Do you find Trip/Shooti to be an interesting rival? - Page 16

Page 16 of 31 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast
Results 226 to 240 of 451
Like Tree732Likes

Thread: Do you find Trip/Shooti to be an interesting rival?

  1. #226
    Because I can. Caseydia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,790

    Default Re: Do you find Shooty to be an interesting rival?

    No. They only need to make a better plot for Ash and Trip's rivalry. We don't need anymore boring recruiting characters pop up and do nothing. Since there is nothing but filler going on, Trip is not even on my mind right now. It's the next gym. Maybe they can have Trip battle first or last while Ash is there. Maybe learn something new from each other. Hell, I don't know.

  2. #227
    El_
    El_ is offline
    Registered User El_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    N's Puzzle Cube
    Posts
    1,440
    Blog Entries
    5

    Default Re: Do you find Shooty to be an interesting rival?

    Quote Originally Posted by HilbertCressLover View Post
    Trip does have a personality and he is interesting. To me, he looks like he thinks he's better than most people, but still polite. Like, when he bowed down to Don George after his battle with Ash. We all know he likes to say basic, and I find that interesting for him.
    The first part of this post reminds me of somebody... now who could it be... who thinks their better than most people and still showed respect to his superiors? (Gym Leaders/Champions/Professors)

    That sounds awfully familiar... why can't I remember it... Oh, wait a minute... its coming back...

    Paul?

    As for him saying basic, the only reason he does that is because he likely represents the basics of Pokemon. Hes like a tutorial I guess, but that should have been Cheren, not Trip. I also fail to see how him and Ash wanting to defeat Alder makes them a compelling rivalry. Thats something that literally nearly every trainer wants to do.

    As for him being subtle about putting down Ash, he is anything but subtle. He only appears that way because he doesn't really care about their "rivalry" at all. His hating on Kanto and "hicks" sticks out like a sore thumb and only serves to make Trip even more unlikeable. Here we have this trainer, who has traveled and been all across the world of Pokemon and has seen exotic places and had experiences that people can only dream of, and here we have another trainer who has very likely never been outside his own region, never had that many notable experiences if none at all before he receives his very first Pokemon, and refers to everyone living outside of it and those in rural areas as "hicks".

    Yeah, this rivalry is BS imo. Trip is going to need alot as in a whole mountain of development if he is to ever become interesting.

  3. #228
    king of hearts Squall Leonhart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Gender
    Genderless
    Location
    balamb garden
    Posts
    1,717

    Default Re: Do you find Shooty to be an interesting rival?

    Quote Originally Posted by El_ View Post
    The first part of this post reminds me of somebody... now who could it be... who thinks their better than most people and still showed respect to his superiors? (Gym Leaders/Champions/Professors)

    That sounds awfully familiar... why can't I remember it... Oh, wait a minute... its coming back...

    Paul?

    As for him saying basic, the only reason he does that is because he likely represents the basics of Pokemon. Hes like a tutorial I guess, but that should have been Cheren, not Trip. I also fail to see how him and Ash wanting to defeat Alder makes them a compelling rivalry. Thats something that literally nearly every trainer wants to do.

    As for him being subtle about putting down Ash, he is anything but subtle. He only appears that way because he doesn't really care about their "rivalry" at all. His hating on Kanto and "hicks" sticks out like a sore thumb and only serves to make Trip even more unlikeable. Here we have this trainer, who has traveled and been all across the world of Pokemon and has seen exotic places and had experiences that people can only dream of, and here we have another trainer who has very likely never been outside his own region, never had that many notable experiences if none at all before he receives his very first Pokemon, and refers to everyone living outside of it and those in rural areas as "hicks".

    Yeah, this rivalry is BS imo. Trip is going to need alot as in a whole mountain of development if he is to ever become interesting.
    Okay, I'll admit, that IS awfully similar to Paul... But I don't see how it still can't be interesting with Trip. If that makes any sense. He and Ash wanting to defeat Alder is a compelling rivalry because Trip MET Alder. And Ash has as well(right?). So that might make it more of a personal matter than just trying to defeat the champion and stuff. And Trip calling Kanto and would probably call other regions names IS interesting. I don't see how it couldn't be. There has to be some reason he's like that, or maybe he's just an arrogant Unova resident. Either way, it's interesting. Well, to me. I don't see how it could make him more unlikeable. And I'm still hoping for development with Trip like most people(I just like him). I think he's just gotten bad treatment from the writers, like they have NO IDEA what to do with him.

  4. #229
    Prince of Renais FinalArcadia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Preparing for battle
    Posts
    2,743
    Blog Entries
    51

    Follow FinalArcadia on Tumblr Visit FinalArcadia's Youtube Channel

    Default Re: Do you find Shooty to be an interesting rival?

    Quote Originally Posted by HilbertCressLover View Post
    Okay, I'll admit, that IS awfully similar to Paul... But I don't see how it still can't be interesting with Trip. If that makes any sense. He and Ash wanting to defeat Alder is a compelling rivalry because Trip MET Alder.
    Why can't it be interesting? Because he's like Paul gone horribly, terribly wrong. Like if you took all the things that made Paul a great rival and character in general (the battle between he and Ash's opposing training styles/ideologies, Paul's intense desire for strength, his drive to beat Brandon, his mostly awkward relationship with Reggie), and then threw them out the window. You'd probably be left with Trip, a mere shell of an effective rival, or even character in general.

    So just because Trip met Alder, that instantly makes for an effective rivalry? I'm not sure I understand that logic. Alder doesn't really create much of a bridge between Ash and Trip. They're rivals...because they want not to battle each other, but somebody else? That doesn't really make sense to me.

  5. #230
    king of hearts Squall Leonhart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Gender
    Genderless
    Location
    balamb garden
    Posts
    1,717

    Default Re: Do you find Shooty to be an interesting rival?

    Quote Originally Posted by FinalArcadia View Post

    So just because Trip met Alder, that instantly makes for an effective rivalry? I'm not sure I understand that logic. Alder doesn't really create much of a bridge between Ash and Trip. They're rivals...because they want not to battle each other, but somebody else? That doesn't really make sense to me.
    I guess that's what I'm getting at. I'm saying that it's different for Trip and Ash wanting to beat the champion. It's not just some random champion that they don't even know, and want to beat. It actually is someone they have both met, and Trip wants to beat Alder for different reasons than Ash. They have the same goal, but different reasons, for wanting to beat Alder. If that made any sense to anybody but me, that is sort of what I was getting at. I just can't explain it well.

  6. #231
    覚えてる? CommanderPigg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Gender
    Uncertain
    Location
    Floriderp
    Posts
    3,468
    Blog Entries
    95

    Follow CommanderPigg on Tumblr Visit CommanderPigg's Youtube Channel

    Default Re: Do you find Shooty to be an interesting rival?

    Quote Originally Posted by HilbertCressLover View Post
    I guess that's what I'm getting at. I'm saying that it's different for Trip and Ash wanting to beat the champion. It's not just some random champion that they don't even know, and want to beat. It actually is someone they have both met, and Trip wants to beat Alder for different reasons than Ash. They have the same goal, but different reasons, for wanting to beat Alder. If that made any sense to anybody but me, that is sort of what I was getting at. I just can't explain it well.
    There really wasn't much of a conflict though...so yes, they want to defeat Alder for different reasons. But so do hundreds of other trainers in the Unova region. It's not exactly like it's an uncommon goal. If their reasons for wanting to beat him actually clashed or made some sort of interesting side plot, maybe this would be compelling, but it's not. Trip wants to defeat Alder because...Alder's his childhood hero/ultimate goal to defeat to get "stronger." And Ash...Ash wants to battle anything that moves.

    Now, I'll give the Alder episode some credit. For the first time in the series, I got a feel for Trip's character. Like, he actually emoted, and felt flustered and shocked and disappointed...emotions that he's never shown before but are finally coming out when his hero is shown to be the complete opposite of his ideal of a "strong trainer."

    They could have gone SO much further than that and actually made this event impact Ash and Trip's RIVALRY (by perhaps letting Trip see the blatant similarities between Ash and Alder, causing him to realize that raw training isn't the only way to get stronger?) but I guess they're taking it slow.

    But at least now, the rivalry has SOME sort of basis to it. Now, the question is whether or not they develop it...

    Unlike Paul, I can see Trip make a believable complete 180, since he's still a neophyte, and the only thing he has to change is his attitude towards goals and getting stronger (his training style is apparently flawless ). Not even because he experienced anything traumatic in his past that caused him to think this way (or, at least, that we know of). Just because he's naturally a condescending dickhead. I can live with that, I guess.

    "seasons change, people change"

  7. #232
    mientes Aestivate's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    4,054
    Blog Entries
    1

    Follow Aestivate on Tumblr Visit Aestivate's Youtube Channel

    Default Re: Do you find Shooty to be an interesting rival?

    Quote Originally Posted by CommanderPigg View Post
    They could have gone SO much further than that and actually made this event impact Ash and Trip's RIVALRY (by perhaps letting Trip see the blatant similarities between Ash and Alder, causing him to realize that raw training isn't the only way to get stronger?) but I guess they're taking it slow.
    This is definitely what the Adeku episode seemed to be setting up towards. I would like to see the Shootie that thinks that his road to power (even though Adeku points out exactly how blatantly WRONG he is) start losing it slightly, and because Satoshi is Satoshi, start to help correct his thinking. I want to see Shootie get PUMMELED before the league and swear revenge in the League (the opposite of Shinji/Satoshi), but by that time Shootie's mindset is changed and he goes back to somewhat being that cute moe shotaro boy that he was in the episode they tied :p This way, Satoshi's influence will actually seem to affect Shootie.

    I'm just hoping that here on out that a different approach (certainly something more believable and something that is... you know, actually compelling and interesting) is taken with this "rivalry." Maybe in the climax of BW, should we ever get there (epic TP showdown? yes, please!) the key players will be Shootie and Satoshi. Which would set up an up-close-and-personal way as to how Shootie is doing it horribly, horribly wrong and how Satoshi is doing it right even though the results so far had not shown it... Hence Satoshi giving Shootie a true ass-whooping so Shootie can get his BSOD.

    Well, I can dream.

  8. #233
    追放されたバカ
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,327
    Blog Entries
    41

    Default Re: Do you find Shooty to be an interesting rival?

    Trip isn't a interesting rival at all and if we have to wait for the end of the Unova saga to see Ash finally beat Trip then it will Writer inability to create good Rivalry
    I think There no need to have a main rival, All rival are should be equally strong and there should be no telling which rival is the strongest
    That right, All the rival would be so nake a nake but people gonna argue about who is Ash's main rival ?
    Man, I love to see a episode where Trip got badly beaten by a trainer & he gonna blame it on Gurdurr. Ash gonna get angry at this & defend Gurdurr but Trip gonna ignor
    Than Alder show up, he suggest that Trip should let Ash train Gurdurr for week & then they gonna have full battle where Ash gonna use Gurdurr
    Ash & Trip agree at this. Trip leave his Gurdurr to Ash & Ash had a little problame making friend with Gurdurr but he later sucecide . After one weak pass by, Ash & Trip face each other with Trip totally confident in his victory
    But when the Battle Start, Ash's Pikachu took Trip's Serperior down with Counter shield & Eletro ball. Trip got surprise at first but he recover
    But when Ash took down 3 of his pokemon with his own Gurdurr ,Trip start to panic. He thought to himself how Ash make his weak Gurdurr so strong
    During Battle Ash told Trip that he always focus on power & never tried to know Gurdurr's heart. He always follows his so called Basic while Ash try to know Gurdurr heart
    May be it make Ash weak at first but after he understood Gurdurr heart he manage to be one with Gurdurr making its attack so powerful
    Alder compliment on Ash saying that Ash process a Great talent for bring out a pokemon's true potencial. Alder also reveal that Ash might have unwillingly hold back against Trip in their 2nd battle because a part of Ash's mind saw Trip as a rocky
    Trip start to shack in fear after realisaing that Ash is a trainer of far different level . He start to wonder how did the Gurdurr who so weak become such a powerful pokemon. As he about to give up , Ash shout at him saying there are far greater Trainer out there then him so Trip shouldn't let his fear control him & fight back with everything he got
    Hearing those word, Trip regain his mojo & Battle as hard as he could even after knowing he goona lose
    After the battle over Trip vow that he will try to understand his Pokemon Heart so he can fight Senior Ash as equal. It seem he gain a huge admiration toward Ash calling him a Senior
    Ash return Gurdurr him & Said that he only fought for Gurdurr and he gonna wait for the day when they face as equal

  9. #234
    Because I can. Caseydia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,790

    Default Re: Do you find Shooty to be an interesting rival?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kishore View Post
    Trip isn't a interesting rival at all and if we have to wait for the end of the Unova saga to see Ash finally beat Trip then it will Writer inability to create good Rivalry
    I think There no need to have a main rival, All rival are should be equally strong and there should be no telling which rival is the strongest
    That right, All the rival would be so nake a nake but people gonna argue about who is Ash's main rival ?
    Man, I love to see a episode where Trip got badly beaten by a trainer & he gonna blame it on Gurdurr. Ash gonna get angry at this & defend Gurdurr but Trip gonna ignor
    Than Alder show up, he suggest that Trip should let Ash train Gurdurr for week & then they gonna have full battle where Ash gonna use Gurdurr
    Ash & Trip agree at this. Trip leave his Gurdurr to Ash & Ash had a little problame making friend with Gurdurr but he later sucecide . After one weak pass by, Ash & Trip face each other with Trip totally confident in his victory
    But when the Battle Start, Ash's Pikachu took Trip's Serperior down with Counter shield & Eletro ball. Trip got surprise at first but he recover
    But when Ash took down 3 of his pokemon with his own Gurdurr ,Trip start to panic. He thought to himself how Ash make his weak Gurdurr so strong
    During Battle Ash told Trip that he always focus on power & never tried to know Gurdurr's heart. He always follows his so called Basic while Ash try to know Gurdurr heart
    May be it make Ash weak at first but after he understood Gurdurr heart he manage to be one with Gurdurr making its attack so powerful
    Alder compliment on Ash saying that Ash process a Great talent for bring out a pokemon's true potencial. Alder also reveal that Ash might have unwillingly hold back against Trip in their 2nd battle because a part of Ash's mind saw Trip as a rocky
    Trip start to shack in fear after realisaing that Ash is a trainer of far different level . He start to wonder how did the Gurdurr who so weak become such a powerful pokemon. As he about to give up , Ash shout at him saying there are far greater Trainer out there then him so Trip shouldn't let his fear control him & fight back with everything he got
    Hearing those word, Trip regain his mojo & Battle as hard as he could even after knowing he goona lose
    After the battle over Trip vow that he will try to understand his Pokemon Heart so he can fight Senior Ash as equal. It seem he gain a huge admiration toward Ash calling him a Senior
    Ash return Gurdurr him & Said that he only fought for Gurdurr and he gonna wait for the day when they face as equal
    Your little written episode there is similar on how Paul got his rivalry with Ash. Is being mean to Pokemon the only thing people can think of to start a rivalry with Ash and Trip? Isn't there another way? It just seems sad and that all of Ash's boy rivals are mean pigs and his girl rivals don't do squat.

  10. #235
    king of hearts Squall Leonhart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Gender
    Genderless
    Location
    balamb garden
    Posts
    1,717

    Default Re: Do you find Shooty to be an interesting rival?

    Quote Originally Posted by CommanderPigg View Post
    Now, I'll give the Alder episode some credit. For the first time in the series, I got a feel for Trip's character. Like, he actually emoted, and felt flustered and shocked and disappointed...emotions that he's never shown before but are finally coming out when his hero is shown to be the complete opposite of his ideal of a "strong trainer."

    They could have gone SO much further than that and actually made this event impact Ash and Trip's RIVALRY (by perhaps letting Trip see the blatant similarities between Ash and Alder, causing him to realize that raw training isn't the only way to get stronger?) but I guess they're taking it slow.

    But at least now, the rivalry has SOME sort of basis to it. Now, the question is whether or not they develop it...

    Unlike Paul, I can see Trip make a believable complete 180, since he's still a neophyte, and the only thing he has to change is his attitude towards goals and getting stronger (his training style is apparently flawless ). Not even because he experienced anything traumatic in his past that caused him to think this way (or, at least, that we know of). Just because he's naturally a condescending dickhead. I can live with that, I guess.
    The Alder episode sounds really interesting...! I'd like to see Trip get flustered...
    Uh, anyway, I'm looking forward to that episode, but I'll probably disappointed since they don't go more into Trip's character a bit more. I hope Trip DOES have some sort of backstory... I mean, I don't really mind if he doesn't, but it'd add more to him(and maybe make people like him more). Maybe Trip doesn't have any actual memories, so he constantly takes pictures to never forget stuff? I think that'd be interesting. Trip has to have SOME reason he's always taking those pictures of his journey. Or maybe it's just basic to take pictures of it?

  11. #236
    El_
    El_ is offline
    Registered User El_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    N's Puzzle Cube
    Posts
    1,440
    Blog Entries
    5

    Default Re: Do you find Shooty to be an interesting rival?

    Quote Originally Posted by Caseydia View Post
    Isn't there another way? It just seems sad and that all of Ash's boy rivals are mean pigs and his girl rivals don't do squat.
    Theres N. N as we all know loves Pokemon, but he doesn't understand humans so he is willing to challenge their truths/ideals and his own to the limit to get understanding.

    Just imagine a rival who demands that Ash release Pikachu, who can actually "talk" to Pikachu, and Ash actually considering to do so with all of his Pokemon. It has been shown that Ash actually will release Pokemon if they are happier some place else (including Pikachu) so he would at least hear N out on his beliefs and likely agree with alot of them while showing N that Pokemon and humans can indeed live in harmony with one another.

    I hope that answered your question.

  12. #237
    Because I can. Caseydia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,790

    Default Re: Do you find Shooty to be an interesting rival?

    Quote Originally Posted by El_ View Post
    Theres N. N as we all know loves Pokemon, but he doesn't understand humans so he is willing to challenge their truths/ideals and his own to the limit to get understanding.

    Just imagine a rival who demands that Ash release Pikachu, who can actually "talk" to Pikachu, and Ash actually considering to do so with all of his Pokemon. It has been shown that Ash actually will release Pokemon if they are happier some place else (including Pikachu) so he would at least hear N out on his beliefs and likely agree with alot of them while showing N that Pokemon and humans can indeed live in harmony with one another.

    I hope that answered your question.
    That's a great idea. It would be great if N was a rival plot. Too bad he's not on the show yet. Or will he ever be?

  13. #238
    Entertainment Duelist Momoka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    my room
    Posts
    3,526

    Follow Momoka on Tumblr

    Default Re: Do you find Shooty to be an interesting rival?

    Quote Originally Posted by El_ View Post
    Theres N. N as we all know loves Pokemon, but he doesn't understand humans so he is willing to challenge their truths/ideals and his own to the limit to get understanding.

    Just imagine a rival who demands that Ash release Pikachu, who can actually "talk" to Pikachu, and Ash actually considering to do so with all of his Pokemon. It has been shown that Ash actually will release Pokemon if they are happier some place else (including Pikachu) so he would at least hear N out on his beliefs and likely agree with alot of them while showing N that Pokemon and humans can indeed live in harmony with one another.

    I hope that answered your question.

    OH MY GOD, YES. N.... (Swoons off into her own little world world)

    But, um... I think he would be more of an antagonist, since he is the leader of Team Plasma.

    Trip really needs some kind of story to him.

    all my life I've tried to hide what history has given me

  14. #239
    覚えてる? CommanderPigg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Gender
    Uncertain
    Location
    Floriderp
    Posts
    3,468
    Blog Entries
    95

    Follow CommanderPigg on Tumblr Visit CommanderPigg's Youtube Channel

    Default Re: Do you find Shooty to be an interesting rival?

    Quote Originally Posted by HilbertCressLover View Post
    The Alder episode sounds really interesting...! I'd like to see Trip get flustered...
    Yes, it was very cute. The potential for this is really exploitable but the writers don't seem to be jumping on it right away. I mean, proof that Trip isn't just a battling machine? Pretty golden if ya ask me.

    Maybe Trip doesn't have any actual memories, so he constantly takes pictures to never forget stuff? I think that'd be interesting. Trip has to have SOME reason he's always taking those pictures of his journey. Or maybe it's just basic to take pictures of it?
    Ugh, no offense, but that sounds a bit superfluous. Reminds me of Anya from Code Geass :/ I'm pretty sure that Trip just wants to take pictures because he wants to stalk ash. It's not even a significant part of his character design, he hardly even brings it up =_=

    That being said, I don't need some woobie-sue backstory for him to be interesting. I just want to know a bit more about his motives and his reasoning behind his philosophies. And if they're flawed, obviously it leads room for character development (which, the Alder episode heavily hinted at). Experiences shape one's personality, so what shaped Trip? We don't know yet, thus, it's hard to relate with him.
    Shinneth and Trainer Yusuf like this.

    "seasons change, people change"

  15. #240
    Caught in a lab romance~ Araragi-hakase's Avatar Head Administrator
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Nuvema Town, Unova
    Posts
    2,992
    Blog Entries
    9
    Follow Araragi-hakase On Twitter
    Follow Araragi-hakase on Tumblr

    Default Re: Do you find Shooty to be an interesting rival?

    Quote Originally Posted by HilbertCressLover View Post
    Trip has to have SOME reason he's always taking those pictures of his journey. Or maybe it's just basic to take pictures of it?
    To post them on his Facebook, of course



    The thing with Shooti, though....we're 50+ episodes in, he's supposed to be Satoshi's main rival, and so far he's only come off as a pretentious brat, knowingly or not. Even when he helped Satoshi during their battle by taking the pictures of Miju to show him that his eyes were closed, but it didn't come off as him genuinely wanting to help him as much as it did "haha, why didn't you not know this?" and ego stroking. In BW022 for example, it showed how hard headed he was, even if he came around eventually. Sometimes it feels like he's TRYING to be redeeming, but still comes off as kind of a dick. When Shinji did it, it was cool because, it was Shinji, this was the way he was, but we still don't really have a good feel for why Shooti is.

    The only time I really felt for Shooti at all was the Adeku episode (and okay seeing him as a bb petting the Buffron was pretty damn adorable). I really do hope the experience of having his dreams crushed does something for his character, or at least makes his motives more clear. If his motives really are/were just about wanting to be strong and become Champion eventually, eh... There must be something more to this. If next time we see him, he has some kind of revelation about it, awesome, though I'm not expecting it to happen.

    I don't hate Shooti at all, I just wish we knew more about him :/

Page 16 of 31 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •