Do you think Ash/Satoshi should be replaced? - Page 50
Page 50 of 68 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you think Ash/Satoshi should be replaced?

Default Re: Do you think Ash/Satoshi should be replaced?

Well technically none of the characters have anime background until they appear. Who was Iris before BW? Nobody knew until she appeared.

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gliscor'd View Post
    Well technically none of the characters have anime background until they appear. Who was Iris before BW? Nobody knew until she appeared.
    True, but she wasn't replacing a 14 year character; she was replacing Dawn, and it's generally expected at the start of a new generation that the female lead in said past generation to be replaced, right? I may be wrong there, but I think it's true.

Follow mijuwott On Twitter Add mijuwott on Facebook
    Follow mijuwott on Tumblr

I don't ever see that happening. He's been there since the beginning, and I can't see them just popping someone new in there.

Quote Originally Posted by Pikapi Angel View Post
    True, but she wasn't replacing a 14 year character; she was replacing Dawn, and it's generally expected at the start of a new generation that the female lead in said past generation to be replaced, right? I may be wrong there, but I think it's true.
    But Brock was here almost as long and only missed Orange Islands.

The problem is Ash has no further growth to go through and if they want to do a new series they might as well go for a clean slate.

Super Moderator Hidden Mew's Avatar Forum Head

But Brock was here almost as long and only missed Orange Islands.

The problem is Ash has no further growth to go through and if they want to do a new series they might as well go for a clean slate.
    There's a major difference between Ash and Brock though. While Brock was around almost as long as Ash, he was never the focus of the story. Each series has always been about Ash and Pikachu traveling, catching new Pokemon and making new friends. Brock is a supporting character, so I don't see how replacing a supporting character after over a decade is on the same line to replacing the main character. I doubt that they would want to go for a clean slate. They easily could have done that with this series, if only because of how the games are almost a reboot with being far away from the other regions, but they didn't. If the writers really wanted to go for a completely clean slate, I think that they would have done that ages ago.

I'd like to see Ash go because as an Ash fan (or I used to be) I don't like what he has been degraded to. Ash's character ended in DP. What we're watching now is an alternate universe take on his Kanto era personality.

If this was a reboot it'd be acceptable but the original story didn't end yet.

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

I'd like to see Ash go because as an Ash fan (or I used to be) I don't like what he has been degraded to.
    I have to agree. I liked Ash most in the first 3 seasons, but now he's really... yeah. At least, from what I've seen of BW. *shrug*
    Last edited by Akuraito; 16th April 2012 at 01:57 PM. Reason: Quote fail. *facepalm*

Which is why it's better for characters to go when they're still enjoyable than to watch them get worse as the years go by. I wouldn't have mind at all if DP was Ash's last saga.

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

Which is why it's better for characters to go when they're still enjoyable than to watch them get worse as the years go by. I wouldn't have mind at all if DP was Ash's last saga.
    But isn't it possible for the writers to, well, undegrade him? Most humor today for children is the main character acting stupid (hello, spongebob), which was in the Elesa episode, right? If children preferred actual humor, than the writers wouldn't have to stoop so low for kids to like it.
    Meh.
    The writers, if willing, could still make Ash's character good and non-boring, right?

I don't know what i dislike more about ash his design and character or what a useless trainer he is!
    Changing the Main boy from gen to gen I don't believe in! But after 15 years it's time!
    Time for a new boy travels through the regions and collects badges and fails to achieve anything!
    In my opinion Ash should travel one more time through Kanto and win the league and finish with his quest!

I didn't mind the kiddish outfit, the extra Pokemon, the age factor or the fact that Pikachu is still a magnet sucker. But I didn't like how they made him into a novice again. I mean we went from someone who was about to win a league against a bunch of legendaries to someone who seems like he's just starting out. They didn't have to do that to make Ash funny or enjoyable. I don't think he should be replaced but I don't think they should have replaced his brain.

I'd like to see Ash gone after BW. I am so disinterested in Ash this gen, I can't imagine what the next one would be like.

- Also his rivals are getting worse. I knew the writers could never top Paul but what they gave us as a replacement is just sad. Between Gary and Paul Ash struggled in two different ways, and if Trip is the future then count me out.

- His travel companions are constantly replaced, so keeping Ash around with an all new cast seems pointless. Just think, Iris and Cilan could have not been tied to Ash at all, but a new hero, and we wouldn't think of them as Ash's friends. What difference would it make if Iris/Cilan were interacting with someone new?

- His older pokemon are rarely seen or used anymore.

- Ash now has 40 Gym badges, I have no desire to see him get 200.

- Ash has 750 episodes under his belt, I don't need to see 1000.

- Most of the fanbase will never get to see his whole journey. Since the show has gone on so long, most people have come in and out of the show never seeing every saga in full.

- Kids growing up with the show today do not know the history of the series, so to them it won't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Luminous Pikapi View Post
    ...Is it just me, or does my last post seem non-point adressing? o_o
    ...Too lazy to fix it at the moment...
    Typically if moderators feel the need, they will inform members whether or not they think a post is addressing the topic or not. Your first post does, this one does not. Please make sure that your posts have something to add to the thread by means of discussion or how the conversation is flowing. Thanks!

the same i've always been:
    mafia win/lose tally . vocal covers . ffn.net
    . ao3 . tumblr

I'd like to see Ash gone after BW. I am so disinterested in Ash this gen, I can't imagine what the next one would be like.

- Also his rivals are getting worse. I knew the writers could never top Paul but what they gave us as a replacement is just sad. Between Gary and Paul Ash struggled in two different ways, and if Trip is the future then count me out.

- His travel companions are constantly replaced, so keeping Ash around with an all new cast seems pointless. Just think, Iris and Cilan could have not been tied to Ash at all, but a new hero, and we wouldn't think of them as Ash's friends. What difference would it make if Iris/Cilan were interacting with someone new?

- His older pokemon are rarely seen or used anymore.

- Ash now has 40 Gym badges, I have no desire to see him get 200.

- Ash has 750 episodes under his belt, I don't need to see 1000.

- Most of the fanbase will never get to see his whole journey. Since the show has gone on so long, most people have come in and out of the show never seeing every saga in full.

- Kids growing up with the show today do not know the history of the series, so to them it won't matter.
    Um, you do know that with the whole fan based thing, kids are now going back to watch all the episodes online right? I know it's hard on the head but the writers probably thought to kepp Ash since they've always had him. I know people might argue about him being dumb and being replaced by older characters, but they wanted to make BW more appealing to the younger cast again. I guess they couldn't care less about us older ones. But replacing him now seems pointless because we're almost at the last two gyms. Anything after that means that they might keep him just to show that he's growing up again. It's an endless cyle of the same crap. But there are some people who loves Ash just for Ash like me.

Blog Entries

Why would they go through the hassle of creating a new lead for the anime when they already have one? As been said before the series is directed at a younger audience, which makes it logical for the main lead to be the same age. Easier for the kids watching to relate. Getting rid of Pikachu in the anime would be a really stupid marketing move too, which is what would happen if they got rid of Ash. Using a 1st gen pokemon for 2-6th gen lead wouldn't makes sense even to kids.
    The series IS build up with Ash and Pikachu at it's center and any other character is replaceble because they are not at it's center. Even Misty and Brock counted as side characters from the very beginning.
    So scrapping a perfectly funtional main lead of the series and go through all the the work of making a new one (and when a whole series centers around that one character there is A LOT of work) is not the time and money saving way to go.
    Ash and his gym-quest has worked for the last 15 years and they will keep him until it doesn't work anymore. That's the way it is.
    Even if Ash and his gymbadges are old news to us, they're fresh news to the target audience.

EDIT: Man do I sound cynical --;

Page 50 of 68 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260 ... LastLast