Do you think Ash/Satoshi should be replaced? - Page 11

Page 11 of 68 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 165 of 1020
Like Tree358Likes

Thread: Do you think Ash/Satoshi should be replaced?

  1. #151
    Registered User Adamant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    2,895

    Default Re: Do you think Satoshi should be replaced?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kameinu View Post
    WTF? Do I need to count the different continuities for that character? o_o
    "making a new short-live alternate continuity while still keeping the original character around" != "rebooting"
    So.

  2. #152
    覚えてる? CommanderPigg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Gender
    Uncertain
    Location
    Floriderp
    Posts
    3,468
    Blog Entries
    95

    Follow CommanderPigg on Tumblr Visit CommanderPigg's Youtube Channel

    Default Re: Do you think Satoshi should be replaced?

    Again, can we please be respectful? Telling someone to stop watching a show is not an example of that. Final warning.

    Thank you.

    "seasons change, people change"

  3. #153
    Also known as Kameinu. himanuts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    .....
    Posts
    1,104
    Follow himanuts On Twitter Add himanuts on Facebook Add himanuts on Google+
    Follow himanuts on Tumblr Visit himanuts's Youtube Channel

    Default Re: Do you think Satoshi should be replaced?

    Quote Originally Posted by CommanderPigg View Post
    MOD NOTE: I'm going to remind everyone that this thread, at its very core, is still a rhetorical and opinion-based question ("Do you feel bored of having Satoshi as the main character for so long, or are you glad the writers decided to keep him around for as long as they have?"); So I ask of everyone to be respectful in their arguments with this in mind. Whether or not it's in the nature of the show to keep Ash around is something that's up for speculation and debate, but not set in stone. For either side.

    Thank you.
    You're right, and I apologize since I believe I've added fuel to that fire.

    To clear things up. I'm just saying what I do because I just want the best for the character and do not wish to him get run into the ground without acomplishing his dreams or competently proving he can maintain consistency to do so. Replacing him or rebooting him are the only two options. And so far I believe the latter is the safest one.

    Quote Originally Posted by Adamant View Post
    "making a new short-live alternate continuity while still keeping the original character around" != "rebooting"
    .....

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reboot_(fiction)

  4. #154
    cute patootie Sheep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    3,214
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: Do you think Satoshi should be replaced?

    From a business standpoint, the writers would be taking a huge risk by trying to replace him. The show's doing very well at the moment; enough not to warrant any major change like that. Right now, those who think Satoshi should leave are part of the minority and, as others have said, not the target audience. I understand that, despite being a minority, we're still part of the weekly viewer ratings (the people who watch it live, I mean; our views count towards the counter as much as the five year-old next to us) meaning we hold some importance. I'm sure the staff of the anime do think of all of us older fans, but we aren't their main priority. And we're really the only ones who think about this to such an extent.

    Kids get what they want out of this show, really. A main character whose personality is amusing and could easily be compared to their own, an interesting storyline, and, of course, they get to see their adored Pocket Monsters on screen. Satoshi has the best personality a main character on a children's show can have since he could relate to almost every watcher. Side characters are there so we have a different flavor (I'm turning into Dento I swear). They're the sauce on our hotdog

    There'd be no point in switching to a new main who'd have a personality similar to Satoshi when we already have the characters he travels with filling the role of "switching around so interest isn't lost." It's not like the show gets stale either, since we're introduced to brand new side characters, Pokemon, rivals, and enemy groups every generation. They don't have to alter more than they need to.

    So my answer is no. Better to be safe than sorry. Also, if it isn't broken, don't try to fix it QQ;
    New Member's Guide to BMGf
    icon by twilightblade

  5. #155
    XY Piplup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    8,110

    Default Re: Do you think Satoshi should be replaced?

    I don't think saying to people they can stop watching isn't "respectful" - I'm just honestly not able to understand why some people act as if they're forced to watch... I'd seriously want an answer to that... I'll stop saying it and I'm sorry if that annoyed anyone, but I do find it very related to the current thread's discussion... if some people aren't content with Ash still being here and are really against the way the show is going right now- why are they still watching? also, if they aren't content with the current series, will these people really be happy in case Ash IS replaced? cause as far as I can see, even if Ash was replaced, the show would stay exactly the same as it is now, just with a different face for the main guy... same Gyms, same two sidekicks, same everything, same never ending journey... just with a different face - wouldn't that be the same or worse than just keeping Ash?

  6. #156
    Registered User The Fighting Misty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    28,646
    Blog Entries
    49

    Default Re: Do you think Satoshi should be replaced?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dento View Post
    From a business standpoint, the writers would be taking a huge risk by trying to replace him.
    I see people say this, but what exactly is the, "risk."

    When a new generation begins, little kids will be interested in seeing all the new pokemon animated from their games. Much in the same way kids now notice that Dawn/Brock are no longer there and replaced with Iris/Cilan, what difference would it make to see all new characters next gen? I'm even willing to bet most of the kids who grew up watching DP as their first saga have probably already "outgrown" the show and aren't watching Best Wishes. Any kid who was 10 when DP was airing is now 15....they've moved on to other things.

    How could the writers be risking anything when the Pokemon are the stars? I ask this again, any little kids that stop watching because "Ash" is not there is either a small minority and it doesn't matter because they'll be replaced by new kids.

    Same way any of us older fans who stop watching don't make a difference. We're replaced by new younger kids who weren't even born when the first season was airing.

    There is no "risk," because the target audience is new each gen.

  7. #157
    Registered User Adamant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    2,895

    Default Re: Do you think Satoshi should be replaced?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kameinu View Post
    What in the world are you talking about?

    The original Spider-man, the one introduced in the 60s, is still around. He's the core version of the character. He's never been rebooted. What HAS been done is the creation of a couple short-lived, alternate universes, most of which only last a couple years, and none of which are intended to "replace the original and become that generation's version of the character". They're just alternate versions of the universe because you can't keep a fuckload of movies and TV series in the same continuity without creating a mess of everything. They're no more reboots than all the different Pokemon manga series and the anime are "reboots" of the video game storyline.

    (also, I have no idea what you tried to accomplish by linking to that wikipedia page, because that has nothing to do with any of this)
    So.

  8. #158
    Registered User The Fighting Misty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    28,646
    Blog Entries
    49

    Default Re: Do you think Satoshi should be replaced?

    Quote Originally Posted by Adamant View Post
    What in the world are you talking about?

    The original Spider-man, the one introduced in the 60s, is still around. He's the core version of the character. He's never been rebooted. What HAS been done is the creation of a couple short-lived, alternate universes, most of which only last a couple years, and none of which are intended to "replace the original and become that generation's version of the character". They're just alternate versions of the universe because you can't keep a fuckload of movies and TV series in the same continuity without creating a mess of everything. They're no more reboots than all the different Pokemon manga series and the anime are "reboots" of the video game storyline.
    That's not true at all. That's like saying every incarnation of Batman has been the same. They're all based on the same concept, but each Batman is its own character and not the same as a previous.

    Pokemon is about the Pokemon, not Ash.

  9. #159
    XY Piplup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    8,110

    Default Re: Do you think Satoshi should be replaced?

    But then again Scott, in that case, why would they even bother replacing Ash if according to you the kids won't care either way and for them Ash or a new hero would be the same?... I'm asking you this for 11 pages and there's yet to be an answer...

  10. #160
    Registered User The Fighting Misty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    28,646
    Blog Entries
    49

    Default Re: Do you think Satoshi should be replaced?

    Quote Originally Posted by Piplup View Post
    But then again Scott, in that case, why would they even bother replacing Ash if according to you the kids won't care either way and for them Ash or a new hero would be the same?... I'm asking you this for 11 pages and there's yet to be an answer...
    Perhaps they would want to do a real reboot someday. I never thought Ash would be here forever, because its obvious the games will go on as long as Nintendo exists (forever), but Ash isn't the type of character you'd expect to still see on television in the year 2050.

  11. #161
    Registered User Adamant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    2,895

    Default Re: Do you think Satoshi should be replaced?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gliscor'd View Post
    That's not true at all. That's like saying every incarnation of Batman has been the same. They're all based on the same concept, but each Batman is its own character and not the same as a previous.
    Batman has been rebooted. Spider-man has not. We were talking about Spider-man, not Batman.
    So.

  12. #162
    Registered User The Fighting Misty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    28,646
    Blog Entries
    49

    Default Re: Do you think Satoshi should be replaced?

    Quote Originally Posted by Adamant View Post
    Batman has been rebooted. Spider-man has not. We were talking about Spider-man, not Batman.
    The new Spiderman movie coming out next year is a reboot, not connected to the three previous movies. Spiderman has also had about 5 different cartoons, all of which have nothing to do with each other and restart from square one.

    Pokemon has had psuedo-reboots, they try to start fresh each new gen but since Ash is still there, as well as TR and sometimes Brock, they're all the same continuity.

  13. #163
    XY Piplup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    8,110

    Default Re: Do you think Satoshi should be replaced?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gliscor'd View Post
    Perhaps they would want to do a real reboot someday.
    Why? You're still not giving any real reason they'd do it after more than 14 years

    I never thought Ash would be here forever,
    That was your personal opinion/speculation, fact is he did last much longer than you expect and... guess what? it seems to work... again, why would they randomly remove Ash from the show after 14 years?

    because its obvious the games will go on as long as Nintendo exists (forever), but Ash isn't the type of character you'd expect to still see on television in the year 2050.
    Why? If Sazae-san and many others can do it, Ash can do it too... you're once again trying to make up reasons to support your opinion, yet your arguments makes no sense and you're STILL not providing me even ONE logical reason for them to remove Ash

  14. #164
    Registered User The Fighting Misty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    28,646
    Blog Entries
    49

    Default Re: Do you think Satoshi should be replaced?

    Quote Originally Posted by Piplup View Post
    That was your personal opinion/speculation, fact is he did last much longer than you expect and... guess what? it seems to work... again, why would they randomly remove Ash from the show after 14 years?
    Why did they get rid of Brock after 13 years? What difference does it make? Any effort into a new male lead is about the same they had to put into Dawn last gen.

    Why? If Sazae-san and many others can do it, Ash can do it too... you're once again trying to make up reasons to support your opinion, yet your arguments makes no sense and you're STILL not providing me even ONE logical reason for them to remove Ash
    None of those shows follow a serialized story like Pokemon does.

  15. #165
    Registered User Adamant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    2,895

    Default Re: Do you think Satoshi should be replaced?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gliscor'd View Post
    The new Spiderman movie coming out next year is a reboot, not connected to the three previous movies. Spiderman has also had about 5 different cartoons, all of which have nothing to do with each other and restart from square one.
    Yes, and Pokemon has had a dozen different manga series and an anime series, all of which have nothing to do with each other and restart from square one.

    What are you even trying to say? You're not making sense here.
    So.

Page 11 of 68 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •