Do you feel the voices have improved since the cast change took place? - Page 3

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: Do you feel the voices have improved since the cast change took place?

Kip

Default Re: Do you feel the voices have improved since the cast change took place?

I couldn't stand most of the voices in Battle Frontier. But over DP, they started improving. Part of it might have to do with my getting used to them, but I think they've gotten better as well. Sarah Natochenny, in particular in my opinion, is doing a much better job as Ash. It's kind of strange- I've gotten so used to old and new voices that I'm able to watch Kanto episodes, turn right around and watch DP episodes, and not be bothered at all by voice changes.
    Trainer Lisa likes this.

Registered User The Fighting Misty's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Do you feel the voices have improved since the cast change took place?

Funnily enough TR sound the same in BF as they do now. In BF they didn't do too much of that rhyming garbage which ruined them in DP. I do notice that Brock did sound off in early BF, which is strange but he gets better really quickly.

Other than that Max's voice was horrible. I know a lot of people don't care since by that point he was such a minor character even the writers stopped caring about him, but its amazing how the change of a voice can totally make you dislike a character. Thank god Max didn't sound like that all throughout Hoenn.

Blog Entries

Follow Egghatch on Tumblr Visit Egghatch's Youtube Channel

Yes, the current VA's are definitely much better than they were in DP and Battle Frontier. However, I'll always prefer the original VA's.

I like BW's voices except for Ash's. His voice still sounds like he got punched in the throat.
    Trainer Lisa likes this.

I've always wondered if Kayie Rogers continued playing Ash Ketchum, if her version would be moretrue to Veronica Taylor's than Sarah Natochenny's.

Especially when Kayzie played Squirtle in Teah Go-Getters Out Of The Gate. With some aadjustments, it could of been great, IMO.
    Trainer Lisa likes this.

Moe
    Blog Entries

Dunno if anyone else notices it that much, but I think the overall sound quality differences matter a lot more than the voice acting. The movies and the episodes since going HD all have a distinctly different sound quality that makes the voices very different, even when 4kids were dubbing it, when it came to the movies (well the later ones) the better audio quality made them sound very different from their voices in the regular episodes, so much so that they seemed like different people.

A similar, but not as noticeable, difference between the non-HD and HD episodes of DP also makes the voice acting sound a lot nicer to hear, while making the voices sound slightly different again.

Professor Oak is the only character I still think never sounded right after the change. Max/Brock and Team Rocket all sounded fine to me shortly after getting over the shock of being different, May took a bit more time (and still sounded a bit too old by the end) and Ash slowly refined over time.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Moe View Post
    Professor Oak is the only character I still think never sounded right after the change.
    I agree. I mean the new Prof. Oak "sounds" somewhat like the old one, but just the way he talks made it never sound just quite right. I also loved Oak's original voice.

Max/Brock and Team Rocket all sounded fine to me shortly after getting over the shock of being different, May took a bit more time (and still sounded a bit too old by the end) and Ash slowly refined over time.
    For Max I disagree, his PUSA voice was horrible. They just made him sound like a one-dimensional nerd unlike his 4kids voice which made him sound like a regular kid. I know it didn't matter as Max was barely around for long once PUSA started dubbing, but his new voice was awful.

As for May, I always thought she sounded the most similar to her old voice, along with Brock and Jessie, than any of the others. I even thought May's voice surpassed Veronica Taylor's version in some aspects.

RONALDO!!
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Caseydia View Post
    I like BW's voices except for Ash's. His voice still sounds like he got punched in the throat.
    This. His voice sounds like he's dying sometimes as well
    Trainer Lisa likes this.
    For the last time, BW is NOT a reboot.
    (Copy and paste this to your signature if you agree)

Follow 146Chris On Twitter
    Visit 146Chris's Youtube Channel

I think the voice actors have gotten a LOT better then in battle frointer. They dont sound like 4Kids but they can get the character's prortayed well.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Caseydia View Post
    Same here. I like all the voices in B/W, except for Ash's. His new voice will never sound right to me.

I mean, the voice itself isn't exactly bad. What bothers me, is simply the fact that it's different.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees4life View Post
    This. His voice sounds like he's dying sometimes as well
    That's true. Especially in seasons 9 through 12, I couldn't stand Sarah's Ash. In my opinion, her acting and portrayal of Ash during D/P was terrible (except for Sinnoh League Victors when Sarah started showing signs of improvement). However, now, I can tell that her acting has really improved. And with the B/W series, I can finally tolerate Sarah's Ash voice.

In conclusion, Sarah's definitely not as bad as she was back in Battle Frontier and D/P. So, I do think she has gotten better (which has allowed me to enjoy watching the B/W episodes). But no matter what, I'll always see Veronica Taylor as Ash Ketchum. No one can bring Ash to life the same way that Veronica can, and this still holds true today. =)

Quote Originally Posted by Dustox View Post
    I've always wondered if Kayie Rogers continued playing Ash Ketchum, if her version would be more true to Veronica Taylor's than Sarah Natochenny's.

Especially when Kayzie played Squirtle in Teah Go-Getters Out Of The Gate. With some aadjustments, it could of been great, IMO.
    I actually think that Kayzie would have improved, and she would have pulled off a fantastic Ash voice. ^^

Because, there's a random D/P episode where Kayzie voiced a random kid. And he sounded A LOT like Veronica's Ash. I'm not kidding! It was amazing! O_O
    Last edited by Trainer Lisa; 29th November 2011 at 01:59 AM.

Blog Entries

I think the reason people don't have a problem with the voices now is most of the old characters are gone. Iris and Cilan have no 4kids VA's obviously, neither did Dawn or the other DP characters, so there was nobody older to compare them to.

I always did think that May, Brock, and Jessie had the best new voices, back when Battle Frontier began 5 years ago.

Blog Entries

To be honest, I never liked May's new voice. But I'm biased, so of course I would say that. =P

Anyway, as for the new voices, I like Brock and Jessie the most. In my opinion, they sound closest to the original voices.

And Gliscor'd, I think you're forgetting something. Cilan is voiced by Jason Griffith, who happens to be a 4Kids VA. Just wanted to correct you. XD

I like May's voice. But Ash's really needs to get back deeper. I still don't like it like it is.

Blog Entries

I suppose the difference is we never heard May's new voice for very long. Just the last 50 or so BF eps, Movie 9, and her 4 DP episodes. Meanwhile Ash/Brock/TR were still around for another 5+ years with the new voices.

That being said at points I prefered May's voice over Veronica's, especially in Movie 9 and the Kanto Grand Festival. Sometimes I wonder if Veronica Taylor would have pulled off those scenes as well.

Blog Entries

Yes, managed to watch all the way through Season 9 roughly 3/4* months ago via offical pokemon website and Sarah definitely gotten better since then, though I did like Veronica's version of May better

*might be slightly off when Season 9 aired on the website

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast