Which do you like more: comedic episodes or battle-oriented episodes?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Which do you like more: comedic episodes or battle-oriented episodes?

Blog Entries

Default Which do you like more: comedic episodes or battle-oriented episodes?

It's no secret that some episodes of the Pokémon Animé are built around comedy and showing off the characters' personalities and playing off their interactions, while others are more centered on the overall plot and battles, be it gyms, rival battles or simply training. Which is better? Battles? Comedy? The episodes that blend both?

Princess of Sinnoh martianmister's Avatar

Default Re: Which do you like more: comedic episodes or battle-oriented episodes?

I personally prefer comedy, but some battles could be entertaining.
    1. Satoshi/Ash Ketchum: 801 episodes
    2. Team Rocket: 736 episodes
    3. Takeshi/Brock: 633 episodes
    4. Kasumi/Misty: 282 episodes
    5. Hikari/Dawn: 201 episodes
    6. Haruka/May: 197 episodes
    7. Masato/Max: 192 episodes
    8. Iris: 141 episodes
    9. Dent/Cilan: 138 episodes
    10. Kenji/Tracey: 44 episodes

Blog Entries

Default Re: Which do you like more: comedic episodes or battle-oriented episodes?

I suppose battling oriented but...

I like comedy but not in the way the show is presenting it. I like the jokes on Bleach, Naruto and other such anime because the humor tells us more about the characters and advances the plot. Lights camera quacktion and the like have very little to do with Ash's quest to become Pokemon master other than the fact then it has Pokemon in it. More comedic filler of Bleach still has funny jokes but feel more in place because they still have Hollow and soul reaping. Very dramatic episodes can also be out of place because the are not about conflict for power involving Pokemon training or use of power Pokemon training see Pikahunna and the joy of pokemon. Throwing in a fight with team rocket doesn't sway me at all. Because one they are joke villians and two it is just Thrown in.. To me Pokemon is not just about Pokemon to me it is more specific it is about Pokemon training and no matter whoever the characters are or whatever tone theme or arch key word they want to use they should keep that in mind.

Over all I just want Pokemon to have a plot and Ash advancing his skills or facing a strange new foe seem to have more substance then ca-shades of randomness like in the pink or whatever.
    Madame Pika and Trainer Yusuf like this.

I like battle-oriented but what's wrong with having both? There is alot of comedy and junk going on but the episodes that had battles in them seemed like they disappeared. It's not like the old days. I guess the writers aren't as creative with the battles as they used to be.

What's this? Bouffalant Herdier's Avatar Forum Head
    Blog Entries
    Follow Bouffalant Herdier On Twitter
    Visit Bouffalant Herdier's Youtube Channel

I like both, but I lean more towards battle-oriented episodes in general, because I'm obsessed with the battle system in the games themselves. I'm forever interested to see how the moves and abilities of Pokemon would work in a real time environment.

Who is this git?

Blog Entries

Follow Yato on Tumblr

I like both, but only if comedic issues are not overly stupid. I can even tolerate comedic battles... only if they are done right.

In the episode where Ash's gym battle against Elesa takes place, Elesa kinda saved the show from being ruined by Ash's idiocy. He was being too stupid to be even called comedic, but Elesa's over-dramatic gesture and model-ish show-offs were portrayed in the RIGHT comedic way.

Blog Entries

It ultimately boils down to quality of the episode, really. Both animation-wise and writing-wise. If you ask whether I like evil Togepi episode or Nozomi's debut, I would say evil Togepi episode. If you ask however whether I like evil Togepi episode or Naoshi vs. Nozomi, I would definately say Naoshi vs. Nozomi.

However;
    a)I much prefer watching comical episodes than battle oriented ones, as they are easier to follow.
    b)I much prefer watching episodes that are both battle oriented AND comical than the ones that are oriented over one, especially if they have good character interaction, good development and good characters overall, such as Don Battle Tournament arc, Langley and Kenyan's debut episodes, and Gamagaru and Muggyo's capture episodes etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hellwarden View Post
    So....everyone is happy that a "Deux Ex Machina" is being taken down with another Deux Ex Machina....
    Quote Originally Posted by Iteru
    You know, it would be hilarious if Harley did get a sex change and became Langley.
    Youtube account, DA account, SerebiiForums account, Tinypic account, Imageshack account, Photobucket account,Smogon account, Blog, Pokémon Series Analysis Dropbox Folder, PO/PS Username: Yusuf Kaya 3.0

Panne Cottontail Kakuna Matata's Avatar Forum Head
    Blog Entries

Follow Kakuna Matata on Tumblr

Like Yusuf I prefer a mix, but if I had to pick one it would be comedic. I'm more in it for the character interactions than the battles.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bouffalant Herdier View Post
    I'm forever interested to see how the moves and abilities of Pokemon would work in a real time environment.
    Though I would love to see more of this.

Blog Entries

I like battle oriented episodes more because I find them more interesting than the comedic episodes.

Blog Entries
    Follow BanetteWobbuffet On Twitter

I like comic episodes, especially if they are REALLY stupid. Battle oriented episodes are good, too though.
    Dibs on Banette or Wobbuffet.
    I claimed Wobbufet! Man, that doesn't sound very exciting.
    Formerly known as BanetteWobbuffet.
    I don't calculate stat values, and I don't care about natures. I catch my Pokemon the way they are. I just play the game normally. If you agree copy & paste this in your sig.
    Write your questions on a $20 bill and send them in to me.
    We now return you to your abnormal programming.
    I have claimed Imposter.

shsl music club member Catspring's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Add Catspring on Facebook
    Follow Catspring on Tumblr

I like comedic episodes. My favorite episode in BW is "Baffling the Boufflant", where the group gets separated and everyone ends up with an afro. It's cute how attached Emolga gets to her pink wig.
    martianmister likes this.

I'm getting a little sick of the comic oriented episodes because they are running them into the ground. Now it's time for battle sentric.
    Last edited by Caseydia; 23rd June 2012 at 10:42 AM.

The person with the stick

I like a nice balance. Anyone remember when battles could be dead serious, but later on there would be a hint of humor in there? Or when we had a hilarious episode that underlined plot? That's what I'd like to see. I mean the writers can only make a battling sequence so many times before you can tell what the characters are going to do, or have the characters act "funny" to the point of annoyance. But having some humor that ties in the current events of the arc with the battle would be my ideal.
    Bluelatios likes this.

Blog Entries

A nice balace of both to be honest. Strictly one or the other would get a bit tiresome.

Definately battle episodes, whole point of pokemon in my opinion. I find the combat aspect of pokemon is done well but comedy has really gone down the drain, especially since it is thrown in our face every couple of seconds and interupts potentially good moments. If they cut it down, I'd find it more funny.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast