Do you find Trip/Shooti to be an interesting rival? - Page 4
Page 4 of 31 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you find Trip/Shooti to be an interesting rival?

Official Link Fanglomper SSJ_Jup81's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Add SSJ_Jup81 on Facebook
    Visit SSJ_Jup81's Youtube Channel

Default Re: Do you find Shooty to be an interesting rival?

In all honesty, Shuuti isn't very interesting at all to me as a rival. As a person, I find him interesting in the sense that he's a photographer (same reason why I liked Todd), but that's about it. I'd also like to know why he thinks so lowly of Satoshi just because he's from Kanto. How did he form those opinions? Why does he view Satoshi as a country bumpkin? It's not like Satoshi acts like one, unlike Goku in Dragon Ball when he first met Bulma.

To me, Shuuti does feel a bit forced. I think it would've been nicer if Satoshi just unintentionally pissed him off in some way and then he vow to get back at him would be better than what's going on now, imo. He seems like a mix of early Shigeru and Shinji or they were trying to.

It seems to me as if the writers are realizing the lack of interest in Trip as a character. I really wonder what they're going to do now. While I suspect we'll be seeing Trip until the league, I do wonder if N will be introduced instead to take over as Ash's main rival.

I think Trip is really turning into the "Zoey and Kenny" of the BW series. Back in DP everyone complained how "boring" Dawn's rivals were, and now Trip is having the same problem in replacing Paul.

Blog Entries
    Follow Appletree On Twitter

In BW042, he said that he didn't want to learn from other trainers because "that's basic", which makes the character even more strange, because even Paul learned from Ash (think of counter shield and his later treadment towards Electivire). There should be some episodes where he loses, because Ash is using Trip's strategies (and some other strategies, maybe the comeback of countershield?), which forces him to do so too (and later on, Alder will come and says that Ash is a much better trainer because he learns from others, which makes Trip angry)

Not really interesting, but I did like the flashback to his past with Alder. IDK, it seems like the writers would've learned from there experiences with the previous rivals.

"Strong Pokémon. Weak Pokémon. That is only the selfish perception of people. Truly skilled Trainers should try to win with the Pokémon they love best". -Karen

"For every pokemon there is a purpose and a time when it can shine under the sun." -Blue1225

If anything, Trip has a huge shadow to overcome in order to take the spot as Ash's main rival. Why? Paul was a rival from day one of meeting Ash. You could just feel that silver-haired jerk's loathing just drift off of him.

I can feel it building up in Trip, but I think it's more disappointed. Why does he think Ash is a hill-billy? Ash apparently was trying to have Pikachu use moves it didn't know (yeah, and just telling Trip that Zekrom stole my Poke's powers is so believable), he obviously has no care for basic strategy (hence Trip's continuous use of that phrase and Iris' continuous whining about it), and he obviously prefers a peaceful resolution. To someone of Trip's alluded to technical mindset, Ash is some strawhat-totin' yuppy. Trip's disappointed because he expected so much out of some guy from elsewhere other than far-off Unova, and was let down majorly. Ash has yet to beat Trip, further fostering the feelings. But now, Trip decides that maybe he can have a rivalry if he helps that hill-billy boy out, as with Oshawott's Aqua Jet.

Of course, the reason people don't bristle more around Trip's insults of Ash is because Iris already takes half of the job. What I do find interesting is that everyone but Cilan is just ragging on Ash every chance they get. Maybe this is less of a reboot, and more of a rebuild, honestly, trying to justify Ash from the ground up.

Crimson Fighter PhilosophyPhlare's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Torterrius View Post
    Of course, the reason people don't bristle more around Trip's insults of Ash is because Iris already takes half of the job. What I do find interesting is that everyone but Cilan is just ragging on Ash every chance they get. Maybe this is less of a reboot, and more of a rebuild, honestly, trying to justify Ash from the ground up.
    WTF does that mean dude. Justify ash? Justify his actions? Justify his existence? Justify his abilities? In all cases that is not what they are doing and they already did all of them. Besides that one phrase that i can't make heads or tail out of. I agree 100%. I don't see the point there is no conflict. And what's the difference between Trip insulting Ash and Iris insulting Ash? It makes no sense why one is a rival and one is a friend it is totally confusing. And all Ash has to do is say "Dude I was in the top 4 I think I know what I'm doing" and Trip would back off. It gives the impression that they are making Ash artificially weaker so the plot would work and I'm sorry but that doesn't make good TV.

Happy Holidays! CrackFox's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Not in the slightest. It's painfully obvious his character hasn't had any thought put in to it. He's just a rehashed Paul.

THE WAR ROOM
    ~ The home of Mafia and Non-Mafia games.
    Art tumblr

Thing is like others have said he needs to be able to step out of Paul's shadow as he was a pretty good rival.

Best way to look at it is Trip is not Paul he's different, he treats his Pokemon a lot different for a start and hopefully he's more willing to learn from Ash each time they do battle.

Honestly to me all the rivals can seem the same if you put too much thought into them so it's best to take them as you see them and let the story continue and see how they grow and change.

Also known as Kameinu. himanuts's Avatar
    Follow himanuts On Twitter Add himanuts on Facebook Add himanuts on Google+
    Follow himanuts on Tumblr Visit himanuts's Youtube Channel

Not interesting whatsoever to me. Specially when Ash tends to act like the guy hasn't insulted him, and Ash acts like he wants to be BFF's with him at times.

Gary got on Ash's nerves. And don't start with "But that was Kanto!Ash, he was inmature then!", various people have gotten on his nerves during AG and DP. Gary's taunting of Ash, and Ash's reactions, and later they're mutual respect made their rivalry interesting. Despite it not being handled as it should have.

Paul, we all know how this went down. He really became a challenge for Ash, not a taunting gloat like Gary, but a confident pro who firmly believed in his methods being the way to go. He challenged Ash's methods and beliefs.

I have not seen Trip really bring out the best of Ash's character like Gary and Paul did. And on top of that he hasn't done anything interesting as a character, nothing to really set him aside from the rest.

Hi.
    Blog Entries

Not really... it's a very forced and basic rivalry and is basis is this: "Satoshi is a n00b." Yes, Shuuti has some potential, but he's not the best rival in the entire anime (Shinji). Still, I guess we have to wait.

Blog Entries

Absolutely not. :/ The whole photography thing has been done already, and BETTER, for starters.

As for personality, it's really nothing special. I forget he exists sometimes until the anime shoves him in there again. There's nothing that sets him apart from the other rivals Ash has had except the photography thing, which one of Ash's own friends did already.

And if this world runs out of lovers
    We'll still have each other
    Nothing's gonna stop us, nothing's gonna stop us now

Click here to join the fabulous Striaton Triplets Club!
    Looking for a legit shiny Cryogonal or Sigilyph!

Quote Originally Posted by Itsuki View Post

As for personality, it's really nothing special. I forget he exists sometimes until the anime shoves him in there again. There's nothing that sets him apart from the other rivals Ash has had except the photography thing, which one of Ash's own friends did already.
    It isn't just Ash rivals either, he has some aspects of Drew in him too.

It's like Trip is just a random combination of aspects from Gary, Drew and Paul with the photography thing all mixed into one character.

Quote Originally Posted by Alphaphlare View Post
    WTF does that mean dude. Justify ash? Justify his actions? Justify his existence? Justify his abilities? In all cases that is not what they are doing and they already did all of them. Besides that one phrase that i can't make heads or tail out of. I agree 100%. I don't see the point there is no conflict. And what's the difference between Trip insulting Ash and Iris insulting Ash? It makes no sense why one is a rival and one is a friend it is totally confusing. And all Ash has to do is say "Dude I was in the top 4 I think I know what I'm doing" and Trip would back off. It gives the impression that they are making Ash artificially weaker so the plot would work and I'm sorry but that doesn't make good TV.
    What I mean is how they handle Ash. Iris, Trip, they all think Ash is crazy, no? Or a hill-billy? Am I wrong on that? No.
    BW is here to recertify Ash's style. As if DP did not do so enough. But they want to really develop why his way of doing things works, not just that it works.

Not really. They tried to give him some new characteristics like taking photographs and acting a little snobby towards Satoshi, buuut otherwise he's nothing new. His design is also very non-appealing to me. One thing I like about him is that they gave him a female voice actor. I was just a little bit weirded out by Shinji's manly voice in DP, heh. (He wasn't even that tall!)

I just can't get excited about this guy. Do I see any potential about him? Nope.

EDIT: Lol, I just remembered that the photograph thing has been done already. Fail.

y team

Happy NintendoDay Europe! Joshawott's Avatar Forum Head
    Blog Entries
    Follow Joshawott On Twitter
    Add Joshawott on Linkedin Follow Joshawott on Tumblr Visit Joshawott's Youtube Channel

The problem with Trip, is that he was following up the epicness that was Paul. I don't think we would have had a problem with him if he was the rival in Sinnoh, with Paul being the rival in Unova.

Honestly, if not for this forum, I would have forgotten Trip even existed.

Page 4 of 31 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast