview from a few years ago with someone who was involved with the anime that said Ash and Pikachu would never leave the show. It was the same interview that revealed why they dropped the GS Ball subplot. I don't think that he's involved with the anime now, but either way, I don't see any reason as to why they would replace Ash after this long when they've had multiple chances to do so in the past and never took advantage of them.
    pokemon fan 132 likes this.

Blog Entries

Follow Yato on Tumblr

Though, there was an interview from a few years ago with someone who was involved with the anime that said Ash and Pikachu would never leave the show. It was the same interview that revealed why they dropped the GS Ball subplot.
    Swell. That's actual proof. I guess there is no point in arguing that Ash might leave the show. Alright, you win.

Page 62 of 68 FirstFirst ... 12526061626364 ... LastLast