Do you think Ash/Satoshi should be replaced? - Page 56

Page 56 of 68 FirstFirst ... 646545556575866 ... LastLast
Like Tree359Likes

Thread: Do you think Ash/Satoshi should be replaced?

Registered User The Fighting Misty's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Do you think Ash/Satoshi should be replaced?

I think he should be replaced because his character hasn't been interesting since DP ended. If Ash had been wrapped up at the end of DP, assuming they allowed him to win the league and challenge the Elite 4 back in that saga, I would be perfectly content with that being the end of him.

Ash's story won't end with him becoming a definite master anyway, most likely the last episode will show Ash set off on a new journey that we never see. Its not like he'll ever stop traveling.

Follow MikaelDerp On Twitter

I couldn't see Pokemon continuing without Ash. For a few reasons, one being what would the new protagonists goal be? To become a Pokemon Master? That would just be a literal reboot of the series, leaving Ash and co. to be forgotten.

Two being, they would have to find a stable transition from Ash unto the new protagonist. Like Ash would need to become a Pokemon Master, as well as explaining his role as a Master, which would end his journey. But since this is Ash we're talking about, he isn't one to just sit around in an office all day, he'd be continuing his travels as well as maturing to a whole new level.

Three being apart of of #2, would Ash be referenced by the new protagonist, or would it be set in the far future with an almost entirely new focus on the Pokemon World?

Basically to me, it seems like it would take a very large effort on Nintendo/ThePokeCompany to create a new protagonist, a new plot line, while at the same time staying true to the Pokemon form.

I love Ash, I've grown up with him, watched his mistakes, his triumphs, his most cringe-worthy moments, and to see all of his journey gone to waste would be a disaster.
    So my answer is no, Keep Ash. And if you'd like make a side series along with it.
    pokemon fan 132 likes this.

Registered User The Fighting Misty's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MikaelDerp View Post
    I couldn't see Pokemon continuing without Ash. For a few reasons, one being what would the new protagonists goal be? To become a Pokemon Master? That would just be a literal reboot of the series, leaving Ash and co. to be forgotten.
    And the problem with that is...? We've seen two coordinators on the main cast, another main character doing Gyms on his own quest wouldn't be odd.

Two being, they would have to find a stable transition from Ash unto the new protagonist. Like Ash would need to become a Pokemon Master, as well as explaining his role as a Master, which would end his journey. But since this is Ash we're talking about, he isn't one to just sit around in an office all day, he'd be continuing his travels as well as maturing to a whole new level.
    No they don't. I could see Ash losing to Cynthia at the end of a Champion league and still being written off. The story is about the journey, not the end goal. Ash is never going to become a master at the age of 10, his story will be left open like other characters.

Three being apart of of #2, would Ash be referenced by the new protagonist, or would it be set in the far future with an almost entirely new focus on the Pokemon World?
    What's wrong with this? Ash could make recurring cameos but still be phased out.

Basically to me, it seems like it would take a very large effort on Nintendo/ThePokeCompany to create a new protagonist, a new plot line, while at the same time staying true to the Pokemon form.
    How on earth would this be any different than what they do every new series anyway? The writers bring in new main characters, new rivals, and new Pokemon every saga. What difference would it be to see some other kid in Ash's place with his own travel companions? There's no big "trial" to overcome.
    Phoenixphlare likes this.

pokemon fan 132 pokemon fan 132's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gliscor'd View Post

And the problem with that is...? We've seen two coordinators on the main cast, another main character doing Gyms on his own quest wouldn't be odd.
    But if new protagonist would be doing gyms all over again, whats the point in replacing Ash than? Might as well continue on with him doing sequel to his story, by going on bigger and better things. We all know winning league wont make you pokemon master, so its not like writers can't continue Ash story after he wins one tournament.

Also i don't think coordinator situation is comparable with Ash's. They weren't driving force of pokemon like Ash is, with anime not being centered around them. Its easier to replace them than main star of this show, which has been part of it for 15 years becoming integrated into show.

Not to mention i doubt people will accept exchange of main protagonists after every 4 years, just to see another character doing gyms, winning league and leave cast afterwards?
    Fact that many fans got sick from contests after just one generation and half says alot. Only reason why they aren't sick from Ash and gyms is because generations of fans grew up with one hero deciding to invest into character since he is the only one guaranteed to stay, following long term journey and wanting to see him go on bigger and better things.

No they don't. I could see Ash losing to Cynthia at the end of a Champion league and still being written off. The story is about the journey, not the end goal. Ash is never going to become a master at the age of 10, his story will be left open like other characters.
    Iris became champion at age of 12, so age argument doesn't hold much weight when it comes to pokemon and fulfillment of someone dreams.

While its true that other characters didn't achieved their dreams, most of them were replaced in way which served as indicator of coming close to their goals making further progress(except Misty which just went back to gym randomly, or Max who didn't even started journey).

With Ash, problem is that winning one league and battling Cynthia, just to be replaced afterwards wont bring his character close toward pokemon master goal still being left on very vague note. Lucian himself stated in DP how champion league is only one step someone needs to make on road of becoming pokemon master which would still leave Ash story completely open, not providing satisfying closure and indication of character growing forward since whole master thing will leave several unanswered questions not being revealed in what way someone can accomplish this dream.

At least with May or Dawn we know what it means becoming top coordinator, with Brock we know how can someone become doctor, with Misty being E4 is basically best one type trainer, while with Iris it requires to own powerful dragon types learning how to understand them fully being exceptionally strong trainer.

With Ash we only know how becoming pokemon master means becoming best trainer in world, but how can someone achieve this and what steps are required to overcome except champion league, are still left completely unanswered.

Until Ash goal doesn't get more explained with character coming enough close to it, and replaced in way which would point out how he is making further progress entering steps needed to become master one day in future he wont be ready to leave show.

Also considering how much money and effort writers and producers invested in Ash character over the years, makes it likely how they have bigger plan for him than its case with other characters which were replaced. Or people forgot what Masamitsu Hidaka said in his interview, about Ash not becoming pokemon master until show ends.

That's confirmation right there.

How on earth would this be any different than what they do every new series anyway? The writers bring in new main characters, new rivals, and new Pokemon every saga. What difference would it be to see some other kid in Ash's place with his own travel companions? There's no big "trial" to overcome.
    Except they would lose anime icon and driving force which became most recognized main character in world, attracting millions of new fans with each new generation toward anime and to buy merchandize products. Name Ash became synonym for pokemon to majority of fans worldwide, he already build reputation and earned its place in this show with generations and generations growing up with him,being used to main hero.

Replace Ash and you will loose solidified and established main face of pokemon series, someone who brings identity to them.

New protagonist wont have any reputation or iconic status among fans, there will be no brend build over him with company losing reliable source of money and familiar face with who people could associate pokemon series being hooked on it.

On large part reason is Pikachu as well, with Ash and yellow mouse being viewed as irreplaceable duo of pokemon which helps Tv show popularity.

There is also enormous popularity which Ash and Pikachu enjoys, and im pretty sure there would happen big decline in ratings if writers replace Ash after 15 years just to bring in watered down version of Ash character doing same quest and having same personality as current hero has. That's not recipe to attract, but to alineate viewers.

Ash brings money and popularity to pokemon series, he attracts new fans toward anime with majority of watchers enjoying in his adventures and there is left a lot of room to do much more with character. There is no reason to get rid of him.

One of things which make pokemon unique compared to other shows like Digimon, Yugioh etc is because this is anime with continuity, following journey of one main hero, giving us references tom past and older companions being treated as one big adventure. That's one of main reasons why so many older fans aside from new kids still follow show, its because they grew up with it enjoying in adventure of main protagonist and new places and challenges he discovers as long as possible.

Pokemon anime should be treated like DBZ was, One Piece or Naruto following journey of one main hero and his friends, ding build up on Ash story going forward instead of replacing him and destroying appeal and uniqueness this show has compared to other anime.
    We don't need multiple versions of pokemon series with ton of different protagonists, because long term journey of one character and anime set in same timeline and universe being imbued with continuity is more exciting to follow with surprisingly big popularity even after 15v years confirming that.
    Last edited by pokemon fan 132; 3rd August 2012 at 06:11 AM.

Blog Entries

Instead of being replaced, Ash should be allowed to evolve. Let him win a majorleague tournament, and then for his next journey, he should join up with a rookie starting his/her own badge-collecting journey. This way, Ash can be the mentor for the rookie instead of needing a mentor.
    Caseydia likes this.
    You Might Be A Redneck If...

You think The Nutcracker is something you did off the high dive.
    You've ever smuggled food out of an all-you-can-eat buffet.
    The original color of your carpet is an unsolved mystery.
    You've had more court dates than second dates.
    The closest you've come to royalty is eating at Burger King.
    You've ever stared at a carton of orange juice because it said "concentrate."
    You think a quarterhorse is that ride in front of K-Mart.

追放されたバカ

No way would they consider getting rid of Ash as the main protagonist. They just need to look at their former rivals Yu-gi-oh and Digimon to realise this.

Digimon briefly became even more popular than Pokemon, and personally, there was a period I preferred it too. When they moved onto the 2nd series, they kept 2 of the digi-destined, (Kari and TK) and added 3 new ones, with the 6 that were kicked out still making very frequent appearances and being in a string of multiple episodes. Then as soon as they went for a brand new fresh start, and got rid of digi-destined and made them tamers, the series bombed.

Yu-gi-oh also massively successful unlike Digimon who's card game never took off, Yu-gi-oh's card game became probably the most popular ever thoroughly beating Pokemon's and the cartoon was huge as well. Both Digimon and Yu-gi-oh got their own movies. But then when they replaced the main character (Yugi) and carried on Yugioh, but with another guy ratings dived, but at least you had some of the old cast, Pegasus, Kaiba, and occasionally even Yugi, making the odd infrequent appearance to keep a few old fans interested, but it never reached the success the series had under Yugi, then they did another completely reboot and it well and truly died (not sure if they still make episodes or not, but I dont know anyone who watches it anymore)

Pokemon I feel has survived this long because of the continuity. Fans have grown attached to Ash, I personally thought I was getting too old for Pokemon , I was 17 when BW came out, and I thought it was a good point to end with HGSS, as it was a remake of my favourite games, and felt like the end of the story what with the Giovanni event, etc but the fact that they hadn't ended the story completely, and they had given you things in HGSS that would continue into BW, that kept me hooked and kept me playing, but why am I telling you this? Because the same was for the anime, Ash's story could have ended there and they could have moved onto a new guy for Gen 5, (they'd have been fools like I mentioned above about other series) but the fact that I knew Ash's story wasn't over and that it would continue kept me coming back.
    Caseydia likes this.

Moderator Hidden Mew's Avatar Forum Head

Quote Originally Posted by Therian View Post
    No way would they consider getting rid of Ash as the main protagonist. They just need to look at their former rivals Yu-gi-oh and Digimon to realise this.

Digimon briefly became even more popular than Pokemon, and personally, there was a period I preferred it too. When they moved onto the 2nd series, they kept 2 of the digi-destined, (Kari and TK) and added 3 new ones, with the 6 that were kicked out still making very frequent appearances and being in a string of multiple episodes. Then as soon as they went for a brand new fresh start, and got rid of digi-destined and made them tamers, the series bombed.
    I don't know if Digimon ever became more popular than Pokemon, even briefly, but the first couple of series were fairly popular. I don't know if I would blame the fresh start with the third series for why Digimon didn't become that successful, especially when Tamers was great and Digimon was never hugely popular to begin with. The fact that, unlike with Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh!, a new series would only come out every few years starting with the fifth series doesn't help it either. Plus, with the ending to Adventure 02, they had to make a fresh start instead of sticking with the same main characters again.

Quote Originally Posted by Therian
    Yu-gi-oh also massively successful unlike Digimon who's card game never took off, Yu-gi-oh's card game became probably the most popular ever thoroughly beating Pokemon's and the cartoon was huge as well. Both Digimon and Yu-gi-oh got their own movies. But then when they replaced the main character (Yugi) and carried on Yugioh, but with another guy ratings dived, but at least you had some of the old cast, Pegasus, Kaiba, and occasionally even Yugi, making the odd infrequent appearance to keep a few old fans interested, but it never reached the success the series had under Yugi, then they did another completely reboot and it well and truly died (not sure if they still make episodes or not, but I dont know anyone who watches it anymore)
    Yu-Gi-Oh! was more popular than Digimon and the card game is still really successful. Similar to the case with Digimon, they had to get a new cast after DM ended since another series revolving around Yugi wouldn't have worked out. GX wasn't that popular, but I didn't think that the Yu-Gi-Oh! anime has been that popular in general since near the end of Battle City anyway. Yu-Gi-Oh! hasn't died. 5D's was pretty popular, although probably more online than with actual ratings, and Zexal, the only series that does feel like an actual reboot, is currently airing.

Quote Originally Posted by Therian
    Pokemon I feel has survived this long because of the continuity. Fans have grown attached to Ash, I personally thought I was getting too old for Pokemon , I was 17 when BW came out, and I thought it was a good point to end with HGSS, as it was a remake of my favourite games, and felt like the end of the story what with the Giovanni event, etc but the fact that they hadn't ended the story completely, and they had given you things in HGSS that would continue into BW, that kept me hooked and kept me playing, but why am I telling you this? Because the same was for the anime, Ash's story could have ended there and they could have moved onto a new guy for Gen 5, (they'd have been fools like I mentioned above about other series) but the fact that I knew Ash's story wasn't over and that it would continue kept me coming back.
    I don't know if continuity has really helped Pokemon last that long, especially when the amount of older fans make up a pretty small number compared to the kids who start watching it from the newest series.

I've never understood the idea of comparing the idea of Ash being replaced to replacing the casts in Yu-Gi-Oh! and Digimon. In both of those series, they came to a point where they concluded the main characters' storyline and they had to replace the cast for a fresh start. They haven't come to that point with Ash's story, so comparing these series in that regard doesn't make sense to me. They easily could have replaced Ash either for Johto or for AG since Johto was still part of the original series and I think it could have worked out fine, but they haven't and I honestly don't think that they will replace Ash. I can understand why people would want him to be replaced, but considering that he's been the main character for over fifteen years, I don't think that there's any chance for him to be replaced at this point.

Registered Nosy Airliner Comrade Zhenya's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I think that if they were to replace him, then should have done that either at the end of Kanto of Johto, there's really no point now, as @MikaelDerp pointed out before, it will just be a reboot of the series, which at this time, FAR too late to reboot the series.
    "Center, I have that little fuc... FOKKER in sight!" | Awesome Tumblr #1, Awesome Tumblr #2 FOLLOW for the best dashboard!

Bow before me, bitches! SammyW27's Avatar
    Add SammyW27 on Facebook
    Visit SammyW27's Youtube Channel

As much as I want him gone, it's over a decade too late

They should've replaced him when they had the chance. Now...he's just too well known. If they tried to replace him, it would be too weird to too many people. Which is a shame, because he's one the worst protagonists EVER and I root for (most of) the heroes from the various specials waaayyy more than I do him.
    Being a fan means being unashamed of what you like, no matter what anyone else says

Blog Entries
    Follow voicerocker On Twitter
    Visit voicerocker's Youtube Channel

Ash reseting at the beginning of each new region represents how we all "reset" every time a new game comes out. No matter how many games from Gen 1-5 you've played, you have to start over with just your starter for every game.

As far as winning a tournament goes, I don't really think winning a League would end his journey. That would only allow him to challenge the Elite 4 and Champion. Besides, we still don't know exactly what a Pokemon Master is, so even defeating a Champion might not call for the show to end...but, he hasn't won a League yet, we probably won't see a match for the championship for a while.

I don't see any point in replacing him now. 15 years of 700+ episodes and more than a dozen movies...that's a long time of being the lead character. If they were going to replace him, it would have happened already.
    SammyW27 likes this.
    "Believe in yourself and create your own destiny. Don't fear failure." - Only Toonami

I wouldn't mind if Ash grew up a few years and maybe would have won a few leagues so that he could stay. But witht he writers palying with him like this makes me feel sorry for what they're doing to his accomplishments and triumps.

Blog Entries

Visit Sweenix's Youtube Channel

he's to established, plus they just reset him and pikachu every saga and give the impression to the younger audience that he is new :)
    Proud Advance/Amour/Final Fantasy Shipper :)

Serebii | Youtube | Advancers | IGN | Ubiforums

Proud Pokeservative! 97SaturnSL1's Avatar
    Blog Entries

No because ash is a staple in pokemon. just like how chevy is a staple brand to General Motors. they have been around for so long that fans would not want to see them changed up because it would ruin the series. it would be VERY and i mean VERY difficult to replace a long running cast member without losing interest. Pokemon as a series started on ASH'S dream to become a Pokemon master. it would not overly make too much sense to restart with someone else because you would have no idea who this person is.
    i just think its a very bad idea

I hate this anime because writers completely destroying Satoshi in BW and i think they should replace him+still no development for him

Quote Originally Posted by super-him2911 View Post
    I hate this anime because writers completely destroying Satoshi in BW and i think they should replace him+still no development for him
    I agree some what. I really thought he was going places after Sinnoh as far as quality is concerned. I wanted to see him travel alone for a few episodes, meet a girl rival and run into some new villians. *coughNcough* That way it would have shown that even though he hasn't aged, that the show is going places than it has before. But I guess not. I really don't care about age anymore. But I don't see the harm in him growing up a year per every decade.

Page 56 of 68 FirstFirst ... 646545556575866 ... LastLast