Do you think Ash/Satoshi should be replaced? - Page 49

Page 49 of 68 FirstFirst ... 39474849505159 ... LastLast
Like Tree358Likes

Thread: Do you think Ash/Satoshi should be replaced?

Follow Dragard On Twitter
    Visit Dragard's Youtube Channel

Default Re: Do you think Ash/Satoshi should be replaced?

I wouldn't mind seeing him gone, but it would be much better if he just stays smart like at the end of DP... But other than that, what I really want to see is Pokemon: May's Travels =D

Blog Entries

There is one main reason why I never want Ash to be replaced.

New Pokemon.

As I've said in the past, if one remembers, Ash is my favorite character. In fact Ash is such a favorite character on Pokemon, you might as well put Ash in every rank from #1 to #10. Other characters don't really appeal to me. Brock didn't. Misty didn't. Tracey didn't, May, and Max didn't, Dawn didn't, Cilan and Iris don't. If I care about any of those characters it would more so on their Pokemon side.

Anyway back to my point. Because even though I will watch a new Pokemon series, even with brand new male protagonist, with brand new Pokemon. That "trainer" that "character" could never replace Ash. So in some small sense, I'll jealous and bitter that this brand new protagonist, who acts exactly LIKE Ash, with a Pikachu is able to catch the brand new Pokemon that come out in games, while the "Ash" character is shelved.

Even if Ash doesn't get Pokemon I want him to catch. Some Pokemon don't reach their final form even though it would be nice to see them reach their final form. Or they don't get very much screen time, because they aren't entirely as marketable as Pikachu or the then generation starters.

I still want to see Ash catching brand new Pokemon (lots of them, like in Unova; rotating them) train the Pokemon, battle gyms, go to the league.

I want to see Ash do that. Not some random brand new character I can't give two shits about.

Sure I would like to see Ash getting closure, at least winning a league at least once, and some sort of continuity from the other series. But unless Pokemon stops making money, and they stop making brand new Pokemon then I don't think realistically Ash could ever have closure, that I could be satisfied with the outcome. Because come next generation, if there are brand new Pokemon, having my favorite character not be able catch and train THOSE brand new Pokemon, would be seriously disappointing and upsetting.

It's all about the Pokemon.
    Shadow Victini likes this.

Registered User The Fighting Misty's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dman_dustin View Post
    As I've said in the past, if one remembers, Ash is my favorite character. In fact Ash is such a favorite character on Pokemon, you might as well put Ash in every rank from #1 to #10. Other characters don't really appeal to me. Brock didn't. Misty didn't. Tracey didn't, May, and Max didn't, Dawn didn't, Cilan and Iris don't. If I care about any of those characters it would more so on their Pokemon side.
    Well if you don't watch for the supporting cast that's pretty odd compared to the rest of the fandom. Even so Ash only captures a small percent of each new pokemon in every gen. Even in BW he has less than 10 of the new Unova Pokemon. There have always been tons of cool Pokemon from each gen that he never captured and never will capture. So I don't see what the difference is.

And that's the point. If Ash goes, it feels like the series can essentially end, regardless of some new anime that will likely start after with a new group of heroes. After 15 years it would be time to let go, and we wouldn't be expected to watch the next series. With Ash still here it feels like its all part of the same continuity, and until he is wrapped up, the show feels meaningless. I don't watch shows without endings, because if Ash is still here another 10 years from now, I'll feel like I wasted my time watching the anime.

Moderator Hidden Mew's Avatar Forum Head

Quote Originally Posted by Gliscor'd View Post
    And that's the point. If Ash goes, it feels like the series can essentially end, regardless of some new anime that will likely start after with a new group of heroes. After 15 years it would be time to let go, and we wouldn't be expected to watch the next series. With Ash still here it feels like its all part of the same continuity, and until he is wrapped up, the show feels meaningless. I don't watch shows without endings, because if Ash is still here another 10 years from now, I'll feel like I wasted my time watching the anime.
    The fact that it has been fifteen years makes it clear to me that the writers have no desire to replace Ash. They've had plenty of chances to bring in a new lead, but they never did. I don't think that we were expected to watch Pokemon pass the original series. The writers may be aware that there are older fans for the anime, but they're expecting for kids to grow out of Pokemon with each new generation. All of the series are in the same continuity. Even if they did replace Ash in one of the previous series, if it was set in the same universe, then it would still be under the same continuity. I don't think that the show is meaningless just because Ash's character isn't wrapped up. The anime still has the purposes of promoting the video games and providing entertainment to the people who watches it. I don't think that a lack of an ending changes that. While I usually prefer shows to offer an ending with a satisfying amount of closures for the characters and the overall storyline, I don't really expect that with Pokemon. Maybe I just have different expectations for Pokemon compared to other shows I watch given its purpose and how it functions.

Considering that Ash has been around for fifteen years, I don't see how another ten years is that big of a deal. I never expected Ash to stick around this long when I first got into Pokemon and seeing Ash still being the main character for twenty-five years doesn't really bother me. I'll be in my early 30's at that point, so I'll have more to worry about than Ash being the main character. Besides that, as long as you enjoy the anime, I don't see how it could be wasting your time.

Blog Entries

If you feel like any show is wasting your time, it's probably time for you to stop watching.
    Just saiyan.

Keeping Ash hasn't backfired on the writers yet, and until it does I don't think they'll feel the need to make any changes on that scale. It would really shake things up, and not in a good way. Getting used to a new character who is more likely than not an Ash clone? The possibility of an entirely new animeverse? There will be backlash, no doubt. That tangled web is best left alone.

What I wish would happen is a spinoff show focusing on Ash's old friends. It doesn't have to be endless. Even some experimental 13 episode gig would be nice, just to toy with the idea of not having Ash around at all for a prolonged period of time. Give some of the shafted characters a chance, you know?
    Hidden Mew and martianmister like this.
    [avatar: pixiv]

Blog Entries

With the transition from DP to BW there was shift in focus on certain aspects of Satoshi's character. He got less emotional and more clumsy which I don't like. Unemotional people don't make good television unless contrasted to something. Cilan I guess but Cilan has a minor role and he is a comedic character so it doesn't work out. and being unemotional was never Satoshi's character. What's on the top of my wish list for the new character is that he is more emotional than stupid. I'm sick and tired of the angry character being a villian who's anger gets the better of them or a rival character. I'd like to see a very human hero. And that is all they have to do to get a different character. Emotion hammy. Like Cilan but violent that is what I want. He can still be nobel he can still be hot headed in fact it's better that way. But keeping Ash around is pointless. In fact look at Cheren he got stronger for the sake of getting stronger with no end in site. Ash according to continuity is strong enough to become champion in one arc. He beat the battle frontier and Scott said "the trainers will be every bit as strong as Agatha" and the games suggest that they are too. Now I know what your thinking Ash never took out one pokemon of a elite four member but they were mostly one on one battles. Losing to Agatha showed Ash's strength. Flint is the exception and Ash got curb stomped by paul and he beat paul so take that into account. We are reaching the the tenth year anniversary of AG you know what happened in AG Ash beat Brandon and he would have beat Tyson if he sent Pikachu before Grovyle. And Tyson won the Hoenn league. So he is ready, he was ready to win in the beginning of DP but he didn't.

All they have to do is have Ash get to the final (which works good with N) have him train in Kanto afterwards and go through his final development tie up all the loose ends and win in Kanto. I find it ironic that the people how want Ash to leave are considered cynical when Ash leaving means he (and thus we) gets a happily ever after.

Blog Entries

Agreed, BW is a perfect example of what's going to happen to Ash if he stays forever. NOTHING. He's in limbo.

At least in the last two sagas even though he lost the league, everyone knew he had improved as a trainer and there's so many countless examples of it. The fact that Ash was beating legendaries, taking down Paul, taking down threatening villains, mentoring younger trainers, fully evolving almost all his Pokemon...it was beautiful. A perfect example of where his character went.

In BW I don't see any of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Terra Voltage View Post
    If you feel like any show is wasting your time, it's probably time for you to stop watching.
    Just saiyan.
    Agreed. I wouldn't want Ash replaced until something good happens to him that will do something for his goal or help finish his story. Look at how far he got in the Sinnoh league, he could have won the damn thing. But the writers didn't want him replaced or they would have let him won and reboted BW with Hilda or Hilbert and do a whole new cast. But again, Pikachu is also a very big issue with Ash. Pikachu is on the face of every poster that shows the three starter Pokemon each time. So I think Pikachu is a big issue in all of this too. But no, I don't think he should be replaced. Not now atleast.

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

Personally, I would rather Ash stay than leave.
    Without the main character(s)-who have been so for 14(?) years-it would take a dive finacially.
    And just what would change? New face, yes, but he/she would have the same base characteristics, right?
    I would have to say that if Ash left, the show should end. Because the entire show has been about his journey; if we take that away, what would we have?
    It would just keep repeating over and over again if they added some other protaganist.(spelling?) They probably wouldn't dare get rid of Pikachu, so again, what would the true difference be?
    Meh.
    I would rather it go on with Ash forever rather than have him be replaced, but that's just me.
    (For people so worried about closure to the point that they want it, why are you watching?)

Blog Entries

Why would anyone want Ash to go on forever? The Pokemon series changes protagonists every game and so should the anime.

The fact that Ash's character is getting worse and worse should say enough. What they did to him in BW is sad.

Moderator Hidden Mew's Avatar Forum Head

Why would anyone want Ash to go on forever? The Pokemon series changes protagonists every game and so should the anime.
    There are some people who really like Ash and wouldn't want him to be replaced for that reason alone. I honestly think that it's far too late for the anime to start replacing their main lead with every new generation. If they had started that in either the second or third generation, then it could have worked, but after fifteen years and five generations, they're well passed the point of replacing their protagonist every generation.

Quote Originally Posted by Gliscor'd
    The fact that Ash's character is getting worse and worse should say enough. What they did to him in BW is sad.
    While I agree that the downgrade of his skills in BW is sad, especially in his fourth Gym battle, I personally still don't see that as a reason to replace him. I see that as more of a writing issue that could be fixed without getting rid of Ash. They just need to not downplay his skills that badly.
    martianmister likes this.

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hidden Mew View Post
    There are some people who really like Ash and wouldn't want him to be replaced for that reason alone. I honestly think that it's far too late for the anime to start replacing their main lead with every new generation. If they had started that in either the second or third generation, then it could have worked, but after fifteen years and five generations, they're well passed the point of replacing their protagonist every generation.

Quote Originally Posted by Gliscor'd
    While I agree that the downgrade of his skills in BW is sad, especially in his fourth Gym battle, I personally still don't see that as a reason to replace him. I see that as more of a writing issue that could be fixed without getting rid of Ash. They just need to not downplay his skills that badly.
    Better than I could have said it.

I like Ash. He has history and such; getting a complete reboot with someone who I couldn't care less about would just turn me off from the series; thus me wanting him to go on forever or have the series end when he leaves.

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

...or have the series end when he leaves.
    Actually, take that back. :/ I would be okay if it focused on a different already-made character, such as Misty or May or whoever. If it's someone completely new, my original post applies.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pikapi Angel View Post
    Actually, take that back. :/ I would be okay if it focused on a different already-made character, such as Misty or May or whoever. If it's someone completely new, my original post applies.
    You know good and well if Ash's story ended they would use the main male protagonist of whatever the current generation is.

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pikapi Angel View Post
    You know good and well if Ash's story ended they would use the main male protagonist of whatever the current generation is.
    Most likely that would happen, yes. Doesn't stop me from hoping they would use someone who already has anime background, though. *shrug*

Page 49 of 68 FirstFirst ... 39474849505159 ... LastLast