Do you find Trip/Shooti to be an interesting rival? - Page 26
Page 26 of 31 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you find Trip/Shooti to be an interesting rival?

Default Re: Do you find Trip/Shooti to be an interesting rival?

*Paul is walking along the street minding his own business*
    *sees some writing on a sign*

Shooti was here!
    Paul is a loser!

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac Gravity View Post
    @Caseydia; Normally, I'm all for food for thought especially when the material gives me enough to make note of the possible "what-if" actions. But I can't justify that in this case at all. You're bringing up Pikachu being the go-to travel buddy for every new region (esp. when you sit and look at how the initial AG and DP eps rolled up) only worsened that as we CAN'T compare them to Best Wishes start.

That said, you are right in some forms, the beginning was rushed. Not for Ash but for Trip and the building of him looking like a threat caliber comparable to previous rivals all while forgetting what previous rivals had going for them from the get-go. If we wanna be honest here, my problems with the guy (Trip) didn't start until the second battle. Oh don't get me wrong, the first battle rubbed me all the ways wrong esp. since THAT was a battle that was best left undecided going by the circumstances.
    The "what-ifs" of Trip's perception of Ash actually stopping a battle that (he thought) could have went either way unaware of Ash and Pika's situation would've been far more interesting for future encounters.

Honestly, I didn't care that he came back with a practically full roster of monsters (moreover ones that have been shown to appear later on in), nor did I care about what clinched the battle for him since Ash legitimately didn't know about said ability (but then again this then falls into my beef with abilities only activating conveniently when the writers want Ash to win or lose). What got to me was the fights in-between that. Needless showing off how "powerful" Trip's monsters are and "how smart" he is for finding Pokemon (that he shouldn't have access to anyway) with specific abilities just to steamroll Ash's guys and make him look like the underdog we should root for for the future. (No, just stop.)

I'm sure even a younger viewer who at most was on and off with DP would've felt a bitter twinge well within them from watching that. Third battle? I was at the point I didn't care and would just sigh and roll my eyes whenever Trip appeared.

Td;lr- Normally, I'm all for food for thought especially when the material gives me enough to make note of the possible "what-if" actions. But I can't justify that in this case at all. But if you like Trip and find him interesting, more power to ya. I like Iris myself and happily called her a badass ninja with a badass adorable childhood but its because I like her character is why I get so frustrated with what the writers do with her.
    I wasn't trying to be mean or anything but I was trying to be positive since there are somethings I find interesting about all of Ash's rivals. For me, there is only a few things that I think that the writers could have done for him to keep some of some fans from whining.(Taking Vodor in account)

I however don't deal with "what ifs" either but for me it has always been about strength. Trip getting better in battles has been good. Serperior constantly being used wasn't my wish but for some reason it got better in each match. Watching the Pokemon he got from Professor Juniper and seeing it's power now is pretty nice.

Things I find interesting:

Design- Although he looks imilar to Paul I like how his eyes is a light clear color for a change.

Pokemon- I like that they are bright colored, floaty and aren't too creepy.(That is if you don't count Conkeldurr)

Personity- He's been able to show different facial expressions. You can tell when he was serious, snubbish, intersted and happy. He's not always rude or mean to everyone. Even though he's not friendly to Ash, I think that it is needed in this show since most of his rivals are chummy.

Camera- That's one thing I've noticed that grabbed my attention at him unlike with the other main male rivals, was that a kid needed to be doing which was acting his age at times.

As far as the Junior Cup goes, since it was so rushed, it wasn't done well. However, it made me interested in Serperior unlike before and I'm also glad that Trip got to face alder. I thought he atleast deserved that much. Trip is also a strategical battler. That's why I get interested in his battles. Although he isn't as experienced as Ash, you could never tell sometimes in the way he can handle himself. I think he and some other rivals have some much potential, but I'm wondering if they'll all get the closure they'll deserve once this show is over.

Blog Entries

He's still kinda meh in my eyes. Now I won't make comparisons between him and Paul as so many people already have done that, but I will say that I actually cared for/loved the rivalry when it was between Ash and Paul. Now, I really couldn't care. It's like they don't care for each other, so why should I care for them? There's no spark between them, it just feels like there are empty words. Ash say ''I'll beat you the next time!'', doesn't do a jack about it (except maybe for the whole Oshawott-learning-seeing-underwater-thingy), and then loses again in their next battle. In the rivalry between him and Paul, Ash gets extremely motivated once he loses, being reminded of Paul as soon as he's training, which therefore actually built on the rivlary, making it much more interesting. Not to mention that Paul started acknowledging him along the way, while Trip doesn't care for Ash at all.

I don't hate Trip, but he's just really boring. I did get slightly excited for him during the Junior Cup, as he finally got interesting with this ''hatred'' he carried for Alder's slacky way of being a Champion, but he's sudden change to suddnely being an angel felt really, really rushed and very forced. So, no.

However, Trip has a really awesome team, and their strength is perfectly reasonable in my eyes, as he obviously is very dedicated when it comes to training. So, I guess that's something to be happy about.

He's the most boring character in the show since Kenny, and that's saying a lot. Even if Paul didn't exist, I'd still find Trip boring.

I can't understand for the life of me why his character was created. If Ash needed a new main rival in BW they could have gone with anyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by The Fighting Misty View Post
    He's the most boring character in the show since Kenny, and that's saying a lot. Even if Paul didn't exist, I'd still find Trip boring.

I can't understand for the life of me why his character was created. If Ash needed a new main rival in BW they could have gone with anyone else.
    Gee, I never thought you of all people would have a problem with him with all of the comments you've made back when BW was going through it's early stages. Trip along with those other rivals he's got are just as interesting. They are all needed in a certain way if you think about it.

Trip- Serious, intelligent, hard worker.
    Bianca- flawed, determined, comedy relief.
    Stephan- Strong, confident.
    Kotetsu- scadder-brained, positive, funny.
    Virgil- ??? We'll get there sooner or later.

But all in all, the writers seem like they are adding two extra rivals now instead of putting those ideas into making Trip appear or do more on the show than trying to nip Ash in the butt. The Don battles helped that but I find that the show can use someone like him.

Trip always carries around a camera because he basically likes to capture his moments. I wonder why? It it's because his parents are too over protective and won't let him go so he to sneak out of the house then if his parents drag him home he'll have pretty pictures (like Bianca's dad), or maybe he got a camera for christmas or his birthday and found out that photography is his hobbie, or maybe his parents want him to show his progress to them so they him a camera and wished him "goodbye". What happened to our happy and peppy little boy? See he used to be a peppy little boy what happened? did he go telling all the people he knew (like teachers, caretaker, fellow classmates, friends, etc.) and got bad feedback back (like telling him he'll be hurt badly and die). I know it probably sucks to have over protective parents (I'm amusing they are over protective). I'm not fond of Trip (I don't like him). He's now is just calm and quiet (why didn't they give him a lovely animation in Be in Arrow he's just standing there and is staring). He is sort of interesting even though he barely appeals to me.

Well, I like how Trip is always insulting Ash's inteligence, but in this sense, he's pretty much the Unova region's Gary Oak, only somewhat less cool, as Gary was a badass with his own car and cheersquad, while Trip just has... a camera. Perhaps, by the fact that the writers haven't bothered to let Gary in this season is a hint to them attempting to replace Gary with Trip... This will be official if Trip suddenly decides he wants to be a pokemon researcher.

All Eeveelutions are equal, but some are more equal than others.
    Banner made by me! I have officially claimed Minccino on the 13-11-12

Want a baby Pokemon or an Eevee? Here's my FC (I like shinies)
    1249-7189-3936

Master of Ghosts......... Gengarzilla's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow Gengarzilla on Tumblr Visit Gengarzilla's Youtube Channel

Trip losing in the first round of the league pretty much proves that the writers have given up on him. Thank fucking god!

Hypnodance FTW!

Listenin' to Dragons...! LightningKimba's Avatar
    Follow LightningKimba On Twitter Add LightningKimba on Facebook
    Follow LightningKimba on Tumblr Visit LightningKimba's Youtube Channel

The good thing Trip has goin' for him is that his team is pretty interestin', at least to me. He has Lampent, Frillish, Conkeldurr, all cool dudes. From what I see in him, though, he's a hybrid of Gary's cockiness (Calling Ash basic is an example of this trait), and the stereotype of the stoic anti-hero. He... Never seemed to go anywhere. He has his camera gimmick which I don't recall coming up too much over in the series, and in recent eps, his Serperior was the star of the show in the Junior Cup, with how the snake outsped and beat everyone in his path, save Alder.

I held out hope he'd do more as a character. I didn't expect a rivalry with him and Ash that would be better than Paul, I wanted somethin' different. Maybe somewhere down the line, he'll reappear and have something quirky to his character then, but otherwise... He could've been a lot better than how he was written.

The sound of drums
    Blog Entries

trip is wasted talent, if they could have made him more interesting and don't overglorified his serperior I could have even call him the anime's version of cheren

Banner created by Princess of Hoenn.

Comfort ghost Bouffalant Herdier's Avatar Forum Head
    Blog Entries
    Follow Bouffalant Herdier On Twitter
    Visit Bouffalant Herdier's Youtube Channel

Trip's stint on the show is over, and I'm very glad about that and all, but I'm still left confused about something: What was the point? He never went anywhere as a character, he hardly ever battled or even interacted with Ash, and though we were introduced to six of his Pokemon, his final battle with Ash came down to a one-on-one fight between Pikachu and Serperior; it's really quite something when the final battles against a rival are actually on a smaller scale than the earlier ones.

I never found him interesting, but I still surprised at how the writers have written him out so hastily. Oh well, I'm not complaining. Good riddance.

Who is this git?

I think Trip is one of the main reasons that turned people off of BW at first. Ash went from defeating Paul in an epic battle, defeating a Darkrai in the league and just tying with a Latios.

...And then he goes from that to losing to a beginning trainer and his brand new Snivy. Trip was awful and he's one of the reasons Best Wishes was disliked at the start.

Quote Originally Posted by The Fighting Misty View Post
    I think Trip is one of the main reasons that turned people off of BW at first. Ash went from defeating Paul in an epic battle, defeating a Darkrai in the league and just tying with a Latios.

...And then he goes from that to losing to a beginning trainer and his brand new Snivy. Trip was awful and he's one of the reasons Best Wishes was disliked at the start.
    Why can't you write like this back in Serebii.net? This is exactly what I was thinking. I have no problem with his design and his character, but I think people are put off more about Ash's Pikachu and training tactics than at Trip. I never had a problem with him. Infact other than Stephan, he is one of the rivals that is more put together than the rest.

Trip's design is awful too, don't get me wrong, the writers clearly made him look similar to Paul for a reason. I think they thought that alone would make him well received.

If anything we should have had Kotetsu as Ash's main rival this saga. I notice that friendly competitive rivals get less hate than serious ones, because they're just fun buddies for Ash to have around. That's why people prefer Bianca, Stephen and Kotetsu to Trip.

no he sucks as rival since he doesnt even care about ash or has a drive to battle him hes got a nice team though

Page 26 of 31 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast