Do you think Ash/Satoshi should be replaced? - Page 3
Page 3 of 68 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you think Ash/Satoshi should be replaced?

Default Re: Do you think Satoshi should be replaced?

I think the reason he was originally kept for AG is the show as a whole was only 5 years old at that point. You have to remember, the show was still at the beginning of its history back then. It made sense to keep one focal character throughout it all.

However once we past an entire decade, it started to be obvious Ash was running his course.

BW is the closest to a reboot we've gotten, but since Ash and TR are still here its not quite there yet. If Gen 6 pull a TRUE reboot, it'd be much better off.

pokemon fan 132 pokemon fan 132's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Absolutely not.Having Ash replaced wouldnt in reality accomplish anything but give us cheap copy of original show and more or less similar main hero keeping most of traits Ash has aswell.

There isnt much difference they could do with new character with basic formula being unchanged.Other than different backstory and some other small changes we would end up with very similar character to Ash still being used that formula of typical Shonen hero saving day with Pikachu(they would never replace main mascot of pokemon franchize)going around the world collecting badges and competing in pokemon league.
    Personality wise he cant be much different from Ash because having someone naive who is bound to do "right thing" is writers way to appeal to new kids making it easier for them to associate with Ash type of character.

Only difference would be that we would have to deal with new character starting everything from zero wasting all those years of development Ash got sending it to trashcan going through basically rerun which isnt so much appealing,is it?
    Risk in this case out weights benefit with writers and producers not having any reason to change things drastically.

I would rather have Ash being kept following his development(no matter how slow this may be) than having him replaced with some copy meaning rehash of pokemon series and disappearance of all older characters from this show permanently.
    If Ash leaves this show should end aswell.No point in creating cheap knockoff which would fail very quickly with interest of audience decreasing for such thing.

Sure to couple of older fans it can be frustrating seeing Ash going in for so long,but its clearly obvious how majority still enjoys in his character with target audience(their main demographic)viewing his journey as new.
    Why to ditch someone who is successfully advertizing new games being mascot of pokemon franchize drawing in interest from viewers?
    After having Ash in main series for over a decade gaining tremendously big fanbase worldwide becoming mascot along with Pikachu of pokemon show people are too used to him to risk such thing.
    Whenever you find someone being either small kids or older fans majority associate pokemon with Ash viewing it as show about his journey.

If producers wanted to bomb the show and risk downfall in ratings producers would have done that long time ago,but sinced they care about money they arent going to ditch their main source of profit.

Quote Originally Posted by Gliscor'd View Post
    It was earlier than that. Most "casual fans" stopped watching when Ash let go of Charizard in early Johto. That was the turning point when most people also started to get bored of the anime, thanks to the fillers and the GS ball mishap.

As someone who was around from the very beginning, and box office sales of the Johto movies in the U.S. prove it, most casual fans dropped the series somewhere around mid-Johto.
    I guess you forgot backlash which Misty departure caused than,.Thousands of older veterans quit with show when Misty left finding that pokemon lost their identity to them when original group was dismantled.This can be noticed by massive complaining and drop in TV ratings in USA and Europe around time when Johto ended with AG taking some time to get show back on its feet.

Getting back to the point, Ash being dropped won't make a difference to older fans because most older fans WANT him to have closure. If you were to poll every active Pokemon anime fan right now, I'd wager at least 85% of them would vote to finally wrap Ash's story up and give him proper closure.

Only 15% of the fanbase wants Ash to go on forever in an endless for decades to come. And if you want proof of these statistics, we've had polls on this in the past.
    How exactly this proves anything????
    Forums like bulbagarden or serebii and their polls never give accurate picture of what is general consensus among fans.Many people dont even vote in such polls avoiding them like plague and out of whole pokemon fandom people who hang around this sites are small minority.Likewise many threads which were made about Ash leaving had majority voting for his staying so im not sure from where do you get such statistics.

People you can find on sites like bulbagarden arent whole fandom and by exploring little around internet it can be noticed how big majority of older fans actually want Ash to stay.Couple hundreds of people wanting Ash removed is nothing compared to thousands out there who want him stay.

Also target audience(small kids) which makes majority of fanbase accepts Ash not wanting him leave so why exactly should producers and writers remove Ash when he is already doing his job fine with new generations?
    To cater to small group of older fans who are growing out of show?

Fact that Misty was never brought back to cast,Ash never aged etc proves how writers dont listen to older fans.

Quote Originally Posted by Cloudskye View Post
    I would love to see something that doesn't focus on Ash so much. Maybe something following one of the other characters from different seasons. Like Jimmy (At least I think that's his name, anyways. The one from Chronicles), or they could look in on Dawn, Misty or May.
    If Ash gets replaced there is no way that we will see any of this older character ever again or gain some more development.When he leaves they will stop existing as well.
    Something which i would also not support.

The ironic thing of it all is Japan does like cycling through characters. Almost every long-running anime in Japan has cycled through characters.
    And yet many Japan animes also keep their main characters not replacing them.Just look at examples like Naruto,Bleach,One Piece or Dragonball.None of them replaced their main star doing good so why should pokemon be any different?

As for remark about shows like Digimon,there is one big difference between them and long running series like pokemon.They wrapped up series after certain story arc is being done starting out new show after relatively small time after 2 to 5 years at most.

Replacing whole cast after few years is one thing,but trying to revamp completely show like pokemon who is going on with Ash and same cast for more than 13 years is a whole different world just asking for trouble.
    At this point people already view pokemon series as Ash and older characters show becoming too used to this concept scoring huge popularity.
    Trying to take that away might result in big repercusions and big portion of viewers being lost with interest for new show fading away.
    If it was so simple they would already replace Ash long time ago.
    Last edited by pokemon fan 132; 11th July 2011 at 05:19 AM.

Heck no, Ash should never be replaced. For me, I'd loose intrest in the anime if he left. LOL Scott still saying Ash could have left at the end of AG or D/P. Ash will never leave, many fans know who Ash & Pikachu are by now old and new episodes. Its too late now, maybe at the end of series 1 they might have been able to but weren't they too popular at that point? Than I've already said why they can't by now.

edit;

Each Yugioh/Digimon have replaced there characters each series and yah know what? Fans complain that both shows are horrible now. One Piece/Naruto as Pokemon fan 132 already said haven't replaced the main characters and are really popular hmm what does that say Scott? I think from what I remember, the people who work on Pokemon have said they won't replace Ash and Pikachu till the Games stop making money, that hasn't happened and the anime does an awesome job in the ratings on both CN and Japan. I've said this before, why get rid of two characters if the show/Games are still doing good. Ok, I'll stop nowXD
    Last edited by Ashfangirl22; 11th July 2011 at 03:11 AM.
    Ash fan. Multi Ash shipper =]

Super Moderator Hidden Mew's Avatar Forum Head

I don't think that Ash should be replaced. He's been the main character for the series for well over a decade and at this point, I think the ship has long since sailed for Ash to be replaced. If the writers really wanted to start off with a new lead character, I think that they would have done that by now. While I understand where people are coming from with wanting to replace Ash, I don't really mind him being the main character for years and not aging at all. I still find him generally likable and I kind of like seeing him travel through different regions, catching new Pokemon and meeting new friends. It feels fun to me. Besides, I'm not sure if a new lead character would be drastically different. It would still be a male trainer since Pokemon, in general, is still mainly aimed at boys, he'd still have a Pikachu, still be on a badge quest and still catch the kind of Pokemon that Ash would. Granted, they did replace May with Dawn, despite having the same goals, and they both had different personalities and stories. However, I think it's a bit different to replace traveling companions than the main character, especially when he's been the star of the show since day one and has been associated with the mascot of the franchise, at least for the anime, for over ten years as well. Plus, Pokemon still does really well in terms of ratings in Japan, from what I understand at least, so I don't think that the writers would want to take an unnecessary risk with making a change that huge. Pikachu probably is a significant reason as to why Ash is still the main lead, but I'm not sure if it's the entire reason since they easily could just give the new trainer a Pikachu as well. Still, I don't think that they're interested in replacing Ash and I'm okay with it. I like seeing all of his different journeys, the way he trains his teams for battle and his interactions with his friends. He's not the best lead character, but I still think he's fun.

I also wouldn't try to compare this situation to Yu-Gi-Oh! and Digimon replacing their characters with every new series since they're not really similar. Both Digimon and Yu-Gi-Oh! series are structured differently than Pokemon. They're all toyetic shows, although Yu-Gi-Oh! didn't really start out that way, but there isn't a main mascot for Digimon or Yu-Gi-Oh!, human or otherwise. Except for the first two series, each Digimon series is set in a different universe and has a planned beginning and ending within around fifty-two episodes, although I think that the last couple of series had less than that. Plus, Digimon series don't go on as long as Pokemon does and there are years where there aren't any new Digimon series airing in Japan. As for Yu-Gi-Oh!, I don't think that they could have kept the DM cast on for future series. Not only had they covered all they could of the manga volumes, but I'm not sure if the original creator would have approved for the series to still follow Yugi and his friends. I think he wanted to end it with saying that Yugi's adventures were just beginning and leaving it up to the readers' imagination as to what happened to him exactly. I guess they could have had Yugi and his friends go through new challenges and decks in other series, but I don't think that it would have worked well with promoting the newest cards, especially when I can't really see Yugi, Joey or Kaiba changing their decks that much or that often with new cards, and based on Yugi and Kaiba's cameos in GX, I don't think that they'd feel comfortable with showing the original characters at a different age. Plus, I don't think constantly changing side characters in favor showing new cards, instead of doing a complete overhaul with the cast, would work that well, especially since that would reduce the amount of new cards they'd be able to show, and I'm not sure where they could have taken the original cast after the Ceremonial Duel anyway. The writers are able to use Ash again and again because he just likes traveling and doesn't mind starting over again with a new team. I don't think that they could do the same for the main characters in those series, especially with their endings.

I don't know why people are talking as if he'd be "replaced." It would be a new show entirely, so it wouldn't be a replacement.

One series would end and another would begin. And people really need to stop acting like most would care that Ash would be gone NOW...after 15 years when most would have no reaction to the character being retired.

Kids watching the show today have not been watching for 13 years, they have no more attachment to Ash than any other character. Older fans are now in their 20's+, any older fan who is this attached to a character that has long been done to death over 700 episodes really needs to move on. There's no reason to mind either, Ash is not going to be here in the year 2050.

Why should One Piece count for this? The bond between the pirate main character and his pirate crewmates has been emphasized so much that permanently replacing crew members in it wouldn't make sense.

Anyway, Ash has been around since the 1st generation. Since they've been keeping him this long, I don't think he should go until they stop making new generations of the Pokemon themselves. (Which doesn't mean stop making Pokemon games ever again.) Which I wish they'd do soon too, but I know not to expect that to happen.

And even with Ash getting replaced, I'd want there still to be a Pikachu around. But I don't think the writers would want to get rid of Ash's Pikachu to replace it with another one. They want to use Ash as long as they can. And as long as viewers are fine with Ash, they'll use him. The makers of the show don't seem to mind letting kids know that Ash has been around for a while. Besides, while kids haven't been watching since 1997, older relatives of theirs had, so people of multiple generations recognize Ash.

But upon them replacing Ash, I wouldn't be incredibly sad about it. I'd be glad because they'd have given Ash some closure. (And I'm not expecting a masterpiece of a closure.) I'd lose interest in watching much of future Pokemon anime, but I'd be fine with that.

And it's one thing to not want Ash to leave, but I don't think anyone should be so upset upon a situation where Ash were to get replaced after some generation (unless they specifically want to see how Ash handles traveling to a certain generation's region). He'll have been around for 700+ episodes. If you haven't seen close to that many of those episodes, then you're in for a treat with many episodes you get to see with Ash. If you did see close to that many, there are many reruns to see, even if you've seen many of them already.

I don't think, from a television viewer's standpoint, the idea "What? Ash is getting replaced? The 700+ episodes there are of Ash aren't enough for me" is that convincing. Surely in 700+ episodes you can find enough to keep watching more than once. And if not, there are other shows, and activities to do anyway. Again, what I'm talking about now is the situation where Ash has been replaced.
    Last edited by Rex Kamex; 11th July 2011 at 10:40 AM.
    Seasons =/= Regions

MEGA F'ING AMPHAROS!!! Ampharos King's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Well its no more a plot device than Ash getting a Pikachu as his starter because Bulba/Squirtle/Charmander were already taken.
    The writers were actually planning on giving Ash a Clefairy instead. I felt that it was absolutely intentional for the writers to give Ash a first pokemon other than one of the three starters. Look at it from this angle: Ash supposedly had three "rivals" at the start of Kanto, just so that there would be enough trainers to take all three of those starters at Oak's lab. Two of those rivals, whom were never seen on-screen, had decided to quit after getting only five badges. It was never a "plot device."

If Ash isn't "tied down" to the franchise, then Pikachu should not be, either. And we know that this isn't the case. To this day, Ash and Pikachu are still interacting with each other in the anime. If the writers had wanted to scrap both characters at the end of the saga, Pikachu probably would not have learned Electro Ball.

The writers could very well have another young trainer take the reigns, and have him use a Pikachu for advertising and mascot purposes. But then what would happen? Would that young trainer interact with his or her Pikachu in the same way that Ash interacts with his? Would that young trainer also have a rival character, one who takes all of the qualities of Ash's past rivals in a blender? Would that young trainer be accompanied by other characters in that region; those characters very well being game characters? What then, would be the purpose of scrapping Ash's character in the first place?

Compared to Yu-Gi-Oh! or Digimon, both series which tend to replace the main characters at the end of every "season," the Pocket Monsters is generally much more popular than either in Japan. The Pocket Monsters anime is generally aimed towards children. Subjects such as death, self-mutilation, maniac-depression, and warfare are often covered in both Yu-Gi-Oh! and Digimon. The age ranges of the main characters in both series have been from 10 years old to well over 20 years old. We know that both franchises target much older audiences. However, the fact that Pocket Monsters has remained relatively lighthearted after 14 years just proves that the writers are not ready to make that change to an older demographic. The oldest major characters in the series are either in their late teens, or early 20's.
    Last edited by Ampharos King; 11th July 2011 at 10:36 AM.

If the writers thought they could not replace characters they would not keep doing it. The original trio would have stayed for the entire run and Misty and Brock would be in every saga.

The only reason people are saying this is Ash hasn't left, but it's not unthinkable.

Otherwise why isn't the shows cast n

Blog Entries

If older fans would leave if Ash does, and newer fans don't care, then the question becomes "Why DID Ash survive all these story arcs?" The writers evidently thought they could still do it. There has to be a reason.
    Step into the Fairy circle

Quote Originally Posted by Ashfangirl22 View Post
    Each Yugioh/Digimon have replaced there characters each series and yah know what? Fans complain that both shows are horrible now.
    Some do, anyway. Still, the fact that they're still making Yu-Gi-Oh! series and Digimon series suggests they're still doing well in ratings and stuff. But I'll still wait and see what happens after Japan's current Yu-Gi-Oh! series and Digimon series end.
    Seasons =/= Regions

Not A Piece of Cake Bubble Frog's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow Bubble Frog on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Rex Kamex View Post
    Some do, anyway. Still, the fact that they're still making Yu-Gi-Oh! series and Digimon series suggests they're still doing well in ratings and stuff. But I'll still wait and see what happens after Japan's current Yu-Gi-Oh! series and Digimon series end.
    Pokemon is in the top 10 in ratings for Anime in Japan. Yu-Gi-Oh isn't in the top 10, it ranks lower even lower then reruns of other Anime sometimes, and Digimon ranks around the area of good,but it's still much lower then Pokemon.
    Last edited by Bubble Frog; 11th July 2011 at 01:32 PM.

I love how people act like Ash leaving would be any different than Misty or Brock leaving. If the cast is so important, how were the writers able to get rid of 2/3rds of the original trio?

What impact would Ash's departure have other than older fans finally getting an ending and closure?

Case in point, just like there is no more original trio, there can be no more Ash. Why isn't the cast now the same as it was in 1998 then? Ash has no major relevance compared to Pikachu or the original cast.

Would anyone like to provide an explanation?

I don't think Ash should be replaced, they could change him a little though. I mean why does Ash has to start off as the same loser he was in the first episode every time he goes to a new region? It's getting pretty annoying.

Super Moderator Hidden Mew's Avatar Forum Head

I love how people act like Ash leaving would be any different than Misty or Brock leaving. If the cast is so important, how were the writers able to get rid of 2/3rds of the original trio?

What impact would Ash's departure have other than older fans finally getting an ending and closure?

Case in point, just like there is no more original trio, there can be no more Ash. Why isn't the cast now the same as it was in 1998 then? Ash has no major relevance compared to Pikachu or the original cast.

Replacing Ash would be different than with Misty and Brock. While they were part of the original trio and probably the most recognizable human characters of the show, along with Ash, due to being the first group in the franchise and when it was at the peak of its popularity, they weren't the stars of the show. That would be Ash. It has always been about Ash and Pikachu traveling together, catching new Pokemon and making new friends along the way. Even if some future traveling companions were more active in their series than Misty and Brock, specifically May and Dawn, Ash was still the main character and received the most focus. Changing the main character who has been the focus of each series from the start feels quite different than replacing traveling companions. To be perfectly honest, I don't think that Ash's departure would offer much closure and I don't think the writers are really interested in appealing to the show's older fans over the actual target audience. Besides, I think that they would just have Ash and Pikachu traveling to another unnamed region since Ash obviously likes to travel and wouldn't want to be in a position where he had to stay in one location for a significant period of time, such as a Gym Leader or a Frontier Brain.

As for why the cast isn't the same now as it was back in 1998, or 1997 when the series started in Japan, I think that the writers wanted to introduce new characters from the newest games and put them in the main cast. I believe that there was some information from a website or a blog from one of the writers that said that they wanted to try something different with introducing Contests and having new characters to boost ratings. Given Misty's personality, I don't think that she would have wanted to do Contests and they still wanted to show new characters from the R/S games. Granted, they could have replaced Ash then and it might have worked, but the fact that they didn't and they haven't after all these years shows that they are comfortable with using Ash. The show is still successful with good ratings and the movies tend to do well. I just don't think that there is any financial motivation for the writers to replace Ash.

Quote Originally Posted by Rex Kamex
    I'd imagine that the sales from the merchandise helps keep those series going too. I'm not familiar with how Digimon does in that department, but Yu-Gi-Oh! cards sell like hotcakes and I think that it does pretty well with the video games since there's at least one video game released every year. That probably helps keep the show's on the air more so than their ratings. Zexal, the newest Yu-Gi-Oh! series, just started in Japan a couple of months ago, but I don't think its ratings have been that impressive.

Not A Piece of Cake Bubble Frog's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow Bubble Frog on Tumblr

You think Ash leaving would be the best for the franchise? I have a question to ask you. What would be the point in it? The Pokemon shows gets top 10 every week in ratings, the games break selling records, the toys sell like new cars, and the franchise is pretty successful for Nintendo and one of Nintendo's biggest franchise. My question is, why take the risk? The franchise is doing very very very good, what's the point in risking all that? And no, closure, and development aren't the answers because those don't matter, the money does since this show was invented to sell stuff. The Pokemon Cartoon is doing it's job, it's making people buy toys and video games, so what's the point in it? Going through the trouble of making a new hero, promoting him, who would have a Pikachu and collect badges, have to meet filler characters and do all the stuff Ash is doing now? And risking the originality of people knowing his character? What's the point?

Page 3 of 68 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast