Do you find Georgia/Langley to be an interesting rival? - Page 2

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree48Likes

Thread: Do you find Georgia/Langley to be an interesting rival?

Blog Entries

Follow Bubble Frog on Tumblr

Default Re: Do you find Georgia/Langley to be an interesting rival?

I really thought the Donamite was very successful in giving Langley some much needed layers and development, given she's the only rival who I felt who's developed and matured in BW, I was glad to see that. Not only that but, she had very humorous moments as well. I thought it was pretty cute how she was so happy to see Iris win and interested in her battle smiling and showing a concerned faced, and how she said Iris had grown up a bit as a person and matured. I really liked how she's all "iris will totally win!" and how she wants to see Iris become stronger and become a "befitting Dragon Master". Really cute, and I liked how she left on good terms and Iris herself being embarrassed of herself and saying she definitely wants to become a befitting D-Master herself.
    Last edited by Bubble Frog; 2nd January 2013 at 01:09 AM.

Yes! Langley is a very interesting rival. She brings life and gives Iris a reason to work hard. If she had dragon Pokemon of her won, she would really drive ratings!:)
    Last edited by Caseydia; 14th April 2012 at 10:52 AM.

Blog Entries

here's the thing I have with Langley (and Cabernet by extension). Aside from their introductory episodes, they've only reappeared in tournaments. We've only seen their personalities and progression in a certain environment, namely the battling/competitive one. I feel like they're just glorified tournament rivals and aren't really significant until we see them outside of that. The Don battle episodes have to split focus on all of the competitors and I'd like to see another ep focusing mainly on Langley/Iris and Cabernet/Dent.

Also, love the mutual bitchiness between Iris and Langley. Yeah it doesn't make Iris seem like the good guy, the one to be cheered, but I don't want that. I've never really understood why the protagonist always has to take the high road and respond to their rival's jeers with happiness, forgiveness and acceptance. Screw that! An inhospitable personality usually begets an inhospitable response, so kudos to Iris bring her brand of bitch to someone who actually deserves it this time. Not to say Langley is one dimensional, but she acts that way around Iris because she doesn't like her. Not to mention Iris has always played the sarcastic, rude and belittling girl - to act all nice and heroic in front of the Langley would just make her seem hypocritical and fake in my eyes. At least the writers are consistent in that department.
    Ambipom666 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by WildGamer View Post
    here's the thing I have with Langley (and Cabernet by extension). Aside from their introductory episodes, they've only reappeared in tournaments. We've only seen their personalities and progression in a certain environment, namely the battling/competitive one. I feel like they're just glorified tournament rivals and aren't really significant until we see them outside of that. The Don battle episodes have to split focus on all of the competitors and I'd like to see another ep focusing mainly on Langley/Iris and Cabernet/Dent.
    You've got a point. Since Iris and Cilan's rivals are in Ash's Don tournaments now, it seems like all that energy and focus is going to other people instead of each other. This is why I think they could have made other mini tournaments for them instead. It is cool to ha ve them involved but I feel that with some much characters going on in one place, it feels like there is no room to breathe. I also agree that they need to have more battles and events outside of the Don battle seperate from the Don battle to give Iris and Cilan their needed attention.

Registered User Trainer Gabriel's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I think her character is interesting, but I find her rivalry with Iris somewhat stagnant by this point, since right now it just involves her reminding Iris to use Dragons and Iris just ignoring her and battling with whom she wants. I am hoping that gets somewhere, though; because if it does, then I'll find her even more interestng, knowing that she will be the key to pushing Iris toward her goal (even if it is just for Georgia's own reasons) and actually puts more effort into Axew's growth.

But, again, I do still like her personality, and as an individual character, and she's probably my second favorite rival of BW. She just lacks advancement toward her rivalry with Iris.

Blog Entries

A funny thing I found when rewatching(more like skimming through, but whatever) her debut, she calls Dent "kimi". I guess they never stopped making comparisons between main girls and Satoshi. Regardless though, it explains why BW081's premise is similiar to BW022.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hellwarden View Post
    So....everyone is happy that a "Deux Ex Machina" is being taken down with another Deux Ex Machina....
    Quote Originally Posted by Iteru
    You know, it would be hilarious if Harley did get a sex change and became Langley.
    Youtube account, DA account, SerebiiForums account, Tinypic account, Imageshack account, Photobucket account,Smogon account, Blog, Pokémon Series Analysis Dropbox Folder, PO/PS Username: Yusuf Kaya 3.0

Blog Entries

Follow Yato on Tumblr

If they improve the rivavlry between Iris and Georgia, I think she's going to be known as one of the most wonderful rivals. For now, they don't have much tension between them, but rather kiddy arguments.

Georgia is a good rival and is very interesting. I just feel that if Iris would be a little more threaten by her then things would be better in the rivalry department. But now I feel that it's the other way around.

Blog Entries

Default should Langley/Georgia have a better goal?

this is the one Rival I'm iffy about in the B/W series. the character is great, but I feel her goal is....empty. from what I've gotten, she is a Dragon Slayer whose dream is to defeat a powerful Dragon user from the Land of Dragons, to avenge her parent's defeat. now a revenge plot is Ok, but really that means her goal is kind of empty, because that means she should be targeting Drayden instead of Iris or something. and when she finally beats someone..then what? Ok, she got her revenge, but as anyone whoknows anything about revenge knows, you are left with a feeling of nothing in the end. It'snot like Ash's goal to be a pokemon master, or iris to become a Dragon master [s]which she becomes in the future[s] or Cilan and Burgandy who want to become S-Class connoisseurs? when she beats someone, she has nowhere to go, really. unless she plans on taking down lance or a Tao dragon or something.

maybe I'm the only one who thinks this, though. what are your thoughts?

Blog Entries

I should note that Langley's parents have nothing to do with it; her own Pokémon was beaten.

Moderator Hidden Mew's Avatar Forum Head

Default Re: should Langley/Georgia have a better goal?

Quote Originally Posted by fawfulmark2 View Post
    this is the one Rival I'm iffy about in the B/W series. the character is great, but I feel her goal is....empty. from what I've gotten, she is a Dragon Slayer whose dream is to defeat a powerful Dragon user from the Land of Dragons, to avenge her parent's defeat. now a revenge plot is Ok, but really that means her goal is kind of empty, because that means she should be targeting Drayden instead of Iris or something. and when she finally beats someone..then what? Ok, she got her revenge, but as anyone whoknows anything about revenge knows, you are left with a feeling of nothing in the end. It'snot like Ash's goal to be a pokemon master, or iris to become a Dragon master [s]which she becomes in the future[s] or Cilan and Burgandy who want to become S-Class connoisseurs? when she beats someone, she has nowhere to go, really. unless she plans on taking down lance or a Tao dragon or something.

maybe I'm the only one who thinks this, though. what are your thoughts?
    I'm not sure if I have a problem with Georgia's goal itself. It is kind of limiting, especially when there aren't a lot of Dragon types in Unova, but I think that the problem I have with her now is just her obsession with beating Iris. Even before being defeated by Dragonite, she would act like she's the only one who has the right to beat Iris because of her Axew, which sounds fine on paper, except that she already defeated Iris before. Axew wasn't really strong and personally, I don't think that it is now, despite the overpowered moves it gets, but her desire to defeat Iris doesn't make a lot of sense to me when the best she could do before Dragonite was a tie. Even then, she was easily able to defeat Axew with no problem. I think that my problem has less to do with Georiga's overall goal and more to do with her motivation to battle Iris, which I think is just going nowhere still. I do think it makes more sense for Georgia to go after trainers who are actually already strong with their Dragon types instead of just telling Iris to hurry up and become a Dragon Master so that she could beat her, even though she already has.
    Shinneth likes this.

No they just threw her in there for no reason, she sucks and should have stayed a CotD.

Blog Entries

The character itself, is a really nice welcome.

But I kind of hoped she would be more usefull instead of trying just to beat Iris or as a punching bag.

The sound of drums
    Blog Entries

in my book she is the third most interesting rival in BW only losing to bianca and stephan

Banner created by Princess of Hoenn.

Default Re: should Langley/Georgia have a better goal?

Quote Originally Posted by Hidden Mew View Post
    Even before being defeated by Dragonite, she would act like she's the only one who has the right to beat Iris because of her Axew, which sounds fine on paper, except that she already defeated Iris before. Axew wasn't really strong and personally, I don't think that it is now, despite the overpowered moves it gets, but her desire to defeat Iris doesn't make a lot of sense to me when the best she could do before Dragonite was a tie. Even then, she was easily able to defeat Axew with no problem.
    Yeah, she's just sort of stagnant at this point. It doesn't make much sense, and it's kind of disappointing, because her early appearances were wonderful and she had a valuable place in the character dynamic, bouncing off all the others. I kind of feel like Iris just sort of pities her right now, which is sad since she clearly has more interest in beating Iris specifically than actually beating dragon-types, since a) she could beat Iris/Axew early on, b) she... could just go off and actually fight them. I'm not sure I want them to be friends just yet, but there's a lot of potential between the two and... they're just wasting it! :C

I'd love to see her have more meaningful interaction with Burgundy, too. Basically, I love her, but in the same way I loved her at the start and in the same ways. She hasn't levelled out like Burgundy has, and even she has a bit to go. Fortunately there's still time. I just hope they don't rush it all at the end or start fading her out. Georgia's a lot of fun.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast