Do you think Ash/Satoshi should be replaced? - Page 46

Page 46 of 68 FirstFirst ... 36444546474856 ... LastLast
Like Tree359Likes

Thread: Do you think Ash/Satoshi should be replaced?

Default Re: Do you think Ash/Satoshi should be replaced?

Quote Originally Posted by sonic10158 View Post
    If they keep up with this "starting over and leaving all my pokemon behind" crap, then sure, get rid of him.
    If that was the case, then they would have replaced him a long time ago. However, it's not him it's Pikachu who is the face of Pokemon. On the games and toys, that's who the writers don't want to replace. Alot of the japanese still like Pikachu so they will do whatever they want. Yet, we will still watch and buy.

They could replace the Pikachu but that wouldn't make much sense.

追放されたバカ

This boy is as far as we know still the League champion of the orange islands. He has come in the top 4/8 in 4 regions competitions, he has won the Battle Frontier and received the offer of becoming a Frontier Brain, and then all of a sudden, he hasn't got a clue and is trying to capture Pokemon without weakening them, or using moves that won't work on certain types, he is a Champion and was a candidate for Frontier Brain and yet he lost to a begginer trainer who had just picked up their first Pokemon.

It's so unrealistic, Johto was realistic as Ash easy defeated Casey without even trying, and slowly removed his strong team with new ones, but he never got stupid.

Then even with the somewhat strange scenario of Pikachu keep being levele'd down at least Hoenn and Sinnoh had Ash still maintain his inteligence and act as a mentor to May and Dawn. The Ash is Black and White basically is a new character. For all we know, its set in an alternate universe, where none of the above happened as he's still 10 and stupid once again.

Why not replace Ash with the boy from Black (where does the name Hilbert come from?).
    At the start Oshawott received so much screen time and was so well received, why not have him as the new Mascot for Pokemon instead of Pikachu?

Blog Entries

Follow Yato on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Keldeo94 View Post
    Why not replace Ash with the boy from Black (where does the name Hilbert come from?).
    At the start Oshawott received so much screen time and was so well received, why not have him as the new Mascot for Pokemon instead of Pikachu?
    Hilbert is the default name for the BW game male player character.

I agree that Ash being keep getting reset every region was getting on everyone's nerves. Yes, Johto kept the Ash from Kanto - but that was because it was following Kanto's storyline. From AG, however, even though they kept the same Ash, it's a completely new story - and they SHOULD'VE replaced Ash from there.

Registered User The Fighting Misty's Avatar
    Blog Entries

It would have been better if DP was the end of his character at the latest. I don't see why we have to follow the same character for over 15 years when both the games and manga constantly cycle through new heroes. Since the anime does it too for everyone but Ash, I see no reason to see him continue endlessly.

Lastly, it will give the show a sense of closure. For those of us who have been watching a long time, it gives the show a proper ending if Ash was wrapped, and makes you feel the journey was worth it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Destiny Queen View Post
    I agree that Ash being keep getting reset every region was getting on everyone's nerves. Yes, Johto kept the Ash from Kanto - but that was because it was following Kanto's storyline. From AG, however, even though they kept the same Ash, it's a completely new story - and they SHOULD'VE replaced Ash from there.
    I have to disagree with you there. At that point Ash was still a low tier trainer. His journey was still short and lacked closure. It would've been ridiculous for Ash to win the Johto league and he still had a lot to learn. In Hoenn and Sinnoh he was given development and given all we know about the world and narrative Ash should have won the Sinnoh leaguel. The Sinnoh league was really the writers FIRST chance to get rid of him despite how much time in the real world has pasted. I also disagree with the idea that the main character should cycle because Ash and his friends and rivals only got as far as they did instead of winning it would be ridiculous for future character to. And if they don't win or reach second place what the hell kind of closure is that. The difference between Red becoming champ and Ash becoming champ is the difference between completing a video game and winning a video game tournament. I understand people like the manga but despite all the things the manga beats the anime at, it still has its own flotsam and jetsam such as use of levels. Frankly I don't see the connect from "the manga has better character development than the anime" to "the manga caters more towards my taste so the anime should have the manga's format". The best way around this I guess we could have the characters start out experience but that might not go over well with some viewers.

But the point is that since they didn't really have the chance til now they should do it before they get even more hesitate. A lot better story could be told about Ash training to fight the elite 4, becoming champion, dealing with fame, adapting to fighting stronger opponents and maybe even having children than him just doing the same crap over and over. Losing to gym leaders and rivals. I mean in the games the battle frontier is stronger than the elite 4 so Ash should be plenty strong.

Blog Entries

Follow Yato on Tumblr

But Brendan would've been a super nice change in AG. The manga and the games were all related to one another - they could've easily used Ruby in the anime and have an awesome rookie who's showing potential in both Contests and Battles, not stupid little Ash.

OSHAWHAT?

Quote Originally Posted by Keldeo94 View Post
    For all we know, its set in an alternate universe, where none of the above happened as he's still 10 and stupid once again.
    But it's not- they just make few (not even zero) references to earlier than BW!.

Because they've had the same mascot Pokemon for around 15 years. Kids and adults from all sorts of ages have had around that many years to really recognize Pikachu. Pikachu isn't even catchable in Black and White's main story, making it more special to kids just getting introduced to it. Besides that, whatever praise Oshawott received (are you talking about in Japan, around the world, or just forums like these?), Oshawott was around while Pikachu was still around, and Ash. It was, "Like Oshawott", not "Like Oshawott because Pikachu's gone."

There'd be much disagreement among people around the world what Pokemon to replace Pikachu with. Some will be happy with whoever and some will think Oshawott's not a significant replacement.

To relate this more to Ash, I see them more likely getting rid of Ash than a Pikachu in general.
    martianmister likes this.
    Seasons =/= Regions

Dream Crusher! TrollsGonnaTroll's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Caseydia View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sonic10158 View Post
    If they keep up with this "starting over and leaving all my pokemon behind" crap, then sure, get rid of him.
    If that was the case, then they would have replaced him a long time ago. However, it's not him it's Pikachu who is the face of Pokemon. On the games and toys, that's who the writers don't want to replace. Alot of the japanese still like Pikachu so they will do whatever they want. Yet, we will still watch and buy.

They could replace the Pikachu but that wouldn't make much sense.
    Well if Ash was replaced, would they replace it with Oshawott as the main advertisement? I don't see how if they replaced him, giving a new main boy would make sense to give him a new Pikachu if Pikachu is supposed to be on the cover of every little poster, toys or etc in Japan. Pikachu doesn't count for Jack here. But I had visited Osaka for the summer and it was unbelievable on how much they worship Pikachu there. It is just insane.

But to answer the question, no.
    Rather Be Trolled Than Rick Roll'd Anyday!

H.M
    Follow H.M On Twitter
    Follow H.M on Tumblr

I was a bit peeved why they kept Ash on the show, especially since every region starting with Hoenn, he "resets" and brings Pikachu with him at the beginning. This also leaves the male game protags (other than the Johto ones) getting shoved into barely significant movie cameos.

Seriously, if Digimon and Yugioh can change main characters every season, what's exactly stopping Pokemon from doing it? I'm sure there isn't a rule saying that Ash is the only character that can own Pikachu ever (other than Richie, but he's another ball game). Maybe the 6th gen male protag can come across a wild Pikachu somehow and catches it as his first Pokemon. He might end up as an almost-Ash clone, but...at least it's something different and makes the show somewhat fresh (the same can be said of Digimon's main kid, they always have those goofy goggles and such).
    Kyo~ likes this.

Oshawott used Baton Pass!
    ~Tumblr~Twitter~

Registered User The Fighting Misty's Avatar
    Blog Entries

^ That's exactly what they should do. The next male/female come across a wild Pikachu and it joins them with a different personality than Ash's. It doesn't have to be the next guys starter either.

As it stands right now, it feels like Ash's character has become a waste of time. I don't watch shows without endings. I likely would have stopped watching the show a long time ago if Ash was never shown to improve as a trainer gradually. I now almost feel like I was tricked into watching longer than I should have.

A small glimmer of hope seems to revolve around the fact that Team Rocket seem on their way out, and I feel if all other old characters from the show are finally gone, it would be time to write Ash out too. No reason for it not to be rebooted next gen if this is the case.

pokemon fan 132 pokemon fan 132's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by H.M View Post
    Seriously, if Digimon and Yugioh can change main characters every season, what's exactly stopping Pokemon from doing it? I'm sure there isn't a rule saying that Ash is the only character that can own Pikachu ever (other than Richie, but he's another ball game). Maybe the 6th gen male protag can come across a wild Pikachu somehow and catches it as his first Pokemon. He might end up as an almost-Ash clone, but...at least it's something different and makes the show somewhat fresh (the same can be said of Digimon's main kid, they always have those goofy goggles and such).
    There is difference with shows like Yugioh and Pokemon.They wrapped up series after certain story arc was done starting out new show after relatively small time after 2 to 5 years at most.

Replacing whole cast after few years is one thing,but trying to revamp completely show like pokemon who is going on with Ash and same continuity for more than 15 years is a whole different world.

At this point people already view pokemon series as Ash and other characters show becoming too used to this concept.
    Trying to take that away might result in big repercussions and big portion of viewers being lost with interest for new show fading away.
    If it was so simple they would already replace Ash long time ago.

Honestly i dont think this anime could survive without Ash and Pikachu
    They became so much integrated in this show being faces of pokemon franchize that either of them being removed involves too much risk for writers and producers to take. I cant recall any example from other shows where main star was replaced after being part of something for so many years.

As we can see in retrospective when characters become too popular with people getting used to them,their leaving usually doesnt go without dust being lifted up.For example when Brock was ditched during Orange Islands that move lifted up quite alot of dust among fanbase, and Mistys departure was ten times worse received causing big backlash from fans with good chunk quitting with anime only because of this to them show losing its value and purpose.
    In Ash case complaints would be 1000 times bigger.

Besides what is bad about anime following story of same character with writers taking him in unexplored directions doing more with him,being set in same universe and timeline with sequels being made? Many anime like Naruto, Bleach, One Piece, Bakugan ,Dragon ball etc do or did that being more appreciated among people than complete revamps.

Perhaps Yugioh change cast and revamp anime but this didnt went well among fandom at all with successors being shadow of popularity original series about Atem used to have. Beyblade didnt fared any better either.

Quote Originally Posted by Gliscor'd View Post
    ^ That's exactly what they should do. The next male/female come across a wild Pikachu and it joins them with a different personality than Ash's. It doesn't have to be the next guys starter either.
    There is no chance in hell that writers are going to replace pokemon main mascot. Even if Ash is gone,whoever comes in his place will have Pikachu being too iconic and popular to ever be replaced with another mascot. Millions of today fans and whole older fandom knows who Pikachu is,with its sales in franchize being among top.

Getting rid of Pikachu would tarnish branding of anime and its association with franchize in general. Given how main show star and Pikachu are connected so much for last 15 years, most kids associate Pikachu with Ash so getting rid of main protagonist would be very bad move from marketing point as well.

Needless to say Ash replacement wont be much different with current anime restrictions not allowing for his successor to be much of individual on its own. We would basically get clone having 90% of Ash personality, being typical shounen hero which is naive, impulsive and clueless. Because that was showed to be proven formula which attracts young kids toward anime allowing to associate themselves with such type of heroic character.

It would be better if writers build up on Ash characters and personality having him grow more as person and trainer.

His goal of pokemon master involves much more than just winning on league so its not like writers couldnt take him going on bigger and better things. It would be much better if we see mature and experienced trainer taking steps forward with continuation being done, instead of getting new rookie starting out all over again. In reality they cant go on forever "Circulum Vitiosus", and sooner or later they will have to change approach.

Isnt that what fans were begging for years? To see Ash going on more important things doing bigger steps as trainer than just qualifying for league and obtain certain position never wining it? So why deny people such enjoyment and ruin everything by getting rid of Ash who has experience and required development to be taken to a whole new level?

As it stands right now, it feels like Ash's character has become a waste of time. I don't watch shows without endings. I likely would have stopped watching the show a long time ago if Ash was never shown to improve as a trainer gradually. I now almost feel like I was tricked into watching longer than I should have.
    Im interested in finding out why its so important that anime and Ash story ends now? Whats big deal if anime carries on for another 10 years with Ash as main character? It would make sense that show comes to conclusion with driving force which was integral part of pokemon series for one decade and half already.

A small glimmer of hope seems to revolve around the fact that Team Rocket seem on their way out, and I feel if all other old characters from the show are finally gone, it would be time to write Ash out too. No reason for it not to be rebooted next gen if this is the case.
    Do we know for a fact that older characters are gone? Misty, May, Brock etc have unfinished things in their stories with writers not finishing their job with them, they have appeal and potential to bring more and judging by demand majority of fandom hates that they are erased from face of earth advocating for their return getting some recognition.
    Most people care to see them again.

Rebooting anime would get rid of Ash and all current and previous main characters forever,it would destroy continuity and all connections with timeline and past series had with pokemon falling in same pit like Beyblade or Yugioh does destroying past and appeal show use to have now.

Now that Best Wishes is going fourth, things are getting a little better. Replacing Ash won't do anything. If the writers want 10 year olds on the show, then they'll put them on as long as they keep making games. Not to get off topic, but they are making a second BW game, so Ash isn't going anywhere anytime soon. I don't understand why people even watch the show knowing Ash isn't going to grow. But we don't watch the show just for him but for other things or people in here wouldn't know so much.

Gardevoir Enthusiast Okami Takahashi's Avatar
    Follow Okami Takahashi On Twitter
    Follow Okami Takahashi on Tumblr

To be honest, I can't really keep up with the Pokemon anime anymore, and the idea of Ash being 10 still makes no sense. I honestly think there should be anime adaptions of Pokemon Adventure or that newish ReBurst manga. Or even ones focusing on the actual plots of the games. Like a Black and White anime starring Touko and Touya (though their names should be Blair and Whitlea, like they were in the beta. Hilbert's a stupid name and Hilda doesnt match the character's look.).

Furthermore I don't think that The Pokemon Company should be in charge of dubbing; it just sounds wrong to me, barring Dawn's voice. I would personally put Funimation in charge. But that's just me.

I'd start complaining about why do people care whether or not the BW protagonists are named Hilda and Hilbert, and even if they were on the show they'd probably have those names anyway, but that is totally and utterly besides the point, so I'll drop it.
    You know, judging by how people are talking about BW Ash, you wouldn't think he was the same person who, I believe, was given the offer to become a freaking Frontier Brain.
    http://bmgf.bulbagarden.net/images/signaturepics/sigpic57049_1.gif

Blog Entries

They obviously don't know what to do with Satoshi so they should have him win already

Page 46 of 68 FirstFirst ... 36444546474856 ... LastLast