Do you find Trip/Shooti to be an interesting rival? - Page 23

Page 23 of 31 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast
Like Tree730Likes

Thread: Do you find Trip/Shooti to be an interesting rival?

Blog Entries

Follow Yato on Tumblr

Default Re: Do you find Trip/Shooti to be an interesting rival?

Keniyan is better Trip

Quote Originally Posted by Human View Post
    Trip fails to stand out from other characters because he's the only sane character. Ash, Cilan, Iris, Bianca Burgundy,Georgia and What's His Name(Steven?) are all insane. People like seeing insane people in TV, so when a sane person is shown in TV, people switch the channel. It's the case with Trip. We have nothing to look forward to when he shows up. He has evolved his Pokemon? Oh that's just basic. Nothing to write home about. He battles Ash? Oh OK I guess. Does the rivalry advance? No? *Yawn*.
    Everyone's insane? I never thought of this. I think what the writers are doing is that since we've just come out of the DP saga where the writers had made Ash's rivalry with Paul fantastic, they are driving away from that in this series and are focusing on other rivals that don't usual get such great attention and development.

Blog Entries

Follow Yato on Tumblr

Blog Entries

Personally I've never really gotten the desire to see Sato bring back his Poké and crush Shooty...'s team with them. Yeah he was a bit of a dick and thought Sato was a bad trainer but does it really make Sato a good trainer to have beaten a newbie with an experienced team? Not really in my opinion, unless they actually went somewhere with that for their 'rivalry', sorta like how Kasumi and Takeshi called out Satoshi on it with Lizardon.

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

I wonder what Idiotic idea Writer has in his head to make Trip a Main Rival ???
    I guess a full battle where Ash getting his butt kick !
    Why they doesn't give a break & just bring Cute girl as a main rival !
    I want to see Ash beating Trip as easily as Trip beaten him ! I wanna see Trip panicking and wonder how Ash become this strong !
    But NOOOOOOOOO!
    Ash has straggle against Trip ! He have to use his very last strength to beat Trip !
    Because Ash is not allowed to beat Trip easily ! Trip is allowed to beat Ash without Breaking a swat but Ash has no right to get One victory against him without straggling like Hell !
    So Trip fan's !
    DO YOU GUY'S FIND IT FAIR !!!!

Gonna be a tl;dr Master! Shinneth's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I've noticed we're having a stream of episodes where various rivals are making their own independent re-appearances (technically we could count Stephan even if it was just before Donamite), with Georgia and Luke confirmed to be appearing on their own in the near future. Trip hasn't made a non-Don Battle appearance since the Alder episode, so he's well overdue to be appearing again. And his last few appearances have shown Trip in a much less Stu-ish light - more of the opposite, actually - but completely lacking follow-up, foreshadowing, or anything to attribute to Trip's character growth. One might argue that he's been knocked down a peg after losing in the first rounds of both Don Battles and learning the truth about Alder, but Trip still remains unchanged despite this from what we've seen.

I'm concerned that they're going to pull a Paul with Trip's next appearance; by that I mean when Paul was really humbled when he learned Ash already beat Brandon, and Brandon wiped the floor with him in battle with Ash watching, only for Paul to make a mighty comeback by dominating Ash in their following full battle. I really hope this doesn't happen with Trip, that he utterly destroys Ash in a full battle the next time he appears. This worked fine for Paul because they had a lot of story build-up and actual character development, however subtle it was, to build up to these moments of change.

But there's been zero change with Trip since he debuted, besides no longer being obsessed with Alder. He's yet to actually lose a battle against Ash, he hasn't been shown to give a damn about his early outs in the tournaments by Cilan and Bianca, so there's really no reason to throw Trip a bone here because he doesn't need a decisive victory against Ash at this point. It should be the other way around, if anything, but like @Iteru said, I don't find much satisfaction in Ash beating Trip in a battle at this point. The writers have failed to give me any reason to give a damn about this so-called rivalry, and not much will be gained for Ash by beating him anyway.

It feels so utterly pointless by now.

Chapter 19: Black Ice Battle!
    plurk | SPPF | dA | ff.net

Blog Entries

Follow Yato on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Iteru View Post
    Personally I've never really gotten the desire to see Sato bring back his Poké and crush Shooty...'s team with them. Yeah he was a bit of a dick and thought Sato was a bad trainer but does it really make Sato a good trainer to have beaten a newbie with an experienced team? Not really in my opinion, unless they actually went somewhere with that for their 'rivalry', sorta like how Kasumi and Takeshi called out Satoshi on it with Lizardon.
    Yeah... but technically speaking, Ash isn't a newbie. He's been through five large tournaments, one he actually won, and it's only right that he's experienced. What's made most people scream at the BW episodes was that Ash was being treated like some stupid rookie trainer by ANOTHER stupid rookie trainer - even though Ash had all that glorious past moments. Even though we pretty much dislike hAsh being stupid, we all want to defend his pride and it would probably be a lie if not one of us thought how wonderful it might be if Ash brought all his past pokemons and crushed Trip - HARD enough for him to never put down Ash again. Didn't we want something like that when Paul was insulting Ash?

Of course it's not fair for Ash to use his old pokemons - but we can dream XDD Trip's a rude kiddy boy, and we want him to get pwned at some point XDD

Blog Entries

Well, I can assure you that I'm not lying :P

Quote Originally Posted by Destiny Queen View Post
    Didn't we want something like that when Paul was insulting Ash?
    Not really, because Shinji only insulted Satoshi's DP team, and them not getting retribution would have been silly in my opinion given that they'd never get to prove that they are strong (this slightly reminds me of the debates about what team Satoshi would use against Shinji in the league). I think the case is similar here to a lesser extent. The past Pokémon have nothing to gain by being brought back for one battle with someone they have no connection with while the Isshu team does. Besides, Satoshi can show Shooty that he is an experienced trainer by being able to apply his experience to a newer team to make them stronger than a team raised by a new trainer. In my opinion that's a lot more satisfying than seeing some one minute battle where the Pokémon that get brought back don't even get to be showcased much due to it being a sweep.

Yah, Trip can go get replaced for what I care. Guy gets no screen time compared to the others and has no reactions to loosing and doesn't seem to care about Ash, why should I care about this guy? They mine as well just randomly added him at the last minute as a lame league rival for Ash to beat. I hated the fact that he was calling Kanto trainers lame pretty much due to a few mistakes, what Pokemon should do is have Ash beat him when hes down and say "What was that last comment you said about Kanto?"
    Ash fan. Multi Ash shipper =]

Blog Entries

Trip is the most interesting (even awesome) rival EVER!!!
    Despite being rookie, he has many good strategies for battling, he has defeated ash twice!
    He has many interesting Pokemon (I can't wait for his Servine evolves ^_^)
    He's not cruel trainer, although Timburr/Gurdurr had lost against Ash (Oshawott) and Cilan (Dwebble), he never release weak Pokemon
    He also helped Ash out why Oshawott couldn't control Aqua Jet move!
    He's a prodigy young guy! He has an idol (Alder) who inspired him to become a Champion!
    I admire him!!!
    Last edited by Airi-Chan; 3rd June 2012 at 11:04 PM. Reason: grammar

Blog Entries

We're only like 13-14 episodes away from the League, at this point it's really too late for him be interesting. If he's in the World Tournament, he's not going to get the chance to battle Adler anyway. So I see no hope for him at all.

Master of Ghosts......... Gengarzilla's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow Gengarzilla on Tumblr Visit Gengarzilla's Youtube Channel

I. Hate. His. Guts.

A new trainer for the rival was ok with Gary, since Ash was also a beginner at the time, but now it's just stupid. Ash's Level 9375605678735697 Pikachu losing to Trip's Level 5 Snivy was just so not right. Any anime writer with half a brain cell would have just dropped this annoying kid and used Cheren as the main rival.

i swear, if Trip says "basic stuff" one more time, I am going to punch his smug little face all the way back to the first episode so he can the real beginning rival in action and learn the basics about being a rival. See what I did there?

There, rant over.

Edit: Oops, I think I just killed the debate...
    Last edited by Gengarzilla; 1st July 2012 at 08:27 AM.
    Yankees4life likes this.
    I have claimed the Spell Tag and Kasib Berry, along with Adaptability and Shadow Ball. I have also claimed Gastly.

If you think Nintendo need to sue PETA up the ass for making Pokemon Black and Blue, copy and paste this into your sig.

Hypnodance FTW!

Quote Originally Posted by Gengarzilla View Post
    I. Hate. His. Guts.

A new trainer for the rival was ok with Gary, since Ash was also a beginner at the time, but now it's just stupid. Ash's Level 9375605678735697 Pikachu losing to Trip's Level 5 Snivy was just so not right. Any anime writer with half a brain cell would have just dropped this annoying kid and used Cheren as the main rival.

i swear, if Trip says "basic stuff" one more time, I am going to punch his smug little face all the way back to the first episode so he can the real beginning rival in action and learn the basics about being a rival. See what I did there?

There, rant over.

Wow. Just wow. I had cried but then I had to laugh to keep myself from being sane reading this. I have some questions.

1. Would it have been better for you if Trip wasn't a beginner, yet we still have Ash acting like he hasn't learned anything from Sinnoh?

2. Would it have been better if Ash didn't follow meet Trip to learn that he was just a beginner?

3.Or would it had been best if Pikachu wouldn't have been the one to battle Snivy in the first place?

There is quite a few questions I sometimes ask myself to see what could have been better for people to like Trip rather than the whole basic crap. I understand it does get old but so does the "kid" , "tasting time" and "Stephan name" gag does too. Other than his disappearance act that has happened for a while now, he has tied and beaten Ash once but that doesn't mean it's over just yet. I'm still waiting for the league. Then after that I guess I can let go of the whole bashing thing. But I really do wish people would be alittle more patient. I think he's a good character but the writing in this series has been all over the place since day one and I would like to finish the arc before I go on a rampage.

Master of Ghosts......... Gengarzilla's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow Gengarzilla on Tumblr Visit Gengarzilla's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Caseydia View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gengarzilla View Post
    I. Hate. His. Guts.

There, rant over.

Wow. Just wow. I had cried but then I had to laugh to keep myself from being sane reading this. I have some questions.

1. Would it have been better for you if Trip wasn't a beginner, yet we still have Ash acting like he hasn't learned anything from Sinnoh?

2. Would it have been better if Ash didn't follow meet Trip to learn that he was just a beginner?

3.Or would it had been best if Pikachu wouldn't have been the one to battle Snivy in the first place?

There is quite a few questions I sometimes ask myself to see what could have been better for people to like Trip rather than the whole basic crap. I understand it does get old but so does the "kid" , "tasting time" and "Stephan name" gag does too. Other than his disappearance act that has happened for a while now, he has tied and beaten Ash once but that doesn't mean it's over just yet. I'm still waiting for the league. Then after that I guess I can let go of the whole bashing thing. But I really do wish people would be alittle more patient. I think he's a good character but the writing in this series has been all over the place since day one and I would like to finish the arc before I go on a rampage.
    Like I said, a beginner for a rival worked well with Gary, since Ash was also just starting out. This time though, I just find it a bit irritating and odd that Trip has been wiping the floor with Ash despite the obvious experience gap between the two, post-DP memory loss or not. If Trip were more like Paul, experience wise, then the rivalry would have been a bit more believable and enjoyable. His overconfident attitude also annoys me a bit.

Yes, if Ash had gotten his Oshawott by then and used it against Snivy, then I could understand the loss, but when a Pikachu that has defeated Regice and tied with Latios loses to a Snivy with zero battling experience, then something's not right. Even without half of his moveset, Pikachu should have given Snivy a hard time.

Either way, another battle between the two could be interesting. If it reveales some more on his character then I might as well just put up with him a bit more.
    I have claimed the Spell Tag and Kasib Berry, along with Adaptability and Shadow Ball. I have also claimed Gastly.

If you think Nintendo need to sue PETA up the ass for making Pokemon Black and Blue, copy and paste this into your sig.

Hypnodance FTW!

Blog Entries

The only thing I find interesting about Trip is his Team which is pretty cool but his personality is pretty basic and the fact that he is a beginner makes it impossible to take the rivalry seriously it doesn't help that Trip barely appeared and his equivilant to Ursaring was never shown winning a battle. I was also really pissed off how he owned Ash in their second battle even though Ash had plenty of time to recooperate from the Zekrom thing and get his act together but he didn't. And his xenophobia thing was kinda annoying and makes me want to punch him. I mean with Paul we at least understood that he was trying to get results and it is possible to get behind that and he filled a void of sin but with Trip he just comes off annoying.

Muk-amatic said it best "Stephan is officially Ash's main rival" I mean he got a lot more screen time recently and he actually did stuff. I understand where Trip is coming from leaving right after he loses but when he does that after losing in the first round you have to wonder why was he even there. Could there be a scene where it shows what he is doing instead though. It would be nice to see a scene where he battles someone who isn't Ash or his friends to give him more threat value. I mean Paul was so built up but Trip just isn't.
    Hidden Mew and Artichoker like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Linkara
    Gary reveals that he already has six pokemon. And judging by the pokemon around that area I'm guessing he has a rat a bird two bugs AND anouther bird

Page 23 of 31 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast