Do you find Trip/Shooti to be an interesting rival? - Page 14

Page 14 of 31 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast
Like Tree730Likes

Thread: Do you find Trip/Shooti to be an interesting rival?

Moderator Hidden Mew's Avatar Forum Head

Default Re: Do you find Shooty to be an interesting rival?

Quote Originally Posted by Caseydia View Post
    Since we all saw how old Cheren was from the game, they probably didn't want to make him a ten year old shrimp. Ask yourself this, would you really have the writers make him or Bianca his Age? I would rather a stranger than a game character to change. The writers aren't going to make Ash grow, so might as well use someone no one knows. Plus, Bianca isn't acting very much like a more serious rival. If they wanted, they could have made Bianca his main rival but it doesn't seem to be cutting it for a rivalry just as much as Trip is.
    I still don't think that Cheren looks that much older than Ash and since he and Bianca are the same age, I believe, and they have no problem with using Bianca, I don't think that the writers should have any problems using Cheren. Even if he was too old looking, it really doesn't take much effort to slightly alter his design to make him look a bit younger, even though I still don't think that he looks that much older than Ash. It actually would make more sense to use a rival from the games, especially when Black and White has more rivals than in the other games, than to create an anime-only rival. The series' main purpose is to promote the video games and by using more characters that are from the games, especially in the role as the main rival for the main character, it would do a better job in promoting the games and the new characters from the games. I still don't understand why they decided to create Trip instead of using someone like Cheren and his age is definitely not even a factor for that decision. I don't even think the ages of the new trainers from the games is why they didn't use Hilda since they can easily be de-aged with a slightly different design and they don't look that much older than ten to me either.

I don't think that Bianca could function as the main rival. Even in the games, she's the weaker rival and the main aspect of her character is that she's struggling to find what she really wants to do with her Pokemon on her journey. I don't think that has come up yet in the anime series, but I think that's because they want to make Bianca more of a comedic relief rival like Barry than showcasing her personal story and struggle to discover herself from the games.
    Shinneth, El_ and Sith Droideka like this.

Quote Originally Posted by HilbertCressLover View Post
    Okay, that's completely different. This is the ANIME, and usually something like that is meant to add character. And being experienced has nothing to do with being good at battling. I mean, in the games it would, but I don't think that applies to the anime.

I meant that since Ash who won against Paul and Gary, and lost against Trip, makes Gary and Paul look like they aren't as good a trainer as Trip. Thus, making them look bad as a trainer.
    Being experienced has nothing to do with being good at battling. I'm sorry, but what the heck are you talking about? It has everything to do with being good at battling. That's the entire point people are trying to make by saying it makes no sense for Trip to be better than Ash or most people really. He has no prior experience yet he's defeated Ash numerous times, when Ash is one of the most skilled trainers in the Pokemon World.

Well, maybe instead of blaming Trip, people should blame Ash. I mean, Ash is the one who stinks at battling, making all of his other rivals that he beat look bad. And Ash is the one who randomly decided that Trip would be his rival. And I think dreading Trip's appearance is a little drastic. Trip's episodes are my more favorite one's(well, I guess since I actually like Trip). But, I guess that's sort of irrelevant. Anyway, Trip has the whole Alder thing going for him. Was it to beat Alder someday or something? Well, anyway, my point is, he has some sort of goal which kind of adds to his character. Did Paul or Gary have something like that? My mind is going kind of blank at the moment, so I don't really remember, and that could be why I can't think of more things to say about Trip being a good character. But I'll put it here when I think of something.
    Ash does stink as he is now, but everyone (Even the people who dislike him) knows that he shouldn't. After everything he's been through and the experience he's gained he shouldn't lose to any new trainer, no matter what Pokemon he's using. He's made it to the Top 4 in 2 league competitions, conquered the Battle Frontier and was declared Champion of the Orange League. How could any person who stinks at battling accomplish that?

Quote Originally Posted by Zidane View Post
    I have to wonder, I mean would it be so hard to have Ash actually be ahead of his rival for once? But, no...we can't have Ash actually bring out his reserves, and crush Trip early on...thereby taking a different approach to a rivalry. That apparently would be bad story-telling. Instead, we choose to have Ash being schooled by a noob...since that apparently makes sense. Ash who has beaten legendaries, and accomplished more than anyone his age..must be written to be inferior to a rookie trainer just starting out.

If Trip had been written to have taveled multiple regions, and gone through various leagues like Paul..then hey it would have made SENSE. Paul had just as much experience as Ash did. He participated in the Kanto, Johto, and Hoenn leagues prior to meeting Ash. It made sense that he could be superior to Ash. But yes, apparently completely disregarding Ash's skills as a trainer, and shitting on continuity is what BW is all about. *rolls eyes*
    I agree completely. What I want to see Next Gen is have Ash's main rival be a beginning trainer like Trip, but to have Ash also be in a more Mentor type role as well. Kinda like Wally from the Hoenn games. Ash mentors him as the show goes on, while also serving as the rival the kid wants to defeat.

Quote Originally Posted by El_ View Post
    Worst rival character ever. Hes so bland and uninteresting. There is no passion in the rivalry, in his character, nor any real goal to him at all. He wants to be the Champion? So does nearly every Pokemon trainer in existence so who the hell cares.

He doesn't care about the rivalry with Ash and honestly neither do I. If you removed Trip from the B/W anime you honestly could hardly tell the difference, except that it might be better due to Ash not losing to some little arrogant newbie trainer.

To be honest, Ash had a better dynamic in the one time that he battled with Drew where Drew schooled him on Contest battles than hes had in all the time that hes battled with Trip. Its that bad.

This is who we needed as a step up or continuation from the likes of Gary Oak and Paul:

I cannot stress the amount of depth that N would have brought to the B/W anime as a rival character. The themes that he touches on were some of the deepest in the series.

What we got instead was a wannabe downgraded Gary Oak. I also dunno why they didn't just introduce Cheren, who is basically the same as Trip without all the blandness and arrogance and is overall much more interesting.
    I agree. The interactions between N and Ash would've been amazing. N, with his ideals on Pokemon being oppressed by people and needing to be separated, and Ash, who's basically the poster boy for good human/Pokemon interaction. The arguments they would've had could have added so much to the series.

"Strong Pokémon. Weak Pokémon. That is only the selfish perception of people. Truly skilled Trainers should try to win with the Pokémon they love best". -Karen

"For every pokemon there is a purpose and a time when it can shine under the sun." -Blue1225

[QUOTE=Blue1225;3614952]Being experienced has nothing to do with being good at battling. I'm sorry, but what the heck are you talking about? It has everything to do with being good at battling. That's the entire point people are trying to make by saying it makes no sense for Trip to be better than Ash or most people really. He has no prior experience yet he's defeated Ash numerous times, when Ash is one of the most skilled trainers in the Pokemon World.

I was talking about experience points. You know, Pokemon experience points. Cause I've seen Pikachu lose too many times to have high experience points. But I really don't think it's fair that people blame Trip for being good at battling. Maybe he trained before he started his journey? What if he went to a Pokemon school? Maybe he did, maybe he didn't. So I think it's unfair to blame Trip for being good at battling.
    Last edited by Squall Leonhart; 2nd November 2011 at 12:30 PM. Reason: Oops, I'm not good at quoting...

Registered User The Fighting Misty's Avatar
    Blog Entries

It just makes Trip a Garu stu. He's good just for the sake of being good. Maybe if he wasn't a beginning trainer and he was training for years it'd be a different story, but we literally saw him pick his first pokemon and start his journey.

As I said when Ash eventually beats Trip in the league, it'll feel like it means nothing, because we all know Ash was better than him from day 1 anyway.
    Sith Droideka likes this.

You think you're bad, don't ya? Karamazov's Avatar Administrator
    Blog Entries

Follow Karamazov on Tumblr

^ I dunno, I don't think Tip is actually good. He beat Chili and Ash, and EVERYBODY beats them at some point.

I think Shooty Shitty isn't very interesting because of Ash. Ash's rivalry with Gary worked because back then, Ash did whatever he could to beat Gary. With Paul, the rivalry worked because Paul's training style really clashed with Ash, and they had a lot of conflict. Tripping Balls doesn't really have any conflict with Ash. He can't argue with Ash, because Ash'll jjust smile like a nimrod, nodd his head, and challange him to a battle. Ash's is too inoffensive.

That's why he works better with Iris: Iris knows how to get under his skin, she can be offensive. She's the one who can get Snooty out of his shell.

tl;dr: Shitty's boring because Ash is kodomo ne; Shitty would be less boring if Ash stood up and said "Hey, fuck you too, buddy."
    Trainer Yusuf likes this.

"Playing around?" Wrong.

Blog Entries

Follow FinalArcadia on Tumblr Visit FinalArcadia's Youtube Channel

So I think it's unfair to blame Trip for being good at battling.
    Trip doesn't make the battles that interesting. Being good at battling isn't the issue. It's the fact that being good is literally ALL he has going for him. Paul was good at battling, and he kicked Ash's ass. But Paul also had depth, drive, something to strive for...He and Ash were battling to prove who's training style was right, with their pride on the line (as Reggie said). Trip is good, but there's no reason for him to be good. He never saw his older brother's dreams get crushed. Paul did, so it made sense why he was so dead-set on strength and power, and in turn why he was a battling prodigy.

We never get to know Trip's Pokemon either, and that hinders his effectiveness as a rival. We saw Paul and his (former) Chimchar, Electivire, etc. Trip has Servine and Vannilite, and they just seem like robots mindlessly following Trip's orders without any emotion.

And Ash beat Paul and Gary before. Now, with Trip beating ASH, it seems to belittle Paul and Gary, which also irritates me. Because you can't tell me that Trip is currently stronger than Gary or Paul. There's just no way.

Gonna be a tl;dr Master! Shinneth's Avatar
    Blog Entries

But I really don't think it's fair that people blame Trip for being good at battling. Maybe he trained before he started his journey? What if he went to a Pokemon school? Maybe he did, maybe he didn't. So I think it's unfair to blame Trip for being good at battling.
    While these are plausible possibilities for Trip, they aren't canon. They don't bother giving us any explanation for why Trip as a whole goes against the entire concept of being a new trainer. He does not really act like one at all and naturally this will raise questions of WTF? - justifiably so - because Trip is not befitting of the role he was given. The lack of conflict is a big reason why this rivalry is so underwhelming, though I figure if we're to believe Ash is as experienced as he's supposed to be, he shouldn't have to sink to the level of newbies and trolls who berate him for the stupidest of reasons. Really, Trip's flak doesn't warrant much of a response since his end is nothing but baseless assumptions (barring the one time he caught Oshawott in action) and xenophobia. That's completely different from Gary, who had childhood backstory with Ash to warrant some notable back-and-forths, and Paul who actively challenged Ash's entire philosophy for battling and training and Pokemon as a whole.

So while Ash isn't helping by letting this shit slide, the shit he's being given is really hardly worth anyone's attention, much less his.

And again, making Trip a newbie was probably the most critical mistake. It's a loss of scope; we've gone from a rivalry with equally-experienced trainers with vastly different methods of battling and training that was very deep in nature to... a rather petty rivalry of Ash being ridiculously more experienced than the guy kicking his ass this time with poorly-justified wins (if they're even justified at all) where nothing's truly being challenged and it's just an overly-simplistic confrontation. Hell, one could call it the very core basics of foundng a rivalry, except it's so basic that it lacks an identity and a driving force behind it to keep us interested.

And down the line when Ash eventually defeats Trip in the League... in the long run, it won't mean very much because Ash has been the more experienced battler all along. We've just had to deal with years of bullshit reasons for Trip to be ahead and it's so underwhelming that it's honestly depressing.

Chapter 19: Black Ice Battle!
    plurk | SPPF | dA | ff.net

[QUOTE=HilbertCressLover;3615977]
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue1225 View Post
    Being experienced has nothing to do with being good at battling. I'm sorry, but what the heck are you talking about? It has everything to do with being good at battling. That's the entire point people are trying to make by saying it makes no sense for Trip to be better than Ash or most people really. He has no prior experience yet he's defeated Ash numerous times, when Ash is one of the most skilled trainers in the Pokemon World.

I was talking about experience points. You know, Pokemon experience points. Cause I've seen Pikachu lose too many times to have high experience points. But I really don't think it's fair that people blame Trip for being good at battling. Maybe he trained before he started his journey? What if he went to a Pokemon school? Maybe he did, maybe he didn't. So I think it's unfair to blame Trip for being good at battling.
    The problem with that idea is that there's been no proof that Trip did any of those things before his journey. Many people wondered why Paul was so good when he first appeared, yet it was never really implied that he was a beginning trainer. In fact, the opposite was implied and later confirmed when we learned he'd been through about just as much as Ash had. As it is, we know Trip's a beginning trainer. Even if he say went to a special academy or did a lot of self study before he started his journey that would only take him so far. That would put him ahead of other beginner trainers, but that wouldn't enable him to just beat a Gym Leader right off the bat and it certainly shouldn't make it possible for him to compete with someone of Ash's caliber.

"Strong Pokémon. Weak Pokémon. That is only the selfish perception of people. Truly skilled Trainers should try to win with the Pokémon they love best". -Karen

"For every pokemon there is a purpose and a time when it can shine under the sun." -Blue1225

First off, I don't think N would make a good rival for Ash. I think he should only be the " minor antagonist". Ghetsis would be the main bad guy.
    Anyway, Trip is a different sort of rival. He's not a jerk like Paul, and he doesn't make fun of Ash like Gary. Trip intentionally or unintentionally helped Ash out by showing Ash his Oshawott had it's eyes closed when doing aqua jet. He could have done that to make fun of him, but he really didn't. He was just showing it to him, and it helped Ash and Oshawott master the attack. Even though Trip is always downing Ash by calling him a Kanto "boonie", he isn't really that much of a jerk to him. And I can see that as a way of Trip trying to be friends with Ash. He seems like the type who wouldn't know how to interact or make friends with people, so maybe by kind of calling Ash names, he is just trying to get familiar with Ash. I think that shows how different Trip is from Gary or Paul, and that's a good thing to me. Well, those aren't my only examples, but those are the ones I can think of from the top of my head. Anyway, my whole point is, Trip doesn't try to be, and ISN'T like Gary or Paul. He is interesting and unique in his OWN way.
    And maybe there'll be an episode showing why he doesn't like Kanto people.

First off, I don't think N would make a good rival for Ash. I think he should only be the " minor antagonist". Ghetsis would be the main bad guy.
    Anyway, Trip is a different sort of rival. He's not a jerk like Paul, and he doesn't make fun of Ash like Gary. Trip intentionally or unintentionally helped Ash out by showing Ash his Oshawott had it's eyes closed when doing aqua jet. He could have done that to make fun of him, but he really didn't. He was just showing it to him, and it helped Ash and Oshawott master the attack. Even though Trip is always downing Ash by calling him a Kanto "boonie", he isn't really that much of a jerk to him. And I can see that as a way of Trip trying to be friends with Ash. He seems like the type who wouldn't know how to interact or make friends with people, so maybe by kind of calling Ash names, he is just trying to get familiar with Ash. I think that shows how different Trip is from Gary or Paul, and that's a good thing to me. Well, those aren't my only examples, but those are the ones I can think of from the top of my head. Anyway, my whole point is, Trip doesn't try to be, and ISN'T like Gary or Paul. He is interesting and unique in his OWN way.
    And maybe there'll be an episode showing why he doesn't like Kanto people.
    Why would Ghetsis be the main antagonist when he wasn't in the game?

How is Trip not a jerk? He constantly insults Ash's skills and the fact that he's from the Kanto region. Dude, you're entitled to your opinion of course, but it seems to me like you're grasping at straws and looking for an excuse to make Trip better than he is. He's unique in his own way in that he seems to think people from other region's are ignorant hicks. The way the Oshawott thing was presented it was like he was just making an observation just to make it. Didn't seem like he was doing it for Ash's benefit.

Gonna be a tl;dr Master! Shinneth's Avatar
    Blog Entries

There's nothing wrong with liking Trip or finding him interesting, but I personally need a little more than "he isn't just like Gary or Paul" to find him legitimately interesting in his own right. There have been opportunities to make him more fleshed out that just get passed up on, and when you get right down to it... Trip really isn't all that unique. Literally the only thing he's got that no other rival has had yet on the show is the xenophobia, which feels like more than one Unova character has to some degree and isn't really something to celebrate over.

The thing is, while Trip is his own character and isn't 100% blatantly copied from one particular rival, he feels more like a jumbled mess of past rivals mixed together. In design, he's literally color-reverse Paul with slimmer eyebrows. They just shamelessly rehashed the Gary Oak "I'm always one step ahead of you" thing in Trip's most recent appearance despite that it really makes no sense for Trip to have that characteristic at all. The vaguely-helpful nature that's on-again, off-again calls back to Drew in a way, if I'm not mistaken. And let's not forget Todd Snap was the first paparazzi-in-training character for the anime, even though he wasn't a rival.

So he doesn't really feel very unique to me. And even if he did, he's gotta be more than unique to be an effective rival. I don't think we should be on our knees praising this character just because he isn't a total clone of Paul or Gary. It's not exactly much of an accomplishment.

Chapter 19: Black Ice Battle!
    plurk | SPPF | dA | ff.net

I always thought Ghetsis would be the main bad guy because N really had no idea that he was just using him.

I'm not saying anyone should be praising him, I just like Trip, and I'd like to make him seem more likeable to people other than me. Anyway, I'll still be thinking of other things to say about Trip, but that doesn't mean anyone has to agree with me. I'll just try to defend Trip, that's all.

Registered User Trainer Gabriel's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Trip may not be a direct clone of either Gary or Paul, but his personality is still nothing too different from what we haven't seen before. No matter how to try to look at it, he's still blandly unoriginal with no redeeming qualities.

Oh, and his design is very similar to Paul's; so he's still a carbon-copy in that category, at least.
    Shinneth likes this.

Best squid ever Bouffalant Herdier's Avatar Forum Head
    Blog Entries
    Follow Bouffalant Herdier On Twitter
    Visit Bouffalant Herdier's Youtube Channel

Whether Ghetsis appears in the anime or not, (I certainly hope he does) he didn't reveal his true intentions until the final scene of the game. He'll be more than happy to let brainwashed N do all of his dirty work, so it'll make perfect sense for N to be the main rival until that moment arrives in the show. I would much rather see the both of them and the effect their story would have on Ash & co instead of what we're currently getting with Trip, plus it would tie-in with the game.
    Last edited by Bouffalant Herdier; 2nd November 2011 at 10:03 PM.

Who is this git?

He has a camera.
    And he takes pictures. What more could you need?! O_0

No, but seriously...The best kind of rival we've had is Paul so far...Gary was the first, and is set in stone, and his place in pokemon history cannot be changed. But as Johto progressed, his appearances diminished making it hard to evaluate how he would match up with Ash in their rivalry.

Silver from the GSC games is one of our favorite rivals because he's the epitome of a trainer who's a jerk. He's rude, cocky, arrogant, very bitter and angry, and probably a thief...This is why Paul was welcomed with such open arms because he was the closest thing to an anime version of Silver. He didn't intitially warm up to Ash like how Gary did while their rivalry cooled off. He wasn't a friendly rival like Richie either, he was just a stuck up, cold-hearted, douchebag bastard, and we LOVED it.

I think the problem with Shooti/Trip is that he seems to be somewhat loosely based off of Paul's character. Perhaps the writers saw how popular a character like Paul was, so now they try to throw a few Paul trait's in Trip, but still make him different. However, the only reason Trip IMO feels superior to Ash is because of his low opinion of trainers from Kanto, that and he takes pictures, and has an admiration for Unova Champion Alder...but uh....I don't see enough potential in him yet as a character to stand on his own...

Page 14 of 31 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast