Do you find Georgia/Langley to be an interesting rival?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree48Likes

Thread: Do you find Georgia/Langley to be an interesting rival?

Blog Entries

Default Do you find Georgia/Langley to be an interesting rival?

This is the thread for more in-depth discussion about Langley's personality, relationship with Iris, storyline, etc.

I'm ambivalent on Langley myself. There's two Langleys: Langley when she's interacting with Iris and Langley when she's interacting with other characters. The latter works very well. I loved her rudeness when telling Dent to cook better or her interactions with Bel and Cabernet during the Don Battle tournament. It's something that allowed us to see some layers to her character, layers that are lacking when she is interacting with Iris where she becomes very one dimensional and very much unlikable for the sake of making the audience root for Iris. The best rivals (Shinji, Shigeru, Harley, Urara, Sho, Cabernet) were likable in their own way or had a reason to be unlikable that made them compelling and interesting as characters, but with Langley, there's very little backstory, and she just seems unlikable for the sake of making another character likable.

On her own or with other characters, she's interesting, but her rivalry with Iris leaves me cold.

Best squid ever Bouffalant Herdier's Avatar Forum Head
    Blog Entries
    Follow Bouffalant Herdier On Twitter
    Visit Bouffalant Herdier's Youtube Channel

Default Re: Do you find Georgia/Langley to be an interesting rival?

I love Georgia, but I'll admit I'm probably biased towards her, because I can't stand Iris either.

She isn't as amusing as Harley, and she doesn't garner any sympathy like Bianca or Burgundy do, but her passionate hatred of Iris is enough to make me forgive her flaws, despite being an even bigger jerk. I've always been able to tolerate flat out nasty characters than more passive ones, and her and Burgundy's snarky comments during the Don Battle Arc were easily the best parts of that horrible mess.

I'm interested to find out what happened at the Village of Dragons to make her hate Dragons so much, but I worry she won't make enough appearances throughout the series to provide much to her back-story. I would also love the irony if she began using Dragons herself to defeat others.
    Last edited by Bouffalant Herdier; 13th February 2012 at 02:16 PM.

Who is this git?

Gonna be a tl;dr Master! Shinneth's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I like Georgia... but only when she isn't interacting with Iris. Her designated rival drags her down in every scene they share together, highlighted in the Don Battle arc where Georgia got to interact with several different characters and had a very interesting and entertaining chemistry with them.

This sort of reminds me of the Conway situation; a wonderful, interesting character with so much potential... but of all the rivals he could've had, he ended up with the one he never interacted with prior to the League. So there was nothing to go by. If he were Dawn's rival, he would've been much better utilized... yet despite that miscasting it didn't really reflect badly on Conway; it was just that we knew he could've done a lot more if he were given the proper role. And it helps that DP Ash, despite having no real quarrel with Conway, was a likable character and the concept of having a nerdy, methodical, by-the-books rival was actually a very fitting rivalry situation for Ash to have.

The problem in Georgia's scenario is that, unlike DP Ash, Iris brings nothing to the table on her end. Because it's not just Georgia she drags down; it's pretty much everybody in this series that suffers this. You can't make much of a rivalry when the supposed "good guy" is shown to be every bit as petty and bitchy as the adversary, even provoking the ego-stroking mockery shit for no reason, and then it's no wonder why Georgia is the way she is. These rivals have no chemistry; you never saw May or Dawn or Ash stoop to their own rivals' levels whenever they were being provoked, did you? They were shown to be above the kind of nature their rivals were for the most part, so it inspired us to make them want to win.

With Georgia and Iris? Honestly... I don't give a damn what happens in this rivalry. But since the writing in BW is horrifically bad and Iris gets benefits without having to work for them, I feel that whenever they meet next it'll only reflect poorly on Georgia and damage her credibility as an actual threat. So truthfully, I actually don't WANT to see them battle it out again if only for that reason.

So, is Georgia an interesting character? For sure; the Don Battle, horrible as it was, at least proved that. Is she an interesting rival? ...

As Iris' rival, no. But then again, I doubt anyone could make a good rival for Iris, so I don't fault Georgia herself on that. As Ash's rival, she'd probably have fared much better. She's simply in an unfortunate scenario where she's stuck with someone who only serves to drag her down and make a mockery of her role. It's really sad, honestly. I'd swap Trip for Georgia for a heartbeat for Ash's rival.

Chapter 19: Black Ice Battle!
    plurk | SPPF | dA | ff.net

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

Georgia would have been interesting if -
    1) She was younger. (around Ash's Age)
    2) She was both Ash & Iris's rival.
    3) She develop feeling for Ash & get's too clingy around him causing Iris to get jealous.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kishore View Post
    3) She develop feeling for Ash & get's too clingy around him causing Iris to get jealous.
    - wasn't the last thing done before numerous times one way or another the last 14 years?

Also I am not too big on Georgia. She has this weird fixation of beating dragon trainers, especially from that village that she lost at. Don't find that interesting... Although she is more tolerable to me when she is around the other people.

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AshK View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kishore View Post
    - wasn't the last thing done before numerous times one way or another the last 14 years?

Also I am not too big on Georgia. She has this weird fixation of beating dragon trainers, especially from that village that she lost at. Don't find that interesting... Although she is more tolerable to me when she is around the other people.
    When ?
    I just remember Macey who show up for only one episode !
    Melody doesn't count since she's a movie character , Nether a rival or Referring character.
    So, where do you find it Numerous ?
    But your are right about Georgia isn't interesting enough with her current plot . Which is why I said that She would have been more interesting as a 10 year female rival/referring character with a Obsession with Ash while developing a rivalry with Iris
    Last edited by Hurricane Kishore; 13th February 2012 at 04:17 PM.

Blog Entries

Please do not turn this into a thread about Satoshi and his shippings. The topic is Langley, and what you think of her as a character and a rival.

She is an interesting rival but her rivalry with Iris is like Trip's and Ash's. Iris doesn't seem affected by her as a rival normally would. Even though she is a bit of a sneak. Her interactions with other characters are good but since she is supposed to be Iris's rival, I hoope there is more for her to get Iris hyped up about.

Blog Entries

Her rivalry with Iris actually has a lot of potential, because of Iris' fear of Ice-types. If Iris was shown to be more fearful or apprehensive about Langley, the rivalry, for me, would be a lot more interesting and would present an opportunity for Iris to not only show how well she's raised her Dragon-types, but also get over her fear of Ice-type Pokemon.

Unfortunately, the rivalry just seems to be a contest of who can spite the other the most and it has no effect on either character, which renders it pointless. The whole point of rivalries in the show is to lead to development for the better in the two characters involved, but at the moment I can't see how Iris or Langley can come out of this as better characters.

Langley as a stand-alone rival has potential because she just has that sort of personality that make people want to confront her, but her scope is a bit small. She wants to battle and defeat Dragon-type Pokemon, and that limits who she could face off against on the show. To get the best out of her, I feel she needs to be involved in a storyline with Axew.

So overall, I feel she has potential but isn't being utilised in the correct way.

Blog Entries

Follow Bubble Frog on Tumblr

I love Langley she's the most entertaining rival in BW for me. Never has there once in Pokemon been two characters who really really seem to hold so much outer animosity toward each other as Iris and Langley. It's refreshing for me because had Harley who probably is the second best rival in all of Pokemon, and his conniving and crazy ways really helped Haruka in her development. Urara came off to me as too much of a Harley clone, mainly because they both embarrassed their rivals in a contest, and both had that same "planning to fuck up your life, and I secretly hate you" demeanor. Langley doesn't have that, she came up to Iris and challenged her to an earnest battle and beat Kibago easily. She provided excellent comedy and development for Iris. Seeing Kibago recoil in fear from Tsunbear chilling breath, calling Iris a kid, and being a bit of a sadist in rejecting Iris's rematch, as well as being one of the few not to love Dento's cooking, her being a kid after defeating Bachuru and showing a playful side, are hilarious moment in her character.

Development wise, Langley really opened the door for Iris and Doryuzu. Iris using Doryuzu against Langley who easily got Doryuzu motivated to battle and subdued it easily, seeing Iris run up to Doryuzu concerned as it comes to and realizes it lost. Langley managed to beat Doryuzu and give him a kick in the pants. After this loss, Iris finally understands she really didn't understand Doryuzu's feelings and challenges Langley to a rematch. But, still she only manages a tie which was nice to see since it makes Langley look very threatening and shows that Iris and Doryuzu don't become this super dynamic duo after figuring out their problem and finally working together. It's realistic, very much.

Langley also has shown to really really want to "bust" Dragon Types. Because she had her ass handed to her by a Dragon Villager. I'm really interested how crushing her defeat was to make her become so callous toward Dragons seeing just that in the future would be a treat. There seemed to be some type of foreshadowing for it given back during the Don Tournament when Kibago is using Outrage Langley knows the attack and is effects and breaks sweat out of nervousness at the very sight of Kibago. So, that makes me think it's definitely something deeper than a simple defeat. Why is Langley on this journey? Who defeated her? Why does she want to punish Dragon Types so much? So many interesting things about her character that I look forward to. Seeing her after the Don Battle Tournament get in Iris face an have a tad bit of bitchyness in her tone, and telling Iris not to let the win go to her head. While not attacking or insulting Iris was defiantly a step toward something interesting, Iris neither lashed back either simply acting embarrassed at it and she gave Iris some nice words before she left. So, the writers are doing a good job with giving her some development and Iris some even if there small things like that. Langley is just a treat. XD
    Last edited by Bubble Frog; 8th April 2013 at 09:22 AM.
    Trainer Yusuf likes this.

Moderator Hidden Mew's Avatar Forum Head

I like Georgia. She's one of the more enjoyable new characters for me. I really liked her interactions with other characters in the Club Battle tournament, who weren't Iris at least, since it was an interesting contrast with her mean demeanor with all of the generally friendly characters. Though, I don't really feel much for her rivalry with Iris. I like that she's mean to Iris and calls her out for being a terrible trainer since Iris's flaws are generally downplayed and/or ignored by the other characters, but their rivalry hasn't had much of an impact on Iris's character. The main impact she has had was with defeating her Excadrill, but that didn't make Iris realize why Excadrill wouldn't listen to her. Cilan pretty much told her the reason and all she did was apologize, which suddenly got rid of the anger Excadrill had for years. Considering that their rivalry hasn't affected Axew in anyway, which is much more connected to Iris's goal than Excadrill, I don't think that their rivalry has had much of an effect on Iris, especially when she didn't really develop after getting Excadrill to listen to her.

The other major problem with this rivalry is that I question why I should root for Iris. Given their interactions in the Club Battle tournament and Iris being a main character, I got the impression that the writers wants the audience to support Iris, but due to Iris's own flaws and the terrible writing around her character, there's nothing about her that makes me want to see her win. If anything, this rivalry makes me want to root for Georgia to win since she actually has determination and works towards her goal of defeating Dragon Pokemon while in comparison, Iris has all of her accomplishments handed to her by the writers and she bragged about her skills through Zorua, despite only being able to tie with Georgia before and doing absolutely no on-screen training to justify her huge ego. If Iris' previous battles are any indication, then the writers will probably give her a victory over Georgia on a silver platter. I like her character and I think she's a really good trainer, but as Iris' rival, she doesn't interest me as much.

Princess of Sinnoh martianmister's Avatar

I really like her and her rivalry with Iris. And I will root for her...
    Trainer Yusuf likes this.
    1. Satoshi/Ash Ketchum: 801 episodes
    2. Team Rocket: 736 episodes
    3. Takeshi/Brock: 633 episodes
    4. Kasumi/Misty: 282 episodes
    5. Hikari/Dawn: 201 episodes
    6. Haruka/May: 197 episodes
    7. Masato/Max: 192 episodes
    8. Iris: 141 episodes
    9. Dent/Cilan: 138 episodes
    10. Kenji/Tracey: 44 episodes

Blog Entries

I feel sorry for Langley too much to really enjoy the rivalry. When I was watch the untranslated don battle arc I song the word "BITCH wars bitch wARS" repeatedly because I knew that was what it amounted to. I find this rivalry to be just a glorified flame war. Layers good characters have layers Langley needs layers.

Blog Entries

Finally a thread relevent to my interests! Thank you Infernofeline.

Short joke/troll post:

Serious, long post:

Random notes and stuff:

Speculative final note:

One final comparison/mindf*ck:

Quote Originally Posted by Hellwarden View Post
    So....everyone is happy that a "Deux Ex Machina" is being taken down with another Deux Ex Machina....
    Quote Originally Posted by Iteru
    You know, it would be hilarious if Harley did get a sex change and became Langley.
    Youtube account, DA account, SerebiiForums account, Tinypic account, Imageshack account, Photobucket account,Smogon account, Blog, Pokémon Series Analysis Dropbox Folder, PO/PS Username: Yusuf Kaya 3.0

I like Georgia because she was able to get Iris to actually bond with Excadrill. Being around Ash and Cilan has caused her to be on the downlow with her battling and Pokemon but with Langley, she somehow drags it out. I think it was smart giving her a rival to give her a little push. Can you imagine if she didn't have a rival and that only Ash and Cilan had one?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast