Do you find Trip/Shooti to be an interesting rival? - Page 24

Page 24 of 31 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast
Results 346 to 360 of 451
Like Tree730Likes

Thread: Do you find Trip/Shooti to be an interesting rival?

  1. #346
    Master of Ghosts......... Gengarzilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Scaring the crap out of a frog
    Posts
    523
    Blog Entries
    1

    Follow Gengarzilla on Tumblr Visit Gengarzilla's Youtube Channel

    Default Re: Do you find Trip/Shooti to be an interesting rival?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wyvernphlare View Post
    The only thing I find interesting about Trip is his Team which is pretty cool but his personality is pretty basic and the fact that he is a beginner makes it impossible to take the rivalry seriously

    Exactly. That's my main problem with this rivalry. I just can't take it seriously.
    I have claimed the Spell Tag and Kasib Berry, along with Adaptability and Shadow Ball. I have also claimed Gastly.

    If you think Nintendo need to sue PETA up the ass for making Pokemon Black and Blue, copy and paste this into your sig.


    Hypnodance FTW!

  2. #347
    Best squid ever Bouffalant Herdier's Avatar Forum Head
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Bouffalant Farm, England
    Posts
    2,670
    Blog Entries
    36
    Follow Bouffalant Herdier On Twitter
    Visit Bouffalant Herdier's Youtube Channel

    Default Re: Do you find Trip/Shooti to be an interesting rival?

    I feel foolish for thinking this now, but when Ash and Trip's third battle ended in a tie, I actually had some hope this would be the turning point - Could this finally be a rivalry that isn't extremely one-sided up until the final battle? Little did I know that, rather than take the rivalry in a new and interesting direction, it began to have no direction whatsoever.

    Ash and Trip haven't battled again since then; why does BW have such a problem with characters battling their supposed main rivals? I must admit that I have (unintentionally) enjoyed Trip's fall from glory, but his trainer abilities are too inconsistent. It now feels like everyone aside from Ash can easily defeat him, but whilst Ash himself could probably defeat all but the most elite of trainers, he continues to remain one step behind the newbie trainer every step of the way. It just doesn't make any sense, and makes a mockery of every battle in the show.

    Trip has appeared so rarely, I was beginning to forget he even existed. Not that I'm complaining, but how was I ever suppose to take interest in the rivalry when I hardly know anything about one of the characters, or his Pokemon and their training?

    Who is this git?

  3. #348
    Because I can. Caseydia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,787

    Default Re: Do you find Trip/Shooti to be an interesting rival?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gengarzilla View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Caseydia View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gengarzilla View Post
    I. Hate. His. Guts.

    A new trainer for the rival was ok with Gary, since Ash was also a beginner at the time, but now it's just stupid. Ash's Level 9375605678735697 Pikachu losing to Trip's Level 5 Snivy was just so not right. Any anime writer with half a brain cell would have just dropped this annoying kid and used Cheren as the main rival.

    i swear, if Trip says "basic stuff" one more time, I am going to punch his smug little face all the way back to the first episode so he can the real beginning rival in action and learn the basics about being a rival. See what I did there?

    There, rant over.

    Edit: Oops, I think I just killed the debate...
    Wow. Just wow. I had cried but then I had to laugh to keep myself from being sane reading this. I have some questions.

    1. Would it have been better for you if Trip wasn't a beginner, yet we still have Ash acting like he hasn't learned anything from Sinnoh?

    2. Would it have been better if Ash didn't follow meet Trip to learn that he was just a beginner?

    3.Or would it had been best if Pikachu wouldn't have been the one to battle Snivy in the first place?

    There is quite a few questions I sometimes ask myself to see what could have been better for people to like Trip rather than the whole basic crap. I understand it does get old but so does the "kid" , "tasting time" and "Stephan name" gag does too. Other than his disappearance act that has happened for a while now, he has tied and beaten Ash once but that doesn't mean it's over just yet. I'm still waiting for the league. Then after that I guess I can let go of the whole bashing thing. But I really do wish people would be alittle more patient. I think he's a good character but the writing in this series has been all over the place since day one and I would like to finish the arc before I go on a rampage.
    Like I said, a beginner for a rival worked well with Gary, since Ash was also just starting out. This time though, I just find it a bit irritating and odd that Trip has been wiping the floor with Ash despite the obvious experience gap between the two, post-DP memory loss or not. If Trip were more like Paul, experience wise, then the rivalry would have been a bit more believable and enjoyable. His overconfident attitude also annoys me a bit.

    Yes, if Ash had gotten his Oshawott by then and used it against Snivy, then I could understand the loss, but when a Pikachu that has defeated Regice and tied with Latios loses to a Snivy with zero battling experience, then something's not right. Even without half of his moveset, Pikachu should have given Snivy a hard time.

    Either way, another battle between the two could be interesting. If it reveales some more on his character then I might as well just put up with him a bit more.
    I see. So I guess that the first question senerio would have been a better situation for you to have atleast could tolerate Trip then right? I agree in some way that he should have been not a beginner. I also would have like it if Trip had Litwick as a traveling Pokemon starter like Ash with Pikachu instead of Snivy. There was no need for two Snivys. All they had to do is replace Pidove/Tranquil for Solosis/Reuniclus and Timburr/Conkeldurr for Klink/Klinklang, then his team would have been better. Well atleast in my eyes. I love floating Pokemon.:D
    Gengarzilla likes this.

  4. #349
    Master of Ghosts......... Gengarzilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Scaring the crap out of a frog
    Posts
    523
    Blog Entries
    1

    Follow Gengarzilla on Tumblr Visit Gengarzilla's Youtube Channel

    Default Re: Do you find Trip/Shooti to be an interesting rival?

    Quote Originally Posted by Caseydia View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gengarzilla View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Caseydia View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gengarzilla View Post
    I. Hate. His. Guts.

    A new trainer for the rival was ok with Gary, since Ash was also a beginner at the time, but now it's just stupid. Ash's Level 9375605678735697 Pikachu losing to Trip's Level 5 Snivy was just so not right. Any anime writer with half a brain cell would have just dropped this annoying kid and used Cheren as the main rival.

    i swear, if Trip says "basic stuff" one more time, I am going to punch his smug little face all the way back to the first episode so he can the real beginning rival in action and learn the basics about being a rival. See what I did there?

    There, rant over.

    Edit: Oops, I think I just killed the debate...
    Wow. Just wow. I had cried but then I had to laugh to keep myself from being sane reading this. I have some questions.

    1. Would it have been better for you if Trip wasn't a beginner, yet we still have Ash acting like he hasn't learned anything from Sinnoh?

    2. Would it have been better if Ash didn't follow meet Trip to learn that he was just a beginner?

    3.Or would it had been best if Pikachu wouldn't have been the one to battle Snivy in the first place?

    There is quite a few questions I sometimes ask myself to see what could have been better for people to like Trip rather than the whole basic crap. I understand it does get old but so does the "kid" , "tasting time" and "Stephan name" gag does too. Other than his disappearance act that has happened for a while now, he has tied and beaten Ash once but that doesn't mean it's over just yet. I'm still waiting for the league. Then after that I guess I can let go of the whole bashing thing. But I really do wish people would be alittle more patient. I think he's a good character but the writing in this series has been all over the place since day one and I would like to finish the arc before I go on a rampage.
    Like I said, a beginner for a rival worked well with Gary, since Ash was also just starting out. This time though, I just find it a bit irritating and odd that Trip has been wiping the floor with Ash despite the obvious experience gap between the two, post-DP memory loss or not. If Trip were more like Paul, experience wise, then the rivalry would have been a bit more believable and enjoyable. His overconfident attitude also annoys me a bit.

    Yes, if Ash had gotten his Oshawott by then and used it against Snivy, then I could understand the loss, but when a Pikachu that has defeated Regice and tied with Latios loses to a Snivy with zero battling experience, then something's not right. Even without half of his moveset, Pikachu should have given Snivy a hard time.

    Either way, another battle between the two could be interesting. If it reveales some more on his character then I might as well just put up with him a bit more.
    I see. So I guess that the first question senerio would have been a better situation for you to have atleast could tolerate Trip then right? I agree in some way that he should have been not a beginner. I also would have like it if Trip had Litwick as a traveling Pokemon starter like Ash with Pikachu instead of Snivy. There was no need for two Snivys. All they had to do is replace Pidove/Tranquil for Solosis/Reuniclus and Timburr/Conkeldurr for Klink/Klinklang, then his team would have been better. Well atleast in my eyes. I love floating Pokemon.:D
    Damn, that looks much better. That would also make the embarrasing first battle feel more realistic. Pikachu vs Litwick? My bet is with the ghostly candle. Maybe Trip would have a good reason to mock Ash then, with Pikachu's first move used in the battle being Quick Attack...
    Caseydia likes this.
    I have claimed the Spell Tag and Kasib Berry, along with Adaptability and Shadow Ball. I have also claimed Gastly.

    If you think Nintendo need to sue PETA up the ass for making Pokemon Black and Blue, copy and paste this into your sig.


    Hypnodance FTW!

  5. #350
    Registered User Cinderfella's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Disneyland
    Posts
    230

    Default Re: Do you find Trip/Shooti to be an interesting rival?

    Bottom Line, It'd be basic to give Ash a main rival who is good.

  6. #351
    So what's your wish? Yato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Anywhere
    Posts
    6,671
    Blog Entries
    435

    Follow Yato on Tumblr

    Default Re: Do you find Trip/Shooti to be an interesting rival?

    He hasn't appeared since the last Donnamite, I think... so while I still hate him, I kinda do hope for more development from him

  7. #352
    My Will Be Done! Artichoker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Concepción, Chile
    Posts
    66

    Default Re: Do you find Trip/Shooti to be an interesting rival?

    he has kicked Ash's butt, he lost miserably in the two last tourneys, he hates Ash without reason, and the worst... he never greets. if there 4 reason to hate Paul, then there are 5 to hate Trip.

    Ash and Trip haven't battled again since then; why does BW have such a problem with characters battling their supposed main rivals? I must admit that I have (unintentionally) enjoyed Trip's fall from glory, but his trainer abilities are too inconsistent. It now feels like everyone aside from Ash can easily defeat him, but whilst Ash himself could probably defeat all but the most elite of trainers, he continues to remain one step behind the newbie trainer every step of the way. It just doesn't make any sense, and makes a mockery of every battle in the show.
    that is why I sometimes doubt if really Bianca is an Ash's rival. Anyway now I wonder if really wasa great idea replace Cheren by Trip :(

    Like I said, a beginner for a rival worked well with Gary, since Ash was also just starting out. This time though, I just find it a bit irritating and odd that Trip has been wiping the floor with Ash despite the obvious experience gap between the two, post-DP memory loss or not. If Trip were more like Paul, experience wise, then the rivalry would have been a bit more believable and enjoyable. His overconfident attitude also annoys me a bit.
    Ash and Gary had one thing that united them, the broken pokeball symbolizing... ehhh ... I do not remember, but this was something symbolic. Paul and Ash had something more linker: Chimchar. But Ash and Trip what do they have? NOTHING

  8. #353
    Because I can. Caseydia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,787

    Default Re: Do you find Trip/Shooti to be an interesting rival?

    Quote Originally Posted by Artichoker View Post
    he has kicked Ash's butt, he lost miserably in the two last tourneys, he hates Ash without reason, and the worst... he never greets. if there 4 reason to hate Paul, then there are 5 to hate Trip.

    Ash and Trip haven't battled again since then; why does BW have such a problem with characters battling their supposed main rivals? I must admit that I have (unintentionally) enjoyed Trip's fall from glory, but his trainer abilities are too inconsistent. It now feels like everyone aside from Ash can easily defeat him, but whilst Ash himself could probably defeat all but the most elite of trainers, he continues to remain one step behind the newbie trainer every step of the way. It just doesn't make any sense, and makes a mockery of every battle in the show.
    that is why I sometimes doubt if really Bianca is an Ash's rival. Anyway now I wonder if really wasa great idea replace Cheren by Trip :(

    Like I said, a beginner for a rival worked well with Gary, since Ash was also just starting out. This time though, I just find it a bit irritating and odd that Trip has been wiping the floor with Ash despite the obvious experience gap between the two, post-DP memory loss or not. If Trip were more like Paul, experience wise, then the rivalry would have been a bit more believable and enjoyable. His overconfident attitude also annoys me a bit.
    Ash and Gary had one thing that united them, the broken pokeball symbolizing... ehhh ... I do not remember, but this was something symbolic. Paul and Ash had something more linker: Chimchar. But Ash and Trip what do they have? NOTHING
    Okay let me see if I can get this straight.

    First, if I remember correctly, Pikachu who was nothing but a true mouse with no purpose, lost because it just had it's energy drained. That is not Trip's fault. It's Ash's for not seeing if Pikachu was healthy enough to battle. Since things like this usually happens to Pikachu, Ash was supposed to know better.

    Next is the battles, the first one he lost, the second match between him and Ash he did lose, but he tied with him after that.

    Third, it's again not Trip's fault that Ash has lost the other Don battle torunaments. If I yet again remember correctly, he was up against Iris in the finals and lost to her. Trip didn't even battle him, he battled someone else and lost. The next tournament he was up against Bianca. He didn't yet again had nothing to do with Ash's loss. It was someone else.

    And fourth, he doesn't hate Ash, he just think he's a boonie, which is another word for dumb, which in most cases he is depending on the situation. As far as greeting is concern, I don't remember Gary or Paul greeting Ash nicely, he would just come up to them call them their names and they would seem annoyed or something. Typical main male rival persona.
    Artichoker and martianmister like this.

  9. #354
    A giant among men SammyW27's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,057
    Add SammyW27 on Facebook
    Visit SammyW27's Youtube Channel

    Default Re: Do you find Trip/Shooti to be an interesting rival?

    He WAS. I especially liked the extra depth he got in BW22, 31 and somewhat 52. But most of the time he's an odd, dull cross between Gary and Paul. His defeats in both Don Tournaments certainly don't help his case much.

    And yes, it's not much of a rivalry. Even the short lived League rivals had more going for them...

    (Sometimes I swear the Plasma Embargo derailed the whole damn series...)
    Being a fan means being unashamed of what you like, no matter what anyone else says

  10. #355
    Registered User The Fighting Misty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    28,646
    Blog Entries
    49

    Default Re: Do you find Trip/Shooti to be an interesting rival?

    I never cared for him since his debut. Not only because Paul raised the bar too high...but because he was just so...bland. I hate his design, and he contributes nothing in most appearances that we didn't see better with any other rival. He's also not funny so he can't be played for comic relief.

    I can see Trip being completely forgotten about by most fans after BW ends. When people think of Ash's main rivals they'll think of Gary and Paul...Trip will never be mentioned alongside those two.

  11. #356
    Registered User Trainer Gabriel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,802
    Blog Entries
    5

    Default Re: Do you find Trip/Shooti to be an interesting rival?

    Nah, we'll all remember him after BW ends... as the worst character of all time, that is.

  12. #357
    Hoe- MISTY CONFIRMED 3Dchu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Gender
    Uncertain
    Posts
    121
    Blog Entries
    9

    Default Re: Do you find Trip/Shooti to be an interesting rival?

    No.

    I really thought he has potential since the first episode, but he is pretty much now the most forced rival ever.

    And no Pokémon Fan, advertising Trip as a powerfull rival doesn't work.
    Shinneth likes this.

  13. #358
    Because I can. Caseydia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,787

    Default Re: Do you find Trip/Shooti to be an interesting rival?

    Quote Originally Posted by Horseman View Post
    No.

    I really thought he has potential since the first episode, but he is pretty much now the most forced rival ever.

    And no Pokémon Fan, advertising Trip as a powerfull rival doesn't work.
    I agree. I think it makes him less of a Paul clone if he was weaker than he was. If he was stronger, then he would actually be a Paul clone. I don't want that. It's happening to Iris and some people don't like that, so no.

  14. #359
    追放されたバカ
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,327
    Blog Entries
    41

    Default Re: Do you find Trip/Shooti to be an interesting rival?

    Quote Originally Posted by mijuwott View Post
    I like Trip as a rival. I really don't see why lots of people can't stand him. Ash's new rival should be kind of... I have no clue. I suppose we'll find out soon enough.
    Because People doesn't like the FAKE SUPERIORITY that Trip has over Ash !
    I mean , All the Growth that Ash had in DP, There Noway Some Rocky like Trip could be Superior then Ash!
    But Writer reverse Ash's Growth & depowered Pikachu to Make Trip superior then Ash and make Pokemon as fun as the first series!
    But it failed
    No matter how much Writer goes for a NEW START & make Ash act like a Rocky , All Those 5 year of Journey won't get wash away.
    SO , Trip Superiority Look's too Fake & Unrealistic ! He's Rivalry with Ash doesn't feel real Ether ! It feel like Writer trying to force something on us to accept !!!
    Your right , Trip could have been a great Character
    If Writer didn't Over-glorified him!!!
    Why do you think People are So Pissed About Iris catching a Dragonite! She's a Dragon Trainer who's catching her 2ND Dragon type pokemon and Dragonite is a 2ND Best Dragon Pokemon!
    So, Why Does Iris popularity fall when she caught something as amazing as a Dragonite???
    Misty Still more Popular then her But Misty never received that much development & her Team sucked !
    So , Why Misty still So Popular then Iris ? Is it Because of her Tanned-Skin!
    NO! Its Because Writer Over-glorified Iris by mainly using Ash as a bait to Show her Battling Talent and giving Iris a Mega Powerhouse Like Dragonite When Ash never caught anything that goes near a Dragonite!
    Just Like how Writer Over-gloried Trip by giving him a fake Superiority !!!
    If Trip was treated like a REAL ROOKIE who develop step by Step with Ash's Help! If Trip was a rival who act unfriendly toward ash but admire him deep inside & Appreciate Ash's help
    So What If Trip Sucked at first ? May sucked too but she develop into fine Trainer !
    Plus , Trip is Rookie now So its a Appropriate Time for Trip to make Several Mistake and sometime get Humiliated Like Ash , May & Dawn got! But its not Appropriate Time for Ash to act like a Rookie because that time passed 15 year ago!
    Writer could show Trip's talent by making him defect Ash's other Unova rival & Trainer ! Specially Trainer who was Stronger then Trip at first . Like Steven for Example!
    If Writer simply make Ash & Trip rivalry like a rivalry between carefree Powerful Experienced Trainer And A Serious minded Antisocial Rookie then People Would accept that !
    But Writer did the opposite !They made Trip superior to Ash but inferior to other rival!
    And Since Writer Did the Opposite , They got the Opposite result !
    That's Why People are Looking Forward to the NEW RIVAL!!! Because we hope that this rival might save Ash from being further humiliate by a Rookie! We hope this New Rival gonna take Trip's place as the new Main rival So there will be no need for Ash to be inferior to a Rookie!!!

  15. #360
    Token Evil Teammate CypherFDP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Molvania
    Posts
    1,217
    Blog Entries
    118

    Default Re: Do you find Trip/Shooti to be an interesting rival?

    Don't like him, mostly for the same reason I disliked Paul. I mean, yeah, at the beginning I thought it was pretty cool, a rival who's less of a generic friend and more of a... well, rival. Then it goes on and you realize that this character is going nowhere. The rivalry is going nowhere. Ash is going to lose again and again until the last battle, and the rival evolves at the bare minimum required by a kid's show. Trip showed shades of becoming interesting with the whole Alder thing, but that hasn't been brought up since.

    He just strikes me as Paul-lite, and Ash's constant defeats are even more ridiculous considering the experience under his belt, but to be fair, that's not really something that can be blamed on Trip's character, it's more the writing requiring a beginner Ash instead of seasoned veteran Ash. That's really been the theme of the anime since the whole Plasma delay, disappointment.

    Quote Originally Posted by V Faction View Post
    "Harumpf! I do say, THIS counterfeit was more impressive than THAT counterfeit!"

Page 24 of 31 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •