Do you think Ash/Satoshi should be replaced? - Page 10

Page 10 of 68 FirstFirst ... 891011122060 ... LastLast
Results 136 to 150 of 1020
Like Tree358Likes

Thread: Do you think Ash/Satoshi should be replaced?

  1. #136
    XY Piplup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    8,110

    Default Re: Do you think Satoshi should be replaced?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gliscor'd View Post
    Of course its true. You think Satoshi's VA is paid the same now as she was back in 1997? Of course not.
    Again, why it even matters? You brought that up as a try to say it might be a reason for them to remove Ash, yet the fact it's already been 14 years proves your theory ridiculous because if they didn't have problems with this for 14 years, they likely won't have any problem in the next 14 years either

    You're just insisting for the sake of it and you still ignore me and other users asking you WHY would the writers want to remove Ash

  2. #137
    ひっでぇ・・・ Sushi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    57

    Default Re: Do you think Satoshi should be replaced?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gliscor'd View Post
    I don't see why this cannot be accomplished.
    They can. Is it worth the bother? Hardly.
    What are they reusing? Almost all those old Ash/Pikachu stock footage isn't used anymore to begin with.
    They've got settei for them showing them in practically any pose and with any expression they could possibly have.

    LOL, as if they don't already do this for every new main character that comes every saga. By this logic why did they get rid of Brock? They had to do all this for Dento, my goodness, what work!
    Yeah, and how many years did it take them to do it? We aren't dealing with the most venturesome and change-loving people ever. It's pretty certain that at least one character is replaced after each series, so why bother to switch even more if it simply isn't needed? The breath of fresh air - from the perspective of someone who sticks around for more than one series - is provided in the form of new heroines or sidekicks and doesn't have to extend to the main character.
    The longer a VA stays, the more they have to pay them.
    I don't know anything about VA wages, but if you say so. They certainly didn't give a crap the last 15 years.
    Its not fresh because no matter what, the writers still bring up events from past sagas from time to time. BW will probably do the same later on.
    So when it's more convenient, you say "BW is trying to cut all ties to previous series", but if it isn't, you concede that they do make references from time to time?

  3. #138
    Registered User The Fighting Misty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    28,646
    Blog Entries
    49

    Default Re: Do you think Satoshi should be replaced?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sushi View Post
    They can. Is it worth the bother? Hardly.
    I am not seeing the logic here. Using this point why did the writers even bother changing the anime so much after Johto? All those new ideas that were introduced in either AG, DP or BW didn't have to happen if the writers were, "lazy." Paul didn't have to exist, neither did Hunter J, the tremendous screentime for the Contests, etc.

    Its not like an E4 arc would be any longer than a standard tournament, maybe 10 eps at the most.

    They've got settei for them showing them in practically any pose and with any expression they could possibly have.
    They introduce new characters every saga. They now have the same for Iris and Cilan. Again, having to do it once more for a third main character makes no difference.

    Yeah, and how many years did it take them to do it? We aren't dealing with the most venturesome and change-loving people ever. It's pretty certain that at least one character is replaced after each series, so why bother to switch even more if it simply isn't needed? The breath of fresh air - from the perspective of someone who sticks around for more than one series - is provided in the form of new heroines or sidekicks and doesn't have to extend to the main character.
    Iris and Cilan will both be gone at the end of BW. At this rate there will be at least 2 new characters each arc. Likewise all the rivals are always replaced. You're acting like its "so much extra work" to do a new male, like it makes any difference with all the other new designs they constantly have to use every 4 years.

    I don't know anything about VA wages, but if you say so. They certainly didn't give a crap the last 15 years.
    The VA salary obviously wasn't as high for Satoshi in the early days. I also highly suspect Takeshi's VA salary being as high as it was after 13 years might have been a contributing reason for him finally being axed. TR are very expensive too, no wonder why they're not in every episode anymore.

    So when it's more convenient, you say "BW is trying to cut all ties to previous series", but if it isn't, you concede that they do make references from time to time?
    We know that, but BW does feel like much more a clean slate than AG or DP ever did. In AG and DP we got CONSTANT references to the past, almost every 2-3 episodes. BW has had none outside a brief scene in BW1 and Looker in the TR/TP eps. They wouldn't even show TR saying goodbye to their Pokemon and did it off-screen, simply because they didn't want those pokes to be seen in BW.

    Sushi, this is what they can do. Your points would only have merit if they kept the same cast and rivals throughout all 15 years.

  4. #139
    Also known as Kameinu. himanuts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    .....
    Posts
    1,104
    Follow himanuts On Twitter Add himanuts on Facebook Add himanuts on Google+
    Follow himanuts on Tumblr Visit himanuts's Youtube Channel

    Default Re: Do you think Satoshi should be replaced?

    Quote Originally Posted by Adamant View Post
    No, he doesn't. Stop making shit up to support your claims.
    WTF? Do I need to count the different continuities for that character? o_o

  5. #140
    覚えてる? CommanderPigg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Gender
    Uncertain
    Location
    Floriderp
    Posts
    3,468
    Blog Entries
    95

    Follow CommanderPigg on Tumblr Visit CommanderPigg's Youtube Channel

    Default Re: Do you think Satoshi should be replaced?

    Last I checked, VA pay isn't very high in Japan...You start as a Rookie and work yourself up to a Veteran through a 10 tier system (the VA is evaluated every few years to see which rank he or she falls into...I don't think you can skip ranks). That determines your pay - not really what character you play, just how long you've been doing it.

    A lot of Seiyuus refuse to "rank up" because if they become too expensive, no one would want to hire them. Of course, it's been a while since I did Seiyuu research, so if anyone can correct me, please go ahead @_@

    It might be a contributing factor as to why they reboot the side characters and only keep the "staples" (Both Mamoru Miyano and Aoi Yuki are younger than their predecessors) but considering their less than glamorous pay, I highly doubt it's the main reason.

    As Sushi pointed out, replacing the side characters in a series is a lot easier than replacing the main character...who the show kinda depends on. I thought that it was made clearly evident from the start that it was Ash's and Pikachu's journey - not Misty's, or Brock's, or May's, or Dawn's or whomever's.

    Just as kids won't care if Ash is replaced because they're not supposed to watch it for 14+ years anyways, they equally will not care if Ash stays the main character...because they're not supposed to be sticking around for 14+ years ._.

    So, yeah. Why waste the effort for the same result?
    Bubble Frog and Karamazov like this.

    "seasons change, people change"

  6. #141
    Also known as Kameinu. himanuts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    .....
    Posts
    1,104
    Follow himanuts On Twitter Add himanuts on Facebook Add himanuts on Google+
    Follow himanuts on Tumblr Visit himanuts's Youtube Channel

    Default Re: Do you think Satoshi should be replaced?

    Damn you Boomerang for airing the first episode NOW. <_<

    Quote Originally Posted by Piplup View Post
    I don't agree with that at all
    Ash was constantly developed and it didn't stop in BW - BW's Ash's friends just pull out different sides of Ash from what his AG-DP friends did... Ash is the same Ash and he didn't lose any of his development
    What different side of him are Iris and Dento bringing that none of his other traveling companions have?

    Quote Originally Posted by Piplup View Post
    People are overexaggerating this... seriously... he was excited in the first two eps due to being in a brand new region with ONLY new Poké (not to mention he first arrived there as vacation and not a journey) and after that he's the same as always... what's so different/bad about the way Ash is now in BW? he's seriously the same as always... people just exaggerate things
    If you read my previous posts when quoting pokemon_fan123, you see I pretty much accept that he'd act stupid in a land foreign to him.




    Quote Originally Posted by Piplup View Post
    It's not a common sense at all to randomly believe a long running show's hero was replaced just because a new game is released, especially since Pokémon never did that before... gen 2 - Ash stay, 3 - stay, 4 - stay, 5 - he's still here
    When people will finally stop expecting him to be replaced?
    Arceus. I said "in current video game in whatever". You see there's going to be a new animated series on Halo, you expect Chief or whoever the hell is the protagonist there to lead the show, same for whatever video game franchise having a new show based on a specific game or games.

    And again, I'm already said I'm open to the option of him being REBOOTED. Which IMO is the best way to go.



    Quote Originally Posted by Piplup View Post
    You seem to talk about fans, I talk about people in general...
    Casual people have taken notice aswell. When a franchise grows this huge people take notice.



    Quote Originally Posted by Piplup View Post
    A lot of the viewers don't even play the games... it's pretty ridiculous to say that's the reason people watch it
    Kids watch the show cause they enjoy it, that's all there's to it...
    And kids watching relate to the character because they believe he'll grow, in whatever form. Because that's why kids watch journey stories, because they want to see how awesome the character goes from point A to point B. Which Ash isn't doing.


    Quote Originally Posted by Piplup View Post
    That's your own personal conclusion - a conclusion that the 20 years old myself disagree with, because I enjoy this never ending story for what it is, and your conclusion is certainly not one that I expect little kids to share with you
    An opinion shared by many others, and most likely will be shared by many that are kids now one day.

    And yeah, what it is. As I said, a rinse and repeat never ending loop, that treats everything that's established like crap.



    Quote Originally Posted by Piplup View Post
    Or you know - the kids will watch this cartoon cause they enjoy it, later some will stick to it like us and some will stop caring about it, while new kids will come in their place
    And so on, and so on. Until one day it's gotten so stupid that the show may end abrutly. Which is sad. Why not stop this before it gets out of hand?



    Quote Originally Posted by Piplup View Post
    Or... you know... some watched because they just found this cartoon entertaining and don't overanalyze stuff
    Yeah, because the same formula for 700+ episodes is fun.



    Quote Originally Posted by Piplup View Post
    No one really have to know said past continuity in order to enjoy the show, so it doesn't really matter... you can start with BW and enjoy it even without ever watching older eps
    Enjoy it and pretty much be lied to believe this is brand new story writing while it's the same trap set each generation.


    Quote Originally Posted by Piplup View Post
    So they'll see some older eps and get excited to see Ash with different Pokémon and friends, that certainly won't cause them to go with your way of thinking of: "...wait, this is an endless story... ew don't want to watch it!"
    Different friends and concepts that where thrown out. More reason to realize it isn't worthit. Because in the end, all is forgotten, never brought up again, and Ash goes on the same trip like the past never happened and making the same "mistakes".



    Quote Originally Posted by Piplup View Post
    That's your personal opinion, cartoons can last long without really changing too much and still be successfull - see Sazae-san and others - Pokémon is similar to these
    Cartoons can last as long as they want, if they know how to do it well. Simpsons and Spongebob are a staple of this, and they're good at it because they don't assert the existence of continuity like Pokemon has. From what little I know about Sazae-san, it's more like the japanese version of the Simpsons, it's about a woman and her husband or something. Not about a character traveling around and having a real goal in life. I get annoyed when people compare Pokemon to that, Doraemon and Conan. Each's run and storytelling is different. Doraemon seems to follow more oneshot stories of the day, and Conan, despite being stuck in time limbo, actually cares about it's characters and produces engaging story arcs that all ages can enjoy.



    Pokemon just keeps throwing away the established, barely brings it up again, wastes a lot of time on random COTD stories and prevents Ash from maintaining his development, despite running the type of story that needs him to develope.

    I know the risk of getting rid of him. And it's why I say, rebooting is the best option. -_-

  7. #142
    XY Piplup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    8,110

    Default Re: Do you think Satoshi should be replaced?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gliscor'd View Post
    why did the writers even bother changing the anime so much after Johto?
    I hope you realize it never changed THAT much and that the whole show follows pretty much the same formulatic generic plot...
    The writing simply improved with the time, that's all... the only "big" change was the adding of Contests/girl star (and to be honest, even that wasn't really such a big change...) which served a purpose of appealing to girls which they wanted to try for AG/DP
    What purpose would removing Ash from the show would serve, exactly?

    Its not like an E4 arc would be any longer than a standard tournament, maybe 10 eps at the most.
    Eh... what? How E4 got anything to do with this thread? I hope you realize beating one region's League/E4/Champiom isn't equal to "Ash's story ending", since that's far from being a Pokémon Master (the best trainer ever in the whole world) but only one step ahead
    It's a never ending journey, no matter how much some people would like to deny it...

    They introduce new characters every saga. They now have the same for Iris and Cilan. Again, having to do it once more for a third main character makes no difference.
    I'm still waiting to hear WHY they'd do that though
    I never said it can't be done... they CAN replace Ash if they'd like to... but WHY would they like to do that? so far I answered all your arguements, why are you avoiding answering my question to you? I guess you don't know the answer?... until anyone gives a very good reason for the writers to even consider replacing Ash, the idea is simply ridiculous and extremely unlikely to happen...

    The VA salary obviously wasn't as high for Satoshi in the early days. I also highly suspect Takeshi's VA salary being as high as it was after 13 years might have been a contributing reason for him finally being axed. TR are very expensive too, no wonder why they're not in every episode anymore.
    This is ALL you assuming stuff without really knowing anything, so stop posting this as facts...
    Also, AGAIN - even if you're right, if they didn't have any problems with this for 14 years, they won't have any problems in the future either... so that arguement totally fails

    BW does feel like much more a clean slate than AG or DP ever did.
    They're just reflecting what the games did... and even if they never remind us anything from the past (which as you admitted, isn't the case) it's still no reason to remove Ash from the show
    So, AGAIN, I'm STILL waiting to hear a reason for them to remove Ash

    Sushi, this is what they can do. Your points would only have merit if they kept the same cast and rivals throughout all 15 years.
    You're missing the point that unlike all characters and stuff that were dropped during these years, Ash and Pikachu, as a pair, a set, an inseparateable duo, is something that stayed the same since the very beginning, for more than 14 years and survived all new generations and more than 700 eps, unlike the things or characters you mentioned that were dropped much earlier than that

  8. #143
    Christmas Bubble Frog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Unova
    Posts
    4,508
    Blog Entries
    185

    Follow Bubble Frog on Tumblr

    Default Re: Do you think Satoshi should be replaced?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gliscor'd View Post


    They introduce new characters every saga. They now have the same for Iris and Cilan. Again, having to do it once more for a third main character makes no difference.



    Iris and Cilan will both be gone at the end of BW. At this rate there will be at least 2 new characters each arc. Likewise all the rivals are always replaced. You're acting like its "so much extra work" to do a new male, like it makes any difference with all the other new designs they constantly have to use every 4 years.
    So, why should they replace him is what I'm not understanding. What's your point of wanting Satoshi gone? Why should Satoshi leave for another 10 year-old, Pikachu owner, with a older boy and girl traveling companion, same attitude, badge earner, who will meet filler characters every day, and league loser? Of course there most likely will be some type of Team Rocket agents chasing him every episode, so what's the point? If it's gonna be the same exact thing. Please answer my question, I've answered all yours.

    We know that, but BW does feel like much more a clean slate than AG or DP ever did. In AG and DP we got CONSTANT references to the past, almost every 2-3 episodes. BW has had none outside a brief scene in BW1 and Looker in the TR/TP eps. They wouldn't even show TR saying goodbye to their Pokemon and did it off-screen, simply because they didn't want those pokes to be seen in BW.

    Sushi, this is what they can do. Your points would only have merit if they kept the same cast and rivals throughout all 15 years.
    Except DP and AG weren't "clean slates". We've gotten tons of references.

    1.Hanako
    2.Okido-Hakase
    3.The old Pokemon being mentioned.
    4.Pikachu's moveset.
    5.Pikachu's Power.
    6.The Twinleaf Tourney award.
    7.The Soothe Bells.
    8.Haruka's Himeguma carving.
    9.The Summer School Papers.
    10.Biberal's Headband.
    11.Hansamu.
    12.Satoshi knows what a Blackie is.
    13.Satoshi knows Team Rocket and Nyasu.
    14.Nyasu can use Fury Swipes.
    15.That spinning move at the Hiun City Gym.
    16.Mentions of the old Pokemon.
    17.Satoshi and the Narator have said, things along the line of "A New Journey" meaning there are old journeys.

  9. #144
    I love Ash. Ashfangirl22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    2,403

    Default Re: Do you think Satoshi should be replaced?

    Quote Originally Posted by CommanderPigg View Post
    Last I checked, VA pay isn't very high in Japan...You start as a Rookie and work yourself up to a Veteran through a 10 tier system (the VA is evaluated every few years to see which rank he or she falls into...I don't think you can skip ranks). That determines your pay - not really what character you play, just how long you've been doing it.

    A lot of Seiyuus refuse to "rank up" because if they become too expensive, no one would want to hire them. Of course, it's been a while since I did Seiyuu research, so if anyone can correct me, please go ahead @_@

    It might be a contributing factor as to why they reboot the side characters and only keep the "staples" (Both Mamoru Miyano and Aoi Yuki are younger than their predecessors) but considering their less than glamorous pay, I highly doubt it's the main reason.

    As Sushi pointed out, replacing the side characters in a series is a lot easier than replacing the main character...who the show kinda depends on. I thought that it was made clearly evident from the start that it was Ash's and Pikachu's journey - not Misty's, or Brock's, or May's, or Dawn's or whomever's.

    Just as kids won't care if Ash is replaced because they're not supposed to watch it for 14+ years anyways, they equally will not care if Ash stays the main character...because they're not supposed to be sticking around for 14+ years ._.

    So, yeah. Why waste the effort for the same result?
    What??? What about One Piece {Luffy}?? He's been the main character I think longer than Pokemon {Ash}??? I fail to see how a character can't stay around for 14 series or longer. I still enjoy him, I've been watching Ash since the Kanto days ^
    Ash fan. Multi Ash shipper =]

  10. #145
    覚えてる? CommanderPigg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Gender
    Uncertain
    Location
    Floriderp
    Posts
    3,468
    Blog Entries
    95

    Follow CommanderPigg on Tumblr Visit CommanderPigg's Youtube Channel

    Default Re: Do you think Satoshi should be replaced?

    MOD NOTE: I'm going to remind everyone that this thread, at its very core, is still a rhetorical and opinion-based question ("Do you feel bored of having Satoshi as the main character for so long, or are you glad the writers decided to keep him around for as long as they have?"); So I ask of everyone to be respectful in their arguments with this in mind. Whether or not it's in the nature of the show to keep Ash around is something that's up for speculation and debate, but not set in stone. For either side.

    Thank you.
    Ashfangirl22 likes this.

    "seasons change, people change"

  11. #146
    ひっでぇ・・・ Sushi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    57

    Default Re: Do you think Satoshi should be replaced?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gliscor'd View Post
    They introduce new characters every saga. They now have the same for Iris and Cilan. Again, having to do it once more for a third main character makes no difference.
    One character takes less effort than two. Two take less effort than three. And so on. Again, it seems like you're under the impression that I'm saying they can't replace Ash, but that's not the case. They can, of course.

    But like someone rightly pointed out earlier, this thread is not asking whether he can be replaced, but whether he should. And quite frankly, I see no reason why they should from a marketing standpoint because, as you said so yourself, it wouldn't make a difference.

    Iris and Cilan will both be gone at the end of BW. At this rate there will be at least 2 new characters each arc. Likewise all the rivals are always replaced. You're acting like its "so much extra work" to do a new male, like it makes any difference with all the other new designs they constantly have to use every 4 years.
    I'd argue that a main character, or rather THE main character, is going to be planned with much more care and precision than a more minor character.

    Also, it's not so much the workload itself, but the fact that it's unnecessary workload. Wanna see someone do significant stuff besides Ash? Introduce a female star or let the supporting characters do more. Wanna see some new faces and hear some new voices? Replace the supporting characters. Wanna change the group dynamics? Replace the supporting characters. Wanna see a different color palette? Slap a new outfit on the main character and replace the supporting characters.

    We know that, but BW does feel like much more a clean slate than AG or DP ever did. In AG and DP we got CONSTANT references to the past, almost every 2-3 episodes. BW has had none outside a brief scene in BW1 and Looker in the TR/TP eps. They wouldn't even show TR saying goodbye to their Pokemon and did it off-screen, simply because they didn't want those pokes to be seen in BW.

    Sushi, this is what they can do. Your points would only have merit if they kept the same cast and rivals throughout all 15 years.
    Isn't that an argument proving the writers' unwillingness to switch the main character? If not AG or DP, BW was the chance to make *everything* different. The game creators were ballyhooing that this game was different than all the others, that we would be so in awe and even wonder "if this was still Pokémon", that the region would be so far away, that no old Pokémon could be encountered at first... The anime writers made an effort to portray the Unova journey in a similar fashion and yet they still kept Ash as the main character.

  12. #147
    Crimson Fighter Phoenixphlare's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    2,092
    Blog Entries
    196

    Default Re: Do you think Satoshi should be replaced?

    Ash peaked that why he should get replaced. The risk would be worth because Pike is freakin' awesome if I do say so myself.

  13. #148
    Registered User The Fighting Misty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    28,646
    Blog Entries
    49

    Default Re: Do you think Satoshi should be replaced?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sushi View Post
    One character takes less effort than two. Two take less effort than three. And so on. Again, it seems like you're under the impression that I'm saying they can't replace Ash, but that's not the case. They can, of course. I'd argue that a main character, or rather THE main character, is going to be planned with much more care and precision than a more minor character.
    You're right, they probably would have to put a lot of care and effort into a new main character. Oh wait, haven't we already seen that? Dawn got a tremendous amount of screentime in DP, and even though she wasn't the "main" character, the effort they put into Dawn back in DP is all they have to do with a new male lead. Dawn had a new backstory, new animation, an entire ending theme, new rivals, new pokemon, new development. I don't see why you're saying that what they did with Dawn back in DP can't be applied to a new male hero who does Gyms.

    They didn't have to do shit with Dawn. They could have also just given her similar screentime to May and it would have been fine. Leaving opinions on her personality aside, they put a lot of effort into that character and still tossed her out after 4 years. And likewise, the amount of focus Piplup got could be given to a new male's first pokemon in the same vain.

    Also, it's not so much the workload itself, but the fact that it's unnecessary workload. Wanna see someone do significant stuff besides Ash? Introduce a female star or let the supporting characters do more. Wanna see some new faces and hear some new voices? Replace the supporting characters. Wanna change the group dynamics? Replace the supporting characters. Wanna see a different color palette? Slap a new outfit on the main character and replace the supporting characters.
    I'd imagine a new male would also interact with the main cast a bit differently. I am really curious where this "clone of Ash" theories come from. Just because we'd have another trainer do Gyms, his personality would be the same? Oh wait, what was Dawn who did Contests? There a difference?

    Isn't that an argument proving the writers' unwillingness to switch the main character? If not AG or DP, BW was the chance to make *everything* different. The game creators were ballyhooing that this game was different than all the others, that we would be so in awe and even wonder "if this was still Pokémon", that the region would be so far away, that no old Pokémon could be encountered at first... The anime writers made an effort to portray the Unova journey in a similar fashion and yet they still kept Ash as the main character.
    The show will always be about Gyms and humans capturing/battling with Pokemon. Everything else has changed considerably. The entire dynamic of each new saga is so different than the last.

    Best Wishes feels absolutely nothing like DP did. DP was very different than AG. AG was far different than Johto. Kanto was different then all of them.

    I love how people are acting like the sagas all feel the same, when we can all agree they do not. No two sagas of pokemon have ever felt the same, even if they all have Ash do Gyms. A new series with a new male would be nothing like any saga Ash was in.

  14. #149
    XY Piplup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    8,110

    Default Re: Do you think Satoshi should be replaced?

    Quote Originally Posted by CommanderPigg View Post
    Just as kids won't care if Ash is replaced because they're not supposed to watch it for 14+ years anyways, they equally will not care if Ash stays the main character...because they're not supposed to be sticking around for 14+ years ._.

    So, yeah. Why waste the effort for the same result?
    QFT

    Quote Originally Posted by Kameinu View Post
    What different side of him are Iris and Dento bringing that none of his other traveling companions have?
    I just meant that, for example, Iris often "annoy" him similary to Misty, in contrast to the recent Dawn who was best friends and super nice to him... some people apparently use this as arguement to Ash "regressing", which I find ridiculous since if anything, his different/calm/mature reaction to Iris' teasings compared to Misty's, proves how all his development didn't "disappear" at all and he's the same mature experienced Ash from DP's end
    He's just using a brand new team right now, so obviously battles wise it won't be so impressive until this team will get better, like all previous teams...

    You see there's going to be a new animated series on Halo, you expect Chief or whoever the hell is the protagonist there to lead the show, same for whatever video game franchise having a new show based on a specific game or games.
    As I said, Ash pretty much IS each new gen's hero... they redesign him every series and that's more than enough... new characters from the new game join the main cast and everything from the new gen is featured... I really don't think it's that weird to keep Ash...
    And for anyone familiar with Pokémon it shouldn't be a surprise by now to see him continue in every new series...

    And again, I'm already said I'm open to the option of him being REBOOTED. Which IMO is the best way to go.
    No reason to do that
    Everything is fine the way it is

    And kids watching relate to the character because they believe he'll grow, in whatever form.
    I doubt most of kids think of "character growth"
    I don't think I ever thought too much about anything until I got to the internet and saw crazy fans overanalyzing everything (which I admit I since started to do it too, but the point is that most young kids won't do it and just watch and enjoy it)

    Because that's why kids watch journey stories, because they want to see how awesome the character goes from point A to point B.
    And here I thought kids watch cause they enjoy seeing cool creatures fight each other... cause they laugh at funny scenes... cause they like the world they see there... cause it simply entertain them to watch it......

    Which Ash isn't doing.
    He's constantly developing and improving with the time

    An opinion shared by many others,
    Who don't make the most of the target audience, therefore their opinion doesn't really count

    and most likely will be shared by many that are kids now one day.
    And as I said, when that day comes, new kids will replace them like happened a few times in the recent 14 years

    And yeah, what it is. As I said, a rinse and repeat never ending loop, that treats everything that's established like crap.
    Lies
    It has more than enough continuity and character development for a long running kids cartoon

    Until one day it's gotten so stupid that the show may end abrutly. Which is sad. Why not stop this before it gets out of hand?
    I seriously can't see what kind of logic you're using... why would that randomly happen? It worked for 14 years, it can easily work for another 14 years and even much more than that...

    Yeah, because the same formula for 700+ episodes is fun.
    Who forced anyone to watch all 700 eps if they don't want to?
    Most of the target audience won't do it... actually, most of the members here didn't do it and don't plan to do it... a thread asking which us watched all eps was created a while ago and proved most of users here didn't really watch all eps and some even don't feel so sorry about it and don't have any intention of trying to ever watch them, instead they just enjoy the current series

    Enjoy it and pretty much be lied to believe this is brand new story writing while it's the same trap set each generation.
    Stop taking everything so seriously... really, it's a cartoon for kids... if you enjoy it - watch it, if you don't enjoy it - just stop watching and stop complaining about it... sometimes I don't understand some people - is anyone forcing you to watch cartoons you don't enjoy against your will? I seriously don't get it...

    all is forgotten, never brought up again, and Ash goes on the same trip like the past never happened and making the same "mistakes".
    As I said above - lies

    I get annoyed when people compare Pokemon to that, Doraemon and Conan.
    Right, let's stop comparing stuff... the Pokémon anime is what it is... and it's everyone's choice if to watch it or not

    wastes a lot of time on random COTD stories and
    If you're against wasting time, I suggest to stop arguing on the internet about a kids cartoon that apparently doesn't appeal to you anymore...

    Quote Originally Posted by Gliscor'd View Post
    they put a lot of effort into that character and still tossed her out after 4 years.
    Which goes to show you how different Ash is over any of these other characters
    Which goes to show you how 14 years old things means much more than 4 years old things

    I'd imagine a new male would also interact with the main cast a bit differently. I am really curious where this "clone of Ash" theories come from.
    Why you keep repeating the same thing if we already answered? Pokémon is the kind of anime that will always use the typical hero style of character like Ash is... I doubt they'd stray away from this type of character if they were to ever replace Ash
    Also, so what if they CAN replace Ash? I never said they can't (god, you're making me also repeat the same things due to you ignoring them and then posting the same stuff again...) I only said they have no reason to do it
    And I'm still not seeing you provide a single logical reason for them to do it... you're just admitting you have no answer to this if you're going to ignore this once again

    The show will always be about Gyms and humans capturing/battling with Pokemon. Everything else has changed considerably. The entire dynamic of each new saga is so different than the last.
    The show is pretty much the same all the time... different main cast members and rivals cause a little differences and some people prefer some over the others, but you can't deny that it's basically the same as it was when it first started... the basics hardly changed and the fact Ash survived 14 years, unlike all these things that you say were changed between each series, proves Ash is NOT something the writers are willing to replace, unlike all things you list that they did change over time


    Ew, wall of text... what did I just get myself into :(

  15. #150
    Moderator Hidden Mew's Avatar Forum Head
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Somewhere dreaming forever
    Posts
    4,232

    Default Re: Do you think Satoshi should be replaced?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gliscor'd View Post
    I am not seeing the logic here. Using this point why did the writers even bother changing the anime so much after Johto? All those new ideas that were introduced in either AG, DP or BW didn't have to happen if the writers were, "lazy." Paul didn't have to exist, neither did Hunter J, the tremendous screentime for the Contests, etc.
    They wanted to do things differently in order to promote the newest characters/Pokemon from the games. That along with the improved writing felt like the major changes going from Johto to AG. As for characters like Paul, Hunter J and the focus on Contest, I think that was just their way of creating their own storylines for the series, specifically the DP series.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gliscor'd
    Its not like an E4 arc would be any longer than a standard tournament, maybe 10 eps at the most.
    I'm not sure what an E4 arc has to do with this topic, but even if Ash had won the Sinnoh League, there wouldn't have been enough time for any battles against the E4 members since BW were already close to being released just a few weeks after the Sinnoh League ended.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gliscor'd
    They introduce new characters every saga. They now have the same for Iris and Cilan. Again, having to do it once more for a third main character makes no difference.
    I think that you're trying to make it sound like replacing side characters is the same as replacing the main star of the show. In Pokemon's case, I don't think it works like that. It's been established from day one that these series are about Ash and Pikachu's journeys across various regions, catching new Pokemon, making new friends and battling to reach their goal. Even with saying that it was Ash and Dawn's stories at the start of DP, the focus has always been mainly on Ash because he is the main character. Replacing the main star, who is the main focus of your show, does sound different than getting rid of side characters to me.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gliscor'd
    Iris and Cilan will both be gone at the end of BW. At this rate there will be at least 2 new characters each arc. Likewise all the rivals are always replaced. You're acting like its "so much extra work" to do a new male, like it makes any difference with all the other new designs they constantly have to use every 4 years.
    It probably isn't a lot of work, especially when the games create new male trainers with every generation, but since they've been having Ash as the main character for so long and they already give him outfits that are similar to the male trainer from the games, I'd imagine that they'd probably don't want to spend the time and effort with creating a new character design and backstory for that character when they already have one they can use without a problem.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gliscor'd
    We know that, but BW does feel like much more a clean slate than AG or DP ever did. In AG and DP we got CONSTANT references to the past, almost every 2-3 episodes. BW has had none outside a brief scene in BW1 and Looker in the TR/TP eps. They wouldn't even show TR saying goodbye to their Pokemon and did it off-screen, simply because they didn't want those pokes to be seen in BW.
    I think that the main reason that BW feels more like a clean slate is because Brock isn't in the main group and Team Rocket don't appear in every episode anymore. To me, that just makes it different, not so much of a clean slate, but that's me. I don't remember getting references to older sagas that often during AG and DP, but it's been awhile since I've seen episodes from those series. Like I've mentioned before, the writers could have gotten rid of Ash for BW since the games were hyped up as being really different, the Unova region is far away from the previous ones and that older Pokemon don't appear until after the storyline is finished. The fact that the writers kept on Ash on board for the anime despite those aspects of the new game really says that they're comfortable with just keeping Ash as the main character for as long as the anime and games are successful.

Page 10 of 68 FirstFirst ... 891011122060 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •