Do you find Trip/Shooti to be an interesting rival? - Page 15

Page 15 of 31 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast
Like Tree730Likes

Thread: Do you find Trip/Shooti to be an interesting rival?

Default Re: Do you find Shooty to be an interesting rival?

Quote Originally Posted by Afrojisiac-19 View Post
    He has a camera.
    And he takes pictures. What more could you need?! O_0

No, but seriously...The best kind of rival we've had is Paul so far...Gary was the first, and is set in stone, and his place in pokemon history cannot be changed. But as Johto progressed, his appearances diminished making it hard to evaluate how he would match up with Ash in their rivalry.

Silver from the GSC games is one of our favorite rivals because he's the epitome of a trainer who's a jerk. He's rude, cocky, arrogant, very bitter and angry, and probably a thief...This is why Paul was welcomed with such open arms because he was the closest thing to an anime version of Silver. He didn't intitially warm up to Ash like how Gary did while their rivalry cooled off. He wasn't a friendly rival like Richie either, he was just a stuck up, cold-hearted, douchebag bastard, and we LOVED it.

I think the problem with Shooti/Trip is that he seems to be somewhat loosely based off of Paul's character. Perhaps the writers saw how popular a character like Paul was, so now they try to throw a few Paul trait's in Trip, but still make him different. However, the only reason Trip IMO feels superior to Ash is because of his low opinion of trainers from Kanto, that and he takes pictures, and has an admiration for Unova Champion Alder...but uh....I don't see enough potential in him yet as a character to stand on his own...
    Agreed. As a character Trip's an expy of Cheren with traits of Paul thrown in for good measure and he's not interesting enough to stand on his own. When he's not on screen I honestly don't ever wonder what he's doing in his spare time.

"Strong Pokémon. Weak Pokémon. That is only the selfish perception of people. Truly skilled Trainers should try to win with the Pokémon they love best". -Karen

"For every pokemon there is a purpose and a time when it can shine under the sun." -Blue1225

Blog Entries

Follow Yato on Tumblr

The anime would've been a little better if Trip was replaced with Cheren. Cheren with his personality in the games. I find Cheren to be a quite competitive rival - somewhat power-hungry, knowledgable, not a stuck-up, and nice in some ways. If done right, he could've appeared as a slighty snobby child prodigy and it would've been okay. I can imagine a friendly rivalry, and informations given and taken with slight reluctance, but out of kindness XDD

I agree with one of the users above me that Paul was the most closest thing ever to Silver in the games, and even though I disliked his personality, I enjoyed his storyline. He was epic, and I found myself looking forward to Paul episodes. Gary had the right personalities representing the rival in Gen1 and III, but the amount of screentime was just not enough.

Trip... I don't know what to say about him. He's not Paul, he's not Gary, he's not like Cheren, and he's not even like those nice rivals in the Hoenn games. His character isn't well-defined. He's a mashup of loads of other rivals, and his personality isn't distinguishable. He should've been given a more unique attitude.

El_
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HilbertCressLover View Post
    First off, I don't think N would make a good rival for Ash. I think he should only be the " minor antagonist".
    N would have been PERFECT. He is the complete opposite of Paul in every way and that is exactly what we needed. You can't surpass Paul's success in his own field, the writers hit their creative limit in that area, but N would have allowed a lot of new avenues to be explored in the anime just like Paul did, and a lot of depth would be had in the story.

People are saying that Trip is mash up of every rival ever gone wrong, and I agree. There is absolutely no excuse whatsoever when creative rivals like N exist. I also hear that Trip exist because the younger audience needs to be taught the "basics" of Pokemon. Again, this was Cheren's role throughout most of the B/W games so they should have just used him for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue1225 View Post
    When he's not on screen I honestly don't ever wonder what he's doing in his spare time.
    Agreed. When Paul appeared I always wanted to know just what he was up to. It was very interesting with him around, even small appearances by him were worth it.

With Trip nobody gives a hoot. We all know that hes stalkin people, climbin in their windows, and taking their pictures anyways. Also putting down the occasional Kanto civilian/tourist. No, he doesn't train because he doesn't have to, like a good little Sue character.
    Last edited by El_; 3rd November 2011 at 03:04 AM.

The writers are lazy. Let's just call it what it is. Which is lazyness. They could have made Trip more interesting and maintain a better rivalry for you people if some people weren't so lazy. It's not that Trip is ugly, or anything. His rivalry with Ash just needs to have more of a reason for it. I like Trip's design and his voice. (Can't really tell the difference between his and Paul's)
    But like alot of things in this show, (Ash, Pokemon, battles) there is alot of things that could be done better. This is why I think that DP is one of the best because someone was working their butt off.

Quote Originally Posted by El_ View Post
    N would have been PERFECT. He is the complete opposite of Paul in every way and that is exactly what we needed. You can't surpass Paul's success in his own field, the writers hit their creative limit in that area, but N would have allowed a lot of new avenues to be explored in the anime just like Paul did, and a lot of depth would be had in the story.

People are saying that Trip is mash up of every rival ever gone wrong, and I agree. There is absolutely no excuse whatsoever when creative rivals like N exist. I also hear that Trip exist because the younger audience needs to be taught the "basics" of Pokemon. Again, this was Cheren's role throughout most of the B/W games so they should have just used him for it.
    Maybe we have different definitions of "rival". N wants to free Pokemon. Why would he waste time battling Ash, while hurting Pokemon in the process? If he was the minor antagonist then I can see them battling for something. Because N wants to free Pokemon from Trainers and Ash wouldn't like that. If N was just a rival to Ash then it wouldn't have any meaning to it at all. And to me the rivalry in Pokemon is like a lighthearted rivalry. Maybe not with Paul, but in the end if was cleared up with him. With N, I don't see him taking a rivalry which would probably be about freeing Pokemon, lighthearted. And since he's with Team Plasma, how would that count as a rivalry? Team Plasma is supposed to be evil (?), so I couldn't imagine that being counted as a rivalry.
    And when I said "minor" antagonist I was saying that Ghetsis is the main bad guy because he really doesn't care about Pokemon and just used N.

Follow Momoka on Tumblr

Well, he's not especially INTERESTING. He just needs some backstory. Like, maybe that camera was his only friend growing up... So he takes pictures to ease the pain of never having a real friend. If any of that just made sense. I was kind of typing without thinking.

I wanted Cheren to be the rival!!! Cheren is so cool. I mean, he doesn't really look like he'd fit in with the rest of them, but still. I think Cheren would've given some spark to the show. Which is just what we need.

Now, about some people saying that N needs to be the rival... No. Just no. If any of you have seen my other post, I'm going to repeat myself. N is way too awesome to be shoved as a rival. He isn't dull and he isn't goofy!! Besides, that would mess up his backstory, which I cannot have. Why would N keep coming back to test his skills against Ash?! he wants to free Pokemon from trainers. He only battles because he thinks that will help move along this plan. This wouldn't work at all!!!

Besides, I like the thought of N being the minor antagonist. Of course, ugly Ghetsis gets to be the major villain, since he's behind the scenes pulling the strings.

Well, either way, I just need N to show up and retain his awesome personality.
    HumanDawn likes this.

all my life I've tried to hide what history has given me

Blog Entries

I think we're derailing a bit too much off of the topic of Shooty.

Whoops, sorry about that.

Trip is like Cheren, but different. And in no other Pokemon season have they used a rival from the game. Oh, and I thought the whole battle between Trip and Cilan was interesting in the Don battle episode(s). I wish he would have stayed a bit longer though... His logic was interesting to me(about by watching he won't get any stronger), which no other rival has had before.

Gonna be a tl;dr Master! Shinneth's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Honestly, I thought Trip's logic was kinda bullshit. Sore loser or not, training on your own is not the only way to get more powerful. Watching other people battle, seeing their techniques and strategies go a long way in teaching a trainer how many methods of battling there are, and a taste of what Trip himself may have to encounter either during his journey or during the Unova League. So Trip is only screwing himself out of gaining more knowledge and experience just because he's being a petty little bitch about losing so early on.

Though honestly, I'm kinda glad he didn't stick around because his input was pointlessly negative; he was pretty much a male Iris in this saga before he was up to battle. So it's a weird trade-off.

This may be a stretch, but I think Trip's reaction and decision to make an early exit here might confirm that he's not really a prodigy after all (unless he's one of the bullshit variety like Iris is). Sure, Paul made an early exit in the League, but he's experienced. Vastly experienced compared to Trip. And it turned out that he watched the Ash/Tobias battle on TV anyway, so there you go.

So yeah. Trip makes idiotic statements, which would actually make sense because he's a n00b, but nothing will come of this. He'll be back to being superior to Ash for no reason the next time they battle, I'm sure, and this will all be largely inconsequential.

Chapter 19: Black Ice Battle!
    plurk | SPPF | dA | ff.net

Follow Momoka on Tumblr

Hmm... I don't think Trip is really smart with battling. I mean, watching IS kind of a way of learning. I mean, as an example, if Pikachu touched a hot stove and Oshawott saw what happened, he'd learn not to do what Pikachu did. Like asking questions. You learn if you ask, but if you keep it to yourself, you'll never learn.

I just think what Trip really needs is a REASON. What is he fighting for? Alder? His camera? Himself? We don't know any of that. I mean, I think Trip should explain what it is about Ash that he doesn't like. Like, we know why Paul is battling. And Barry doesn't really need a reason. He's just hyped up on coffee Barry.

I still think that the people who don't like Trip STILL aren't going to like him, even IF he does do something good. If he does get some type of shallow back story, then you'll all just probably say he's being like Paul... Paul was a good rival, make no mistake, but... I think Trip messed himself up from the beginning. Like a scar that will never heal.

I think there should be some shocking discovery that Trip was actually spying on Ash for Team Plasma!!! Ha ha.... That would never happen. He should get some interaction with N, though.

all my life I've tried to hide what history has given me

Quote Originally Posted by Shinneth View Post
    Honestly, I thought Trip's logic was kinda bullshit. Sore loser or not, training on your own is not the only way to get more powerful. Watching other people battle, seeing their techniques and strategies go a long way in teaching a trainer how many methods of battling there are, and a taste of what Trip himself may have to encounter either during his journey or during the Unova League. So Trip is only screwing himself out of gaining more knowledge and experience just because he's being a petty little bitch about losing so early on.

Though honestly, I'm kinda glad he didn't stick around because his input was pointlessly negative; he was pretty much a male Iris in this saga before he was up to battle. So it's a weird trade-off.

This may be a stretch, but I think Trip's reaction and decision to make an early exit here might confirm that he's not really a prodigy after all (unless he's one of the bullshit variety like Iris is). Sure, Paul made an early exit in the League, but he's experienced. Vastly experienced compared to Trip. And it turned out that he watched the Ash/Tobias battle on TV anyway, so there you go.

So yeah. Trip makes idiotic statements, which would actually make sense because he's a n00b, but nothing will come of this. He'll be back to being superior to Ash for no reason the next time they battle, I'm sure, and this will all be largely inconsequential.
    I didn't think he was being a sore loser about it. He just lost and felt like he had to train more to get stronger. And maybe he's the type of trainer who can't learn just by watching battles. Maybe he has to be DOING them. And about Trip being negative, I felt like he was just expecting a lot from Ash in his battle against Burgandy. And I think that shows that he might actually respect him.
    And about Trip not being a prodigy, maybe he isn't, but tries to make himself believe he is? That could be interesting...

Blog Entries

Follow FinalArcadia on Tumblr Visit FinalArcadia's Youtube Channel

Anyway, Trip is a different sort of rival. He's not a jerk like Paul, and he doesn't make fun of Ash like Gary. Trip intentionally or unintentionally helped Ash out by showing Ash his Oshawott had it's eyes closed when doing aqua jet. He could have done that to make fun of him, but he really didn't. He was just showing it to him, and it helped Ash and Oshawott master the attack. Even though Trip is always downing Ash by calling him a Kanto "boonie", he isn't really that much of a jerk to him. And I can see that as a way of Trip trying to be friends with Ash. He seems like the type who wouldn't know how to interact or make friends with people, so maybe by kind of calling Ash names, he is just trying to get familiar with Ash. I think that shows how different Trip is from Gary or Paul, and that's a good thing to me. Well, those aren't my only examples, but those are the ones I can think of from the top of my head. Anyway, my whole point is, Trip doesn't try to be, and ISN'T like Gary or Paul. He is interesting and unique in his OWN way.
    And maybe there'll be an episode showing why he doesn't like Kanto people.
    You just described how Trip is different than Paul or Gary, but NOT how he is interesting in his own way. That's the thing, he's NOT. Trip's got a camera. Okay...that doesn't have nearly the distinctiveness as, say, Drew and his rose. The rose was a part of Drew's character. The camera...? Not so much, and it just seems tacked on. Trip doesn't have any real backstory that we know of, he doesn't have a motivation for beating Ash, he doesn't really have any meaningful interactions with other characters besides Alder (Paul had Reggie and Barry, and those interactions were ALWAYS interesting)...

Seriously, I just can't think of anything Trip has that is worth mentioning or that makes him a compelling rival.

Quote Originally Posted by FinalArcadia View Post
    You just described how Trip is different than Paul or Gary, but NOT how he is interesting in his own way. That's the thing, he's NOT. Trip's got a camera. Okay...that doesn't have nearly the distinctiveness as, say, Drew and his rose. The rose was a part of Drew's character. The camera...? Not so much, and it just seems tacked on. Trip doesn't have any real backstory that we know of, he doesn't have a motivation for beating Ash, he doesn't really have any meaningful interactions with other characters besides Alder (Paul had Reggie and Barry, and those interactions were ALWAYS interesting)...

Seriously, I just can't think of anything Trip has that is worth mentioning or that makes him a compelling rival.
    Trip does have a personality and he is interesting. To me, he looks like he thinks he's better than most people, but still polite. Like, when he bowed down to Don George after his battle with Ash. We all know he likes to say basic, and I find that interesting for him. It's kind of a way of putting Ash down, but not like the way Gary and Paul did. Trip does it more in a subtle way, but isn't really mean to Ash. He likes to take pictures of everything and that could make for an interesting development for his character. Is there some REASON he likes to take so many pictures? There has to be. His motivation for beating Ash could be that he wants to beat Alder, but Ash also does. So, since they both want to, Trip wants to defeat Ash. And maybe later on, there'll be more character interaction with Trip. Reggie came in to the show later, so maybe someone will for Trip too.

Blog Entries

Follow FinalArcadia on Tumblr Visit FinalArcadia's Youtube Channel

Trip does have a personality and he is interesting. To me, he looks like he thinks he's better than most people, but still polite. Like, when he bowed down to Don George after his battle with Ash. We all know he likes to say basic, and I find that interesting for him. It's kind of a way of putting Ash down, but not like the way Gary and Paul did. Trip does it more in a subtle way, but isn't really mean to Ash. He likes to take pictures of everything and that could make for an interesting development for his character. Is there some REASON he likes to take so many pictures? There has to be. His motivation for beating Ash could be that he wants to beat Alder, but Ash also does. So, since they both want to, Trip wants to defeat Ash. And maybe later on, there'll be more character interaction with Trip. Reggie came in to the show later, so maybe someone will for Trip too.
    If saying that everything is "basic" is all it takes to be interesting, then I guess EVERYBODY is interesting. And Reggie came in DP066 (if memory serves) so if somebody is going to come to make Trip interesting, they better come soon. But the thing is, Paul didn't even need Reggie to be interesting. Reggie gave him some new depth, that's for sure, but Paul was interesting even on his own. The interactions with others only made him better.

Trip is going to need more than an older brother (a Reggie) or stalker with a man-crush (a Barry, oh how I miss Barry...) to make him entertaining to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by FinalArcadia View Post
    If saying that everything is "basic" is all it takes to be interesting, then I guess EVERYBODY is interesting. And Reggie came in DP066 (if memory serves) so if somebody is going to come to make Trip interesting, they better come soon. But the thing is, Paul didn't even need Reggie to be interesting. Reggie gave him some new depth, that's for sure, but Paul was interesting even on his own. The interactions with others only made him better.

Trip is going to need more than an older brother (a Reggie) or stalker with a man-crush (a Barry, oh how I miss Barry...) to make him entertaining to watch.
    Not everybody says stuff is basic. Only Trip. And maybe someone would come if the Black and White anime wasn't so obsessed with pointless filler episodes. And I never said somebody had to come and make Trip interesting. But apparently he needs someone? Alder should come though and speak with Trip.

Page 15 of 31 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast