Do you think Ash/Satoshi should be replaced? - Page 12
Page 12 of 68 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you think Ash/Satoshi should be replaced?

Also known as Kameinu. himanuts's Avatar
    Follow himanuts On Twitter Add himanuts on Facebook Add himanuts on Google+
    Follow himanuts on Tumblr Visit himanuts's Youtube Channel

Default Re: Do you think Satoshi should be replaced?

Quote Originally Posted by Adamant View Post
    What in the world are you talking about?

The original Spider-man, the one introduced in the 60s, is still around. He's the core version of the character. He's never been rebooted. What HAS been done is the creation of a couple short-lived, alternate universes, most of which only last a couple years, and none of which are intended to "replace the original and become that generation's version of the character". They're just alternate versions of the universe because you can't keep a fuckload of movies and TV series in the same continuity without creating a mess of everything. They're no more reboots than all the different Pokemon manga series and the anime are "reboots" of the video game storyline.

(also, I have no idea what you tried to accomplish by linking to that wikipedia page, because that has nothing to do with any of this)
    Whatever, core Spiderman may not had been rebooted, but other continuities have. Best example is the movie series. That was what I was pointing at.The concept of rebooting. God.

Yes, and Pokemon has had a dozen different manga series and an anime series, all of which have nothing to do with each other and restart from square one.

What are you even trying to say? You're not making sense here.
    Making a new continuity for the anime. Be it a new version of Ash or a new hero.

If you don't comprehend the concept of reboot, go look at the new Thundercats series. It's the best current example.

Yes, and Pokemon has had a dozen different manga series and an anime series, all of which have nothing to do with each other and restart from square one.

What are you even trying to say? You're not making sense here.
    The anime hasn't had a true reboot yet, but they're doing false starts by resetting Ash's character as if it was one. Serialized shows cannot go on forever without being rebooted.

Blog Entries

Follow CommanderPigg on Tumblr Visit CommanderPigg's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Piplup View Post
    I don't think saying to people they can stop watching isn't "respectful" - I'm just honestly not able to understand why some people act as if they're forced to watch... I'd seriously want an answer to that... I'll stop saying it and I'm sorry if that annoyed anyone, but I do find it very related to the current thread's discussion... if some people aren't content with Ash still being here and are really against the way the show is going right now- why are they still watching? also, if they aren't content with the current series, will these people really be happy in case Ash IS replaced? cause as far as I can see, even if Ash was replaced, the show would stay exactly the same as it is now, just with a different face for the main guy... same Gyms, same two sidekicks, same everything, same never ending journey... just with a different face - wouldn't that be the same or worse than just keeping Ash?
    Short answer? People are masochists :P
    But, on a serious note, yes. I'd prefer it if that response was not given because we all obviously have our own reasons for watching the show, no matter what our criticisms may be.

I'll answer truthfully to the second part, but this won't have much to do with marketing or common sense or anything. It's just my personal opinion. I think, specifically for BW, they really should have replaced Ash with another protagonist. I say this because I really like Ash, and for him to be dragged on for eternity on a fairly goal-oriented series like Pokemon, would just be exhausting for his character.

The plot for the BW games I think would benefit being retold or summarized in the anime...and I think that Touya (aka, a blank slate) would have been a better story teller for that specific purpose than Ash would have been.

I've already stated that I was really satisfied with how DP ended in terms of Ash's main plot. So...in a way, to see Ash again without the prestige of having won top 4 in a league tournament...or winning against a legendary...it's just kinda weird.

I'm not sure if the series would have been that much different, or successful, but it would have been interesting seeing a different layout for the story.

Again, my opinion.

"seasons change, people change"

Not A Piece of Cake Bubble Frog's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow Bubble Frog on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Alphaphlare View Post
    Ash peaked that why he should get replaced. The risk would be worth because Pike is freakin' awesome if I do say so myself.
    I don't know who "Pike" is. But, Satoshi has no where near peaked, even he didn't know about Pururiru's "Cursed Body" Ability. Even then, it would be pretty sloppy managing to replace Satoshi because he "peaked". The producers worked hard getting this franchise were it is today, I don't see why they would risk all that just for the sake of doing what older anime fans on the Internet want.

True, it may be interesting to see how things would go down. I just don't see why the writers would even risk there Multi-Million Dollar Merchandising Franchise for the hell of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kameinu View Post
    Whatever, core Spiderman may not had been rebooted, but other continuities have. Best example is the movie series. That was what I was pointing at.The concept of rebooting. God.
    You said "Each generation has his Spider-man", so... your Spider-man is the one who was in 3 movie and then stopped existing? Why can't you "Pokemon main character guy" be the one from Diamond and Pearl Adventure? That continuity got completed and droppd, and that was just as much a reboot as the Spider-man movie series.
    Also, if you meant "Spider-man the movie character", say so, because he's hardly who people think of when they say "Spider-man", and given that the new movie-verse hasn't started yet, there's no existing reboot of that either.

Actually just fuck it. We got people comparing franchises to spinoffs to core continuities to god knows what, and not clarifying WHAT they mean either.
    So.

Quote Originally Posted by Gliscor'd View Post
    Why did they get rid of Brock after 13 years? What difference does it make?
    1. Brock is just a sidekick
    2. Brock already left once, it isn't shocking he'd leave again
    3. The fact Brock left and many other past-series were removed yet Ash is still here should tell you something: everything other than Ash and Pikachu is allowed to be replaced/changed, but Ash and Pikachu are something the writers can't agree to ever throw away, proved by them staying for more than 14 years, unlike all other characters and stuff that were removed

Any effort into a new male lead is about the same they had to put into Dawn last gen.
    AGAIN: they CAN replace Ash but they have NO reason to do it
    How many times should I repeat that till you get it?

None of those shows follow a serialized story like Pokemon does.
    Pokémon is a never ending story, always was, always will be

resetting Ash's character
    Already proved wrong, he's the same Ash as always...

Serialized shows cannot go on forever without being rebooted.
    Your made up idea, not a fact, Pokémon and Ash's story CAN (and likely will) continue forever, wether you like it or not

Also known as Kameinu. himanuts's Avatar
    Follow himanuts On Twitter Add himanuts on Facebook Add himanuts on Google+
    Follow himanuts on Tumblr Visit himanuts's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Piplup View Post
    Pokémon and Ash's story CAN (and likely will) continue forever, wether you like it or not
    I've already stated why I don't wish for it to continue forever. I don't want to see this characters a bad closure. Keeping things the way they are, all I see is a negative future, be it near or far.

So I ask you, cause I'm sincerely curious. What good do you believe will come out of keeping Ash? What is the point of stretching him to no bounds? Why do you wish for this show to go on forever?

I've already stated why I don't wish for it to continue forever. I don't want to see this characters a bad closure. Keeping things the way they are, all I see is a negative future, be it near or far.

So I ask you, cause I'm sincerely curious. What good do you believe will come out of keeping Ash? What is the point of stretching him to no bounds? Why do you wish for this show to go on forever?
    I watched all eps and enjoyed them all and still continue to enjoy the show to this day and I simply love it the way it is... I also just don't see any reason they'd ever want to remove Ash
    I suggest to stop taking things too seriously and just try to enjoy it for what it is

Actually just fuck it.
    This is pretty much what I feel right now... I wrote too much walls of text and I'm repeating myself again and again
    So I think I'll just stop replying in this thread - if anyone is interested at my opinion, just read all my replies here again, cause I said everything I have to say about this

Official Link Fanglomper SSJ_Jup81's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Add SSJ_Jup81 on Facebook
    Visit SSJ_Jup81's Youtube Channel

Spongebob never established any real sense of reality ot continuity. Which the Pokemon Anime has.
    In the beginning, I felt that it did. Spongebob was out on his own, having just moved away from home from his parents and trying to hold down a job and going to sort of a "night school" for driving. Later eps, Spongebob is portrayed as a kid himself as opposed to an adult.

Blog Entries

Follow CommanderPigg on Tumblr Visit CommanderPigg's Youtube Channel

Okie dokie! And with that, can we please get back on topic (from...everything?)? Thank yoooouuu!

"seasons change, people change"

Official Link Fanglomper SSJ_Jup81's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Add SSJ_Jup81 on Facebook
    Visit SSJ_Jup81's Youtube Channel

In Japan, the longer a VA does the same role the more they are paid. They must be paying Satoshi's VA a fortune. Its the same reason Dragonball Kai had to recast some of their actors, the ones from 20 years ago were too expensive.
    I thought every single seiyuu returned 'cept for those who had died, like say Tenshinhan's seiyuu (who ironically voiced original Sakaki for Pokemon).

I don't think they would have to actually hire more voice actors/actresses if they got rid of Satoshi.

NO JUST NO! Must I remind anyone about what happened to Yu-Gi-Oh when they made GX? Or what about the outburst from the fans that happened when Akira Toriyama wanted to make Gohan the main character of Dragonball Z?

Quote Originally Posted by bpj1999 View Post
    NO JUST NO! Must I remind anyone about what happened to Yu-Gi-Oh when they made GX? Or what about the outburst from the fans that happened when Akira Toriyama wanted to make Gohan the main character of Dragonball Z?
    What does this have to do with Pokemon? The games have new heroes every gen.

Pokemon is about a human capturing/battling with creatures. That would not change.

Not A Piece of Cake Bubble Frog's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow Bubble Frog on Tumblr

What does this have to do with Pokemon? The games have new heroes every gen.

Pokemon is about a human capturing/battling with creatures. That would not change.
    Scott, can you please answer this one question. This one burning question, I haven't heard from you? Why should Satoshi be replaced? Why would the writers risk it? Why?

Quote Originally Posted by gotpika View Post
    Why should Satoshi be replaced? Why would the writers risk it? Why?
    LMAO, I've answered this question 10 times already. There is NO risk. New generation of kids watch each saga.

The writers can drop Ash for the same reason any other main character has been dropped. And yes, Ash's friends aren't as important as he was, but they were still once in every episode and in the early days, Misty/Brock "seemed" as important to the anime in general, and now they're both gone.

Page 12 of 68 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262 ... LastLast