Do you like the Rocket trio's role in BW? - Page 7

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: Do you like the Rocket trio's role in BW?

Blog Entries

Follow HumanDawn on Tumblr

Default Re: Do you like the Rocket trio's role in BW?

The main problem I have with them is their DEM loses in each and everyone of their plans. The writers made Team Rocket so competent, smart, agile, capable and good that they couldn't be able to make them lose without some extreme luck to make their plans fail. The luck has led to some inconsistencies that are jarring to watch. If anything, Ash and his friends deserve to lose their Pokemon to them.

Nope. It's just the same old stuff we've been seeing since Kanto. I know the whole "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" mentality, but really. TR really shouldn't have been in Unova. It would have made more sense to have Ghetsis/N/Team Plasma, as that would have opened up a bunch of new things for the main group to deal with, rather than "Team Rocket appears to steal Pokemon/do some random thing that Gio ordered them to do".

Besides, they had a chance to be threatening again, like back when the Kanto series started, but the writers ruined it and turned them back into the obligatory comic relief.

I think my main Isshu (Ho ho!) with the Team Rocket trio's roles in Best Wishes is that, well, they had such a character change that I have to wonder whether it would have been better to introduce 2-3 new characters instead and have our lovable bumbling threesome retire happily. The same applies for Ash really, but that's another debate for another day.
    I stream Pokémon episodes and movies at least once a week, follow @PKMNProfessor on Twitter to receive updates on when I'm streaming! (I also tweet any interesting Pokemon based news stories, facts and what I'm currently doing in-game.)

Onduru ruragittan disukaa Garren's Avatar
    Blog Entries

By the way Alfonso, if you want to see what Dogasu meant by how Best Wishes Team Rocket aren't any more competent, check out the Kami Trio two-partner.

After their helicopter is damaged in, like, a minute once the appear, they literally just give up.

ロケット団よ永遠 Dogasu's Avatar Retired Staff
    Blog Entries
    Follow Dogasu On Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Human
    The main problem I have with them is their DEM loses in each and everyone of their plans. The writers made Team Rocket so competent, smart, agile, capable and good that they couldn't be able to make them lose without some extreme luck to make their plans fail. The luck has led to some inconsistencies that are jarring to watch. If anything, Ash and his friends deserve to lose their Pokemon to them.
    Haha, no. How are any of these the result of a deus ex machina loss? It's not like they lost because their enemies had an unfair advantage or somehow caught a lucky break, nor were they caused by the writers ignoring video game mechanics (i.e. Ghost-Type moves working on Normal-Type pokemon) so Satoshi could somehow win.

They lost because they were incompetent, stupid, bumbling, and incapable.

Quote Originally Posted by Taiyou
    Besides, they had a chance to be threatening again, like back when the Kanto series started
    They lost to a Caterpie in their second appearance.

Also, a quick glance at all the disguises they wore in the Kanto days also shows how they've always, always been comic relief characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Alfonso
    they had such a character change that I have to wonder whether it would have been better to introduce 2-3 new characters instead and have our lovable bumbling threesome retire happily.
    I would have very much preferred that.
    Webmaster of Dogasu's Backpack. Last updated on April 14th, 2014

| My DVD Collection | My Video Game Collection |
    These lists were last updated on January 3rd, 2012

Blog Entries

I was interested with the new direction the rockets could go in with their personality change at the beginning of the series, but with the fact that nothing really came out of it, I do wish that angle would be dropped. I do like how they're not in every episode anymore, and how they're not blasting off. But I wouldn't mind a situation like DP, where the Rockets have a subplot independent of the twerps like Contests they can succeed at. I do wish they had more Pokémon.
    Kanto's Route 23 doesn't exist in the Johto games!

My ideas for a more game-faithful Best Wishes! series.

The Jewel Party

Bow before me, bitches! SammyW27's Avatar
    Add SammyW27 on Facebook
    Visit SammyW27's Youtube Channel

I have mixed feelings about it myself. On one hand, they're not as interesting, likable and fun as they used to be and they're STILL being defeated easily. On the other, they actually show up with a purpose (if only that earthqauke hadn't derailed the series), they're acting like villains should, and TPCI is giving them actual dialogue that lets me finally tolerate them instead of wanting to tear them limb from limb.

It's quite confusing
    Last edited by SammyW27; 29th March 2013 at 04:38 PM.
    Being a fan means being unashamed of what you like, no matter what anyone else says

Blog Entries

If Zager ever dies in a way Hunter J did, I will change my opinion from "No" to "Maybe".

I don't know. I really loved the way they were in OS, Advanced and DP. When they showed up, I had a smile on my face.

When BW started, they had potential. I generally disliked the boring TRio scenes doing their thing, but I guess that was pretty cool.

Since Zager is introduced, I have the urge to punch a wall. He really messed up the TRio.

I really miss being able to hear things like "who put this hole here" in (what little I've seen of) BW.

Yes i love them now i hate they went back to white clothes

Blog Entries

There is nothing left for Team Rocket now, and I don't think we can expect them to have some sort of epic exit from the series like everyone has imagined all these years. The best idea would have been to bring back Giovanni in a big way immediately after the Team Galactic plot ended in D/P. Because that was back when Jessie had her contest storyline, and whether you want to admit it or not, there was not one person that wasn't excited to see her win her first ribbon and then watch as she made her way up to 5, something we thought would never happen.

That would have gone along excellently with an underlying Team Rocket plot that develops over D/P where James and Meowth can also get involved.

But now we are in BW where they hardly appear, have no storylines, no interesting pokemon, and no personality. Now they just need to make some sort of orderly exit before it becomes embarrassing to have them around a la D/P Brock.

追放されたバカ

They've been handled terribly. But I think I'd rather have them, than not still have them.
    I agree with the above post that it would have been good if maybe Jessie after her Grand Festival Success had decided to quit TR and instead make an honest go of it, maybe she could have said she was going to an old region, maybe Kanto, or wherever Dawn went, to participate in contests there (I know she technically already did Kanto in the BF, but she could go again). I think that would have been such a fitting end, maybe have James and Meowth go off with her, as Coach/fanclub sort of thing.

I think had this happened, I would think it would be amazing ending, but I would have been really sad, as they are pokemon icons.

The only 5 who have been in it all the way, Ash, Pikachu, and the TRio, (even Brock took time out for Orange Islands) but their currently handing is just poor. I wish they'd have been kept as Comic Relief, but also to have their competence when actually it gets down to it, and keep up with them planning constant arcs, but more frequent, and make it ok to have them come back for an old style, steal the Pokemon of the day type episode.

i'm conflicted on this topic... on one hand, i'm a huge TR fan (in general), and it's fun to see the trio acting like proper rocket agents. some of their plots/schemes are actually rather complex and well thought out. on the other hand, they still never seem to "win," and it's just kind of jarring to see them acting so... non-comic-relief-y. admittedly, even as a kid i used to get a bit bored with their constant ineffectual attempts, but at least they were consistently silly and ineffectual. :/
    if we had gotten a glimpse at the end of DP of them going through some "extensive TR re-training" or w/e then maybe i could believe it, but... it just seems like they're different characters now. i have to agree with some people above that it would've been better to replace them with new TR agents, and have the trio retire into legitimacy.

my fanfiction.tumblr. ★ claims:

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.......oh.....you're serious? let me put it this way.....*tears out zager's lungs and replaces them with as many voltorb and electrodes as possible and sits back to enjoy the pretty fireworks*

Blog Entries

I really don't like them much anymore. They didn't get enough developement time to explain why they changed. I know they got promoted and all, nut they should have shown them working up to being serious. I liked them so much in DP and I miss their old personalities. But, I did like the whole subway plot.
    It seems like Team Rocket is just filling the "Tough bad guy" void where Team Plasma should've been. i think they should've introduced N back in Acumula town, so we could have Team Plasma the whole time. Team Plasma hasn't even appeared, Ash already has all badges and is on his way to the unova league i guess. If they introduced TeamPlasma early like in the games, everything would be a lot better.
    If TRio does appear in wherever region Ash goes next, I hope they are more like they were in Sinnoh. Maybe they could have a huge failure at the end of BW somehow and Giovanni can just let them do whatever like in Dp, but they don't need to appear in EVERY SINGLE EPISODE.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast